The killing joke Scene

The killing joke Scene

A Stage Play by Takoda Sorvillo
"

A stage adaption for the infamous comic "The Killing Joke"

"

The Killing Joke Scene


The Characters

The Joker-  A colorful madman who dresses like a clown

The Batman- A dark, brooding hero who watches over Gotham city


Setting- (Batman has tracked down the joker to an abandoned funhouse in west Gotham. The Joker has shot Barbra Gordon, crippling her for life. He then kidnapped her father the police Commissioner Gordon and driven him crazy with horrific images of his mutilated and crippled daughter and the Jokers nefarious gang. Batman finds the Joker in an abandoned movie theater in the fun house and is about to apprehend him when members of the Joker’s gang surprise him and knock him out. He comes to in the projector room tied to a chair. Sitting across from him on Up SL is The Joker. Reading a book and sitting on a massive victorian style lounging chair {see production notes})


Scene

Joker closes book and looks at Batman with a classic Joker grin


Joker: So (beat) I see you received the free ticket I sent you. (slams book on floor) Im glad I did so want you to be here! (gets up from chair and begins to pace back and forth) You see it doesn't matter if you catch me and send me back to the asylum. Gordons been driven mad. (triumphant) I’ve proved my point. I've demonstrated that there’s no difference between me and everyone else! (walks toward Batman) All it takes is one bad day to reduce the sanest man alive to lunacy. That’s just how far the world is from where I am just one bad day. (pause) You had a bad day once am I right? (taunting) I know I am! You had a bad day and it drove you as crazy as everyone else. Only you won’t admit it you have to keep pretending that life makes sense. (gets gradually angrier) Like there’s some point to all this struggling. God you make me want to puke! I mean what is it with you? What made you what you are?


Batman: I could ask you the same thing.


Joker turns quickly to him, furious. Calming himself smoothing his hair and smiling again. Getting in Batman’s bubble

Joker: So (beat) (whispering) Was your girlfriend killed by the mob maybe? Brother carved up by some mugger? (Laughs) somthing like that I bet (Laughter dies down) Something like that happened to me you know. I cant exactly say what it was. Sometimes I remember it one way sometimes another. (Lightening up) If i’m going to have a past I prefer it to be multiple choice! (laugh) The point is I went crazy. When I saw what a black awful joke the world was I went crazy as a coot! (laughs) I admit it why can’t you. I mean your not unintelligent! You must see the reality of the situation-


Batman: You’re right. I do see.. That doesn't give you any permission to kill or shoo-


Joker Whirls around and screams

Joker: SHUT UP! STOP RIGHT THERE! Im only here to fix things, and show the idiots whats wrong! Do you know how many times we've come close to World War 3 over a flock of geese on a computer screen? Good god! Do you know what triggered the last world war? an argument over how many telegraph poles Germany owed its war department creditors! TELEGRAPH POLES! (Laughs uproariously) Its all a joke! Anything anyone ever valued or struggled for its all a monstrous demented gag! So why can't you see the funny side? (Saddens) Why aren't you laughing?

Batman then breaks out of his restraints and charges at the Joker and at some point Joker is on the ground and Batman has won the day)


Joker: Well what are you waiting for? I shot a defenceless girl terrorized an old man. (pause) Why dont you just kick the hell out of me and get a standing ovation from the public gallery.


Batman: Do you understand? I dont want to hurt you, I dont want either of us to end up killing each other. (pause) But we are both running out of alternatives. and we both know it. (pause) Maybe it all hinges on tonight. Maybe this is our last chance to sort this bloody mess out. If you don't take it then were locked into a suicide course. Both of us to the death. (pause) It doesn't have to end like that I don't know what it was that bent your life out of shape, but who knows maybe ive been there too. Maybe I can help. We could work together, I could rehabilitate you. You dont need to be out on the edge. You dont need to be alone. We dont have to kill each other. What do you say.

Long pause

Joker: No. im sorry but. (beat) I can’t its too late. Far too late i'm afraid. (laughs) You know this reminds me of a joke.


End

© 2014 Takoda Sorvillo


Author's Note

Takoda Sorvillo
Ignore all grammar issues, just focus on the content.

My Review

Would you like to review this Stage Play?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

203 Views
Added on March 29, 2014
Last Updated on March 29, 2014

Author

Takoda Sorvillo
Takoda Sorvillo

About
I am a High school student who has always had a passion for writing. Who also is a horrible speller. My favourite color is a deep form of red. I play guitar decently well, and love solitude. I am a Sa.. more..

Writing