Never dies

Never dies

A Story by syriascat
"

short story

"

Never  Dies
 

Tania had never seen such a beauty, in all of its' all-sparkling Metallic glory. The instrument was silently calling, beckoning Tania to caress its strings. She imagined them making beautiful melodies together. She looked closely at the price, surprisingly cheap for such a god! With her week’s dole, of $160, she decided to buy the Gibson Limited Edition Explorer76 electric guitar.” Even if it means having to ask Mum for the rent and living on noodles for the week”. She decided to go for it.  No sooner had she picked up the guitar when a voice   interrupted’ “Can I help You, Madam?". "Yeah, I wanna buy this" Tania    said, scowling at the sleazy clerk. "You have a real bargain there" he said, counting the money as it passed hands. "It just came in this morning. It normally sells for about $1000 brand new" he said, winking at Tania. "Here is my card. Pass it on to your friends. we have a wide range of opening specials for the next 2 weeks". Tania nodded, impatient to show off her new instrument. "I will have to come back here when I have some more money" she thought, thinking despondently of her dismal bank balance.
   "Damn" she thought, looking at her watch, remembering that she had agreed to meet her mum for lunch. Rolling her eyes, she prepared for the inevitable lecture. "Why can't you be more like your sister?" her mum’s words replayed in her mind. Her 22 year old twin sister Wednesday had just been promoted to CEO of a major international conglomerate that bought out underachieving corporations. The Peters Corporation was well known for being ruthless in their dealings.” One day when I am a famous rock star, you will be just as proud of me, as you are of Wednesday you just wait," she thought to herself .


