Know That I Too
We are never alone (a poem for mental health month)
Blood

Blood

A Story by theKansasginger
"

This was a short story I had to write for an intro to ENG studies class. I need to expand more but I had to cut this shorter (mainly to meet the due date)

"

Blood.

Sweat.       

Blood.

Panic.

Tears.

Death.

Well, there went her summer of fun, work, and anything else. Right out the window! Trish Fowles sat in the police station. It felt like a millennium. But in truth it was only a few hours. She had another girl’s blood on her hands. Her work shirt, a white fitted t shirt with the blue Kite’s logo was stained with a giant red smear. Trish stared straight forward. Waiting…

Her father rushed through the doors and found his teenage daughter. He immediately came over to her side. “Trish…Honey”. Trish Fowles was the daughter of the Riley County sheriff. And the witness to a grisly murder of a fellow waitress at Kite’s. Her father , Peter who had been on leave from work, due to a recent heart attack, had been notified and came in to pick her up. Trish just smiled meekly at him. “Hi - daddy” her voice started normal than broke into a quiet sob. Peter gingerly stroked her face with his hand. “Sweetie…Did you give your statement?” he asked softly. Sitting down next to his child. Peter Fowles put his arms around her and held her close. She shook her head. “Daddy…I…I couldn’t” Trish stammered. Peter pushed her head into his chest as she broke into tears. “Shhh…it’s alright” he comforted Trish the best he could.

Peter’s favorite cop, his lieutenant came forward. Nate Esposito. “Hey Pete. I need to ask Trish a few questions. I know you’re gonna want to be present. So…when she can bring her to my desk” Nate said softly. He took a small glance at Trish, “Take your time sweetheart” the detective told the child of his best friend and boss.

Trish sat at Nate’s desk. Five minutes later. Peter stood behind her… “OK Trish start from the beginning. If you can’t …just tell me all you remember” Nate advised.

Flashback

Trish was at work at Kite’s. IT was summer now. She could work full time. College didn’t get in the way much. It was busy and she and the other three waitresses were swamped. Julie-Anna the shy one. Eileen the old one. Nikki Trish’s best friend since birth.  The three women and Trish were hurrying around Kite’s trying to take all the busy orders. “Where the hell’s Legs and the boss?” Eileen yelled over the crowd to the others. “Probably at the fleabag hotel by the highway” Nikki replied grinning slyly. “Nik…Come on…Ann’s not that bad. You’re just jealous because she can wear those Daisy Duke shorts and you can’t” Trish replied. She had gotten to know Ann the new girl when the two women closed up a few times. She liked Ann. And was going to a movie with her Tuesday. “Am not…You know she’s with Matt like that! He’s stupid if she’s not knockin boots with him!” Nikki replied. Trish rolled her eyes, “Nik be nice!” Julie-Anna chided. Trish laughed as she refilled the ketchup bottles. “You just got told by the quiet chick!” “Bite me!” Nikki snapped. The waitresses all went about doing their jobs, taking orders, until later on into the night. When the rush left. The bar phone rang. Trish answered, “Meet your friends at Kite’s this is Trish how may I help you?”  She droned out the answer. “Trish…it’s me Matt” the voice replied. “Matt Halverson you get your a*s to work now! We’re drowning here!” Trish scolded. A siren blare passed through the line. “Where are you?” Trish asked. “Don’t worry about it. Listen I need you to do something for me…If anyone asks I’m home sick alright?” Matt said to her. “Matt what’s this about? Did you lose the money for the bills on the way to the bank again?” Trish asked knowing her boss was a little scatter brained from time to time. “NO! …I no…Trish just please tell them. The cops in town all like you” and with that Matt hung up. Trish rolled her eyes. “Whatever!” she scowled.

