Dangerous Knowledge in Frankenstein: A Frank Review

Dangerous Knowledge in Frankenstein: A Frank Review

A Story by taleea


Mary Shelley’s novel Frankenstein is a classic gothic novel from the Romantic period. In similar fashion with this period, Frankenstein is heavily philosophical in its themes of family, ethics and especially the idea of dangerous knowledge. Throughout the novel, Shelley illustrates that knowledge can lead to catastrophe when misused. She does this by contrasting the effects of knowledge placed in the hands of Walton versus Victor, by writing how each of their pursuits led to dire consequences, and by sub-titling the book The Modern Prometheus.

Walton is what is known as a “foil” to Victor -- someone or something that serves as a contrast to a main character (Merriam-Webster). Similarly to Victor, he possessed a thirst for knowledge as shown by his voyage to discover new lands. Dissimilarly to Victor, however, he states that his quest for paradise stems from a want for “the inestimable benefit which [he] shall confer on all mankind” (Shelley 11). Victor’s creation of the monster is entirely in the interest of his own self-gain, thinking that “a new species would bless [Victor] as its creator and source; many happy and excellent natures would owe their being to [him]” (54).

Another contrast is Walton’s ability to rein himself in, as emphasized by when he agrees to turn back to England at his crew’s request, whereas Victor would have kept going to his certain death given his more emotional and obsessive personality. These differences in character contribute heavily to the end result of their toils; while Walton continues as he did before, disappointed but without real loss, Victor is ruined by his creation and dies alone. Victor could have followed Walton’s path if his devotion and God complex had not blinded him, showing how the quest for knowledge can lead to polar results depending on who is searching for it.

All the dreadful things that happen in the main narrative can be attributed to the pursuit of knowledge. Walton and his men are stranded in ice because of his search for paradise, as stated by “the lives of all these men are endangered through [Walton]. If [they] are lost, [his] mad schemes are the cause” (Shelley 230-31). Although the pursuit of knowledge is what ignited the spark of the monster’s creation, it is important to acknowledge that the atrocities the monster commits are not a result of that pursuit. Instead, his crimes are almost entirely due to being abandoned by Victor. That being said, the deaths of William, Clerval, Elizabeth, and the false condemnation of Justine, are all ultimately the result of Victor’s pursuit of knowledge, which Victor acknowledges by saying “I beheld those I loved spend vain sorrow upon the graves of William and Justine, the first hapless victims to my unhallowed arts” (Shelley 93).

A usually overlooked indicator of the theme of dangerous knowledge is the book’s sub-title, The Modern Prometheus. Prometheus is a famous figure in Greek mythology, a titan whose name roughly translates to “fore-thinker” (Brittanica). In the most famous myth concerning him, he steals the knowledge of how to make fire from the gods and bestows it upon the humans. In return he is punished by Zeus and chained to a mountain where eagles would eat his immortal liver every day. Although more subtle than in the Greek myth, Frankenstein is also punished for his pursuit and use of knowledge. In the monster’s creation, he defies nature and plays the part of God the same way that Prometheus did. It could be said that the monster is Zeus in this comparison, as he is the one who takes revenge against Frankenstein and ‘punishes’ him. He is associated with lightning:

A flash of lightning illuminated the object, and discovered its shape plainly to me; its gigantic stature, and the deformity of its aspect, more hideous than belongs to humanity, 

instantly informed me that it was the wretch, the filthy daemon, to whom I had given life (Shelley 83).

In Frankenstein, Mary Shelley writes that dangerous knowledge can lead to different outcomes in the hands of different people, that the pursuit of knowledge can lead to catastrophic consequences, and that Frankenstein can be likened to Prometheus in his behaviour and punishment. Shelley succeeds masterfully in incorporating this theme while entertaining her audience with a darkly creative story.

 

© 2024 taleea


Author's Note

taleea
WORKS CITED

Britannica, The Editors of Encyclopaedia. "Prometheus". Encyclopedia Britannica, 26 Aug. 2022, https://www.britannica.com/topic/Prometheus-Greek-god. Accessed 14 November 2022.

“Foil.” Merriam-Webster.com Dictionary, Merriam-Webster, https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/foil. Accessed 14 Nov. 2022.

Shelley, Mary. Frankenstein. 1818. 375 Hudson Street, New York, New York, The Penguin Group, Oct. 2013.


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

How you use a knowledge. That shows the result. I loved reading Frankenstein. I have seen film on it. I feel no use of Frankenstein s in this world. Good review.

Posted 3 Months Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

79 Views
1 Review
Added on January 22, 2024
Last Updated on January 23, 2024
Tags: Essay, Frankenstein, Gothic, Themes

Author

taleea
taleea

Canada



About
I am in that strange middling area between teenager and adult - thus, my writing is often filled with as much confusion as I am. You will not catch me writing fluffy, happy stories - if not bitterswee.. more..

Writing