Polyandry

Polyandry

A Story by Rachelle
"

multiple relationships all at the same time

"

Polyandry

 

     There she was waving at him, beckoning him to come nearer.  He was entranced.  She was the most beautiful thing he had ever seen.  Plump and on the heavy side - but all the better for him.  He never was one for skinny girls.  This one wasn’t some one night stand.  This one was for something more permanent.  Something forever.

 

     He wondered where she came from.  Girls like her were hard to find.  This one rare beauty.  He waited all his life for her.  He wanted to whisk her off and take her away from all of this " this darkness that enveloped their lives.  She, with the shining beacon, that would make his existence more meaningful.  He had to make his move now before someone else did.

 

     He made his way toward her wondering what he would say.  What would he do?  He was just this ordinary guy with nothing much except to offer his total commitment to her.  He would do it only for her.

 

     He spotted another going towards her.  What the…?  That creep was nuzzling her!  She seemed to like it.  Enraged, he sped towards her, not masking his desire to get rid of the intruder and to have her for his own.

 

     Two more of them came over, aggressively touching her.  She was bothered now and tried to wriggle away.  The three pursued her.  He felt her panic and sped on to her rescue.  He would do it only for her.

 

     She faltered a few meters, exhausted from the chase.  He sped on to meet her.  He wanted to take her away from those jerks.  He knew what they had in mind and he was never going to let them use her.  He had to get her away and then, perhaps, she would see who he was " someone who would be there by her side forever.  He would do it only for her.

 

     One of them caught up to her.  She desperately tried to get away but one by one, they did.  They latched on to her.  In futility, she gave a final lurch but they latched on.  He could only see her hurting and he knew he had to remove those perverts from her body.

 

     He tried but those guys would only fling him off and latch themselves tighter to her.  He could sense her pain.  He knew it was agonizing.  There was nothing for him to do now.  She could not be his and his alone.   But he could never be without her.

 

     In his defeat, he made his final move going back towards her, unmindful of the others, he had to do what they were doing, too.

 

     He went under her side, made a loud cry and sank his teeth into her.

 

 

     When the relatively puny male anglerfish is born, he has only one mission in mind - to seek a mate before his brief life ends.  Equipped with a keen olfactory sense, he makes his way to find the rare female, attaches himself to her with his teeth and atrophies so that only his testes is left, his sperm ready to discharge the moment she releases her eggs. 

 

     A female can have up to six males clasping to her as they slowly degenerate.   

© 2013 Rachelle


Author's Note

Rachelle
-- just some drivel as I took a break from work....

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Hi. I enjoyed the brief story here, and I wouldn't say it is drivel! However, you could sit down and re-write it. Each part of the chase could be improved I think. Here is one line that does not read very well: 'One of them caught up to her. She desperately tried to get away but one by one, they did'. In this sentence did 'they' get away, or did 'they' catch up?
So in my view, the idea of the story is very good, and particularly the way you leave the 'truth' of the story until the end. However, it needs to flow more in its description as you create that picture.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Rachelle

10 Years Ago

Thank you, ma'm! I did have difficulty describing the chase. It was a struggle from writing in my .. read more
Daffy

10 Years Ago

Hi, I think you are very talented. Don't worry about the initial smaller points of 'faltering', but.. read more



Reviews

A different type of feel in here...as I read this work...its a survival trait in the aspect of things here...and the explanation in the end puts a reference in the scheme of your work...again you do put science in there to give this an edge from the norm...as for editing this to make it more...I'm sure could go back and give this a polish...

Posted 9 Years Ago


Interesting fact, made for a good story when you humanized the characters, was a little tense, awesome piece, would love to read your stories

Posted 10 Years Ago


New Theory

10 Years Ago

Ohh its ok, whatever is here I can read that :)
Rachelle

10 Years Ago

I think I have another fish story here somewhere.
New Theory

10 Years Ago

I will check that out :)
Good concept. You could have written as well about the queen bee. She has thousands of males, and maybe, not one of the offsprings happened to know its father.

Posted 10 Years Ago


Rachelle

10 Years Ago

Not an apiarist but thanks for the concept….
I think this is really good. I think I wouldn't have put the fact in at the bottom of the piece. I maybe would have dropped clues in that would suggest its the Anglerfish.

Posted 10 Years Ago


Rachelle

10 Years Ago

But I love facts and skittish about the ambiguous! :( The scientist in me speaks the loudest. Ju.. read more
Ronnie

10 Years Ago

I love ambiguous. In my stories I tie things up and give a conclusion, but I will if I can add a li.. read more
Rachelle

10 Years Ago

Okay, thanks for all the help!
Aww. This is so sad. Very well done though!

Posted 10 Years Ago


Rachelle

10 Years Ago

Thank you!
Cool!
I new it was about the wild animal kingdom pretty soon.
Neat play on the readers expectations. Hang on to this for your graduate work. The kids will love it. Talk about devoted obsessions. Ha.

Posted 10 Years Ago


Rachelle

10 Years Ago

Now, I'm getting to be predictable...:(
 David Scott

10 Years Ago

Not at all.
I think most readers will be expecting something sexy...
A very strong and .. read more
Talk about molder gurry! Not drivel at all. It was interesting and fun. A real head scratcher.

Posted 10 Years Ago


Clayton Bardwell

10 Years Ago

I should have said moldering gurry. Basically, it's rotting fish offal.

You taught m.. read more
Rachelle

10 Years Ago

Filipino term: balunbalunang nabubulok
Clayton Bardwell

10 Years Ago

That sounds better:)
Hi. I enjoyed the brief story here, and I wouldn't say it is drivel! However, you could sit down and re-write it. Each part of the chase could be improved I think. Here is one line that does not read very well: 'One of them caught up to her. She desperately tried to get away but one by one, they did'. In this sentence did 'they' get away, or did 'they' catch up?
So in my view, the idea of the story is very good, and particularly the way you leave the 'truth' of the story until the end. However, it needs to flow more in its description as you create that picture.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Rachelle

10 Years Ago

Thank you, ma'm! I did have difficulty describing the chase. It was a struggle from writing in my .. read more
Daffy

10 Years Ago

Hi, I think you are very talented. Don't worry about the initial smaller points of 'faltering', but.. read more
This sounded really terrible until I read the part about the anglerfish...

Posted 10 Years Ago


Rachelle

10 Years Ago

Hee! Hee! Something terrible for Halloween, I guess. It is not a tradition in my country but we a.. read more
First I was thinking vampires. But that was not quite right. Then, I was picturing a college campus and a gang of drunken frat boys attacking her while the loner that wanted her watched. I was amazed by the little note at the end, Sweetbind. I have never heard of the anglerfish and the way they mate. How horrifying! Very interesting stuff here. Angi~

Posted 10 Years Ago


Clayton Bardwell

10 Years Ago

Struggling and under paid for sure. I wouldn't do anything else.
Rachelle

10 Years Ago

If the world purely consisted of capitalists, depletion and extinction would surely have happened a .. read more
Clayton Bardwell

10 Years Ago

And you, dear Persephone!

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

368 Views
10 Reviews
Rating
Added on October 29, 2013
Last Updated on October 29, 2013

Author

Rachelle
Rachelle

Carmel, IN



About
Science. Art. Life. I am a technical writer trying to break free from the mold and exploring other forms of writing. And yes, I am a scientist.... more..

Writing
Untitled Untitled

A Poem by Rachelle





Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5