Smoke

Smoke

A Story by tangible.elle
"

A quick write love story told from the eyes of a man addicted to smoking.

"

 
Author's Note: This was written as a quick write in my creative writing class. We were to choose two items, an object and a word at random. The item I chose, I at first did not even recognize. I was informed later it was an old cigarette roller. Our assignment was to convey the emotion of the word we were given with the item we drew as the key element. Afterwards, we were to read our story aloud and our peers were to guess the emotion conveyed. Likewise, I will not spoil the surprise and let you too question as you read. Enjoy.

Elle Collins

SMOKE

            His fingers moved deftly over the outdated device. Pinch, drop, roll, over and over. The task was monotonous, as was his life and the reward was equally as dissatisfying. He didn't even like to smoke. It was a habit, a security to which he clung. It was repulsive, but it was familiar. Cigarettes had stuck with him when everything else in his life had gone up in smoke, puff by puff. Remove, light, inhale. It was soothing, in a pathetic sort of way, comforting like the presence of an ill wanted guest whose constant presence you've come to love despite your contempt. 

            Today he wasn't smoking, today he was rolling. Smoking signified contentment, acceptance, the moment in which he could let all his desires fade away in the smoke. He'd grown so used to not getting what he wanted he'd come to expect very little and to be satisfied with the least of things. He was simply always wanting what he couldn't have and being disappointed with that which he did acquire. He had become accustomed to this. Happiness, he inwardly professed, was for other, more fortunate, people, but occasionally he would find something worth attaining and when he did the obsession would kick in full gear. Pinch, drop, roll. This time her name was Anna and she would be his, lest the flicker in his penetrating green eyes ignite a flame which would be all consuming.

            He wanted her, he must have her, but it was much more than that. He didn't just want her, he wanted to BE her man in all his sickening, unattainable perfection and her man... didn't smoke.

 

Emotion: Envy

© 2011 tangible.elle


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

220 Views
Added on December 31, 2011
Last Updated on December 31, 2011
Tags: Smoking, love, envy