Peter and the Far Off World

Peter and the Far Off World

A Story by DJ Nanni
"

Peter Ward is an 18 year orphan living with his aunt in London after his parents died in the September 11th, 2001 attacks on the Twin Towers. This draws a pixie by the name of Tinker Bell to Earth.

"

















Unedited fifth draft of:

Peter and the Far Off World

By D. J. Nanni




























Chapter One: Prelude: The Sapphire Memory


Circa August, 19XX

Dark Cove, Neverland



For Tress, there was never a question about his duty. He was a Pan and it was a Pan’s job to protect Neverland. Though here at the end of his journey he couldn’t help but think there were only really two types of people, those who were lost and those who weren’t. But here, on this night, as his senses prepared for the end, Tress felt something familiar. It was like the feeling of arriving home after a long time away. Tress knew that he finally had a resolution to the never ending nature of Neverland. He wasn’t lost anymore - the cold steel of a pirate’s blade had saw to that.

Tress took a tender moment to reflect on his past twenty years as a Pan. He thought of his sister, Tiger Lily, and how proud she was the day he became the Pan of Neverland. He thought of his dead father, Chief Rohan, whose ceremonial sword, Sharpseid, he carried into battle. 

How many times has this beautiful sword saved my life, Tress thought. Hundreds...thousands, probably.

In many ways, a Pan’s weapon outlasted Pan himself and Sharpseid would be no different. It had a very uncommon hilt carved of Neverbark, the wood found only in the Bhedra Islands, home of the Natives. A sapphire adorned the hilt, a blue that matched his even more uncommonly blue colored eyes. The sword had no cross guard, as it was made for exceptionally quick hands and the hilt bled right into the hourglass shaped blade. At the bottom of the blade on one side was the ceremonial etching that the faeries put on every one of their heroes’ weapons. Tress’ said “Speed above strength, 153rd Pan of Neverland,” in the faerie tongue of the Sylwraiths. On the other side was his house crest of two dueling tigers that his father had their quartermaster carve in.

However, Sharpseid was different in one particular way. It was upon the very large, centered sapphire that Tress fixated on. So many thoughts flew by in his mind at the speed of light and with all his might he focused his energy on the gemstone. This sword was meant to stop growing danger and though Tress could no longer wield it, it would serve its mission as long as he could help it. Gemstones mined from the Bhedra Islands had the ability to store memories. Tress had failed but he would make sure Sharpseid would not.

And now, as the faeries’ magic drained out of Tress, along with his life, he looked up to the pirate that murdered him. Messy, unkempt hair and a haggard five o’clock shadow surrounded his face. His eyes were on fire; a light brown that burned red with conviction. For the first time, Tress had felt true fear. 

In death, Tress vowed to do his best to make sure this man die for his crimes. And so, looking back into Sharpseid’s sapphire, Tress recounted his last mission.

The faeries and their Pans had been fighting a brewing darkness in Neverland for the last century. At long last, the faeries had learned the center of the darkness was in an uncharted territory known only as the Cove. In all of the faeries’ considerably long memory, they could not recount a single time that anyone had been to or come from there. It was as if some magical remnant protected the Cove, bewitching it so it was not often thought about.

They had sent Tress on a reconnaissance mission to see what was lurking there. His First Speaker, Balt, had begged him not to go alone but Tress had no time to waste. It was in the Cove that Tress found an army being raised. He saw the most pirates Neverland had ever seen gathered. Hundreds of ships surrounded a giant one that had a chained jester as its figurehead.


Tress continued to recount all of this into Sharpseid’s sapphire as quickly as he could. He had only a few minutes left before he was completely devoid of life.


 He remembered flying down into the forest that ran along the outside of the Cove. He had heard howling and turned to see two giant, hunched over men with hairy faces, elongated noses and razor sharp teeth that protruded randomly from their lips. They had long arms that ended in muscled forearms and claw-like hands. They weren’t full humans or even werewolves. Some kind of twisted magic had combined both into something like weremen. Tress managed to kill one by surprise, shoving Sharpseid into its back. However the second one was large enough to wrap his arms around Tress, lift him clean off his feet and run to the jester-guided ship.

As Tress was carried up the gangway, the pirates and weremen catcalled and jeered. They chanted, “Pan! Pan! Pan!” over and over. Tress noticed written in gold swooping lettering the words “Jolly Roger” on the hull of the massive ship.

He was thrown through a set of handsome double doors into the captain’s quarters. The room was spacious and well furnished. It was clear this captain knew how to operate. Standing at the table was the captain who would murder Tress. Standing next to him was very peculiar man.

This second man had a bandanna tied across his head on an angle to cover his right eye. He had a beard that was thick but delicately trimmed and featured almost every natural hair color possible. But the real odd feature was his gold colored eye. He never blinked; he just stood behind the captain, slightly hunched, with long hairy arms and clawed hands like the other weremen. But this man was nowhere near as savage looking as the other weremen, but looks can be deceiving.

As Tress approached the table he noticed it had a topographical model of Neverland and its surrounding islands. Carved elegantly into frame was the label - “Neverland, or the Far Off World.” The horseshoe shaped mainland was present with its mountains and forests in tact. It had three island chains: one on the Northwest arc called the Counters because they were long, flat and frozen. Around the Southwest bend were the tropical Bhedras where his people lived. On the other bend was the desert island chain known as the Arcen Islands, home to the pale stonesmiths. The model of Neverland seemed to be alive with the miniature ocean hitting the coasts and trees swaying in the nonexistent wind.

Tress was occupied with this magical map for a moment but the voice of the captain snapped him from his reverie. He addressed the first mate behind him.

“Smee, please make our guest comfortable,” he had said.

The man named Smee punched Tress in the stomach and forced him into a chair. The captain walked around to meet him and bent down to come face to face.

“So here sits another pesky Pan. I’ve had pleasure of meeting a few of your predecessors. Tell me, Pan, what makes you any different from the rest?”

As Tress opened his mouth to answer, the captain drew his rapier with lightning speed. In the next instant it was plunged deep into Tress’ chest. For a quick second, Tress actually felt no pain.


But then the blade was pulled out slowly, and the pain flared, causing his chest to feel as if he was lit on fire. These crawling moments allowed Tress to finish the spell, sealing the memory of his last hour into Sharpseid’s sapphire. Just as Tress’ concentration finally broke, the captain spoke again.

“I’ll tell you the answer to my question, Pan. The answer is ‘nothing.’ You Pans will learn you can never cross Captain James Killian and make it out alive.”

All Tress could do was hope someone, somewhere would find his blade and get the memory trapped within it. Tress knew that’s why the sapphire was embedded into the blade, for emergencies like this. He had hoped he would never have to use it. It was a sickening, yet satisfying thought to know that as the blood, life, and magic drained out of Tress’ body, he would live on somehow in the sword. He just prayed the next Pan would have better luck.

Tress looked up at Killian and was able to utter one last taunt. His words were the last line of an old legend-turned-tavern song that Pans of old would sing. “…and then the first Pan found the old man’s plan and had him killed by hook or by crook by a Lost Boy’s hand. Yo ho, yo ho.”

The light faded from Tress’ eyes.

“Yes, well, Pan, one who knows nothing, can understand nothing.” Killian said out loud.

