In Defense of the Innocent Scientist

In Defense of the Innocent Scientist

A Story by Rachelle

In Defense of the Innocent Scientist:

Why must we endure
The stings of disapprobation
And typecasts molded
By those who try
To sensationalize our existence?

We are merely the curious
We are merely here to ask questions.
We try to find answers
Despite our flaws and limitations.

We are not all men and women
Who play God.
Behind all this
Is a quest to seek the truth.
Just as people in all other walks of life do.

The capitalist, the zealot, the politician,
The celebrity, the lifestyle evangelist,
The artist, the musician, the writer….

There are others who attempt to play God, too.

© 2014 Rachelle


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Ethics is a powerful umbrella that encompasses us all regardless of our vocations. Scientists have been vilified for centuries, the Catholic Church was always chasing them with threats of excommunication or the Inquisition. People easily dismiss things they don't understand or things that don't fit into their view of the world. Scientific truth is provable but just because one is a scientist does not mean they are playing god. You are right, we should look at those craving worship with an arched eyebrow for so often they are the idols that many flock to.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Rachelle

10 Years Ago

Thank you! You hit it right on the head!



Reviews

Well written. That said, most scientists are harmless and their work is ethically neutral. But I'd like to have a conversation about ethics with a scientist who works in an atomic weapons lab. I wouldn't say they're just merely curious, but I'm not suggesting they're evil. In fact, a moral case for such weapons can be teased out of the principle of double effect. I suspect most of them have come to grips with this in some way. So I wouldn't handwave this issue by simply claiming that science is wholly detached from ethics.

Posted 6 Years Ago


proving something is not the same as creating it, and the use such discoveries are put to, are almost always beyond the power of the scientist to intervene.

You make a good defence.

Beccy.

Posted 9 Years Ago


I'm a newbie with this kind of thing, but I really liked this.

Posted 10 Years Ago


Rachelle

10 Years Ago

Thanks!
The message in this poems hits the bulls eye, its a fight for truth. Because only that can liberate your soul. And biggest enemies are manipulators, those who stereotype and people who discriminate against others just because of their own poor eye sight.
A very truthful peace.

Posted 10 Years Ago


Rachelle

10 Years Ago

Thank you, Avinash!
[send message][befriend] Subscribe
Kal
Interesting..

First of all the writing is good.. well done..
Second of all i liked the honesty right there.. i can feel it and it is an actual truth what you have written about.. you have written about it really clearly with this beautiful art of words..

Once again.. Well done!

Posted 10 Years Ago


Rachelle

10 Years Ago

Thank you!
What you speak is true , Its better to just be self :) be that one God made in his image:). You know Sis the Lambs book of life is wrote I have no idea what's in it. It speaks begin to end. Hey we all think outside the box nothing wrong with that:)))))))))))))))

Posted 10 Years Ago


Rachelle

10 Years Ago

Thanks, Bro!
0000000000000000000000000000

10 Years Ago

Welcome Sis:)
Ethics is a powerful umbrella that encompasses us all regardless of our vocations. Scientists have been vilified for centuries, the Catholic Church was always chasing them with threats of excommunication or the Inquisition. People easily dismiss things they don't understand or things that don't fit into their view of the world. Scientific truth is provable but just because one is a scientist does not mean they are playing god. You are right, we should look at those craving worship with an arched eyebrow for so often they are the idols that many flock to.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Rachelle

10 Years Ago

Thank you! You hit it right on the head!
This one was strong and powerful my friend, great work...

Posted 10 Years Ago


Rachelle

10 Years Ago

Thank you, A.Amos!
This is a brilliantly insightful piece. Your style is sophisticated, clean, and has a lot of bite.

Posted 10 Years Ago


Rachelle

10 Years Ago

Indeed a great honor to have this coming from you, KL! You are always so supportive! Hugs!
Hey.... I think I read this some where -_- .
Ohh yes I remember I read it on your mail .... :P .

Scientists are awesomely confused people, they get confused with the simple things normal person find.
"Why does the matter weigh?" asked the scientist
"Lol, its a property of matter." said the common man.
"Yeah but why is its property?" continued the scientist
"Lol, you are crazy, dimwit. It is what it is because god said so." said the common man, laughing at the scientist.
But that wasn't enough and lo now we have the answer to that. "Higgs Boson" this is why we have weight.
"Boom in your face... " said the scientist.
Scientist are the ones searching for the truth, the true singularity, the relation between us and the nature, they are the ones closer to gods. But not many understand that and so are so science phobic.

Science finds answers, it doesnot give the bullsh*t answer, "it is this way because god said it".
It asks questions, questions that scare the common man. So he acts like little adoloscents.

"Ohh well you found why the matter has weight? Now find why it occupies space." the common man says in a sarcastic tone.

The scientist smiles in the distance as his eyes shine brightly.




Posted 10 Years Ago


Rachelle

10 Years Ago

What? A story about the Hadron collider? or the playing God thing?
New Theory

10 Years Ago

Your poem. This one.
Rachelle

10 Years Ago

Will try to drag myself out of this hole and attempt to…

In the meantime, I found thi.. read more

First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

777 Views
13 Reviews
Rating
Added on April 15, 2014
Last Updated on April 15, 2014

Author

Rachelle
Rachelle

Carmel, IN



About
Science. Art. Life. I am a technical writer trying to break free from the mold and exploring other forms of writing. And yes, I am a scientist.... more..

Writing
Untitled Untitled

A Poem by Rachelle



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Ask Me Ask Me

A Poem by Vidya Bacchus