Cross's Curiosities

Cross's Curiosities

A Story by Mr. Misanthrope
"

169 Merlin Ambrosius Lane, Diagon Alley

"
Making your way through the hustle and bustle of Merlin Ambrosius Lane, a cramped street packed tight with quaint little shops filled with all sorts of treats, you come across a particularly alluring shop. The large sign atop its wooden door reads 'Cross's Curiosities', and from peering inside the window panes, you see an oriental atmosphere, shrouded in mist. On entering the cozy place, your nostrils are overwhelmed with the strong smell of incense. The mist you saw before is a mystery no more, yet you forget about that, for you are instantly captivated by the enigmatic aura the shop seems to be giving off...a dreamlike state flowing around in tinges of purple and red and blue, matched ever so harmoniously by the tinkling sound of the wind chimes hanging by the entrance you just came in through.

What was once a large shop has now been filled to the brim with all sorts of chaos. Lamps and teapots lie everywhere, drapes of all colours, crystal balls, paintings, and a black cat sleeping on the counter, which at first you thought was stuffed. Necklaces, rings and other trinkets lie on many dusty shelves, their precious stones glinting in the soft light various candles are giving off, and possibly the most prominent thing in the shop are the bookshelves piling on on top of the other till the ceiling.

This shop is devoted to the arts of Divination, but you see that stacks of many other irrelevant things lie scattered on the wooden floors, which you cannot even see because of all the Persian carpets and shrouds. All of these things are coated in a sickly warmth, which you presume is emanating from the roaring fire at the back of the store.

You are bound to find something that appeals to you in this treasure trove of wonders, whether it be food, clothes, or any other old stuff. Come on in, and enjoy your stay!

© 2014 Mr. Misanthrope


Author's Note

Mr. Misanthrope
At the time of writing this, I was especially happy with how it had turned out. Looking back, I don't know how I ever had the patience to sit down and actually think up something like this. It all seems so impossible now. Anyway - all members on Lumos Alliance could own shops, to which you'd give your own name and maybe even a fun description on the store front.

I like to picture my character being somewhere in the back of the store, sitting at a little table, drinking tea, and offering my divination-related services to anyone who's interested. Among other things.

Written c.2010.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

50 Views
Added on August 18, 2014
Last Updated on August 18, 2014

Author

Mr. Misanthrope
Mr. Misanthrope

Malta



About
Join my group: Night Syndrome more..

Writing