f*****g pinstripes

f*****g pinstripes

A Poem by Kevin McKenna

 Mama Cass came down the stairs this morning. I was sitting at the table drinking a coffee. As she caught sight of the morning dew, she tore open the sky with a voice that boomed through the damp, dank morning. Inbetween puffs of her cigarette she flipped on the tv. The Red Sox are playing the Yankees in one of those old fashioned gun fights, the score board reading 9-8 in favor of those well hung Boston patriots. She starts to b***h about how the pinstripes, the damn pinstripes always win games for those f*****g yankees. She sits across from me, her ebony skin enveloping the sun that is just reaching the lowest corners of the room. She stares out the window at a pastor whom is belting fire and brimstone from the balcony of a neighbors home, where the night before a man succumbed to the infinite glories of his favourite needle. Mama Cass shakes her head and puts out her cigarette, asking me why people need idolize someone they've never met. I'm stuck and tell her Mama, I don't f*****g know. And that the god damn truth I tell myself, I don't know nothing 'nething. I may be fucked when it comes to all those saints, and all those angels, but f**k me if I'm going to spend at least one lifetime involved with a church and no woman in my sights. Women man, that's always where it's at. They may treat you s****y, and they may treat you fine, but a woman whom loves you man there's no wrong in sight. And man if you become disallusioned somewhere along the line, brother don't worry there's always time on your side.

© 2012 Kevin McKenna


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

There's some really great imagery in this 'ebony skin enveloping the sun...' and for me at least your writting creates a not necessairly conventionally attractive environment but one that none the less I feel drawn to. You show a very clear view on life brilliantly and without shame and I feel that this desrves a great amount of respect.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

Nice ride here. I love the injection of Mama Cass into the mainline of the poem. And the juxtaposition of the preacher shooting up was wild man, wild! Keep on trippin' (well, they used to say truckin' but, hell, I prefer it this way!). - EllisD

Posted 15 Years Ago


There's some really great imagery in this 'ebony skin enveloping the sun...' and for me at least your writting creates a not necessairly conventionally attractive environment but one that none the less I feel drawn to. You show a very clear view on life brilliantly and without shame and I feel that this desrves a great amount of respect.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

113 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on August 22, 2008
Last Updated on July 31, 2012

Author

Kevin McKenna
Kevin McKenna

Chicago, IL



About
Poptimist. Optimist. Starry-eyed. Dreamer. People are my religion more..

Writing