Captain James Killian kicked over his body to check the chest wound. Just like the previous Pans that he had murdered, in the sword wound grew plants, roots and flowers. And instead of dark red blood, the blood had a blue sheen to it, just like the midnight sky. This color seemed to remind James of something and he panicked internally. “Smee, toss his body to the weremen, like the others.”

And as for Sharpseid, it was nowhere to be found. James had searched high and low but could not find it anywhere on the Jolly Roger.


Chapter Two: No Rest


September 9th, 2001

London, England


“Alright, Peter, we’re going to head out now,” said the father. He was a slick businessman, but a sad smile adorned his face.

“But, Dad, why not just stay here? I thought we were going on vacation,” said his seven-year-old boy. He had big blue eyes and ruffled brown-blonde hair. In fact it seemed his hair could never decide what color it wanted to be.

“No rest for the weary, son,” the father answered. “Your mother and I need to spend some time in New York and then California for business. We’ll be back at the end of the week and then we’ll spend the rest of time exploring fun things in the city with your aunt. I promise it will go by quick. Promise me you’ll listen to Aunt Jane?”

“I promise. Just promise you’ll come back,” said Peter.

“We promise,” said his mother. She was a beautiful woman; she had the same indecisive hair color her son had, except dark green eyes.

With that, Aunt Jane and Peter watched as Mr. and Mrs. Ward left their London walk up.


Seven-year-old Peter Ward would never see his parents again. Caught in the middle of a terror attack against the United States of America, Peter’s parents were inside of a plane that flew into the World Trade Center in New York City. They were on their flight that was bound for California.

The aftermath, while tragic and terrible for most of the Northeast United States, one small British boy and his aunt mourned the loss of their family. A couple of weeks after the attacks, they were called on to fly to New York City to identify the bodies. Peter was not able to get on the plane. Indeed, Peter promised to himself that he’d never get on a plane or fly ever again. His Aunt Jane promised that he would never have to.


Present Day

Sutton, South London, England


Years went by and young Peter Ward had grown up since then. Though without his parents, Peter had become something of a wayward youth. Moving out of the city of London to one of the close suburbs, Peter longed to be back in the city. Among so many other people, Peter felt anonymity. That mask allowed him to feel free opposed to home where there was so much guilt, unsaid words, and sadness. 

That was what was strange about Peter as well. He wasn’t a very sad person. In fact, he was well liked with that rough around the edges attitude and silver tongue. Peter was very socially engaged and most people, especially the girls, in his college preparatory school wanted to be in his company.

At this point in Peter’s life, not many people knew about his tragic past and he liked it that way. It freed him of the responsibility that his Aunt placed upon him to live up to his parents’ fullest expectation. Not that Peter disregarded his schoolwork�"he had fine grades by any means�"but Peter had not decided on a college and now graduation was upon him. His friends Reggie Young and John Darling had already decided on their colleges. Peter felt that he would be alone come the fall, but so be it.

But as for right now, Peter had gotten himself suspended right before graduation for making fun of a teacher. He would normally not care about this trivial situation but in his locker he left the one thing he had left from his father�"a gold pocket watch. It was a very plain piece and scuffed beyond measure, but Peter still felt a lingering attachment to it. He needed to get back into school to get it back, but he was suspended for the final week and after graduation his locker would be emptied by the cleaning crew. He would have to enlist his friends to help him break in at night at get it back. 

Peter assumed this wouldn’t be too difficult since they’ve broken in a couple of times before for various reasons. Peter just needed to talk to them.

He sent them a text calling to meet at their spot in one of the local parks. He waited there after school for them.

“Hey, Peter. How’s suspension treating you?” Reggie asked as they approached. Reggie was the same age as Peter with cropped black hair and rectangle glasses. He was the resident technician of the group.

“Like a lovely lady, I bet.” John Darling answered for him. Peter’s best friend was a head taller than Peter with shoulder length auburn hair and green eyes. Well built and a sought after guitarist, John was very popular and he was usually the reasonable one of the group.

Trailing behind them was Michael Darling. He was John’s younger brother by three years, but he tagged along everywhere. He had dirty blonde hair and gray eyes. It was his first year in their school and Peter could never shake him off. He usually used him as a diversion since he looked so small and innocent.

“John, did Michael have to follow you?” Peter asked.

He gave him a reproachful look but Peter shrugged it off. 

Sensing the awkwardness, Reggie continued. “Right then. Well you told us to meet up, what’s going on?” 

“As you are all aware, I can’t get into school but I need to get stuff from my locker.” Peter said.

“Why not just let one of us do it for you? Just tell us the combination.” John said dryly.

“Sorry, John, but I prefer if you guys didn’t see what I was grabbing.” Peter said firmly.

“Is it really that important?” Reggie asked exasperated.

“Yes.” Peter said.

“Are you sure?”

“Yep.”

Peter wasn’t budging on his position. This was his usual tactic and he knew his friends would comply; they were always up for adventure.

Something from Peter’s memory stirred. Something he heard once. He thought with a little modification, his father’s saying applied.

“Come on, boys, no rest for the wicked.” Peter smiled.

They agreed to help him sneak into school overnight to get into his locker, as Peter knew they would.


Chapter Three: Politics of Faeries


Present Day

The Nevertree

Neverland


The Nevertree, the largest tree in any land was the magical capital to the faeries and inside was a room that was their governing hall. Meanwhile, Treefort City buzzed above their heads in the canopy. Only one normal sized teenager could fit inside the alcove, which was usually reserved for Pan.

Inside of the council alcove, the faerie councilors were holding a meeting. The faeries were the oldest race still residing in Neverland, entrusted by the Sylwraiths to guard and preside over the hidden continent. They provided the land with most of its magic and knew almost all of its secrets. This is why they were granted a council and leadership of the ‘newer’ Neverland factions of the Counters and Arcen. The Natives had emigrated to Neverland shortly after the Creation by themselves and had their own natural magic that allowed existing in tandem with �"but outside of�" the faerie’s rule, much to their chagrin. 

But on this day was a particularly interesting meeting because a certain pixie ambassador had forced her way into the closed session.

“Tress has been dead for twenty years. Don’t you think it’s time, Arrogen?” the pixie said. Pixies normally didn’t stand more than a foot tall, but even by their standards this pixie was short. She had short-cropped blonde hair and ice blue eyes. Like other pixies, her wings were translucent but unlike others, hers reflected different colors like light on water. Across her people and across most of Neverland at large, she was regarded as very beautiful.

“Tinker Bell, might I remind you your place. You are an ambassador for the non-magic races of Neverland. You have no right to speak on any other matter other than those involving your constituents.” Arrogen said. Although creatures in Neverland could choose whether to age or not, some faeries aged regardless, albeit very slowly. Arrogen was quite old nearing four hundred years. He had a scruffy white beard and green eyes. His wings dipped a little bit and his belly was larger than the other men on the council. His body might have shown age but his mind was as sharp as ever. Though at least that’s what he argued.

Tinker Bell stamped her foot and it made her wings flutter, some gold pixie dust sprinkling out. She stared around at the faerie council. The circular room that was hewn into the Nevertree was full of faces staring back at her�"all male faerie faces.

Pixies were not allowed a seat on the council; they could only serve as ambassadors. Tradition held that male faeries did not interact with any non-magic being, save for Pan, though this was an outdated practice. Remembering the irrational prejudices that her people were founded upon, Tinker Bell stormed out, spreading more gold dust as she went.

