Writers Block

Writers Block

A Story by J. Swaney
"

A short story about writers block.

"

Writers Block
J. Swaney

I slam on the brakes. My chair almost wheels out from underneath me. The blockade flashes at me. A yellow barrier with black accusing stripes. My guts roll over. I am busted, again.



“Ok, we've got you now."
"Just move real slow and no one will get hurt."
" Slowly, put your pencil down."
"Keep your hands where we can see them."
"Move away from the key board."


I followed the instructions. I laid the pencil down and began to rise. In order to keep anyone from getting too excited I rolled my chair back about four feet before I did so. My interior monologue screaming, 'F**k ! Why wasn't I watching ?' I should have seen the flashing lights. How long have the b******s been on to me ? '


"That's right, nice and easy now."
"Slowly drop to your knees, easy, easy now."
"Ok, very good now just lay forward, that's right, right down on your face."

The police came forward. They swarmed like wasps disturbed in their nests. They wern't there and then they were. One holding my head, and one on each arm, two more on my legs. Arms twisted and forced behind my back, cuffs biting into my wrists.


“That f*****g hurts Man!” I groaned through my pain and bondage. “I'm not even resisting.”

-In the interrogation room-

“People like you make me sick !” shouted the fat balding detective. I sat in the hard wooden chair, under the hot light. One hand cuffed to the chair. A cup of lukewarm Folgers instant coffee, and a single Cambridge Ultra Light 100 smouldering in the ashtray.

“You've got the cable. I've seen the bill. But ooooooh nooooooooo, Mr Swaney wants more. Home Improvement, isn't enough. It's the funniest thing I've ever seen. I just love it when he does that grunt. And what about That 70's show, how can Fez not be enough for you. We have gone to great expense to entertain and amuse you. Look at Lifetime Television, five minutes of some story about how her Stepfather is an ax murderer but no one believes her. And then some suggestions for perscriptions you should ask your doctor for to keep your hair in and make your dick hard whenever you want. We give you satellite radio, DVD's two for $12.99 at Blockbuster. And the internet full of every pornographic perversion you could ever dream of. And still you want more, you selfish non-conforming son-of-a-b***h.”

“Oh, we're onto you."
"You and you're group of creative friends" 'We think differently, we're speeeeeecial, look at our poems and stories.'”

As the cop mimicked me, a single drop of sweat rolled down the side of his cheek.

Suddenly the old bull almost leaped over the table and bunching my shirt in his hand shouted in my face.

“Don't you get it ! No one gives two s***s about your stories and poems. The world has moved on and now we will tell you what to think and how to feel. FHM will tell you what women are sexy, Nissan will tell you what cars are cool, The GAP will tell you what looks nice, Target will hypnotize you with swirls and pop-music, to show you that they are in and Wal-Mart is out. They paid for this right. Your friends must use Verizon, your employer will choose your health insurance. All you have to do, all your supposed to do is go to work, keep the f*****g lights on, and choose a news channel. We will take care of all the rest."




Three hours later,
I am released.
They can't decide what to charge me with.
I am unforgiven.
I am unforgotten.

The bust has worn me down.
I won't write anymore today.




J.
09/06

© 2008 J. Swaney


Author's Note

J. Swaney
I need all the help I can get and have a tuff skin... Don't hold back!

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Funny but also scary because it makes me think of the Thought Police from 1984

Posted 6 Years Ago


I must say, my friend, that this is definitely an interesting take on the subject of writer's block. I love the way you relate writer's block with being arrested. I look forward to reading more of your work.

Posted 15 Years Ago


Yes, I definitely enjoyed reading this and can certainly relate (to both the writers block and being arrested.) I look forward to reading more of your material.

Posted 15 Years Ago


Aside from typos, your writing is mucho grande, friend. It took me from line one to the last line. You held my interest. You are a good writer who handles words with a facility pumped from a creative head and an honest heart.

Sal

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I like the way you've told this, with just a touch of humor and a lot of frustration. Maybe if I focus on the humor I will be able to get past the frustration easier. Your description of the masses is both pathetic and realistic and highlights the reason I haven't watched TV in my own home in more than 20 years. I'd rather read. Keep writing, don't let the write police keep you down. lol

Posted 15 Years Ago


i'm torn between thinking that writing is an anachronism in today's life and its passing should be mourned and thinking that there are waaaaaay too many people writing who shouldn't be. i'm not including you in the group who shouldn't be writing. i like the story. lots of people like to be spoon fed pablum rather than chowing down on a steak. there's no accounting for taste, or lack thereof. keep writing. keep giving options to those of us who still like choices. well done.

Posted 15 Years Ago


A nice way to expose those frustrations! I particularly like the 'fat balding cop'...i'm assuming he represents that evil voice that tells us writers we are wasting our time? Good work. Well written; a little bit of pathos as well.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Very Ray Bradbury and Fahrenheit 451. I like this alot.

Posted 15 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

285 Views
8 Reviews
Rating
Added on August 22, 2008

Author

J. Swaney
J. Swaney

Bowling Green, CA



About
I"m a Jew, an Electrician, A convicted Bank Robber, A Husband, Father, GrandFather, and Step-Father.. I'm either Crazy or Very Creative. I groove on negativity because I am skeptical of most of the ot.. more..

Writing
The Devil The Devil

A Story by J. Swaney