"Hello dear," Mrs. Jackson greeted her daughter, minutes later at The Good Vibes cafe. "Hi Mum," Tania replied.
"What on earth do you have there?" her mum cried, aghast that her daughter might have spent her money already. "This is the guitar that is going to make me famous" Tania said triumphantly. "I suppose you have spent all of your money on that thing" her mum said, with a hint of anger in her voice. "It is a Gibson Limited Edition Explore 76 electric guitar" Tania shot back indignantly. Sighing, her mother shook her head, not wanting to see her daughter without a roof over her head. She pulled out her purse and wrote a cheque for $100. "I have no idea what you are going to do for food," she said handing Tania the cheque. "I have noodles and Weet-Bix" she replied gloomily, a little disappointed that her mum hadn't given her any extra for food. "Have you given any thought as to what you are going to do next year?" her mum continued. "I noticed that they are taking enrollments for a course called 'Certificate for New Zealand cuisine' at the Christchurch Polytechnic. I think you should apply for it. It's a trade, and you always had a flair for cooking" she continued in a nagging tone. Tania nodded apathetically, knowing it was no use arguing with Mother.” Come on my girl, drink your coffee. I will take you over to the Polytechnic so you can apply for it now," Mrs. Jackson said, taking charge of the situation. Tania rolled her eyes in dismay. Her mum caught her daughters' frown and remarked, “I will not having you wasting your life on the dole. It is high time you made something of your life instead of having these fanciful dreams of becoming a rock star. Your obsession with music, it's unhealthy!" Tania bit her lip. To fight back the tears caused by    her mothers' crushing words. Since she was a recovering drug addict, her music was the only thing that kept her clean. It gave her something to live for.
Tania spied an advertisement on the notice board for auditions. It was
a placement for a guitarist  for a covers band called "The Alien Massed". They covered a wide range of alternative rock. She sneakily wrote the contact number down while her Mum was paying the bill. In her heart, she knew this is what she wanted for her life. Unlike her sister, making loads of money didn't interest her one bit. The twins were poles apart both in appearance and personality. The reason why Tania had constantly changed her appearance so drastically was because she got so sick of being compared to Wednesday. With her orange dreadlocked hair, tattooed-covered body, and op shop styled clothes, she always caused a stir in her family’s upper class circles.
 All of your wildest dreams can come true, for the price of your soul" said a voice in a whisper, startling Tania from her intoxicated sleep. A shadowy apparition that seemed quite familiar had presented her with a feathered quill and ink. Tania hesitated for a moment. She wasn't sure if it was real or if she was still tripping out on the LSD she had taken earlier that evening. "Go on" the voice, continued, "You know how much you want the wealth and fame and to make your mother proud of you like she is of your sister. All I am asking in return is your soul" the voice tempted. Tania hesitated, thinking the voice was very familiar but somehow disguised. Maybe it was one of Jades' flatmates, playing a trick on her, she thought. His flatmates friends were somewhat weird and their sense of humor was warped. Since Tania didn't believe in the soul, God, or heaven and hell, she signed the piece of paper in the ink that symbolized her blood. "Good girl, I'll be back in one years’ time to collect" the shadow said, before disappearing into the gloom. "Whatever, you weirdo!" Tania said laughing, throwing a pillow at the very place where the shadow had vanished from.
 "Hey Jade, wake up". "What is it, honey?" Jade murmured, still half asleep.
“I sold my soul to the devil," Tania told him, laughing manically.
 "You are still tripping," Jade said, “or, maybe it was Aaron. He spent too much time in the graveyard under the full moon, smoking weed". That was the only response Tania got about her ordeal before Jade drifted back to sleep. Typical male, he was happy enough to play the role of the caring, sharing, sensitive New Age guy earlier on, Tania thought in disgust, inhaling on her cigarette. She could hear the slight murmur of Aaron’s Iron Maiden cd. He was a self-confessed Satanist. It wouldn’t surprise her at all if he had   pulled some sick stunt like that.
You are coming to the auditions with me, remember" Tania reminded
Jade the next morning. Jade sighed. "You promised that you would last night" Tania whined
 "You will be all right going on your own, babe, there are some really good waves that I want to catch" he answered her, looking out the kitchen window.
"Please?" Tania pouted at him sulkily.
 "Ok - ok" Jade agreed reluctantly. He grimaced and thought to himself that he would much rather be out in the water than stuck in some room with a dozen try-hards. But if I don't go with her, she will with hold sex from me for the next 2 weeks, he thought to himself. 
  "You're Tania, correct?" the platinum blonde, devilishly handsome
lead vocalist asked Tania. "I'm Carl" he said, introducing himself. Tania smiled back nervously, intimidated by his rock-star good looks. His piercing blue eyes studied her for a moment, waiting for an answer. "Well, what are you going to play for me?" he asked, leaning back impatiently.
"I'm going to play Led Zeppelin’s Stairway To Heaven" she stammered anxiously.
"A brilliant song choice. It is one of my favorites," Carl replied. Tania’s fingers strummed and the guitar echoed, a complete mind of its own...a melodic sound...full of emotion.
   Tania waited for his approval. Carl sat there pretending to think for a moment, purposely keeping her in suspense. "Wow, which was even better than the original!" Carl exclaimed. Tania gushed, pleased that she had made a good impression. "Boys, come meet our new guitarist!" Carl called. A group of darkly clad youths ventured out from the adjoining room, scowling menacingly, at Tania. "What about the blond?" one of them remarked. "The blond was terrible, mate, she messed up Teen Spirit" Carl shot back in disdain. Turning to Tania, he said, in a more gentle tone, "I can't stand people who butcher the original artists' work". Another band member said, "I am assuming that you have heard of Nirvana".
"Of course, Kurt Cobain is a legend," Tania said. Her answer eased the tension between her and the other band members.” Now that the pleasantries are over we will get down to business," Carl said. "We have rehearsal around 7 since we are playing Kings' Arms tomorrow night. One of the boys will pick you up if you need a ride" he said, scribbling his address down on a scrap piece of paper.
  "How was the audition, babe?' Jade asked Tania. "I am in!" she answered ecstatically
He embraced her tenderly thinking that the long and tedious wait was well worth the sacrifice in order to see his girlfriend happy for once.
Next night the Kings Arms’ patrons demanded an encore of Tania’s unplugged Stairway To Heaven. There was a man who stood drinking by the bar. He claimed to be from a record company looking for fresh talent to sign up. ‘I think you are marvelous,’ he told the band in a very camp tone, matching his Italian designer suit.
Carl smiled gracefully, accepting of the man’s assumed sexual orientation as he ignored his fellow band members’ stifled sniggers.