She flew back to the Upper Branches of Treefort City, but instead of flying to her alcove, she flew through the canopy to her friend Serban’s branch.

Serban was a lazy faerie with pure, opaque white wings that contrasted with his fire red hair. He also had blazing red eyes that stood out against his brown skin. Tinker Bell wasn’t surprised that even though it was well past midday, his alcove was entirely dark.

She lit his leaflyts with a wave of her hand.

“Serban, up! Now!” she yelled, flapping dust onto his face. Serban sneezed and sat up.

“Oh, hey Tink. Noon already?” he asked as he yawned.

“Past. Serban, they didn’t listen to me.” Tinker Bell said anxiously.

“Who didn’t? Did you have another fight with Raiza and Belont? You lost that bet fair and square.” Serban shrugged.

“Shut up, Serban. No, Arrogen and the council. They still don’t think the Dark Cove is a threat. I think it’s time we try to find Tress’ sword.” Tinker Bell said seriously.

“Oh not that stuff again.” Serban said becoming clearly agitated. “Be serious. Sure, the Cove is a creepy place, but nothing bad has happened. Stop proclaiming End of Days and just relax. Like me.” Serban started to stretch and get ready to lie back down.

“But we need a Pan.” Tinker Bell persisted.

“No. When Pan is needed, he’ll show up. Like always.”

“Why does everyone always refer to Pan as a boy.” she asked offhandedly.

Serban dropped his head and shook it. “Always the feminist, Tink. It’s because every Pan has been a boy.”

Tinker Bell, mistaking his exasperation for weakness, continued, “So you think Tress will just show up after twenty years? Like he was napping in the forest and lost track of time?”

“Well, why not? Napping is fun. You should try it sometime.” Serban said as he lay back on his bed getting comfortable to fall asleep. Tinker Bell grabbed his feet and pulled him out of the bed and he crashed to the floor. Serban huffed angrily and righted himself.

“You once told me that a sword hilt hewn of Neverbark would return to the roots of its mother tree, to await its next wielder.” Tinker Bell said.

“Yea…so…?” Serban asked.

“Don’t you remember? Tress didn’t accept one of our blades. Sharpseid was Rohan’s sword and therefore it’s sure to be made of Neverbark.” Tinker Bell said excitedly.

“Really?” Serban asked entirely confused.

All Pans, or well, most Pans, had a special one-of-a-kind weapon forged for them as an inaugural gift from the faeries. Each weapon had their own personalities and powers but they all served as a symbol; all of Neverland recognized Pan as a vassal of the faerie court and his word was word of the faeries. In exchange for his loyalty, Pan received his magical abilities and an indestructible weapon.

Tress’ weapon was not faerie made but that was not common knowledge. Tinker Bell had come across it because of her position as an ambassador. Having a Pan choose a different weapon was something of an embarrassment so she was forced to keep it quiet, until now. Finding the weapon would help prove he was truly gone.

“His father died right before he became Pan. He chose the Neverbark sword over the fynesteel one we would have made for him. The council was desperate for a Pan, you remember the horrible cannibal epidemic? They weren’t happy but they let him use it. And they didn’t complain when he used it exorcise the cannibals from Neverland.” Tinker Bell said quickly, knowing she was gaining ground.

“How do you propose, even if you’re right, that we find it? We’d need to know where the mother tree was located.” Serban skeptically but then realization started to dawn on his face. “No. You’re insane. We’ll have our wings clipped.”

Tinker Bell nodded solemnly. “But we have to see her. She can lead us to the mother tree. Tress was her brother after all.”

“But she’s imprisoned for leading a coup. She’s dangerous and banished. Her voice is no longer welcome in Neverland.” Serban said.

“Oh Serban, you know she’s a sweet heart. She was just reacting to the death of her brother.” Tinker Bell said forcefully.

“Alleged death.” Serban said. “It’s more likely he deserted us to join the pirates.”

“Don’t say that in front of her, or it’s your assassination she’ll plan next.” Tinker Bell said. “We can sneak into Spinner and break her out and have her lead us into the Bhedras.”

“You literally are insane.” Serban said.

“I need you to do it. Please, if I’m wrong, I’ll let you run and I’ll take the fall. But I’m not wrong. Please, Serban, please.” Tinker Bell begged, letting her eyes do a lot of the work.

“Fine. But it’s your funeral.”

“Waiting on this isn’t a good idea.” Tinker Bell said.

“Rotting in a cell isn’t a good idea either.” Serban scoffed.

“We won’t rot in a cell. I promise.” Tinker Bell said.

“My plan exactly. One of life’s little lessons, Tink, is to live it. Got it memorized?” Serban said.


Chapter Four: Standing Still


It took one more week of planning in order for Peter to create the perfect scenario to get into his school. It wasn’t so difficult it just depended on good timing.

Two nights before the plan, Peter was sitting at home in his Aunt’s house. She fell asleep at 10PM, like normal. He was in his room on the second floor. His mind was racing. Adventures or small schemes like this always got his blood pumping.

I wonder if I subconsciously left Dad’s watch there on purpose, just to have this chance, Peter thought to himself.

This led Peter to think of his parents, something he usually avoided. He achieved his required grades. In fact he shattered expectations. But he hadn’t chosen a university and the trust fund set up for him only was effective if he was in college. Up until right now, Peter never thought he had disappointed his parents. Actually, Peter only achieved so much in high school out of spite because he believed they should have been around to see him. He knew though, as he got older, he was just being selfish but on some nights he liked to indulge that just a little bit.

Peter crossed his room to his full body mirror and looked in. He had messy brown hair, or dirty blonde, whichever and bright blue eyes. He had clear, pale skin and athletically built, albeit a little short for his age. He noticed the light beaming in through the window from the lamppost. His shadow grew long behind him.

“At least one of us is tall,” he joked at his shadow but more to himself.

As though it heard him, his shadow nodded vigorously.

Peter stood very still. But his shadow simply put his hands on his hips. Peter quickly looked out the window. There was nothing there but the starry night sky and the lamppost. He looked back to his shadow.

His shadow waved a finger at him as if to say Nope, no one there. Just me.

Peter raised his hand toward the shadow. An inch from it, he heard a ping on his window. His shadow pointed at the window and then shrank and became normal again.

Peter, shaking, went to his window and noticed John and Michael outside. This was particularly odd because Wendy, their older sister, would never have let them out this late. She was very protective of them and usually got in Peter’s way but he still found her fascinating.

Gorgeous yet infuriating, Peter thought about Wendy as he went outside to meet his friends.

“Hey, how did you escape Wendy?” Peter asked.

“She has her heart in the right place. Plus aren’t you the one obsessed with her?” Michael said, shrewdly.

Peter shook Michael off with a look and a wave of his hand.

“What’s up John?” Peter asked.

“Michael let slip to her our little plan.” John said heavily.

Peter’s heart sank. This is it, isn’t it?

“Fine. You guys don’t have to do it.” Peter said nonchalantly.

John made a face. “That easily, huh?”

“Whatever do you mean John?” Peter asked in a high voice.

“Seriously, I hate when you do that. Mikey didn’t let it slip on purpose. But she called the school and the police. It’s over, there’s no way we’re getting in any time before they clean out your stuff. Unless you know, tell us the bloody combination.” John said taking a step towards Peter.