Trish went to go help Eileen take the trash outside. “How’s your dad doin’ honey?” Eileen asked the younger woman. “He’s ok. It’s been two weeks since it happened. And the heart attack was really minor…but it was still really scary. I caught him with his radio at dinner two days ago. He smuggled it under the table thinking I wouldn’t hear it. It’s like he thinks I’m an idiot” she sighed. “Well honey now you know how your teachers probably feel when you hide your phone and text in class” Eileen replied. Eileen carried the giant trash bag out and Trish opened the door to the dumpster. “Yes mom” she chuckled. Blushing slightly. Trish pulled her thick hair back into a messy ponytail.  “Boy I’ll tell you! Twenty years in central Kansas and I still can’t get over the humidity!” Trish exclaimed. Eileen smiled as she threw the bag in the dumpster. “Honey I’m forty and I still can’t” she replied. “You know I’m kind of worried about Ann. She’s never been late to work…ever” Trish said softly. Eileen smiled, “I’m sure she’s fine. You know Nikki she doesn’t think before she speaks. Ann’s a nice girl. She’s probably out studying late” Eileen replied. “Yeah…sure” Trish didn’t fully believe her. Ann seemed like the type to call if she was in trouble or couldn’t come in to work. And Matt’s strange phone call bothered her. Eileen saw the expression on Trish’s face as the younger woman stared off into the parking lot behind the buildings in Aggieville, the downtown college district of Manhattan. “Eileen…someone’s out there” Trish said finally.  There was a figure…stumbling. A mop of dark brown hair clearly stuck out when the figure past a street light. Trish suddenly became very aware as to who the figure was. “Eileen…that’s … ANN!” Trish exclaimed. Complete shock overcame Trish’s face. “Get her inside. I’ll call 911. Honey be careful” Eileen ordered.

Trish hurried across the parking lot “Ann! ANN!” Trish called out to the woman. Ann’s clothes were torn. She had a giant coat on covering the rest of her. Trish caught Ann as the other woman collapsed to the ground. Ann was bleeding. “Who…who did this to you?” Trish stammered swallowing the gasp that almost escaped her mouth. She remembered her dad telling her once. To always approach an injured person as calmly as possible. Ann shook her head quickly. Trish carefully tried to pick Ann up but she couldn’t. “Ann? Hey come on…We have to get you inside…stay with me” Trish whispered softly, nerves slowly creeping out. Ann’s soft brown eyes were wild, panicked. Her normally pretty , striking features were covered in bruises, her eye had a hideous black smudge. “Ann…What happened?” Trish asked firmly. “M…Matt” Ann stammered. Trish felt sick, had Matt done this to her? She thought. No it couldn’t be. Matt was an idiot. Loveable but an idiot. In Trish’s mind Matt couldn’t even spell idiot.

 Trish placed a hand on the other girls’ forehead. The truth was Trish was petrified. Calm down she could hear her father tell her softly in the back of her mind. She had no idea what to do except get this girl inside. Trish felt her other hand. Which was currently supporting Ann’s back. There was something sticky, “Ann…” …”HELP! Someone! My friends’ been stabbed!” Trish shrieked. The parking lot by Aggieville was empty. A few people passed, “SIR! SOMEONE PLEASE SHE’S DYING!” Trish shrieked at a passerby who wasn’t stumbling over drunk. He came over. “Tr-Trish! Don’t…Don’t leave me!” Ann sputtered. Trish grabbed Ann’s hand with hers that wasn’t covered in blood. “I won’t leave you…Ann! Ann hold on…come on please” Trish begged. She ignored the sting of tears in her eyes. The passerby came closer, “Patrick?” Trish asked incredulously. “Hey…Trish? What happened?” Patrick Hudson was another child of a cop. Trish knew of him from the family mixers and the annual parties the Manhattan station held for the graduating high students. “I…she’s a friend…I found her” Trish stammered as Patrick scooped Ann up in his stronger arms. “T…TRISH!” Ann grabbed for Trish’s shirt, smearing it with her blood. Trish took her hand…”Ann…Calm down…We’re helping” Trish said softly. “Don…’t don’t trust…Matt. Kite’s…trouble…” Ann sputtered. She started coughing…Trish felt sick, “It’s OK…” Patrick said softly to whom, he wasn’t sure the two girls or himself. Trish wiped the tears away. It had just occurred to her…Ann probably wasn’t going to survive the night.

Eileen popped her head out from the backdoor… “WHAT’S TAK- oh” she saw the two young adults standing…Ann’s limp form in the boy’s arms. “Bring her in back…The office is open” Eileen said softly. Patrick obliged. Trish followed, not letting Ann’s hand go. No matter how cold.

