LIFT UP THE FONDLED LEAF

LIFT UP THE FONDLED LEAF

A Poem by Joanna Maharis
"

In this piece, the narrator is looking for salvation in the one that she loves. Even if she has to endure the worst before the light comes into her soul.

"

If every man were a dagger,  then the earth would bleed over his frivolous body with loathsome masses of fleshy tombs.

For the creator is the Divine of the fundamentals when it comes to clinging to beliefs for a system that holds the iron bar over man's subjugated dreams.

Conjugate the phrases of cherry tongues that bubble over my ghostly flesh, and drive away sadistic beings that strive to overpower me with their foul minds.

Create the longevity of my crimson eyes that contain soulful visions of you and me dancing across golden fields of chance and rye.

Lift up the fondled leaf from the charred pages of your concave body, and hollow out your ghoulish nature, so the famished can be remised in the arms of thieves.

Cover my torso with your raven tresses, my lord, and allow me to drink seductive waters of your soul, in that I may engage in lawful acts of kindred streams.

© 2009 Joanna Maharis


Author's Note

Joanna Maharis
What do you think of the prose/imagery?

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

I could teach a class of this poem, I had to read it three times before I felt I could somewhat grasp it. Each phrase is packed with metaphor and meaning. The imagery is visceral and moving. I'd like to see you take it further, and extend the metaphor further, explore more the facets of salvation through love, or a woman in this case. I always enjoy your poetry.

Btw, I love Macbeth as well.

Posted 14 Years Ago


WOW. I found this piece chilling, macabre yet with this draw that was inescapable. It is like a controlled "rant" - it seethes on the page. Very powerful. Very visual. Well done.

Posted 14 Years Ago


What a fascinating piece... to see the good in someone over all there faults and love them anyways... we always hope it will help make them a better person.

Posted 14 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

156 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on October 1, 2009

Author

Joanna Maharis
Joanna Maharis

Kalamazoo, MI



About
Graduate of Western Michigan University with a BA degree in Writing, which has been my passion since the tender age of six. Grew up in Kalamazoo, Michigan where I currently reside. I love to read al.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


God Made Man God Made Man

A Poem by Legion