Seer RP

Seer RP

A Story by Mr. Misanthrope
"

Special Powers Application | Lumos Alliance

"

Night had already fallen on the grand structure of Hogwarts. It was raining heavily, and one by one, each little light of every window went out, where the inhabitants now welcomed a cozy, untroubled sleep. Except for one.

 

Among the rooftops of the castle, where an army of towers of all shapes and sizes now slept, one light was still burning. It belonged to the Divination tower, where Professor Luke Cross was once again burning the midnight oil. But this time, it wasn't to catch up on some assignment corrections.

 

As the wind and rain bashed against the window panes of his office, Luke sat at his desk, contemplating nothing in particular. His hands were brought together in a manner as if he were about to pray, and his fingertips lay against his lips, as his dark green eyes surveyed his surroundings, and all that he had accumulated in his life up till now.

 

His office was quaint, and stacked with several wooden bookcases, each one lined with all kinds of books, old, new, and withering away. A dim light was all that kept the room from being plunged into complete darkness; a fireplace coated the room in a sickly warmth, while an assortment of candles, large and small, lay on every surface and in every corner, some scented, others just nice to look at.

 

It took a while for Luke to realise that his legs were shaking frantically by themselves, a habit of his when he was nervous. The reason for his nerves? Well, it must have been pretty worrying, for in the next five minutes that flew by, Luke had gotten up, locked the door, and sat down on one of the many colourful cushions that were scattered around the wooden floors of the stuffy room. In front of him lay a crystal ball, along with a goblet of water and a silver bowl filled to the brim with lustrous rocks. Taking out his wand, he pointed it at the crystal ball, and said: "Wingardium Leviosa!" The ball hovered up to the level of his chest, and then stopped. It remained there, levitating, his reflection appearing in the spherical object, with the fire of the fireplace gleaming in it.

 

He then took the goblet, and decanted the liquid into the bowl. Dense white fumes began to erupt from the now dissolving rocks. With a few breaths, Luke inhaled the smoke, which had a sweet smell, reminiscent of jasmine flowers. His eyes began to twitch, and a few seconds later, they had turned a dead white colour, and he stared motionless at the crystal ball, his face disfigured by the thick cloud of smoke.

 

The room began to spin. The hallucinations were never his favourite part of the ritual. Colours became brighter, everything else more detailed, and already Luke felt like he wanted to throw up. Then, his slender hands began to curl around the crystal sphere, which now appeared to have real smoke floating around inside of it. He waved his hands continuously around it, desperately trying to get rid of the clouds, in the hope of finding something, anything...a door to get away from the thing he now chose to perform every night for the last few months.

 

And then he saw it. A door. It was large and made of dark brown wood, with a huge door knocker on the front. He lifted it, the weight residing somewhere in between that of a feather and a boulder. The knocker banged mercilessly against the door, and the sound was deafening. It resounded inside Luke's head, over and over and over again. The door creaked open, and bright lights enveloped his entire body. It was blinding, and seemed to fill every single dark corner on the earth.

 

Before he knew it, Luke had collapsed back onto the floor of soft cushions, gasping for air. Scrambling up from his seat, he ran towards the singular window of his tower, where he opened it, and allowed the cold night air, as well as the rain, to enter and hit his face. The smoke in the room began to recede as the rocks in the bowl dissolved completely. His hyperventilation died slowly, and he once more closed the window and retreated back into the warmth of his office.

 

He rubbed his eyes, which were bloodshot and tired. Tonight, he hadn't had that much luck. It was quite obvious that fate wasn't willing to show him anything.

 

Staring back at his spot, he saw that the crystal ball was still floating in midair, as still and circular as ever. Everything was back to normal.

 

Except...

 

Something was glinting in the firelight. He made his way back to where he was sitting, and bent down to find a black butterfly with blue motifs painted on its wings. He brushed it onto his palm. One of its wings was damaged, and it was obviously dying, as it struggled to move. Shuddering its wings one last time, it gave in, and died in his hand.

 

So there had been something after all. Only, what did it mean? As Luke pondered over it for a few moments, the grandfather clock that stood next to his liquor cabinet chimed once.

 

"One o'clock," Luke said. He sighed.

 

(OoC: Luke is able to penetrate the future with the help of a hallucinogenic, i.e. ethylene gas, which produces a sweet smell. After that, it is all up to whether fate wishes to show him anything, usually characterised by spiritual doors. If he sees anything, they will appear to him in the form of images, somewhat similar to dreams, and occasionally, objects/things can cross over from the spiritual realm. However, if these are living things, they rarely ever survive the transition, and ultimately die, as can be seen in this sample RP. It is never guaranteed that the object would have any relevance to the images seen, if any are seen at all, but it is assumed that everything happens for a reason, so they should have something to do with it.)

© 2014 Mr. Misanthrope


Author's Note

Mr. Misanthrope
The archiving process continues! This piece of fanfiction was written around the same time as the other Harry Potter role-playing pieces, so I'm guessing 2009. I'm not expecting anyone to actually comment on these. In the few years that I've been a part of this site, I still don't know what the stance is on fanfiction (I have seen a bit of lying around here), but because this is faster than having to write it all out, and cheaper than wasting printer ink, I've decided to continue putting these up here, because I feel I can't part with them. For the most part, I really enjoyed those role-playing days. They certainly taught me a lot.

Anyway, this was a Special Powers Application. At the time when I was playing the part of Divination Professor under the name 'Luke Cross', the staff came up with the idea of giving 'students' on the site the opportunity to sign up and role-play for particular abilities subject to Harry Potter canon, such as becoming an Animagus. In my case, I chose the Seer ability since it was the most appropriate, but being a professor didn't mean I got it without an actual application, so I still had to roleplay a situation where I'm essentially demonstrating how such an ability would work, specifically because the way the ability worked could be stretched very far. Personally, I was quite happy with how this had turned out.

Oh, and for those who might have been wondering: 'OoC' (the bit in brackets) refers to 'Out of Character', where you step out of your roleplaying character to explain, as yourself, what you were trying to achieve in the writing.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

91 Views
Added on August 13, 2014
Last Updated on August 13, 2014

Author

Mr. Misanthrope
Mr. Misanthrope

Malta



About
Join my group: Night Syndrome more..

Writing