The Divination Office

The Divination Office

A Story by Mr. Misanthrope
"

"Still awake? What brings you here at this hour? No matter. I'll be with you in a moment."

"
You feel a chill as you ascend the spiral staircase of the Divination Tower, situated among the many turrets of the castle. The big wooden door in front of you opens, and you are instantly overcome by the sharp smell of vanilla candles burning, strong cinnamon incense, and a warm blanket of heat coming from the fireplace, which crackles pleasantly.

The room is circular, and paintings of all shapes and colours hang from the burgundy-coloured walls. There is not one shelf that doesn't have a candle on it, each with its own particular design and scent. And hundreds of books line the walls and bookcases.

One solitary window sits at the back of the office, giving a breathtaking view of the Black Lake, the surrounding mountains, and a beautiful full moon. Carpets are scattered everywhere, as are other odd objects; jars containing potion ingredients, sculptures, and rolled-up posters of the latest Equinox meetings.

Professor Luke Cross sits patiently at the large desk that stands in the middle of the room, its surface overflowing with homework assignments, feather quills, and three empty brandy glasses, courtesy of his liquor cabinet. A second door on the side leads to the Divination classroom, where his eager students learn about the mystic art of precognition. A grandfather clock chimes the arrival of midnight, as the professor's black cat, Ink, curls up by the fire, content with its luxury.

© 2014 Mr. Misanthrope


Author's Note

Mr. Misanthrope
I hope this isn't all becoming overkill. This was the Divination Office description summary I had posted on Lumos Alliance in the Teachers' Corridor. It was never absolutely necessary, but I used to love spending time on these atmospheric pieces, as well as finding a fitting picture to accompany the text with. All part of the fun.

Written 4 January 2010.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

69 Views
Added on August 18, 2014
Last Updated on August 18, 2014

Author

Mr. Misanthrope
Mr. Misanthrope

Malta



About
Join my group: Night Syndrome more..

Writing