The merchant damon

The merchant damon

A Story by mugdha
"

this was made solely on the requirments of a english project in school and bits of the story and the topic already i tried my best to make a good short story out of it. i hope evryone enjoys it.

"
Once upon a time, there was a young merchant named 'Damon' living in the town of mystic falls on the outskirts of Virginia. He was an arrogant and selfish man, never believed in spreading good however he did not support spreading bad, either.As, I said he was a selfish man and wanted to benefit from any outcome or situation regardless of how it affected others.He had learnt not to care about others as it never did any good to those who did care, he definitely knew that as he had learnt it the hard way. It was easy to say philosophical stuff like that, as it gave people hope for sure but when the time came when the needy begged, not a single lad held their hand out and that was the truth,as bitter as it sounded. 
Autumn had now visited Virginia, all the leaves had turned a beautiful shade of red, yellow and orange. Damon was sitting on a bench under a big maple tree at the edge of the big garden across the street, hidden from sight. he was observing, all the happy children running around carelessly as though they were birds flying in the peaceful sky which was now very bright and Damon realized that it certainly had been hurting his eyes. he remembered how once he also had a beautiful family, his mother,father,wife and two lovely little girls: Lily and Rose. At a young age, Damon had lost this beautiful family of his, this tragedy had hit him with full force as he was fighting, fort the pride of his country in the military. He had been robbed of all his happiness, so he possibly didn't believe in doing good as he had tried that once and it didn't quite work out for him, I suppose. 
He still remembered the promise he had made his wife when she taking her last last breath on the planet, soon she would leave him too he knew, so he stayed to make most the time he had left with her, she asked him to promise that,' he would live his last to the fullest, not live the burden of their deaths, to never regret what he dint have and to fulfill everything he wanted and last to never give up '.Tears welled up in his eyes as he remembered her smile, her eyes and her beautiful voice. She had said,"Don't pity the dead, pity the living, Damon.", yes,he remembered that of course, that was her punchline. She used to do that the humor in every sentence and that habit of touchy philosophical phrases. How could he possibly forget about them, their deaths due to the famine that had hit Virginia, nobody had helped his family he hadn't expected anybody to,they had their own families to feed.Some part of him had thought at that time though that someone out there would, because that is  what children were taught weren't they help each other in times of need, alas everyone is selfish after all he had learnt that too, everyone was selfish they just showed they all cared when he arrived, sad faced some nearby were even crying but he knew all that wasn't true because if they actually cared enough his family wouldn't have died of starvation.He knew from that point that he had to be selfish if he wanted to achieve his goals. People called him selfish many times the same ones who hadn't helped too,he knew they had their own families to feed but then why accuse other people of lacking certain morals that in fact everyone in the town lacked. They told him that good would come his way, and certainly it had but not because of what he had sacrificed but because of what he had learnt from it because he had been selfish enough to agree that life wasn't fair and that sometimes to get what you want you had to take it not by theft but by using the brains gifted to them, he had made that clear to anyone who asked, again they called him selfish but he said that he wasn't a liar like everyone else he was strong and truthful and had learned to accept it the way it is and that has indeed made him what he was, today.He was a billionaire, he actually could grow  money on the trees.
From that horrible day he had one goal only that was to earn money,drown in it, swim in it and possibly to die drowned in it.Again, people said the bullshit," money cant buy happiness" but it could as it was the shortage of it that time that had robbed him of his happiness his family, and he wasn't that noble to give it to people like them who had stood and watched the tragedy that time. Few days ago, he had got a deal in his hand which had promised him a large amount of gold he was just on the way back to his mansion the Salvatore royal mansion, at the edge of the river. It was 4 in the afternoon, but he didn't care enough to pay attention to the warnings of the deputies that robberies were common at this time and so he got up to go back to the mansion. Suddenly, as though god had read his mind, it started raining, it was strange even at the beginning of fall. But he was,Damon Salvatore and he didn't care, too bad he thought he was planning to wash off his feelings and thoughts here in the rain but he had business to attend to, so he picked up his usual paper bag filled with  about 10,000 dollars( his emergency money, you may call it) and sat in his jeep, taking a brisk walk across the street. so, now he was heading back to the river property but he had about half an hour left, so he decided to take the short cut from the forest road . As he was driving his eyes landed on a black jeep heading his way packed with strange looking men he was sure to be goons. they looked his way with a greedy sort of a look. he kept a straight face and checked his paper bag tucked safely at his side as it was his money he was worried about not his own life and he almost got a heart failure when he realized the money had got wet due to the rain. He was disappointed that his hard work had gone in vain, as it might have been a very small amount compare to his huge income but he surely hadn't forgotten the value of money that had cost him a lot. The head of the gang, a ferrety faced large man, stopped the jeep in blocking Damon's way and Damon realized there was nothing he could do but give in and so he did. The goons for sure had noticed him checking the bag with worrisome looks and identified too easily what could be in it.Damon stopped his jeep and stood up, holding his hands in the air ,as a symbol of surrender. The head had now raised his gun at Damon's head,while the rest of the goons checked the bag only to find wet money.Meanwhile, a man from a nearby cottage had seen this happen, wide eyed he headed back into the cottage to call the police, Damon appreciated that but it was of no use. Cursing, the head now pulled the trigger, but the awaited bullet never came , it took Damon only a few seconds to decipher what had happened he supposed the gun powder had gotten wet, but he did not wait any longer to find out how many more guns they had.So he quickly started up the engine, and ran for his life, he gave the paper bag a thought however realized it was not ore important and so he drove. The robbers were also giving pursuing him a though but when they heard the Sheriff's van approaching, so they turned the other way round and left. And as for Damon, he now understood, that if not for the man living in that cottage he would have died, due to his own arrogance and so now he believed that there was good in some, waiting to be found but there were more who were selfish so he decided to be good in the memory of what had happened to his family and him. so he did noble works all along after that, now there is a statue of Damon Salvatore the savior they called him later, in mystic falls.
The end

© 2016 mugdha


Author's Note

mugdha
Guys,ignore grammatical problems, please write a review if any advice and i hope its not very short or closed, if so please do tell.i hope you enjoy this short story( however, its not all that short)

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Wow it's very long and close together but somehow I feel like the story sounds familiar. But great starting though.

Posted 7 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

55 Views
1 Review
Added on July 14, 2016
Last Updated on July 14, 2016

Author

mugdha
mugdha

Dubai, Dubayy [Dubai], United Arab Emirates



About
i am a free-thinker, who believes in sarcasm as the sole treasure of vocabulary andd P.S.: I AM THE REAL DUMBLEDORE and i hope my wise words will generate some sense into peope's minds that seem to be.. more..