“Sure, John. You’re right. It’s over. You know what’s good about working alone. You can’t rat yourself out.” Peter said, his temper rising.

“Think whatever you want, Peter. But if I were you, I wouldn’t go anywhere near the school. Security will be watching for you.” John said.

“So what, John? That’s it? We just give up and graduate and you guys go on to college and we just end like that?” Peter asked, furious.

John stared for a moment. Then he spoke. “So this is about more than a locker? Peter, you can’t expect all of us to be empty with you. Life is out there. It needs to be lived. Stop standing still.”

They glared for a moment and then Peter turned and walked away. Peter, instead of going inside, walked towards a small park area that was usually closed at night. He jumped the gate anyway.

Peter sat for a few hours. He thought of John and Michael sitting at home with their sister, something he longed to have. Sure their parents weren’t great but at least they were alive. They only ever saw Peter as a problem that needed to be solved.

There’s nothing for me here anymore, Peter thought sullenly.

Just then, Peter’s shadow came to life again. It was doing loop-de-loops over the cedar chips on the ground. Peter thought his depression and stress must have been making him go a little nuts. “Just a trick of the light,” he said to no one in particular.


Chapter Five: Spinner


On the western side of Neverland was a place called Spinner. It was not a real city, but instead a walled city of the damned. The only prison Neverland had was held here. It was ideal because Spinner sat at the bottom of a large canyon and anyone trying to escape would be seen trying to climb out. The only quick way out was to fly but that would never happen. In the event of a flying prisoner such as a faerie, they would have their wings clipped and gold dust harvested.

Tinker Bell and Serban, now clothed in black spider silk, walked towards the edge of the canyon. Unlike in Treefort City, where everything was scaled for faeries, this city was built for mortals. It was especially large to the two faeries.

“Well, we’re here,” Tinker Bell said excitedly.

“What a horrible smell. Not a single plant in the canyon. Just rocks and smelly people,” Serban complained.

“She should be fourth window, second floor, eastern side.” Tinker Bell said, ignoring Serban’s displeasure.

“Alright, but for the record, I tried to stop you,” Serban said.

Tinker Bell smirked at him. “Like that would ever happen.”

“Shut up and let’s go.”


They flew in a wide arc around the prison fortress, outside the light of the search lanterns. They located the window Tinker Bell mentioned and flew up to the bars. Inside was a pretty girl with caramel skin, ebony hair but uncommon blue eyes to match her brother’s. She was worse for wear but her face lit up at the sight of the two faeries.

“Oh, Tink! It’s wonderful to see you.” Tiger Lily said as she clamored to the barred window.

Tinker Bell put her hand on Tiger Lily’s finger. “It’s good to see you too. This is Serban, he is a friend of mine.”

“Pleasure to meet you, Princess Serani Kanwal Ka Phool,” Serban said formally acknowledging the exiled Princess of the Natives.

“Ah, you honor me with an old title. I’m afraid I am no longer royalty,” Tiger Lily’s eyes then narrowed. “Don’t use that name, I prefer ‘Tiger Lily,‘ but acquaintance well met, Serban.” Tiger Lily said, lightening up.

“Lily, explain to Serban about Sharpseid.” Tinker Bell said.

Tiger Lily looked confused for a moment but proceeded on. “Sharpseid was a special sword. It was hewn of neverbark, so naturally it had the ability to return to the roots of its mother tree. But there was another power,” Tiger Lily explained.

Tinker Bell and Serban looked confused for a moment. To their looks, Tiger Lily said, “You didn’t know that the sapphires on its hilt were Bhedran gemstones?”

Tinker Bell smacked her forehead. “Of course! Right! It makes sense to find Sharpseid now more than ever.”

“Whoa, wait a second, I think you guys skipped a step…” Serban said.

“Do you know about gemstones cut by the Bhedran Natives?” Tiger Lily asked.

“Nope, just that they’re stupid expensive and faeries use them as betrothal rings,” Serban said shrugging.

“Gemstones from Bhedra have the ability to hold many things. They’ve been used to hold spirits, ghosts, magic, and more importantly, memories,” Tiger Lily revealed.

“Wait, wait, wait. So you’re saying that Sharpseid contains the memories of Tress?” Serban asked dumbfounded.

“If he stored memories into the sword, then yes. The gemstones will hold whatever is stored forever until it is removed,” Tiger Lily said.

“But that’s assuming Tress even used the sapphires.” Serban said blandly.

“He would have. I know it.” Tiger Lily asserted.

“I agree.” Tinker Bell said.

“So we’re busting out an exiled Bhedran princess to help us locate a sword that may or may not have the memories of a missing Pan inside it?” Serban counted on his fingers.

“Yes,” the two girls said.

“I should have stayed in bed,” Serban sighed.

“But you’re here. So buck up.” Tinker Bell said slapping him on the back.

“How will you two get me out?” Tiger Lily asked.

Tinker Bell explained the plan to both of them. She kept Serban in the dark until now so he couldn’t back out. Serban was very lazy but he did have a unique skill. Among all the faeries Tinker Bell knew, Serban was the best at illusions. Serban would conjure up an illusion any time a guard would show up to lead them astray. He simply shook his head as Tinker Bell told him the plain.

Getting out of the fortress was the harder part but they still had to get out of the canyon. Tiger Lily would not be able to climb out of the canyon fast enough before an arrow struck her in the back. And that was where Tinker Bell came in.

Faerie law dictates that no one other than Pan is granted the ability to fly. Though this law has occasionally been broken and is generally considered outdated. Before they would exit the cell, Tinker Bell would grant Tiger Lily the ability to fly. As long as Tiger Lily didn’t fly directly over Treefort city, Arrogen might never know. Or, so, she hoped.

“Okay, Lily, are you ready to learn how to fly?” Tinker Bell asked.

“Oh, I’ve been wanting to do this for a long time,” Tiger Lily said excitedly.

Tinker Bell floated over Tiger Lily’s head. “Close your eyes and try not to sneeze.” Tinker Bell fluttered her wings and gold dust fell over Tiger Lily. A faint golden aura surrounded her for a minute. After that, Tinker Bell said. “Okay, open your eyes and think happy thoughts.”

“Really? That’s it?” Tiger Lily asked.

“Yep. Easiest thing ever.” Tinker Bell said as she did a loop-de-loop.

Tiger Lily focused and thought of a memory with Tress. One from their childhood that involved playing with the other children in their village. She rose a few feet off the ground.

Chapter Six: A Princess on Fire


“Great. Can we get moving?” Serban asked agitated.

Tinker Bell hovered near the lock and kicked it as hard as she could. “Ow!” The lock had popped due to her magic, more than her kick. “Well, we’re through the looking glass now. Serban, we’ve officially broken the law.”

They crept out, not wanting to wake other prisoners who would surely want an escape themselves. To aid them, Serban covered them using his illusion magic. They weren’t entirely invisible but their bodies now reflected light so it looked as if they weren’t there. Though if someone were to focus on them or bump into them, they’d see through the ruse.

They met no problems until they reached the entrance gate, their exit. There were five guards on duty. They were playing Pirate’s Booty, a tavern dice game. The only way out was through the door behind them.

“Serban, your move.” Tinker Bell said. Serban cracked his knuckles.