End FLASHBACK

“And you’re boss…This Matt? He asked you to lie to me?” Esposito asked. Trish nodded, blowing her nose on the umpteenth Kleenex Esposito handed her. Peter felt horrible. His kid had seen all of that? Peter stood silently in his place directly behind his daughter. “I couldn’t make out so much of what he was saying…The phone had static and he was yelling. But he told me to lie…say he was sick and that’s why he didn’t show up” Trish explained. Esposito nodded, taking note like scribbles on his giant legal pad. “I didn’t know what to do…I couldn’t carry Ann and Patrick was just there” Trish stammered nervously. Peter put his hand on his daughter’s shoulder. Esposito smiled, “Sweetie you did everything you could. That girl”. “Ann”, “Yes Ann seemed to like you and was probably grateful it wasn’t Nikki. Which reminds me I’m going to have to talk to my daughter if she really talks like that” Esposito frowned. Trish smiled through her tears. “Sorry…don’t tell her I told you” Trish asked apologetically. “Wouldn’t dream of it freckles. Is Patrick Hudson around? Or did Dale take his boy home?” Esposito asked Peter. “Dale was in the parking lot but I haven’t seen him since I came into the building” Peter replied. “Alright…Trish…that’s all from me. I just need you to sign this…Than you can leave” Esposito told her, sympathetically. She nodded, “Thanks” Trish muttered, wiping away at her nose. Esposito passed Trish a form to sign. She quickly did it. Than stood up. “Take care of her Pete...Trish was a victim of unlucky circumstance” Esposito advised. Thanks Nate” Peter shook his hand. “Come on Kiddo…let’s go home” Peter ushered Trish from Esposito’s desk. And into the hallway.

Trish saw Patrick with his father, as they left the building too. Peter had taken off his windbreaker and draped it around Trish’s shoulders. “Dad…just a second” Trish said softly. She turned away from her father and walked over to Patrick and Officer Hudson. “Hey…Patrick…I wanted to thank you for your help…no one else was coming and I panicked” Trish offered. She shook Patrick’s hand who returned her polite smile. “It’s the least I could do Trish…I heard you were close to that girl…I’m sorry” Patrick apologized. Patrick’s father nodded, “I am sorry sweetheart that must have been grisly for both of you”. Trish nodded, she waved goodbye and followed her father to his beat up old pick up outside.

The car ride home was awkward. Not like “Oh…You got an F on a test” awkward. Awkward like “You witnessed a co-worker die from a brutal attack. And found difficulty not crying” awkward. Peter hated this…He hated his child being so distant. Trish just stared out the window of the pickup truck. As they drove down Tuttle Creek Boulevard to their home, it was slowly turning into dawn. The sun perked up. Lights in homes were turning on. Had we been at the station all night? Trish thought to herself. “We’re home” Peter announced ten minutes later.  Trish just sighed; she got out of the car and entered the house without saying a word.

It was noon when Trish rolled out of her comfy bed. After Trish’s mother died when she was seven Peter had done some re-arranging of the house and Trish lucked out by getting the attic bedroom. The sun was shining through her window. As if to say “WAKE UP SLEEPYHEAD! I DON’T CARE IF YOU JUST WINTESSED A TRAGIC DEATH OF A COLLEGE STUDENT! THEY DAY’S GOING TO CONTINUE! AND YOU CAN’T STOP ME! Trish decided then and there she wasn’t a morning person.

