Two Carpenters Discuss the Meaning of Life

Two Carpenters Discuss the Meaning of Life

A Story by tekphobik
"

Sounds about right to me.

"
"These people asked us to build a house for them, but I don't have a measuring tape."
"Oh, that's easy, just slap it together and someone will come along to fix it up later when they invent the measuring tape."
"Are you sure it'll hold?"
"Well, put it on the backs of all those people, that should work for now."
"Won't the problem just get worse over time?"
"Oh, that's easy - just encourage them to keep breeding so there's more backs to hold it up."
"Won't the ever increasing weight cause cracks in the foundation?  The people can't hold a crack."
"What's it matter?  We're onto the next job tomorrow anyway, according to the schedule."
"Oh...  Where'd you get that schedule from anyway?"
"Last carpenter gave it to me."
"And it says we have somewhere else to go?"
"Well, yeah, sort of.  I dunno.  I haven't ever really read it.  But Bill from the west side says it's killer and all we have to do is build this house and we're good!"
"Oh.  That makes sense.  I think.  Wait, no, that hurts my head."
"Don't think about it man, trust me, it makes it a lot easier.  Go put these blindfolds on all those people and get them lined up while I pick their pockets for the fee they owe us to build this.  Hard 'work' gets rewarded, you know."
...
"There we go.  Want to go for a beer?"
"Yeah, I think I finally understand how this life thing works."

© 2011 tekphobik


Author's Note

tekphobik
Life is funny.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

True.

Posted 12 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

237 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on May 13, 2011
Last Updated on May 21, 2011
Tags: carpenter, philosophy, institution, masses

Author

tekphobik
tekphobik

Red Deer, Alberta, Canada



About
I live for the words. Artistry is taking pieces of your soul out and throwing them against a wall to make someone else feel something or experience some sort of insight. It's the only thing worth li.. more..

Writing