“I’m totally unappreciated in my time.” He said ruefully. Serban turned to Tiger Lily, “Okay Princess, hold still.” He touched her shoulder and closed his eyes. Next to Tiger Lily appeared a perfect replica. Though this one only moved with the waves of Serban’s hands, like a puppet.

“Okay, just guide her through the halls so they’ll chase her and we can slip out.” Tinker Bell said.

“Where’s the fun in that?” Serban said. In total contrary to Tinker Bell’s direction, Serban snapped his fingers and the puppet Tiger Lily’s head caught fire.

“What are you do�"“ Tinker Bell was cut off as the puppet ran towards the guards, screaming bloody murder at the top of her lungs. Tinker Bell watched in horror as Serban and Tiger Lily giggled silently.

The guards were startled and started screaming with the puppet. But then after a quick moment of embarrassing confusion, they realized one of their high profile prisoners was loose and on fire in their main entryway. Serban led the puppet through a hallway and out of sight. They waited for the screaming to fade away and then bolted towards the door. They ran outside and dove behind an outcropping of rocks to catch their breath.

“Whew. That was great. Tink, if only you could have seen your face.” Serban laughed.

“Not funny. For someone who didn’t want to come, you sure seem like you’re having fun.” Tinker Bell said.

“Aw, Tink,” Tiger Lily said, “that was hysterical. Thanks Serban. I haven’t had a reason to laugh in five years.”

“Seriously, jail breakouts are so dramatic. I thought it was time someone had some fun with them. Might as well have been me.” Serban asserted.

After a minute of heavy breathing, Serban said to Tinker Bell, “Okay, Tink. Think you can take out the two northwest lanterns? Should give us enough darkness to fly out of here.”

“Then straight to the Bhedras?” Tiger Lily asked.

“Yep. We’re relatively close. If we fly through the night, we should land on Pomona at dawn. We’ll rest up and travel to Bhedra. I assume Sharpseid’s mother tree is not on Pomona or Dracon.” Tinker Bell said.

The Bhedras consisted of three large, main islands. They had many smaller islands comprising of one or two villages but the center and largest island was called Bhedra and housed the island nation’s capital, Falcon’s Perch. Pomona was the smallest of the large three but was closest to the mainland. Dracon was a little further out on the opposite side of Bhedra. Tinker Bell was hoping they wouldn’t have to go all the way to Dracon with an escaped convict.

“I’m not entirely sure but my family has no ancestral ties to Dracon. I can’t imagine Tideso forging weapons for our family from there. I believe she used a tree from a wood outside of Falcon’s Perch.” Tiger Lily said.

“Okay, like I said Tink, two northwest lanterns.” Serban reiterated.

Tinker Bell smiled. Shooting was something Tinker Bell excelled at. She concentrated for a moment and from her hands, made from her golden dust, a bow formed with two arrows. Notching both arrows at the same time, Tinker Bell peeked around the rocks and took aim.

“As soon as the lights are out, we shoot straight up. Once we’re high enough, head for the coast. Ready?” Tinker Bell asked. Her two companions nodded.

Tinker Bell loosed her two arrows. Even for a pixie archer, it was a crack shot. There was a moment of silence and then a glass shattering sound. Darkness covered the northwest turret of the fortress prison. The three of them flew straight up and left Spinner.

Chapter Seven: Falcon’s Perch


“I will not lie, flying over open ocean for hours is not as much fun as I thought it would be.” Tiger Lily complained as she lay on her back on the sand on the eastern coast of Pomona.

“I have to agree with you, Lily. What do you think your people will do when they see you?” Tinker Bell asked from her tiny spot hovering above the sand. Tinker Bell hated sand as she got it confused with her gold dust. It also felt weird against her pale skin. No, Tinker Bell was a forest pixie through and through.

“Well, to be honest, I probably won’t be recognized until I’m actually in Falcon’s Perch. People knew my name and who I was but I never really traveled to the other islands after Tress became Pan. I just..didn’t have to. It seems so wrong to think that now. Plus it’s been so long, even the leaders in the Head Cabin might not recognize me.” Tiger Lily said sadly.

Serban, who had been flying over the water and quickly diving in and out of it like a bird, finally started flying back. Though he wasn’t alone as he was struggling under the weight of a fish about the same size.

“Hey Princess! I got breakfast!” Serban yelled.

“Thank you Serban but this fish is called Yellow Barb. See the yellow spikes around its mouth? This fish is poisonous to mortals.” Tiger Lily said with a smile.

Serban, entirely out of breath, “Rats. Ah well. I guess it’s the old desert island fruit routine.”

After a small meal of found fruit, they proceeded to Bhedra and then to Falcon’s Perch. True to Tiger Lily’s assumption, no one recognized their princess. Not at least until the Head Cabin.

Tiger Lily insisted that they meet with Tideso, who had become bored in this time of peace. They landed near the Head Cabin, but instead of going in they went to a small group of cabins south of it. This group had blacksmithing equipment and many assistants running around. Upon entering the area, a large cry met their ears.

‘Aha! Princess, you’ve returned. We should have gone to war for you. Politics be damned,” said an older Bhedran native. Her face had many wrinkles around the mouth and eyes, evidence of smiling too much. Her ebony braid was flecked with generous amounts of gray. She was in fine shape though with arms as strong as any man’s. She strode right over to Tiger Lily and gave her a hug.

“Tideso, it is nice to see you as well. I trust things have fared well here these last five years.” Tiger Lily said breaking the embrace.

Tideso’s eyes fell. “No, not quite so. Without you, Rohan, or Tress, your family has been removed from the throne. There are Chuas in the Cabin yet again.”

The Chuas were the original ruling family of Falcon’s Perch. Over sometime different families had gained rule through various means. Tiger Lily’s family, the Tigers, had the throne since her great grandfather best a Chua in a challenge for chieftain. Under her family, the Bhedras enjoyed a time of prosperity and were well liked, although the other royal families viewed them as soft and anti-war. Rohan, though fearsome, hated war above all else. Normally, the capture of a princess would warrant war, but the other royal clans used this as a means to put a different leader in the Head Cabin.

Tiger Lily looked a little crestfallen, but she also knew the truth. “Such is the way. We always stand a little too divided as a nation. Unless it comes to ripping out another’s throat.”

“Aye, but at least we’re the best at that!” Tideso said slapping Tiger Lily on the back, causing Tiger Lily to pitch forward with a look of alarm. “What brings you here? Or in fact, how did you get here?” 

Tinker Bell and Serban came forward. Tideso narrowed her eyes at the two faeries. “Had you not been with the princess, I would have slaughtered you where you stood.” Tideso said fiercely. “Or well, floated.” Tideso said, acknowledging the faeries with a slightly less intimidating look.

“We do not entirely represent our race. Nor does our race represent our government. At least as of recently.” Tinker Bell said.

“That is true of most races, Pixie.” Tideso said.

“Tideso, this is Tinker Bell. She is the Ambassador of Mortals to the Faerie Council. And this is her friend Serban. Both of them freed me from my prison to bring me back home for something.” Tiger Lily explained.

“Ah, Ambassador, well met. Thanks be to you both for freeing the rightful heir. What is it you are exactly looking for?” Tideso asked.

A quick sideways glance from Tiger Lily told Tinker Bell to say it.

“Sharpseid. We are looking for its mother tree.” Tinker Bell said.