She waddled downstairs to find her father in the kitchen. Cooking. Listening to Jimmy Buffet. Dancing around.  Trish rubbed her eyes to make sure she was really awake and not dreaming… She was awake. She had never seen her uptight dad. Let loose and dance…like some normal person. When the music stopped Trish didn’t abandon her spot on the stairwell into the kitchen. Peter turned and blushed as her saw Trish standing there. “How…how long have you been there honey?” he asked nervously. “Long enough to know you should never dance in public” Trish replied with a small smile. That face she made made Peter the happiest he had felt in days. It meant she was going to be ok. “I’ve been learning how to cook since I’m still not cleared to come back to work. And I have nothing else to do. Besides watch soaps” Peter shrugged innocently. Trish smiled slowly. “And I thought you’d like your favorite breakfast” he added. Trish came down into the kitchen from her hiding place. And found her father had cooked pancakes…with chocolate chips nestled inside. And was that maple syrup? “Dad…this is really sweet of you” Trish said softly. “I was worried honey. Patrick’s father called me after we got home…He had a similar reaction with his son. I …want you to be able to talk to me about this…But only when you’re ready. And since you had your last final yesterday call it a small…delayed celebration” Peter explained as he pulled out the chair for Trish to sit. “Thank you dad…for the food…and respecting my space…I want to talk to you but…I can’t” Trish replied. Peter nodded, “eat up. You’ve earned a few days off” Peter replied. Trish nodded, and smiled to herself as she dug into her feast of a breakfast. Peter fixed a healthier meal for himself and sat down with her. “Dad I’m not gonna lie I was half expecting this to be Perkin’s carryout” Trish answered in between bites. Peter smiled to himself. “I’m actually a good cook. Takeout’s just easier”.

After getting showered and dressed into a clean red t shirt and jeans Trish sighed.  She knew talking to someone about what happened was important. Her dad would want her to talk to someone, than talk to him. Dads like him were nice to have around but sometimes they were such busybodies. She called Patrick’s number. “Hi…So…everyone keeps shooting sympathetic glances at me” Patrick greeted her. Trish laughed, “Sorry. I haven’t been out today. My dad made me a big breakfast. That wasn’t takeout. He keeps saying he wants me to talk to someone. I was wondering if you got the same lecture.” Trish asked. “Actually yeah…I mean I don’t live it home anymore but my dad dropped me off at my place last night and told me I should look you up. Should we meet up somewhere?” He asked. “Yeah…Sure…Let’s go to City Park. I can be there in about twenty minutes” Trish replied. “Sure…I’ll meet you by the statue” Patrick replied. Trish smiled softly. “I’ll see you then”.

Trish told her dad she was going, he nodded, “REST! The doctors said you need to rest!” Trish reminded/half scolded as she left. He mock saluted.

Trish took the pick up along with her purse slung across her chest, and drove out to City Park. She saw Patrick. Leaning against the giant statue of Johnny Kaw. She parked the car by the band shell and walked over. “Hey…” she greeted. “Hi…So your boss…Matt…called me after you did” Patrick replied. “I told Esposito he called before. And that he told me to lie for him. I didn’t” Trish replied. “Something’s been bothering me…why did she tell you to not trust Matt?” Patrick asked. “I’ve been thinking that too…I kind of neglected to tell Esposito that part…” she blushed. “Do you think that Matt might have killed Ann?” Trish asked. “I kind of do…but I don’t know where to begin…I mean I’d like to help her…and you” Patrick replied. Trish shot him a look. “I…sure…” she replied. “I’ve been to her dorm once…she might have something there” Trish replied. “There’s housing in the summer?” Patrick asked. Trish laughed, “Yeah…Her…parents have probably been notified. They’ll be coming out here any minute from Atchison” Trish replied. “Do you want to check this out?” Patrick asked slowly…”I am DYING to check this out” Trish replied quickly. “We’ll take your pick up”.

The RA let them in…Trish stated she was friends with Ann and left something upstairs. And that she and Patrick had been with Ann as she died. Which was true…they had been there for Ann. But Trish hadn’t left anything.

The room was clean. Ann kept things clean. And orderly. Patrick blushed. “I feel awkward being here” he mumbled. Trish shot him a curious glance. “Because it’s a girl’s dorm?” she asked. Patrick nodded, “Well…yeah”. “You can wait in the hallway. But ‘d like some” Trish was cut off as two people who were clearly Ann’s Parents were standing in the doorway. “Hi” Trish said softly. “Hello…Uhm My name’s Patrick and this is…” Patrick began “You’re Trish right? It’s nice to meet you sweetheart. Ann spoke highly of you” the mother replied. Ann’s mother looked like an older version of her daughter. Similar body shape, brown hair, soft eyes. She wore a black tasteful business suit. The father wore a black suit and tie. “Yeah…Uhm…hi” Trish smiled politely. Patrick shook the father’s hand, “We know everything…And we’d like to thank you both” Ann’s father replied. “You’re welcome” Trish said softly. Patrick nodded, “Yeah…we’re…sorry” he replied. “It’s alright kids. Were you up here to pack up her things? We have to. And help would be nice” Ann’s mother asked in a small voice. Trish smiled, “Sure” she answered for herself and for Patrick.