 I am Jacque, from Blue Records,” he said passing Carl his business card.
“Do we get to write our own music?” asked Carl.   After a minute’s pause in the conversation, he added. Cos we don’t want do to any of this manufactured pop s**t”.
“I am looking for originality and I think you have a big future in front of you. Especially this young lady,” he said winking at Tania. “Why don’t we talk about it over drinks and we can look over the contract,’ he continued.   Carl’s fellow band members were holding their breath waiting for his go -ahead. An opportunity like this would be like their wildest dreams – may be about to come true.
Carl looked at the contact and he whistled at $10,000,000 two-year record deal.  As he passed the piece of paper on to Tania, “I guess you can tell your Mum where to shove it now,” he whispered knowingly.  She smiled at him dying to gloat to her mother that she has made it as a rock-star. Once the contract had made its rounds, the group the piece of paper was signed.
  “It was pleasure doing business with you,” Jacque said shaking everyone’s hand. 
   “I can’t wait to see your mum’s face, when you tell her that you have a $10,000,000 record deal,” Jade told her later that night, wrapped in hearing Tania’s news.
‘Yeah you have to be so there,’ Tania smugly answered him.
‘Just imagine telling her in front of her friends,’ he added.
   ‘And I’m gonna make more money in a year, than my stupid stuck up sister would in her whole lifetime,’ Tania laughed. 
  ‘Hey didn’t she f**k the boss to get to the top?’ Jade asked. 
   ‘Yeah she kisses anyone’s arse to get what she wants. I wish Mum would stop going on about Wednesday has done this and why can’t you be more like Wednesday?  Wednesday, Wednesday, Blah –blah,’ Tania   said, changing her mood.
 
Tania showed the band her material, which she had been writing since she was sixteen. Carl the lead singer was very impressed and asked if they could use it for their new album called Shadow’s Nights.  Their manager wanted Tania to do the track Venus’s Demise unplugged.
After several attempts, everyone was happy with the final cut.
 
