Full Moon

Full Moon

A Story by Bad Wolf
"

A story taken from real life...but not altogether real.

"
There is a girl sitting on the beach. It is midnight, and she is all alone. 
Fires are blazing merrily and strong in the distance. Hotels on the beach rest heavily on their timbers behind her, but the girl has turned her back on society. 
Her back faces towards the buildings. In front of her, the last strains of glorious sunset are disappearing, dissipating from the now dark sky. Then one-by-one, stars pop into sight. The sky is now filled with the smallest pinpoints of silvery light. 
Now, the sky is completely dark, other than the stars. It is a cloudless night, and looking out at the bay, the girl sees the dark blue sky, ever so much lighter at the horizon, with stars scattered across it like salt thrown on a tablecloth, and the leaves of palm trees ringing the scene on its edges. 
The tide is coming in, and the water is warm. The girl, who was before dry, is now washed by the waves in warmth. She does not move, knowing that to move would to be to escape the warmth. 
And then, from above the horizon, the tiniest sliver of moon appears. The girl's head turns, just a fraction of its full range, to lift her eyes into the radiance of the moon. 
As the moon rises higher, the girl averts her eyes. With one hand wrapped around her bent legs, her right and lightly rakes through the sand. Though the sand is wet, it comes away in clumps at her gentle touch. 
Sighing and looking down, the girl lets the sand fall from her hand, letting it splatter onto the wet sand being gently aggressed beneath her. 
And then a wave rolls onto it again, washing it away.
As if it never happened, the girl looks back at the moon. It is now completely above the horizon and as large as a full moon will become. 
Rays of light emanate from the moon, like gaseous silver hitting the shores of this Mexican beach. The beach now has a bluish-silver aura to it, with rays of moonlight reflecting off the pure white sand and the crests of the tumultuous ocean waves. 
Then everything is still. The gulls over the skies of Cancun, Mexico stop their cries, and the laughter in the distance fades away. The beach fires seem farther away and more detached, and the lights of the hotels behind the girl seem dimmer, almost muted. Nothing exists in the girl's corner of the universe except her, the cold sand, warm water, and the moon.
Timeless are the evening stars
Surrounding the moon
A pearl in legions of others
Reflections on the water
Choppy but clear
A path to follow

Days on, nights after
Surrounded by a ring of pure
and
Endless 
light

Outside and within
a Deep
Stark
and
Dazzling darkness

Ready to overcome
All it engulfs
Is the Darkness
And the Light

A hungry,
Powerful,
Potent
Force

Driving creation
and thus destruction
where we mere mortals stand
in its midst
Unaware

© 2013 Bad Wolf


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

150 Views
Added on June 17, 2013
Last Updated on June 30, 2013
Tags: Cancun, Mexico, beach, moon, night, alone

Author

Bad Wolf
Bad Wolf

Writing
Trio Trio

A Story by Bad Wolf


Alone Alone

A Poem by Bad Wolf