Trish helped Ann’s mother pack up her clothes, Patrick helped her father load some furniture to their car. “Uhm…Ann’s mother?” Trish asked timidly. “My name’s Grace Honey” the older woman said softly. “Grace…I wanted to ask you a few questions…Ann was trying to talk to Patrick and I when she…” Trish didn’t dare say died. “And we were wondering if you knew anything about it” Trish asked quietly. Careful not to prod. “What did she say darling?” Grace asked. Trish explained what Ann asked of her and Patrick that night. “Well…she did mention something about your boss being…a little odd. She told me she was going to approach the police about it. But she found out that Matt…your boss right? He had some…problems. Not just socially inappropriate. He was running into some money problems and Ann found out he was short changing the cash register” Grace explained. “I’ve known Matt since I was sixteen…He’s dumber than a box of hammers. But there were sometimes when Nikki and I were suspicious of something. He’d disappear a lot. Or he’d get really short if we asked him questions” Trish replied. She blushed a little. “Ann and I were going to a movie earlier in the week. After closing with her a few times I found out she liked French movies and there was one playing on campus” Trish admitted. Grace saw the look on the young woman’s face. The mother put down the notebook she was holding and pulled Trish into a hug. “Sweetheart you couldn’t have predicted this…I’m glad my daughter got to know a girl like you” Grace said comfortingly. Trish nodded, and sniffled into Grace’s blouse “Oh my God…I’m sorry I’m getting make up on your suit!” Trish apologized. She backed away and wiped her face. Grace then picked up the notebook she discarded and thumbed through it. “Trish… dear these are Ann’s notes she made about everything. You might want to show this to your father. He’s the elected sheriff right?” Grace replied.  Trish nodded, “Yes. He’d…he’d like to see this I’m sure” Trish replied softly.

Patrick had a similar confrontation of sorts with Ann’s father. “You’re a tall boy you can stack these chairs and I’ll put them in our van” the older man replied. “Sir…I was wondering” Patrick began… “My name’s Bill son…call me Bill” the older man replied a slight smile on his face at the younger man’s awkward hesitancy. “Bill …Last night Ann was struggling…and she managed to tell us not to trust her and Trish’s boss, Matt do you know anything about him? Had Ann said anything?” Patrick asked. “Yes… she said Matt was having some problems. That Trish had told him Matt was sort of awkward to begin with. But apparently Ann got suspicious when she noticed he was taking cash from the register. And he started stealing tips from the waitresses. Ann confronted him and he told her to back off. But she didn’t”. Ann’s father explained. “I’m sorry that…she was killed …and that it was in such a sick way…Trish…I’ve known her since we were kids…from a far and she …” Patrick struggled to find the right words. “I understand son…Thank you for your thoughts” the older man replied.

When they got all of Ann’s possessions loaded into her parent’s van the two turned to Trish and Patrick. “Thank you both for that help…We can’t imagine that was easy for you” Grace replied. Trish and Patrick smiled politely. Grace gave Trish a quick hug. “Thanks again sweetheart. I hope you’ll be alright…Nether of you be strangers” Grace stated as they let go. Bill waved from the driver’s seat. As they drove off Trish handed Patrick the notebook. “We’ve got to show this to our dad’s” Trish stated. “Trish…Matt threatened me on the phone last night…that’s what I was trying to tell you” Patrick added hastily. “What? Why? So you won’t go the cops? You’re related to a cop! So am I! We can’t just sit back and do nothing! Ann wouldn’t want us to” Trish replied. “Trish…I didn’t know Ann” Patrick said quietly. “Ok…look I get your concerns but they can help…My dad can help” Trish replied. She picked up her phone that began vibrating in her purse. “Speak of the devil…Dad? What’s up?” Trish asked. “Trish…the house is on fire…get home” Peter’s voice boomed through the speaker. Patrick held his breath cautiously. Trish had to pull the phone away from her ear because her father’s voice was so loud. “Patrick and I will be there” Trish stated. “Department coming…be careful” Trish paled. Patrick saw the look on her face. “Trish? What’s wrong?”. “The line went dead” she mumbled. “I’m driving”.