“I wish you had not said that. Since you were gone, Ban Chua, the current chieftain, has had me checking everyday under those roots for that weapon. He said it would be proof that the Tiger clan was no more and he would be rightful ruler. One day, a few years ago, Sharpseid did appear and I was forced to hand it over.” Tideso said sadly. Then she smirked reminiscently, “A fine weapon, if I’ve ever made one.”

“Well then if they had the blade, how come they never came to my aid? Surely my brother’s memory would have backed me up.” Tiger Lily said. At this Tideso looked confused.

“I’m sorry, Princess, but there wasn’t any memory stored in the sapphires. I checked myself.” Tideso said.

“I refuse to believe it. I need the blade.” Tiger Lily said angrily.

“Well this is just fantastic.” Serban said.

Tinker Bell started to fear that all might be for naught. But then suddenly �"

“Wait, I need to see the blade. If Tress put in a memory in there as a Pan, someone without golden faerie dust might not be able to unlock it.” Tinker Bell said. “Pans and faeries have a special bond, something forged through magic. A Pan is the magical military arm of the faeries. In the event of something like this, the faeries wouldn’t want their secrets falling into the wrong hands.” She explained.

“I never heard of such a thing.” Tiger Lily said.

“No, she’s right.” Serban said. “It’s not something faeries make known. I forgot about since it’s been a while without a Pan but it’s possible. Our magic, not the Bhedran or anyone else’s binds Pans’ memories. The sapphire would just become a vessel and the memory would sit inside it until a faerie released it.”

Tideso shook her head. “It doesn’t matter. Ban has the sword in the Head Cabin, in the meeting room hung on the wall as a symbol. Taking it would declare war on his rule.”

“We need the sword, Tideso.” Tiger Lily said. “At all costs.”

That night they sat around Tideso’s hearth and shared stories of the last five years. Tinker Bell shared stories of Tress’ days as a Pan, during which she had become a powerful ally of his. Tress had not been home very often while being Pan so his sister was fascinated by the stories. In turn, Tiger Lily and Tideso told Tinker Bell and Serban about Tress as a young prince and how much of a troublemaker he was.

“It is a trait that binds most Pans past and future.” Serban said.

“Oh ho, so are you insinuating that you should be a Pan?” Tiger Lily asked.

“Never. Even if faeries were to become Pans, I wouldn’t want to be Arrogen’s pet for life.” Serban said with disdain.

“So about getting Sharpseid.” Tinker Bell reminded them.

“Honestly, you three, I don’t see a way to retrieve the sword without starting a civil war.” Tideso said plainly.

“Don’t mess with faeries, Tideso. A couple of marionettes and we’re fine.” Serban said shrugging. 

“I’m sorry Serban but your illusions will not work on the clans. We can sense the soul of a person and can see right through your puppets. It might startle them but they will know the real threat is elsewhere.” Tiger Lily said.

Serban looked slightly crestfallen.

Tinker Bell ruffled his hair like he does hers “Aw, Serb, you didn’t even want to come.”

“Well, now I’m having fun..” Serban grumbled.

“If we wait for night, Serban can use his reflective magic and we can sneak in.” Tinker Bell suggested.

“I concur that stealth is the best possible way.” Tideso said.

They spent the rest of the night sleeping after agreeing to formulate a plan during the day. The main challenge was to keep the three of them hidden throughout the day. They settled on an attic in Tideso’s personal cabin. Through out the day, after Tideso confirmed the location of Sharpseid, Tinker Bell, Serban and Tiger Lily agreed on a plan of action.

Before they left Tideso’s attic, Serban covered them in reflective magic. They would snuck to the Head Cabin, then inside to the War Room that housed not just Sharpseid, but various weapons of beaten clans of a past now long forgotten. Most weapons were beautifully crafted making them not just tools of battle but pieces of art.

As they approached the center mantle, Tinker Bell whispered, “There, I recognize it.” Pointing to the center sword that was indeed the weapon of the fallen Tress, Sharpseid, in all its sad glory.

“Wait, something isn’t right.” Tiger Lily said. She hastily turned around as a group of dark figures entered the room. The lead figure waved his hand and torches lit themselves along the walls. Momentarily blinding the three thieves.

“Well, Serani, it’s been a while. I’m sure you recognize me,” said a tall, lithe clan warrior.

“Aiden Toft? Is that you?” Tiger Lily asked looking relieved.

“Ah, well not quite. You see, I became the adopted son of Archer Chua.” Aiden Toft said with a serious face.

“Wait, so you’re Ban Chua?” Tiger Lily asked horrified.

Aiden Toft shrugged unapologetically. “I am chieftain now. There have been pressing times since you’ve left us, Serani. Darkness grows within Neverland and the faeries simply ignore it.”

“Aiden, I have two faeries with me. They want to help, to make the Council see reason.” Tiger Lily pleaded. “And how many times have I told you to call me Lily?”

Ban Chua shook his head. “Do you believe that your ‘reason’ lies in Sharpseid?”

“Yes, it could contain memories from Tress, only visible to a faerie or a Pan.” Tinker Bell said heatedly.

Ban Chua laughed heartily “You expect me to simply hand over a clan treasure, one that also signifies my right to rule?” 

“Aiden, please just let�"“ Tiger Lily started but Ban cut her off.

“No, Serani. We stand apart from the Council. Your father was always soft with them. As well, you have no voice here in these islands.” Ban Chua said advancing.

Tinker Bell started to notice the shift in the conversation. She wouldn’t wait to be at the mercy of Ban Chua. She started to summon her golden bow and made eyes at Serban. He caught her glance and nodded back toward Sharpseid. Tinker Bell then winked at Tiger Lily. 

“Well, Lily, I guess we’d better go. There’s no point, we’re outnumbered.” Tinker Bell said nonchalantly. Though her face showed surprise at Tiger Lily’s answer.

“I’m sorry Tink, but Aiden is right about one thing. I have no say here anymore. I have neglected my people.” She turned to Ban. “I will need to reclaim my voice.”

“I’m glad you see reason�"“ Ban Started before Tiger Lily cut him off.

“TINK, NOW!” she yelled.

Tinker Bell shot a golden arrow into one of the torches, causing a flare of fire to separate the two groups. While Ban and his guard were blinded, Serban quickly grabbed Sharpseid, sagging under the weight of it. Tinker Bell flew over to him to help. 

“Lily, we’re leaving. Let’s go.” Tink said as the flare was fading.

“No, Tink, I meant what I said. I’ll run back to Tideso’s. Try and reclaim some of my family’s honor. Until we meet again.” Tiger Lily said as she dove catlike out of a window. 

“Damn. Alright Serban, out the window, move, move, move!” Tinker Bell yelled.

It was a quiet flight out of Falcon’s Perch. Serban was visibly upset with the turn the mission had taken. Both of them didn’t acknowledge the fact that they might never see Tiger Lily alive again, but they had attained their goal of reclaiming Sharpseid. They just weren’t yet sure if the cost outweighed the gain.


Chapter Seven: A Watch and Red Hair

Peter was roaming alone in his new favorite place, Quarterpast Park. He had decided to walk through it the night he last saw John and Michael and now he had taken to hanging out here. 

The damp wood chips were crushed under the weight of his black sneakers. The sky was cloudy and even though it had just rained, the heavens above looked, if possible even angrier. 

I wonder if my mood reflects the weather...or vice versa. Peter thought.

