moonlighting

moonlighting

A Story by Kevin McKenna


Children hawk spare gum and cigarettes along a dirt road, A family rides by on a scooter each of their faces wrapped in a bandana, the all lean into each turn; a family of bandits. It's not yet mid-day and it's already like an oven. The violin can be heard just over the wall intense, but greeted with indifference. Our taxi inches forward we're passed by a bus filled to its capacity and then by a group of women whose dresses mope the floor behind them. From the room above us comes the sound of love making; discrepancies- dismissed.
Intrinsic sentiment from mourners on the way to a cemetary; the lead car decorated by a flag warning people to part the sea.The girl next to me looks out the window she explains how the city has saddended her leaving her disallusioned. Compromising any sense of well being, or hope. Dreams are left at door steps to be picked up some other day by some other person. The passion for life left for routine. The possiblity of divinity deftly swept away by a hunched, timid old man. In search of love; lost among constellations found within our own eye the possibilities lost among care worn packages. Fragile.
 

© 2008 Kevin McKenna


Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Such wonderful descriptions -- one right after another. The scene is so touching, and the despair almost overwhelming. You also have wonderful sounds throughout, with rhymes popping in that keeps a wonderful flow to the writing.

Posted 15 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

88 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on August 22, 2008
Last Updated on August 22, 2008

Author

Kevin McKenna
Kevin McKenna

Chicago, IL



About
Poptimist. Optimist. Starry-eyed. Dreamer. People are my religion more..

Writing