Guinsiliban: A Place where you love to be

Guinsiliban: A Place where you love to be

A Story by Matt Abecia
"

This is an article about my hometown.

"

Guinsiliban: A Place Where You Love To Be

By Matt Abecia

 

          Do you want extreme adventure? Do you want to explore the life beyond the deep blue sea? Do you want to feel the coldness as Baguio City or you just love history? Do you want to feel the beauty of nature or you just want love to see friendly faces? You don’t need to travel far and go abroad. It is more fun in Camiguin. Particularly, it is more fun in the town of Guinsiliban.

Guinsiliban is my hometown. It is one of the wonderful municipalities of Camigiun. It is just a small town consisting of 7 barangays which do have their own proud product.

          Kibila Beach is a pride of the town. It is situated at Barangay Cantaan which is lowland. The beach offers white sand which is similar to Boracay Beach. Aside from this, another attraction in the beach is their crystal clear water and the giant clamses. They offer snorkeling activity where you can see great corals, fishes and most especially the giant clamses. You will be able to observe how these inhabitants love in the wide sea. This is the reason why Kibila Beach is not just for mere fun but educational as well. As you arrived in the location, some children will approach you and will welcome and inform you about the place. These kids will talk to you in English language. Isn’t it amazing? The beach also prohibits the getting of shells in the shore for souvenir. You are not allowed to get any of those or else your attention will be called in the office of Barangay Captain.

          Another great pride of Guinsiliban is the Mt. Ilihan. Guinsilibanons considered it as the Mother Mountain. In fact, it was included in the Municipal Hymn of the town. Mt. Ilihan is not as high as Mt. Hibok-Hibok but as beautiful as it is. Several people climb this mountain especially during Holy Week. It has Stations of the Cross where the last station is at the top of the mountain where you can see the whole town of Guinsiliban and the part of Misamis Oriental. I’m sure you will then realize that in every sacrifice, relief comes afterwards. This Mt. Ilihan could be compared to Walkway. But I swear, it is more beautiful and relaxing than Walkway. Try to spend your night on the top of the Mt. Ilihan without wearing any jackets and you will be frozen by morning. Mt. Ilihan is found at Barangay Butay. It is the smallest highland barangay of Guinsiliban. It is composed of less than 100 households only. Since it is highland, its weather temperature could be compared to Baguio City. It is really cold in the place.

          Guinsiliban will not also be left behind when it comes to history. The Moro-Watch tower is a “tatak” of the brave Guinsilibanons. This was built back when the Moro’s attack the island. This tower serve as the protection camp of the early Guisilibanons with their leader named Manggubat. Because of its deep value and big help, the Municipal Hymn was entitled “KutaNgaMalig-on” which is the bisaya translation of the said tower. In addition, the early Abecia administration paid tribute to the tower. The LGU officials initiated a festival competition named “TribuKuta” where he different barangays all over the town compete in the streetdancing and tableau wearing their festival costume. The Moro-Watch Tower is situated at the heart of Guinsiliban.

          Another major activity of the town done annually is the “SinulogsaKalipay”. This activity is being sponsored by religious sector of the municipality. This was initiated three years ago by the first ever Parish Priest of the town, Rev. Fr. Saturnino S. Lumba III, SSJV together with his chapel leaders. This is being participated by the seven barangays competing in streetdancing and tableau presentations wearing indigenous costumes. It is simultaneously done with Sinulog Festival in Cebu.

          The Municipality of Guinsiliban is not only full of natural wonders and fun activities. It is also the home of fortitude people. Despite of variety of problems that the people are experiencing, you can still see the smile on their faces. They can still manage to laugh. They stay strong even in the midst of the storms. The Guinsilbanons are friendly, cooperative, and happy people. This makes Guinsiliban the best of all.

          Indeed, there is no place like home. Come and visit the Municipality of Guinsiliban and be amazed in here!

© 2012 Matt Abecia


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

296 Views
Added on September 4, 2012
Last Updated on September 4, 2012

Author

Matt Abecia
Matt Abecia

Camiguin Province, 10, Philippines



About
I am a student of Camiguin Polytechnic State College and I am 19 years old. more..

Writing
Strangers Strangers

A Story by Matt Abecia