Some People Drive Crazy!

Some People Drive Crazy!

A Story by Joanna Maharis
"

Belinda, Aunt Maureen, and Grandmother Saida are involved in a fender bender.

"
My name is Belinda. I like to spend my time with my loved ones. I don't go looking for trouble, in that I make every effort to obey the laws of the road. Too bad there are some people out on the road who shouldn't be driving at all, because of their incompetency. They're bound to cause trouble. I was driving down the highway with my Aunt Maureen on the left side of the back passenger seat, and my Grandmother Saida in the front passenger seat. We were on our way to the mall. There was traffic in the front of us. I had to slow down, because the car in front of me slowed down. That's when this car rammed my car from behind. I immediately stopped the car. I asked my grandmother and my aunt if they were all right. We had a small oxygen tank in the back seat behind the front passenger seat. My grandmother was hooked up to it. She had just got released from the hospital four days prior to that day. She had been in there for pneumonia. I got out of the car to inspect the damage to my car. There was a dent in my fender. When I looked for the car that hit us, I didn't see it. I then shouted, "Where the hell is the s. o. b. that hit my car? Damn it!" My aunt looked out of the window on the right side of the back passenger seat and told me that the car that hit mine pulled up next to us. It was a lady that looked to be in her late sixties. She just sat there, looking right at us, doing nothing but smiling. This woman obviously isn't in touch with reality, because if she was, she'd have some compassion and descency to come over to my car to ask if anyone was hurt. I thought.

A guy ran across the street to tell us that he saw everything and that he called the police who were on their way. He had just come out of a restaurant where he went to have his lunch break. He also told us that he worked for a tow truck company. He offered his services. However, none of us required towing services, in that both my car and the other lady's car was still in functioning condition.

Upon their arrival, the police took down his statement. Then they took down mine. When it came time for the old lady to give her statement, she was giggling like a school girl, because she thought the entire experience was funny. I couldn't believe what I was seeing. Either she was high on some kind of medication, or she was drunk in some way. Based on the way she carried herself in public when she talked, and acted like it was the happiest day of her life, I couldn't understand why the police officer never tested her breath for alcohol or even check the car for any medication she may have had on her and consumed, or even for the possibility of any illegal drugs in her possession. These conclusions crossed my mind, because no normal person would react the way she did to a car accident, regardless of how serious or benign it is. She also behaved in an animated way with her facial and hand gestures. To say the least, she was the one who got the ticket. For one thing, she hit my car from behind. For another thing, she didn't have her car under control.

© 2009 Joanna Maharis


Author's Note

Joanna Maharis
What do you think of the prose?

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Congratulations on winning the Eye Witness contest!

Posted 15 Years Ago


"Too bad there are some people out on the road who shouldn't be driving at all, because of their incompetency."--this sentence needs a bit working on. It seems a bit run one. Maybe try something like this: "Too bad there are some people out on the road, who shouldn't be driving at all. Some people are just too incompetent for this." Or anything that will break this into two sentences. (Also: typo--it should be "incompetence" not "incompetency")

There's a minor spelling mistake in the first paragraph: it's spelled "decency" not "descency".

"Based on the way she carried herself in public when she talked, and acted like it was the happiest day of her life, I couldn't understand why the police officer never tested her breath for alcohol"--the construction "based on the way she caried herself..., I couldn't understand..." is somewhat ood. You have two different subjects here. I'm not sure how you could rephrase this to make it sound better: maybe "based on what I saw of how she caried herlsef..."?

Now the pleasant part: it's an interesting story. I could clearly hear the indignation of the narrator and I could imagine this happening (which come to think of it, isn't that good, is it?). It's a quick and entertaining read: your style is light and pleasant.



Posted 15 Years Ago


I really enjoyed it though... it is amazing how some people can be... I think they should have given her a breathalizer test... years ago a woman turned in front of my mom causing an accident then had the nerve to try and sue her... a funny story but I am sure at the time you weren't laughing.

Posted 15 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

262 Views
4 Reviews
Rating
Added on January 22, 2009
Last Updated on January 23, 2009

Author

Joanna Maharis
Joanna Maharis

Kalamazoo, MI



About
Graduate of Western Michigan University with a BA degree in Writing, which has been my passion since the tender age of six. Grew up in Kalamazoo, Michigan where I currently reside. I love to read al.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..