Where My Spirit Lies

Where My Spirit Lies

A Story by Sarah Wlochal

My bedroom, a significant place to me, gives me free expression of my life. The quotes, pictures, and butterflies on my neon pink and green walls bring not only the past back to life, but also make me think about the future. My bed squeaks like guinea pigs when they get excited. The air that comes out of my vent feels like a cool summer’s breeze. The four walls enclose me, and I feel safe.
I come to my room to fantasize and escape from reality. My room is the only place where I can close the door and feel like a fairy full of unique, creative imagination. This is the only place that I can call my own. I carry a memory cloud in my head where I collect my thoughts and bundle them up to write my poetry. I sit down and open up my green spiral notebook. I get sucked in, as if I were in a fairytale book. Nothing can distract me when I feel the pen between my fingers. I hold my pen tightly, as if it were my baby. The ink spills out, like a squid squirting ink. Many words fill the page, taking me into my own world.
I turn on the light, and it smiles down on me. My lamp, with eight lights coming out of it, looks like an octopus reaching out to give you a warm hug. My room looks like a pigsty. Garbage, clothes, and books are scattered on the floor, about ready to eat me when I get up to walk. I take a whiff of my room and say, “Yuck”. The garbage has filled my room with a rotten smell, as if I were living at the dump. The buzz of the fly in my room echoes throughout my ear and I just want to kill it.
The pictures on my wall talk to me. Faces from every generation stare at me as I try to write. The pictures bring back many memories of before my whole world turned upside down. My mind floats like a butterfly trying to find its way. The words that I want to write are playing hide and go seek in the back of my mind. I try to get the switch in my mind completely turned on, a difficult task. To finish writing this essay will take a big weight off my brain.
I look at the quotes on my wall, and they greet me with words of encouragement and inspiration. Other quotes reflect upon my unique personality. I read them daily, as if I have never seen them before in my life. They help me get through difficult times, as if they were my best friends.
My stomach is growling at me. The aroma of mini tacos teases my nose, and my taste buds run wild. My mouth is watering like an ocean. I bite into one, and it feels like I am floating in the heavens. The crunchy shells and processed meat make the monster in my stomach quiet itself. My mouth is on fire, so I pick up my kiwi strawberry Juicy Juice, and suck the life out of it. The juice box is now deformed and the straw has teeth bites on it as if a shark attacked it. It will feel like I weigh 100 pounds more when I am finished.
As I sit quietly, I listen out the window and hear the cars zoom past. The exhaust fumigates the air, as a factory does when trying to produce goods. My nose is sniffling as I am trying to breathe through the pollution. The cars are not the only outside thing filling my head. Neighbor kids are outside running around, screaming as if they were chickens with their heads cut off. The neighbors are talking loudly; making sure the whole world can hear their conversations. My headache grows like weeds in a garden that you cannot get rid of no matter how hard you try.
My room holds all of my Egyptian artifacts and books. I open a book and it takes me back into the days of ancient Egypt. I wonder what it would be like to have lived in that period of history. My mind wanders off into the mummification I want when I die, like Tutankhamen. The 5-foot statue of Anubis protects me from the evil that may be near. Anubis acts like God, who watches over everything and reveals his powers as if magic powder softly sprinkles onto our souls.
High school cross country shirts, photos, and awards lie around me. I pick up my brown and blue shirt from a race we had at Luther College my freshman year. It still smells like four years of hard work and dedication. There is a medal, small but powerful from when I got first place in the 400 meter dash. This cross-country stuff makes me think of how much fun I had, while focusing on the goal of being a better runner. “Run like a zebra” was my motto, and that I did. Sadly, after my senior year, I quit running and now when I run my legs feel like jelly.
I turn on my music so loud it will blow my eardrums away. I listen to my favorite musical artist Mariah Carey. My lips mouth the words, and I feel like a famous singer. Making my own actions to the songs, I get up and dance as if I were a dancer on “Dancing with the Stars”. My life feels free; I capture the moment and put it in my pocket.
I sit back onto my mint green bed sheets and hear them ruffle under me. My bed makes that squeaky noise again, the noises sounding lively. The air conditioner freezes me into an icicle; I wrap myself in my red and blue blanket that the cross-country team made for me. It feels as if I am snuggling up against a warm, fuzzy bear for a great big bear hug. I still feel like I am turning as blue as a blueberry Popsicle. I reach over to the side of my bed and pick up a multi-colored tie blanket with butterflies on it that my godmother, Shelia, made for me. This blanket is nice and heavy; it must weigh 1000 pounds. I use all of my strength to lift it up; my muscles are bulging out of my arms. I finally reel that big bad fish in. It covers me from head to toe and the ice is chipping away from my frostbitten skin. I am beginning to feel warm, as if I were by a fireplace and the flames were heating me.
I notice my hands and lips are becoming as dry as the Sahara desert. I reach for my strawberries and wine hand lotion, and my raspberry lip-gloss. A little squirt, rubbing the lotion into my hands and putting the lip-gloss on my lips, everything feels softer, like a baby’s skin. The smell makes me imagine that I am in Paris, France, sipping wine on top of the Eifel Tower. I embrace every moment, when I inhale the fresh everlasting smell. I never want to leave this joyous place.
Coming back into reality, I hear my mom calling my name. She yells to me that I must go and help with the dishes. I tell her that I have to finish writing a few sentences. As I finish this essay up, I think to myself how much I loved to write this. Writing this essay made me put everything of my life into perspective, stuff that I would have never thought about before. It opened up my mind, and made me look at the bigger picture. My significant place, I enjoyed spending these hours in here. I must say goodbye for a little while, but I shall return as soon as I finish helping out around the rest of the house.

© 2011 Sarah Wlochal


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

MMM Mini tacos, I love those myself.
This is really good, enjoyed this.

Posted 12 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

96 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on July 25, 2011
Last Updated on July 25, 2011

Author

Sarah Wlochal
Sarah Wlochal

Platteville, WI



About
I was on this website a while back but have updated a lot of things since then. I am currently a sophomore at the University of Wisconsin Platteville studying elementary education. I have a boyf.. more..

Writing