And Justice For All

And Justice For All

A Story by Amanda Abra
"

Essay on immigration published at www.theopinionmagazine.com for July 2007 issue

"

 And Justice for All

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

by Amanda A. Abraham

 

 

            Immigrants travel to America in hopes of opportunities and advantages they may not have the ability to obtain in their foreign lands. These people hear stories of success, wealth, and freedom in a magnitude that can only be obtained in the United States. America is given the name “the melting pot”, which is acquired from the assumption that people from all different lands will be welcomed, accepted, and respected. From this assumption, an extremely diverse culture is formed from thousands of unique parts that collectively create one whole, peaceful nation. However, this principle is not directly received or practiced by all. The actions and prejudices of some citizens born in this country make it more difficult than necessary for many immigrants looking for residence in the United States to fulfill their dreams, goals, and wishes.

 

            An alarming number of citizens born in the United States feel as if immigrants need to prove themselves in order to earn respect. If this is to be considered a free nation, then foreigners should not be ostracized if they do not speak English fluently--or at all. Frequently, American-born onlookers will rudely exclaim, “You’re in America! Speak English!” to foreigners. Those who do not know our language are often viewed as less intelligent beings, and therefore, more subject to prejudice and injustice.  There is a commonly-held assumption that there is a national language for our country--yet in fact, there is not. Furthermore, time is required for people to adapt to cultures other than their own, and it should not be considered insulting if an immigrant never fully adapts to our American culture.

 

Some immigrants are deemed a threat to our country, simply because they hold similar appearance to participants in classified terrorist groups (such as Al-Quiada) that originate in the Middle East. In reality, however, many of these people labeled a threat are not even of the same religion or origin as these terrorists, nor do they have any interest whatsoever in committing terrorist acts. These immigrants are victims of racial profiling—something that has become more and more prevalent in light of recent events, such as the September 11th, 2001 terrorist attacks. Additionally, it has become increasingly overlooked that there are and have been very dangerous terrorists groups present within our country for decades, such as the Klu Klux Klan and Neo-Nazis. The fact that they have diminished in popularity over time, should not overshadow the harm they can cause to our nation in itself. In fact, the profiling afore mentioned are the very principles on which these two terrorist groups are based, and if we are beginning to adapt these views, this should indeed be more than enough cause for worry.

 

            To this day, many immigrants are forced into jobs they are overqualified for, and offer the minimum amount of compensation. This injustice is due to the conjecture that foreigners are ignorant people who do not deserve the chance to acquire financial success. It is more difficult for immigrants than any other human beings to reap the advantages they desire, no matter how much labor they exert. Furthermore, this strain is the reason why a large portion of immigrants are subject to live their lives in poverty.

 

           Immigrants travel great distances in search of true prospects and independence, as well as a peaceful environment for themselves and their children to live in—which is not an unreasonable desire. If these people are given equal opportunities, then perhaps those numerous truly ignorant American-born citizens can get over their foolish allegations that immigrants are only here to live off our government and “waste our taxpayer dollars”.

            Some immigrants are favored over others simply because they abhor accents and cultures similar to what would be considered common American culture. If foreigners

look, talk, and act like the majority, then they are more readily welcomed into our country. Examples of people fitting into this category would be immigrants from England or Australia. Disappointing, yet true—our country does a lot of boasting on how diverse our culture is, yet many are fearful of unfamiliar people or behaviorisms. If we would like our nation to continue to be named “the melting pot”, then it is our responsibility to embrace all cultures, rather than only a select few.

 

            People of foreign lands have a lot to offer this country, and this needs to be understood by everyone. Various brilliant precedent scholars and inventors were foreigners whose talents and ideas have shaped and improved our country. A person should be examined based on their morals, character, and actions rather than their place of origin, religion, or culture traits. It is necessary to quell whatever fears we may have of the unknown, and in turn, learn as much as we can about people of foreign lands before we decide it is acceptable to make judgments or prejudices, and offer each person seeking citizenship in this country a just and equal chance.  Through these actions, we shall be one step closer to fulfilling the ever-lasting need for peace and joy shared by all of humanity.

 

© 2009 Amanda Abra


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

144 Views
Added on April 4, 2008
Last Updated on June 18, 2009

Author

Amanda Abra
Amanda Abra

NV



About
I'm in search of new inspirations. more..

Writing
Collapse Collapse

A Poem by Amanda Abra


I'm Not I'm Not

A Poem by Amanda Abra