 It was a few months later, when a shrill ring jolted Jade from his slumber.
“Yeah it‘s me mate I wanna speak to Tania,” Carl demanded from the other end.
“Mate it’s 2am in the morning …’
“Venus’s demise is number one! We are coming around so wake her up as me and the boys are having a bit of a celebration. By the way don’t worry drinks are on us,” Carl, demanded interrupting Jade mid -sentence.
Tania was used to the rock and roll style parties that Alien Massed had .They often turned up to recording sessions hung-over or wasted. This celebration was no exception.  After all, they could afford to live like rock stars now.
Later on that morning, Mrs Jackson was having elevenses as she called it with her country club friends.  She was just pouring the tea when the phone rang.
It was Wednesday calling from Auckland.  “You would never guess who is on Coke Hits Mum,” she said jealously.
“No dear you know I don’t pay any attention to that squawking,” Mrs Jackson   replied dryly to her daughter.
“My no hoper sister is number one,” Wednesday answered back, dismally. She put the phone receiver next to the T.V, so her Mum could hear it for herself.
“Good heavens!” Mrs Jackson managed, before she fainted from the shock. She came around a few minutes later looking into the concerned faces of her friends. “I just received some shocking news from Wednesday. It is about Tania,” she said faintly.
“Oh, let me guess.  She is responsible for that   bank robbery that happened in Marivale, the other day,” one of the women blamed.
“That daughter of yours will take you to an early grave,” another one of her friends chided.
“Not at all ! Tania is number one on that pop show. She has finally made something of herself. I always knew she would.  She is just what you would call a late bloomer,” Mrs Jackson explained to the women.
Tania enjoyed her whirlwind of success that she had never dreamt possible. Her dress sense still shocked her mother and the friends of the family. She found herself at last, accepted into their circles; Tania and the band enjoyed gloating to the snobbery of the country club. 
Carl decided to try their luck in Europe after 11 months nation wide success.
He announced this to the band members one night, after rehearsal.
“What about Jade?” Tania questioned him. She was worried that she might have to leave the love of her life behind.
“And get in the way of true love,” Carl exclaimed in mock, theatrical surprise.
‘Besides I don’t want to lose the best f*****g guitarist this band ever had!’  He slurred after downing another glass of whiskey.   “What ya say boys bring him along too?’ he announced.  The other band members raised their glasses in agreement, as they regarded Jade being part of the band.
“Hey, honey the band and I going to Europe,” Tania told Jade later that night.
“What about us?” he replied to her statement tearfully, heartbroken at the very thought of losing the only woman he had ever loved.
“Babe, Babe, there would be no way I would be going if I couldn’t bring you along too,” Tania crooned holding him in a tight embrace. “You mean that you would ditch the band    just for me?” Jade asked her hopefully.
“Hell yeah I would!” Tania proclaimed.
“What about your career?” Jade questioned.
“S**t I’m the band!” Alien Massed would be still playing in the bars at weekends, if it weren’t for me. They f*****g need me and they damm well know it too!”  Tania crowed. 
“So when are we leaving?” Jade asked relieved.  
 “After our farewell nation tour,” Tania replied. He often dreamt of proposing to Tania, in the romantic capital, so Jade hoped the band’s first stop would be Paris.
Alien Massed were in a Wellington cd store-signing autographs when Tania recongised that familiar voice that had visited her a year ago. Again, she could not put her finger on where she had heard the voice before. She signed the voice’s cd hurriedly, feeling unnerved.
“That person’s c.d I signed today he had creeped me out. I am sure I have heard that voice somewhere before,” Tania commented to Carl at the sound checks. It was just before their televised gig.  “Well Tans, that’s the price of fame. You are going to get people who are potential stalkers and they will freak you out. If you get any more problems with this dude, let me know and I will deal with him personally,” Carl said for, once sober.
 
Tania looked out to the sea of 60 000 faces at Clarkson stadium. The concert went like any other performance, playing to thousands of screaming, adoring fans. In the middle of playing Venus’ Demise, the guitar turned against Tania. If you listened closely enough you could hear the melody singing, “time to pay and your soul is mine.”   The screaming stadium suddenly hushed; when the crowds witnessed Tania’s lifeless body collapsed on the stage. The attempts to resuscitate her were fruitless, because the demonic guitar decided to turn the stadium into a fiery grave. The sales clark who was the only survivor appeared from the flames.  He was unharmed and whistling, while he carried the now silent guitar looking for future victims.
 The following Saturday Mrs. Jackson was poring over the news headlines that screamed  ‘Lead Guitarist killed thousands in the fiery inferno.’ “I always knew Tania was nothing but trouble,” she commented to her country club friends. That was the last thing Mrs Jackson ever said about her daughter.  It was as if Tania had never existed .
 

 
 
 

© 2008 syriascat


Author's Note

syriascat
any suggestions would be welcome .

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

I love this story, just goes to show the fallen one is timeless. Keep up the good work TC

Posted 16 Years Ago


That was cool. What a concept! A demonic Guitar. I liked how the end was never given away till i got there. It was an unexpected twist. Great Job!

Posted 16 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

222 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on February 9, 2008

Author

syriascat
syriascat

New Zealand



Writing
tertis tertis

A Story by syriascat


[untitled] [untitled]

A Poem by syriascat