Peter thoroughly enjoyed kinetic weather. Sunny and windy or stormy and heavy downpour, he loved them both. It was the steel grey, overcast weather that made him absolutely miserable. He was basically just waiting for this new storm to start so he could at least enjoy the weather.

The loss of his father’s watch weighed heavily on him and more so then he initially though it would. Sure, it was horrible to lose the only real heirloom he inherited but he thought there would also be a sense of freedom. Nothing left from his parents’ existence remained...well besides his trust fund. But it was not like he was getting access to that any time soon.

One of the open swings was virtually still in the calm that precedes a storm. It was miraculously dry so Peter sat in it, kicking at dirt. And then Peter heard footsteps approaching. He didn’t even bother to look up, so engrossed in his own misery. The shoes stopped in front of him. He saw girl canvas sneakers and black tights. Peter heard a jingle and the voice of an angel.

“Is this what you were trying to get my brothers arrested for?” the girl asked.

She was so beyond beautiful to Peter. She had shoulder length red-auburn hair. Her green eyes were bright and big. Even when she wasn’t smiling her dimples were just noticeable. She had a light coating of freckles over her nose and under he eyes that were only visible close up. She never wore a lot of make up, her whole look was very plain, honest beauty. Peter’s stomach usually had issues when she was around.

In her hands Peter noticed his father’s frayed and golden pocket watch. She reached out to hand it to him. Peter’s hand hovered over her’s for a second and then he picked it up and tossed it over in his hands.

Without looking at her he asked, “How did you get this?”

“Well, instead of plotting to break into a school you’re suspended from and risk not graduating, you could have just calmly called them and asked for it.” Wendy said with a sigh. Peter just nodded but didn’t answer. Wendy, figuring the conversation was done, turned and started to leave.

“It was my dad’s,” Peter said quietly.

Wendy stopped, though part of her wanted to just keep walking. She always avoided getting entangled with Peter Ward and his rough edges behavior, but there was just something about him that made people listen to him. She hoped that he never realized he had this particular talent.

“You live with your aunt and John said your parents passed away,” Wendy said, walking back and sitting in the swing next to him. “What happened?”

Peter looked up at her for a moment. His face was not sad yet it was not happy either. Just cold and distant. 

“Well you know the September 11th attacks right?” Peter asked.

Wendy nodded. She started to feel upset for Peter and she put her hand on his back.

“I’m sorry, Peter. You don’t have to say anymore.” Wendy said.

“Thanks,” Peter nodded. “I usually don’t have to,” he added with a slight chuckle.

After a little while of sitting in silence, they both got up and walked towards the park entrance. Right before they parted ways Peter turned to Wendy. He stuck out his hand and offered her the pocket watch.

“Why would you give this to me?” Wendy asked.

“Just something John said. I...I don’t need it anymore. I’m okay. Thanks for everything.” Peter said as he turned the watch over to Wendy.

He started to walk away when Wendy pulled him back and kissed him on the cheek. Peter stood frozen on the spot as Wendy turned and left without so much as a look back.

Chapter Eight: Twenty Years Too Late

Back in the Nevertree, Tinker Bell and Serban presented to Arrogen the Bhedran sword wielded by Tress, Sharpseid. They were hoping to be able to unlock any hidden memory inside of the sapphires on its hilt.

“You dare bring that vile weapon into this Council, Tinker Bell? Serban, I would have thought you’d just stay asleep. She has bewitched you, hasn’t she?” Arrogen said.

“Arrogen, seriously, we went through hell to find this sword, the least you could do is hear us out. If we’re wrong, we’re wrong.” Serban said, giving Tinker Bell a reassuring smile.

Then a new voice spoke up. It was Dole, a middle aged faerie who has a reputation for fairness. “Now, I’m sure the tale is quite fascinating and not to mention illegal, the important matter is you have procured this sword which we believed lost. Let us see if there is any merit to your words.”

He motioned for the sword to be placed in the center of the floor. Small the council room was, the sword looked a small tree to a human, perfectly balanced on its hilt, pointing straight up.

“Forsa! Please, if you would. Check the sapphires for any memories from Tress.” Dole said, pointing to a younger faerie. “Forsa, is a prodigy when it comes to faerie magic. If anyone can unlock it or at least ascertain there is indeed a trapped memory, it is him.” Dole explained to Tinker Bell and Serban.

“Dole, you do not control this council, or its members.” Arrogen said through his teeth.

“Arrogen, all you have done is argue with Tinker Bell for nigh on a decade. Might as well hear her out this once. If she’s wrong, let us throw her in Spinner and be done with it. I’m sick of the two of you, as is most of this council. Forsa, proceed.” Dole said impatiently. Tinker Bell felt kind of like she was kissed on the cheek but then immediately slapped.

Forsa hovered near the sapphire and spread his arms. He turned his ear and put it right up to the sapphire. After a minute, he said “There is most definitely something inside. I can hear it wriggling to get free.” After that, he put both of his hands on the gemstone. Forsa coursed his magic through his fingertips and into the gem.

“It’s here. There is something inside that is coming out now.” Forsa said through a grimace. All of a sudden light shined from his eyes and his mouth as he cocked his head backwards.

In the reflection of the light were images plowing along like a movie. This was the manifestation of the memory being replayed through Forsa.

The image was flying through a forest, landing and fighting things that resembled the Weremen of old legend. Then there were docks in a cove, a pirate ship, a flash of a sword and then a menacing face right covering the entire field of vision. Then darkness.

Immediately following, the council went into uproar. Tinker Bell and Serban simply looked at each other, stunned. They were right. But now, everything changed.

“Silence!” Arrogen yelled after about thirty seconds. The room fell silent. “Tinker Bell, you have brought us grave news. We must rectify some things. You may fly to Spinner and free Tiger Lily, but bring her straight here.”

“See, funny thing, we had to free her to find the sword and then she kind of stayed in the Bhedras. There is much unrest there, especially since we took the sword from Ban Chua.” Tinker Bell said as if this was a totally normal occurrence.

“I see. Well for the time being we will overlook your actions. You two have gone through great lengths to bring us this sword. Tinker Bell, I am sorry.” Arrogen said looking down.

“Well, does this mean we choose a Pan now?” Dole asked. Dole was not on the council for the election of Tress and was probably eager to choose the next one.

“I’m afraid so. However, most of the Lost Boys have already been passed over. There’s been a slow influx of them as well. Tensions have been high with the Bhedrans so that would be a tough sell. Arcen Islands would rather not be involved after the disappearance of Boone all those years ago.” Arrogen said counting off the options from which to cultivate a candidate for Pan.

“Why don’t I go find one? You know, from the Aging Land.” Tinker Bell suggested. “I am an ambassador after all. Plus I’m sure most other faeries would want to avoid that world.”

“What makes you think a boy from that world, with no knowledge of our land, could possibly be the one to protect it?” Dole asked.

“Well the Lost Boys protect it too, and they’re almost entirely comprised of children and teenagers from the mortal world.” Serban pointed out dryly. 

“He’s right. I would not suggest that Tinker Bell’s find should be our only candidate, but rather we should consider all options. Soon enough, we may be looking at a war.” Arrogen said heavily. “Tinker Bell, leave as soon as you can. You know the drill. The only quality that is needed �" strong, unbreakable imagination.” 

Tinker Bell nodded and bowed out of the council. She said goodbye to Serban and took flight, aiming for the stars that would guide her to the mortal world.


