Deadbeat Dads on the decline

Deadbeat Dads on the decline

A Story by sthrlnd (annmarie)
"

article

"

Deadbeat Dads on the decline?

Recently it has been mentioned that the number of Deadbeat dad's' is on the decline.
You might be saying, Great News! However, is this accurate information and to whose benefit?
First, I would like to look at the definition of a Deadbeat dad'.

According to Wikipedia, Deadbeat dad or Deadbeat mom is a person who has fathered or mothered a child but failed to pay support ordered by Family Court.
Real definition; an unrestricted parent treated equally, who chooses not to be a regular or supportive parent in their child's life.' (Source: wikipedia.com)

For every law there is a manipulation of that law. There fore, some people and possibly more will abuse the system to their benefit. Eventually while we are complacent and happy with the news that Deadbeat Dads are declining, some are slipping through the cracks. Single parents and children in many cases are still surviving under the poverty level.

Take for example the case of Dr. Dickie' in Ontario. This case is an extreme version of an example to my point.
Dr. Dickie an affluent plastic surgeon stopped paying child support for his three children shortly after re-marrying and moving to the Bahamas U.S., where the Canadian laws could not touch him. The court obtained a judgment ordering him to pay. He returned to Canada to appeal this in 2004, and received a sentence for contempt. He spent 45 days in jail. (Supreme Court Supported)
Dr. Dickie returned to the Bahamas and has not paid his Child support of $150,000.00 to this date.

Keeping this in mind, I would like to remind you of what role the Canadian Government' has played in its resolution of this growing problem.

http://www.mcss.gov.on.ca/mcss/english/pillars/fa milyResponsibility/debtors/list.htm

This link above is a display page put out by the Ministry of Community and social services Ontario, Canada.
In summary, it mentions the Canadian laws covering possible situations in a separation of parents and child support agreements.

I notice the theme of having a thread for different circumstances and appeals for variances when needed are available. Parents are encouraged to be regular and supportive in their child's life removing the monetary issues that discourage it.

However, these laws are to be enforced according to each Province and have no affect over-seas or in the US. Some province, such as Quebec has developed its own remedy' for the problem at hand.
We are a global nation and we have yet to figure out how to consolidate our provinces laws and enforcement of them.

There are many issues to take in consideration when looking at the reasons behind the choice of not paying child support.
Some custodial parents have been subject to abusive relationships and see the avoidance of support payments another means of their partner to continue abuse and do not pursue legal backing. Some non-custodial parents expressed that they felt the money paid is spent irresponsibly and therefore hold back on disbursement. Others use non-payment to dispute lack of visitation rights. The most common reason given for non-payment of child support is the deficiency of money to pay'.

According to the FRO (Family Responsibility Office), in 2004 non-compliance with support orders is less than 10%. Welfare re-payment cases make up 50-60% of FRO arrears. Others are making up for arrears caused by illness, unemployment, and disability, common occurrences for any family arrangement'.
In Alberta Canada 1994-95, 83.2 million dollars and in Manitoba, 31.3 million in child support arrears recovered. Ontario during 1994 collected 33 million per month, saving 37 million per year in welfare expenses. (Source: Statistics Ontario Canada, FRO)
The custodial parent on Social Assistance does not receive any extra money, even if support is collected.

So, how is this rated a success?
Overall, arrears are collected and newer laws that are varied put into place to curb the reasons for non-payment. As well as, more money for government programs to educate low-income single parents, directly benefits the child.
Over the past decade, there has been a hike in family allowance and the addition of a Universal Child Tax fund to help decrease childhood poverty.

I believe that Deadbeat dad is in fact on the decline and this directly benefits innocent children who deserve to live in peace and their custodial parent who strives for their daily survival.

We should never stop trying to salvage the basic family unit' whose structure is the core of our social existence.

© 2008 sthrlnd (annmarie)


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Not too sure how to read this, not sure if it is a statement or story, nice thou

Posted 12 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe

Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5

Stats

247 Views
1 Review
Added on February 5, 2008

Author

sthrlnd (annmarie)
sthrlnd (annmarie)

Canada



About
'I began writing at the young age of twelve. It started as an enjoyment/hobby and grew into a full blown Passion! I am a single mother and I work from home. I am currently taking a correspondence cou.. more..

Writing