They pulled up to find Trish’s home no longer ablaze. In fact it looked ok. Except for the garage. The fire department took care of that. Trish leapt out of the car. “DAD!” she called out nervously. Patrick shut the driver’s door. “We’ll find him” he said softly to Trish. In the meantime Patrick was keeping an eye out for his father. “Trish!” she heard her father’s voice from a few yards away. By an ambulance. She ran past patrolmen and found herself in her father’s arms. Patrick was steps behind her. “Sheriff Fowles…Sir…what happened?” he asked. Peter rubbed is head with his free hand. Peter never wanted to let go of his daughter again after today. “I was on the couch resting…Like you told me” Trish’s grip on her father’s waist tightened. “And someone threw this in the window” Peter pointed to a brick with a note attached. “So…I went to go investigate then it spread so quickly I got hit on the head with some plaster from the garage ceiling, after I called the department” Peter explained. “What’s on the note?” Trish asked. Patrick picked it up.

                           Traitor

“It was Matt” Trish whispered. “Matt? Your boss?” Peter asked. He pulled Trish away, keeping his firm grip on her shoulders, she nodded, “Dad…Patrick and I have something to tell you”. And they began. They told him everything about what Ann’s parents told them, she had found out about Matt. “DO either of you have any idea where Matt is right now?” Peter asked. Trish shook her head. Patrick shrugged. “No idea”.  “OK…I’m going to tell Esposito. Then you’re getting the “make sure not to leave out key points” lecture Patricia” Peter shot his daughter a slightly scolding look.”Dad…Two things 1) I had a girl die in my arms around twenty four hours ago and 2) I wasn’t sure who to tell that to” Trish frowned at her father. Peter sighed, he massaged his head. Too tired to argue. “Stay put. You too!” he pointed to Patrick as he walked away.

“Your dad seemed kind of pissed” Patrick said. Trish chuckled. “He was kind of pissed when I arrived at the hospital and screamed at the front desk clerk for about twenty minutes to let me see him because he’s the sheriff or I’d put her in the hospital. Here I think he was mildly agitated” Trish replied. She had to admit she was shocked she hadn’t heard from Nikki. Who would more than likely have Trish locked in her home for days? “We did the right thing” Patrick replied. He mainly was saying this for Trish’s benefit but also his.

Sheriff Fowles appeared again. Trish and Patrick watched him make his way through the crowd. “Alright…They’ve sent out Matt’s description to the local hospitals, police stations, and other public places from here to Topeka and Lawrence. Patrick…your father has asked you to stay here instead of at your apartment. He thinks you’ll be safer here. Trish you go with him to get some things and come straight back. And please be careful” Peter asked of the two. Trish nodded, “Sure dad” she replied.  “Yes sir Sherriff Fowles” Patrick replied.

Trish drove back to City Park where the tires of Patrick’s Cavalier were slashed. “You’re kidding me” he groaned. “Do you think Matt did this? Or maybe one of his friends?” Trish asked inspecting the rest of the car to make sure it wasn’t broken into. Patrick frowned, “It wouldn’t exactly shock me. I’ll call and have it towed. My dad’s probably gonna make me move back home after this” Patrick sighed. Trish smiled sympathetically. That same thing happened to her. She lived in the dorms with Nikki for a while. Than after her dad’s heart attack a whole month before finals Trish made arrangements to move home early and help her dad. The repair man said at this late at night he couldn’t do much but he’d tow it to his shop for tomorrow’s work.

Trish pulled up to Patrick’s apartment complex on Bluemont Avenue, a block from the school of the same name. And let him out. “Sorry again about your car. That sucks” Trish mumbled apologetically. Patrick shrugged it off. “I’m ok…just pissed. I’ll be pretty quick. Or would you like to come in with me? I don’t mind” Patrick offered. Trish smiled, “sure I’ll come in with you” she replied.

