Verisimilitude #4

Verisimilitude #4

A Poem by Taal Seth

I knew you were dying.

 

I knew you were dying the second you lit up your cigarette and it hung from your lips like the tension between us, I asked if you were back to square one and you shook your head as if I were a little girl and looked down.

 

I knew you were dying the second your eyes left mine and looked down as if the concrete shaking beneath my feet was the most interesting thing you’d ever seen. My heart dropped and I was afraid that my eyes will begin to water. Maybe my eyes did water. Maybe you were staring at my tears rather than at the concrete. And it makes me wonder… is there really a difference between them anymore?

 

I knew you were dying the second your hands left mine and groped the cigarette instead. The smoke filled my nose and my heart ached for it to overtake me to the point where I can stop inhaling the glory of you standing next to me.

 

I knew you were dying because your texts stopped coming in; I knew you were dying because you soon replaced my kiss with the cold opening of your bottles of champagne. I guess the stars they showed you shone brighter than the ones you told me my eyes carried.

 

I knew you were dying the day I realized you’d stopped caring about living. Because you said I was your life.

 

Maybe that day, I started dying, too. 

© 2016 Taal Seth


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

Such a sad story and it filled me with so much emotions! I had recently watched my friend fall into depravity and could not even do anything to help. Very relatable and wonderfully expressed!

Posted 7 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

82 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on July 3, 2016
Last Updated on July 3, 2016

Author

Taal Seth
Taal Seth

Noida, Uttar Pradesh, India



Writing
Home Home

A Poem by Taal Seth