Sweet dreams are made of this...

Sweet dreams are made of this...

A Story by Mariam

                                                                                                                                Dedicated to L.T.



“I can’t believe it, Mary… I can’t believe that he is so in love with me.”

 

“Then don’t believe, just feel without any predisposition,” I replied to my fortunate buddy.  Last time when I heard practically the same from her was four months ago, but the meaning was a bit different: “I can’t believe I can fall in love with him again” and the guy was different too.

 

How peaceful I felt that day, at that very moment, while drinking my Americano, dark brown but not strong, in a small cozy cafe in the center of Moscow. Intricately decorated ochre walls with the colorful sketches made by its visitors, low ceilings, small table lamps from Ikea and brown-black round tables gave a relaxed impression in the room. Tall dark windows welcomed the autumn sun with its cherished misty rays and a nice German song with a cheerful jewish melody was a perfect background for discussing Elvira’s feelings towards Arthur.

 

“I know, I got it bad… Now I understand that I love him. Those days which we spent together, those four days, absolutely unforgettable…and …when I think that we walked in the same streets arm in arm, while I run to my studies, my heart goes out.  Time presses… those who want to be happy?”

 

 “Did you like your room in the hotel?”  I asked curiously.

 

A foxy smile appeared on Elvira’s face.

 

“Hmmm, I don’t know, I think you would like it more…”

 

“Oh, why?” I said, wondering what she supposed to be my style.

 

“Imagine a tiny room for two people, where the walls are mirrors… Perhaps you may find it romantic. And now imagine a double bed with a leopard cover and pillows on it, and…a drum-roll…. leopard skin on the ceiling! Pure insanity! ”

 

I’m insane, I thought to myself, looking at sunrays, yes I would like this room… Life is a Cabaret! Finally I found the right definition and the words of this song filled me up with the sip of coffee:

 

 

“What good is sitting alone

In you room?

Come hear the music play.

Life is a Cabaret, old chum,

Come to the Cabaret.

Put down the knitting,

The book and the broom.

Time for a holiday.

Life is a Cabaret, old chum,

Come to the Cabaret.

Come taste the wine,

Come hear the band.

Come blow a horn,

Start celebrating;

Right this way,

Your table's waiting.”

 

Our table wasn’t waiting, Elvira was enjoying macaroni and cheese with tomato and I was savoring an ice cream ball with a fried coconut crust.

 

“You know, he asked me to try smoking… He finds it sexy when a young lady smokes, while holding a glass of red wine.”

 

“Welcome to our smoking club, babe,” I said teasing her, “How did you feel?”

 

“I liked it,” she answered quietly and blushed “and I like making love with him… I’m obsessed with this desire, if not addicted yet. When I think about it, it scares me. Who am I?”

 

“Nymphomaniac!” I cried out and we both burst into hideous laughter, “You are young, full of energy, dreams, hopes, with strong beautiful bodies, you enjoy each other, why not?!”

All men in this room, who were drinking their Beerchen in harmony with themselves turned their heads in a blink and started to scrutinize our faces and legs.

 

“I have been following your changes for a long time, but I think I don’t keep pace with them. You tell me all this and I feel how different you are…”

 

“Am I? Really?” she asked. “Ah, yes, I’m Gemini…”

 

“Exactly.”

 

“I wonder what you would write about my changes … But if I don’t like, I will tear it up… Perhaps. ”

 

I can’t believe it… I can’t believe that I’m so in love with this metamorphosis. The world was on autumn fire and no one could save me but my friend... Strange wild desire to live, to inhale her happiness, which she had shared with me made me dream… Deciduous thoughts, bright and rustling. Autumn... What a wicked season.

 

 


Painting: DanaCaldera.com

© 2013 Mariam


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

This is rather like listening into a private conversation, hearing snippets of personal information that only close friends exchange! What a wonderful exchange though, a description of how a love affair's going, the way it leaves the woman, the scene-setting, the inter-change between the two lovers and their desire. In fact, this could be the scene from a film, woman chit-chat, enjoyed, purred over, the smiles exchanged and adding to that, the interested looks by nearby men - ' All men in this room, who were drinking their Beerchen in harmony with themselves turned their heads in a blink and started to scrutinize our faces and legs.' Love does indeed produce changes, most for the good! Great illustration by the way.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

This comment has been deleted by the poster.
emmajoy

10 Years Ago

This is a very fine story, look forward to reading more of your work.
Mariam

10 Years Ago

Welcome to my page :)



Reviews

This is rather like listening into a private conversation, hearing snippets of personal information that only close friends exchange! What a wonderful exchange though, a description of how a love affair's going, the way it leaves the woman, the scene-setting, the inter-change between the two lovers and their desire. In fact, this could be the scene from a film, woman chit-chat, enjoyed, purred over, the smiles exchanged and adding to that, the interested looks by nearby men - ' All men in this room, who were drinking their Beerchen in harmony with themselves turned their heads in a blink and started to scrutinize our faces and legs.' Love does indeed produce changes, most for the good! Great illustration by the way.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

This comment has been deleted by the poster.
emmajoy

10 Years Ago

This is a very fine story, look forward to reading more of your work.
Mariam

10 Years Ago

Welcome to my page :)

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

321 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on November 1, 2013
Last Updated on November 1, 2013
Tags: diary, cafe, friends, autumn, love

Author

Mariam
Mariam

Armenia



About
Love more..

Writing
Hole Hole

A Poem by Mariam


Nirvana Nirvana

A Poem by Mariam


Honey ego Honey ego

A Poem by Mariam



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..