Patrick’s apartment was dark, the lights were out. “You’re twenty one right? Want a beer?” Patrick offered. “Uhm…yes and no” Trish replied. “Oh yeah…you’re driving” Patrick nodded. Trish glanced around the apartment and found a picture from 1995. The year her mother died. Seven children, who look very different in shape, size, color, and appearance all wore black and stood together in row. With a small curly mop headed girl at the center. Trish recognized that as her. “Yeah I still have that” Patrick answered for her as he entered the room moments later. Trish glanced up…”Oh! Sorry! I didn’t mean to pry”. “No…it’s OK…it was your mom’s funeral” Patrick replied with an innocent smile.  Trish nodded, she remembered that day. Patrick, Nikki, and a few other children of cops had come to Trish’s mother’s funeral to support their friend. Everyone thought it was so cute all the parents took pictures and kept them to that day. “My dad has mine somewhere. I think reliving that day was too hard for him” Trish replied. Patrick nodded, “It was too hard for him. I remember he barely spoke. But I don’t think we’ve got anything to really worry about. From what you’ve been telling me your dad’ll be pretty OK” Patrick replied with a smile. Trish nodded, “Thanks. That’s what you’ve got?” she asked noting his small red duffle bag. “Yeah…I figure I’ll swing by here if I need to” Patrick replied. Trish nodded, “Alright…let’s head out”.

Back at the pickup truck there was a note on the windshield. “What the hell?” she cursed. Patrick picked the note up.

           Stop trying to find me. You won’t win

“Matt’s trying to scare us” Trish thought to herself. Patrick glanced at her as he put his bag in the cab. “What I don’t get is why he took the money from your cash register to begin with. Or why he went after Ann? What did she find out that he wants to keep secret?” Patrick asked as they pulled away. “Well in the notebook it looked like Ann figured something out. Like someone was shaking Patrick down because he owed money. It may be something as simple as that…and that Ann was going to tell. I was going to a movie with her Tuesday she said she wanted to talk to my dad beforehand about something” Trish replied.

They drove away sharing theories about who Matt owed money too. “Patrick I highly doubt there’s the mafia in Manhattan, Kansas. Or that he sold the bar. Matt’s just the manager and Kite’s is an institution in town” Trish laughed at his theories. “It seems too simple if he was on drugs. But like that would explain his psycho behavior. “It would also be explained by being on edge because you owe money” Trish added.

They pulled up to the driveway of Trish’s home. It was late now, around 11:30. The lights were off. Trish frowned. “He told us to come right back” Trish answered. “Is he the type to wait up for you?” Patrick asked. She shot him a simple but incredulous stare. “Right…what was I thinking? Kid of a cop of Riley County. OF course he was” Patrick admitted. They both cautiously approached the house as Trish slowly unlocked the door.

“Dad? You up?” she asked. “In the kitchen” her father’s voice called back Patrick glanced around. The house was silent, and dark. Something was definitely wrong. “What if Matt’s here?” Patrick asked in a low whisper. Trish’s eyes widened slowly. “But there wasn’t another car in the driveway. Was there?” she asked in a return whisper. Patrick shook his head. “Careful” and the two slowly crept through the large house. Little to Trish’s knowledge of course, Patrick carefully stuck his hand into his pocket and grabbed his cell phone. Patrick dialed his father’s number.

Matt was there standing at the head of the table, with Trish’s dad. “Dad” she started over to go help him but Patrick pulled her back. “Why can’t you just leave me alone? I needed to disappear but you had to keep pushing. Keep nosing around” Matt frowned. Trish glanced at Patrick. Then to her father. “Why is my dad here? You barely know him” Trish asked. “To get you here and to get my message through your thick head. I need to disappear. I owe some people money. I can’t pay that money because that cutie Ann started poking around too” Matt snarled. “Matt…if you just… calm down…we can help you. You don’t have to pay them. Patrick’s father and the other cops can put these people away” Peter said calmly. “I killed ANN!” Matt roared. “How can they help?! I’m going away for a long time anyway!” Trish felt her stomach churn. Her stupid loveable oaf of a boss wasn’t stupid. Or a loveable oaf. It was all an act. “Matt…please….please don’t …don’t hurt anyone else” Trish said softly. “I need…to …I need to think” Matt began pacing. He shoved Peter over back to where Trish and Patrick stood. Peter held onto Trish’s shoulder. “Do either of you two have any idea what his problem is?” Peter asked. “He’s freaked out because he owes some people money” Trish mumbled. Patrick carefully made sure that Matt wasn’t watching and pulled out his cell phone. He showed it to Peter and Trish. “My dad’s heard everything so far” Patrick whispered softly. “Good boy” Peter stated with a broad grin on his face. Trish held her breath.

