Estuary

Estuary

A Poem by Christine Macdonald
"

A poem about my personal journey writing my memoir

"

Estuary

 

My life on paper

My spirit through the keys

Unfettered memories

On bended knees

 

Each lesson touched

Fingers to the bone

Each victory unveiled

Each journey home

 

Should I cast aside each dagger

Dripping with mistrust?

Should I pretend I was not once the girl

Full of pain and lust?

 

So I keep my fingers tapping

Across the keyboard, through sands of time

I breathe in the woman I’ve become

The strength inside the rhyme

© 2011 Christine Macdonald


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews


Truly insightful, filled with longing and thoughtfully written.

Enjoyable throughout...!

Posted 12 Years Ago


wow... this is a nice reflection, but i think its one that just skims the surface :) the last stanza i like especially because it shows the that this poem is complete
cant wait to read more of your work
great job with this

Posted 12 Years Ago


My Dear Writing Friend,
I was not sure I had a good grip on the word Estuary, so I looked it up.

estuary |ˈes ch oōˌerē|
noun ( pl. -aries)
the tidal mouth of a large river, where the tide meets the stream.
DERIVATIVES
ORIGIN mid 16th cent. (denoting a tidal inlet of any size): from Latin aestuarium ‘tidal part of a shore,’ from aestus ‘tide.’

This definition made your poem even more powerful. I read it and the first words that came out of my mouth were wow, she been to hell and back as I have. Your first verse is packed with honesty and points to a life that has experienced a complete release from restraint or inhibitions, as you now know freedom. The lines “My spirit through the keys “and” On bended knees especially touched me.
In verse two your line “Each victory unveiled” made me tear as it brought memories of my own battles with a once living hell when I was fearful that I would die with out a drink, and fearful the drink would make me die. And then one day realizing after starting a new way of life, as is spoken of in my poem 1984, that I was having victory over king alcohol and all the dysfunction this king had brought in my life.
When I read verse three I thought what powerful tool our past can be if we look at the past as life lessons taught us. Lessons we do not need to repeat, and if we are willing to share with others these life lessons learned, others might not have to make the same mistakes we did. This can save others mental, emotional, physical, and spiritual pain. We can use our perceived past negative experiences as a positive guide for our lives and others we reach out to sharing our experience, strength, and hope.
The last verse I found so true. When we write of what we know and have experienced we find healing and can look back and see the changes that have taken place. Thank you for posting such a powerfully, moving poem that sheds the light of hope on a darkened world.

Blessings, Laughing-Bear


Posted 13 Years Ago


CM this poem offers a wonderful in site into your personal journey. The first and last lines are the strongest in that they evoke images that are readily grasped and have meaning on many levels for anyone who reads them.

I have one critique that I seem to write a lot about here on the WC.O. Please, please, please and pretty please (with a cherry on top :) stay away from cliches. They kill me. e.g. Fingers to the bone, dripping with mistrust, sands of time.

You are much more creative than relying on "what was said before". As I said just earlier today to another writer here, a cliche is a cliche because some clever writer said it first and lesser minds latched onto it and reused it incessantly until it became cliche. Be that writer. : )

Otherwise. Nice Write.


Posted 13 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

429 Views
4 Reviews
Rating
Added on April 8, 2011
Last Updated on April 8, 2011

Author

Christine Macdonald
Christine Macdonald

CA



About
At age 14, I was diagnosed with a skin disease that left my face severely scarred. By 19 I worked as an exotic dancer and by 21 was a full-blown drug addict. Twenty years and many life lessons lat.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


This is Me This is Me

A Poem by Sybil182