Facedown

Facedown

A Story by Contessa
"

Just... loneliness and confusion and choices and directions and being lost.

"

Facedown

I sit on the twin-sized mattress in the dimly lit room wearing the shirt with that smell, staring at the peeling, stained, floral wallpaper, and contemplate what to do with myself. The phone sits across the room, a silent menace to my mind. It would be so easy to step across the dusty floorboards, pick up the phone, and dial the number. Your number.

You.

I imagine your voice, the way your tone would change so quickly. I imagine your laugh, how it would mingle with the sound of the rain smattering against the small, single-paned window above me. I imagine you.

But I’m tired. So, I sit in the middle of my small room on my bare mattress, the phone on my right and a bottle of Valium on my left, and wonder what to do. It would be so easy to walk across the room to the rickety wooden bedside table and pick up the bottle and count out the number. 

I could sleep.

I stand and press a hand against the cool glass of the rain-flecked window. I remember how you were always lost. I didn’t mind. It meant that you always needed me.

I turn left. You don’t need me anymore.

I walk back across the room, lie facedown on the bare twin-sized mattress in your shirt that still smells like you, pills weighing me down, and contemplate what to do with myself.

I miss you.

You.

© 2017 Contessa


Author's Note

Contessa
named for the 1975's song "facedown." Did I overdo the vagueness and repetition?

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Hey this is a really interesting story. i like the uses of periods to stop your reader, making your sentences short. I think the vagueness is a little much, but not over bearing. this is a great story!

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Contessa

6 Years Ago

Thank you! definitely appreciate your feedback :)

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

297 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on April 26, 2017
Last Updated on April 26, 2017
Tags: love, saddness, depression, suicide, drugs, pain, lost

Author

Contessa
Contessa

Seattle, WA



About
A hopeless romantic. A flash-fiction/super super short story lover. Yes, I'm gay. more..

Writing
Apocrypha Apocrypha

A Poem by Contessa


Oh! Starving Oh! Starving

A Story by Contessa