“OK…I need car keys” Matt announced as he came back inside the room. Trish glanced at her dad; she had the pickup’s keys. And Matt’s car was in the shop. She threw the keys to Matt. “It’s out front”. “Your piece of junk?! Everyone knows you drive that thing I’ll get caught for sure” Matt scoffed. “You’re going to get caught either way! This doesn’t end well for you!” Patrick growled. He was starting to get irritated with Matt’s vagueness and his rude manner. “What do you propose genius?” Matt growled back. “What’s all this about?!” Patrick snapped. “I told you I owe money!” Matt snarled. “Why?” Trish asked calmly. “They…were threatening my…family . . . and me. I dropped out of school and needed spare cash. . . I got…I was in Topeka a lot and…needed some way to kick money back to my family”. “You got caught up in gangs didn’t you?” Trish asked. “A robbery ring yeah…They wanted more money than I could afford. Ann figured out what I was doing…and wasn’t too happy. She threatened to come to your dad…So I had to shut her up” Matt replied. “You killed her…over money?” Peter asked. It all seemed so trivial. “I was desperate! And she was coming to you! I had to stop her!” Matt roared. Trish winced at his tone. “Matt. Come on…This is over…” Patrick was struggling to find the right words to say. Sirens were blaring.  Matt let out an angry growl. “You called the cops?!” “Matt…please…If you tell them what we just heard…they’ll help you” Trish said softly.

“Dad…what’s going to happen to Matt?” Trish asked. Peter and Trish stood outside their home, on the porch and watched the squad car with Matt inside drive away. “He’ll probably go to jail for awhile. But not as long as we thought. If he decides to tell them what he told us” Peter replied. Trish felt bad for Matt…he knew what was going to happen the second he stabbed Ann. Patrick came over to them , along with his father. “Matt’s going to tell them everything. The gang unit in Topeka’s going to get involved” Patrick’s father answered. “Good” Trish vocalized what everyone was thinking. But another thought crossed her mind, there’s always going to be gangs. Matt may not get much of a chance.  Patrick seemed to know what she was thinking, he nodded in response.  Trish watched the police cars leave. She felt her phone vibrate. “One new voice mail!” the electronic voice sang. Trish rolled her eyes as she answered, “TALK. AS SOON AS YOU GET THIS! WHAT THE HELL HAVE YOU BEEN UP TO?!” Nikki’s voice trilled. Trish clicked the phone off. Patrick sat down next to her. “So…quite a day huh?” he stated. Trish suppressed a laugh and settled on a chuckle, “Yeah…Quite a day” the younger woman replied with a smile. Not only was this the second time in two days her street was filled with emergency vehicles, but it was the second time Patrick had been around to help. Her dad was already back in position as sheriff, in spite of having sick days left and Patrick was becoming her close friend again. Maybe this summer wasn’t going to be such a bore after all.

© 2011 theKansasginger


Author's Note

theKansasginger
This may seem short, I had to cut it because I would never finish this ontime to the due date.

Thanks!

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

The story was very captivating! I really liked your introduction, as it was punchy and really drew me into Trish's world. The plot definitely went into many different turns and I thoroughly enjoyed the first adventure I was brought on. If you want to make your story easier to read I suggest fixing the dialogue a bit, such as indenting every time a new speaker appears and making sure to keep commas in the right place. It would make it so we could follow along better. Good job!

Posted 3 Years Ago


Not short, but more of a tv Pilot

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

theKansasginger

9 Years Ago

I haven't thought of that! May do that when I get out of college.

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

216 Views
2 Reviews
Added on June 15, 2011
Last Updated on June 15, 2011

Author

theKansasginger
theKansasginger

Saint Cloud, MN



About
*RECENT* HOLY COW I FORGOT ABOUT THIS! Hi! Uhm I'm Meredith. Graduateed college! Trying to actually use my degree :) more..

Writing