The Unmarked Trail

The Unmarked Trail

A Poem by StormeLight

I explored an unmarked trail

A path that made me weep and wail

It was long and winding

Along the way I made a lot of sacrifices

To find me

On this path I took forks

Not knowing if anything would work

I stand on a new road now

Teaching others how

To travel the unmarked trail

© 2021 StormeLight


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

• I explored an unmarked trail… A path that made me weep and wail

Here, you’re clearly forcing the line to the needs of the rhyme. And that’s a poem-killer, because the rhyming words should be exactly those that best fit the thought, not be chosen simply because you needed a rhyme and that’s all that came to mind.

More than that: What kind of path can make someone “weep and wail?” I’ve been in the outdoors for a lot of years, and have followed a lot of trails, but I never had one make me wail.

It might be that you mean a metaphoric trail, but only you know that. The reader will take the meaning the words suggest to THEM, based on THEIR background, as-they-read, Your intent for how to take the words never makes the page.

• It was long and winding…Along the way I made a lot of sacrifices

What does this tell a reader? That the trail was a trail, and that most it wasn't straight? and that the one speaking did some unspecified things, for unknown reasons? How is that poetic…or informative? Meaningful to you? I’m sure it is, and that it calls up experiences in your life. But who did you write it for? What does it call up in THEIR mind?

See the problem? You’re writing a poem that touches on events and sacrifices in your life as you read it, but should move the reader, emotionally.

Added to that, a structured poem either rhymes or it doesn’t. A single rhyme, or a few placed randomly, as you have here, does not a poem make. There’s a LOT more to writing poetry than there appears to be. So a bit of time spent digging into the tricks-of the-trade—the techniques the pros take for granted, makes a lot of sense, and, will make a huge change for the better in your work. The more you know, the more options you have.

In that, I have several suggestions:

1. To see the power a well chosen rhyme, coupled with knowledge of poetic structure, can have, take a look at: The Cremation of Sam McGee. Written over 100 years ago, it still has the power to get the reader tapping their feet in time to the cadence of the words. And the ending still brings a smile. Copy/paste the address into the URL window at the top of the page, and hit Return.
https://www.shmoop.com/cremation-sam-mcgee/poem-text.html

Then, look on the pages following the poem, for the analysis of why it works so well, even today.

2. Take a look at the Amazon excerpt for Stephen Fry’s, The Ode Less Traveled. It gives a great overview of the flow of language, and how we react to it.

Sorry my news isn’t better, but since you can’t fix the problem you don’t see as being one, I thought you might want to know of both the problem, and the way to fix it.

Hang in there, and keep on writing.

Jay Greenstein.
https://jaygreenstein.wordpress.com/category/the-craft-of-writing/the-grumpy-old-writing-coach/


Posted 2 Years Ago


0 of 1 people found this review constructive.

JayG

2 Years Ago

Hmm....smells like socks in here. A brand new account, logs in, has no work posted, and just happens.. read more
StormeLight

2 Years Ago

He's a friend of mine who wanted to read my writing so he came here to do that and saw your awful co.. read more
StormeLight

2 Years Ago

I would really like it if you did not make contact with me again, now, or in the future. I do not mi.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

40 Views
1 Review
Added on October 1, 2021
Last Updated on October 1, 2021
Tags: poetry, struggle, ptsd, recovery, trauma, spiritual

Author

StormeLight
StormeLight

Orem, UT



About
Just a writer, artist, and singer-songwriter, trying to stay alive and inspired in this crazy world! more..

Writing