�Stranger Friends�

�Stranger Friends�

A Story by Marni A. K.

   “I gotcha!” I said, pulling back on the ride and reeling in the fish.  “You didn’t think you’d actually get away from me did ya?  Well,” I said as I took the trout off the hook, “that’s six.  Now let’s get you boys home before the storm hits. “  A boom of thunder.  “Okay, before it rains.”  Now began the trek through the woods and back to my cabin.


    “Mama?  Mama?” I asked on my way to the kitchen.  I found a note on the table, again. 
    “Son,
    I’ve gone out for the day.  I’ll be back later.
                             -Mama.”
    I figured I better write her a note so I wouldn’t be stuck in the house again.
    “Dear Mama,
    I’m out by the lake.  I’ll be back by supper.
                          Love,
                         Tommy”



“Well, we’re lucky it just started raining, otherwise I could’ve gone and dropped ya.”  I said to the bucket of fish as I walked in the front door.  I turned and locked it behind me.  I put the buck on the counter of my small kitchen.  I took off my wet jacket and hung it on one of the hooks by the door letting the water drip off onto the floor.  I went to the fireplace and started a fire.  Now I could work on the fish.
I got out a small yet sharp knife from one of the drawers.  I took the fish and cut off the heads and tails.  I then skinned and washed the now filet.  I got out a frying pan and put it on the stove.  I turned the stove on, letting it heat as I finished working on the trout. Just as I was about to put the fish in the frying pan, I heard a knock on my door.  I just ignored it, thinking it was just one of the many low-lying branches that surround the house.  When I heard it a second time I realized that there was actually someone at my front door.  “Who is it?” I asked, but I got no response.  I went over to the door, unlocked, and opened it.
There, standing at my front door, was an eight-year-old boy, soaking wet.  I invited him inside.  I gave him a towel and some clean clothes, which were clearly too big for him.  I took his wet clothes and placed them by the fire to dry.  I continued to cook the fish.  As I did I asked him some questions:
    “What’s your name son?”
No response.
 “Where you from?”
    No response.
    “Not much of a talker, eh?”
    He shook his head while looking at the floor.
    “Ah, a head shake, well at least were making progress.”
    I finished cooking the trout and got out two plates and two glasses.  I placed the plates down on the little coffee-kitchen table I made the day I came here twenty years ago.  I filled the glasses with water and put them on the table.  I brought the trout over and put one on my plate and one on the boy’s.  He just sat in the chair awkwardly.  I figured I could get him to speak if I managed to get a head shake.  He just looked at the fish, his head hanging over the plate.
   


Ewww.  I hate fish.  Well, at least I think I do.  My mama hated fish so we never had any.  She never said why.  I guess it’s because when you go to the market to buy fish, you get the whole thing, head, eyeballs, everything.   I guess it makes sense.  I don’t think I’d want my food staring back at me.
    I suppose I ought to tell you how I ended up at this man’s house.  Well, it all started this morning.  I was playing in my secret spot in the woods not to far away form the lake.  I couldn’t see the sky through the canopy of trees.  I only knew a storm was coming when I saw that all the animals were gone.  We learned that in school.  Mama was with some man I never met before.  I don’t think she even knew I was gone.  It started pouring, and I started running.  I’ve been in these woods a thousand times, but I didn’t know where I was running. 
    I saw the house.  I thought I was seeing things.  Who’d live out here?  I didn’t care.  I was cold and wet.  I just wanted to get inside.  I knocked on the door.  I didn’t hear anybody.  I knew someone was there when I saw the smoke in the chimney.  I knocked again.  I was surprised he just opened the door for me.  I’d never do that.  Mama always tells me to check to see who’s there before opening the door.  You never know who could be there.
He asked me to come in and gave me a towel and some clean clothes.  Actually he just gave me a clean shirt.  It was practically a dress on me.  He put my clothes by the fire and
asked me questions while he was cooking the fish.  Mama told me never to talk to strangers even though she does it all the time.
I sat at the little table thing he had by the fire.  He brought over some plates and water, and then the fish.  I was hungry.  In never had fish before and wasn’t sure that I would like it.  It smelled good and didn’t have a head.  I made myself eat it, so I wouldn’t seem rude.
    “Tommy,” I said, the name just slipping out of my chewing mouth, “Jennings.”
    “Tommy, eh?  Nice to meet you.  I’m Paul Burton.”

(to be continued)       

© 2008 Marni A. K.


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

90 Views
Added on February 18, 2008

Author

Marni A. K.
Marni A. K.

About
I am 20 and entering my junior year at Bryn Mawr. I've been writing since I was in third grade, but I really feel I came into my own with my sixth grade poem called "Nazi" I wrote in Hebrew school (yo.. more..

Writing