The Deck Chair

The Deck Chair

A Story by Graham Douglas
"

A woman sits in a chair looking at the sea. Outwardly she seems fine but she is really not. Then the small unexpected happens.

"

The woman sat on the deck chair looking out to sea and imagined a far-off ship going to the tropics. There it would find the warmth she had never experienced. She enjoyed a good life in a material sense at least. In personal relationships, she had been less fortunate. And so, she could buy a gift for anyone but had no one to give it.

 

A child run across the beach carrying an inflatable ball. Something attracted the youngster to the woman. So, she threw the ball towards her. Affronted by the girl’s forwardness, she was tempted to retreat into her book with a glower. Instead, the woman sent the ball through the air and into grateful hands. For a minute, they amused each other as they played out a game. Then the girl gave a shy smile and ran off to somewhere unknown.

Brightened, the woman looked around and saw couples, families and groups enjoying shared companionship. She should have felt excluded but somehow she had reconnected with the human race. That was enough.

 

 The ship upon the grey ocean dropped below the horizon.

© 2017 Graham Douglas


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

128 Views
Added on July 12, 2017
Last Updated on July 12, 2017
Tags: sadness, loneliness, success, wealth, depression, hope, humanity, community, innocence, childhood