A Single Mother's Plight

A Single Mother's Plight

A Story by Tom Miller
"

This is a story of desperation, a story of choice. What would you choose to do if you were pulled into two different directions?

"

A Single Mother’s Plight, by Tom Miller

 

A loud thump reverberates in my head. The noise startles me awake, my vision is hazy. I combat blurry eyes, for rest escaped me this night. I get up after finding my body curled on the couch, the noise was made by Lucy. She’s a small dog but big enough to make a commotion. I stumble and fight to find balance. Pain. Instant pain surprises me. I have tripped myself with the coffee table leg. I can feel the hit in my elbows, my stubbed toe sends me falling back on the couch. Lucy continues her exploration snubbing me. The sound I hear, crinkling, crinkling paper. Donuts most likely. They’re her favorite. More sounds, creaking floor above my head. It was my daughter sneaking in or out. I decided it was time to bust her since I let it go out of nostalgia to my youth. I stand putting pressure on my foot. It stabs me but I hold on. My other leg cramps. The weakness pulls me to the floor. My eyes begin to tear, I begin to cry uncontrollable. I’m so tired now. The sounds overhead and from the kitchen return simultaneously. I fight to decide a mother’s plight. Trying to choose where to go first, my daughter or dog. It’s hard to think, hard to concentrate. I wrestle the decision. They are happy and full of energy. I am not. I’m tired, exhausted. I pick myself up, unable to decide my first action. The clock says three, then four, then five.  Suddenly I awaken by the light of a new day. The dog asleep at my feet. The upstairs quiet. All is well, and all is right. It was imagined from my weariness.

© 2013 Tom Miller


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

I really enjoyed this read. I know the feeling of being pulled in two different directions. Thanks for posting this interesting story Tom! And welcome to WritersCafe!

-CW

Posted 10 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

132 Views
1 Review
Added on August 29, 2013
Last Updated on August 29, 2013
Tags: single mother, plight, sleep, daughter, dog, cramps, micro fiction, dream, dreaming, morning

Author

Tom Miller
Tom Miller

MIDWEST, MO



About
I like writing about uncomfortable situations. I like provoking a response so that I can drag all the ugly things we have in common with into the light. more..

Writing