Caught in a Blizzard

Caught in a Blizzard

A Story by Summer Grace
"

Flash Fiction

"

She died as she lived, a storm. The day she was buried, there was a snow storm. The snow did not stop falling. There was some thought that the burial should be cancelled, but the ground had thawed enough to be dug, because the weeks proceeding had been warm, so everything was ready. Unfortunately, for those of us who lived out of town, coming to the funeral in the middle of the winter, she was buried anyway. Unfortunately, that is, because we had to go home in the inclement weather.

She was our great aunt, and not a nice one, I might add. But, she had money, so of course the funeral was well attended, even though most of us, particularly the younger generation, did not know her at all. Of course all these relatives could do nothing about the will now, but most of them had tried in her lifetime to ingratiate themselves with her. Had they succeeded? No one yet knew.

After the burial me and my sister Jane went back to the hotel. We debated if we should drive home in the weather that was fast becoming a blizzard. I finally said no. So there we were, caught in a blizzard, in a mostly strange town. We had visited her a few times in childhood, but barely knew her, we were young adults now. Our parents had told me and my sister to attend the funeral for them, as they were taking a trip around New Years, and didn’t care enough about looking good in the family or the money, to attend the funeral.

I watched the snow fall, and fall, and fall, from the window of the hotel. My sister had the TV on and would turn to me sometimes and comment on the weather.

“Why did we come here anyway, James”? my sister Jane complained “We didn’t even know her.”

I said something about it being the right thing to do. Which it was, I guess.

My cell phone rang as the snow fell outside. On the phone, was the voice of one of my mother’s cousins, the daughter of our great  aunt Mildred’s sister closest in age, who some said was Mildred’s favorite niece. She sounded upset. Officially, Mildred had had no children. But they had just read the will, and it revealed otherwise. We were caught in another blizzard, now. 

 

© 2013 Summer Grace


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Interesting story, I really think the detail was great. I definitely saw the funeral and liked the contrast of the white snow flakes on all the black funeral attire I saw in my head. Ending was a pleasant surprise as well, I wasn't sure where it was going to go, but I think it went to the right place. Cheers.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

Interesting story, I really think the detail was great. I definitely saw the funeral and liked the contrast of the white snow flakes on all the black funeral attire I saw in my head. Ending was a pleasant surprise as well, I wasn't sure where it was going to go, but I think it went to the right place. Cheers.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

143 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on December 9, 2013
Last Updated on December 9, 2013
Tags: family, death, surprise