Chapter Nine: Happy Thoughts


Peter had spent a few weeks mostly in his room. He only left to attend graduation and completely ignored the Darling children, even though Wendy had looked especially beautiful. 

He spent most of his time in total darkness to avoid seeing his shadow run rampant. If this kept on, Peter would need to see a therapist. Every so often he’d light a lamp to see if his shadow had returned to normal. Each time it would wave at him enthusiastically. 

Oh well. Peter thought.

Just then a light beamed brightly out of his window. After ten seconds it didn’t go away, prompting Peter to become irritated and get up to see what it was. He threw back his curtains and was face to face with a tiny flying girl. She smiled at him and knocked on the window. Peter’s jaw dropped. “I’m really going to need a doctor.” He said aloud.

“No you don’t. You just need to let me in!” The little girl yelled.

Stunned, Peter fumbled with the latches and opened the window. She flew in, leaving a faint trail of what looked like gold dust behind her. She immediately flew towards the bedpost and sat on it with crossed legs, her foot bouncing.

“You look shocked.” The girl said.

“You’re tiny. And you have wings.” Peter managed to say.

“That’s all?” She asked, fishing.

“What?” Peter asked confused.

“Nothing, never mind. But I am shocked that a boy whose shadow runs wild, is surprised to see a pixie.” Tinker Bell said examining her nails.

“How do you know?” Peter asked.

Tinker Bell just gave him a look.

“My name is Tinker Bell. I am a pixie from Neverland. You are?” She asked.

“A Tinkawho from what now?” Peter said, utterly lost.

“All looks, no brains. What a shame.” Tinker Bell sighed.

“Hey, I have brilliant grades in school. I graduated third.” Peter said defiantly. His mind recovered slightly from being insulted.

“Well, your accolades mean nothing to me. I’m not from this world, genius.” Tinker Bell said dully.

“Right, Neverland, you said?” Peter asked.

“Name, please. I asked first.” Tinker Bell said waving her finger.

“Peter. Peter Ward.” Peter said quickly. “Neverland?”

“Hello, Peter. And yes, Neverland. It’s a special, special place that exists alongside this one, although just outside of reach.” Tinker Bell explained.

“Well then how’d you get here?” Peter asked.

“I flew. Naturally.” She said dryly, flapping her wings.

“Oh, right. So why is it you stopped at my window?” Peter asked, sitting on his bed staring in awe at the pixie.

“Why, it was your imagination. Only someone with a strong imagination could make his or her shadow come alive.” Tinker Bell said matter-of-factly. 

“O…..kay. So I have an active imagination. What do you want from me?” Peter asked.

“Well you’re a little older than we normally deal with, but I’d like to offer you a job.” Tinker Bell said.

“A job. In Neverland? I think that’s a bit outside of my commute zone.” Peter said skeptically.

“You’d fly, of course. But this job is more of a ‘relocation necessary’.” Tinker Bell said.

“Why would I want to leave my home for some crazy world that I know nothing about? Plus, I can’t fly. Nor would I, I hate it.” Peter said.

“Well, that’ll change. You just haven’t flown yet,” waving her hand. “And tell me, Peter, what were you feeling when you gave your shadow a brain?” Tinker Bell asked leaning in.

Peter knew where she was going. Yet, he didn’t mind being dragged there. “Alone.” Peter said simply.

“If there’s not much for you here, why not come to a world where you’re sorely needed?” Tinker Bell said strongly.

“Sorely needed?” 

“It will all be explained in time.” Tinker Bell said stretching. “But I can’t bring you to Neverland. You’ll have to find it on your own.”

“And how will I do that?” Peter asked incredulously.

“You’ll know when. But for now, I have a present for you. Think of it as an advance payment, yes?” Tinker Bell said. She flew over his head and fluttered her beautiful wings. Gold dust fell out and onto Peter. A golden aura overtook him, yet he didn’t sneeze. 

Good thing. Tinker Bell thought to herself. 

“What is this stuff?” Peter asked.

“Faerie dust…or well in this case pixie dust.” Tinker Bell said.

“What does it do?”

“It will let you fly.” Tinker Bell said with a sly smile.

“How?”

“Just think happy thoughts.”

“Happy as in....” Peter lead on.

“What.....” Tinker Bell was confused for a moment. And then it hit her. “No! No! Not like that. Happy thoughts as in cheerful memories from your childhood...or something.”

With that, Tinker Bell flew out of his window and straight up into the sky and over a tall building. He watched until he could no longer see her, all the while wondering if he had entirely lost his mind.


Chapter Ten: Finding a Lost Voice


Tiger Lily walked around the little attic loft of Tideso’s cabin. It’s been three weeks since she found out her old friend, Aiden Toft had been adopted into the Chua clan, the clan that rivals hers. And now he had become known as Ban Chua, taking the place of chief and sowing the seeds of dishonor onto her family’s legacy.

If there had been any feelings between them in the past, they were gone now. She wanted to break every bone in his body. Tear him limb from ---

“Lily, I have returned. I did indeed find her where you told me I would, on Dracon.” Tideso said poking her head in, interrupting Tiger Lily’s thoughts.

“Ah, okay. Bring her in please.” Tiger Lily said shaking off the violent outburst in her head.

Tinker Bell floated through the room. Her eyes were wide with excitement and also a little confusion. Tiger Lily knew where Tinker Bell would reenter Neverland from the other world. Especially since Tideso had said she saw the pixie flying over towards the stars, three weeks ago.

“Lily, it is was a huge relief to know you are alive. Serban and I were afraid Ban would hunt you down.” Tinker Bell said.

Tiger Lily scoffed. “That fool has to wake up earlier if he thinks any amount of guards could penetrate Tideso’s cabin compound. She’s the weapon-master.” Tiger Lily crossed and sat a roughly hewn desk and sighed heavily. “Tink, I aim to take my place as Chief of the Name for the Bhedras.”

“Okay, well how do we do that?” Tinker Bell said

Tiger Lily smiled, appreciating Tinker Bell was on board without even having to be asked. “It will take a lot. It’s not safe for me to be roaming about talking of a coup...again. I have been operating through a network of Tideso’s apprentices as agents. It’s been a tough three weeks, but Dracon has become fully aware of my presence. They have been reasonably unhappy with Ban Chua.”

“Why? Is it his face? I bet it’s his ugly face.” Tinker Bell said lightly.

Tiger Lily laughed nervously, choosing to suppress her past with Ban even further. “It turns out he’s been sending warriors to the main land to enter the Dark Cove. Out of two hundred warriors. Only one has returned. He has not been in the right state of mind since.”

Tinker Bell flew over to the desk and sat with her head leaning on hands, fingers tapping on her face. “Interesting. Where does this warrior reside? Dracon?”

“No, Pomona. That’s the only problem. While Dracon wouldn’t lift a finger if Ban Chua were to suddenly come under fire, Pomona is the Chua’s ancestral home. It’s a tougher sell there.” Tiger Lily said.

They sat in silence for a little while. Tiger Lily noticed Tinker Bell looked somewhat different. Her translucent wings fluttered and shone more. The entire time she was there, she was either tapping fingers or her feet and her eyes were bright. Well, brighter even more than normal for a pixie.

“Tinker Bell, what is so heavy on your mind?” Tiger Lily asked.

“I think I found him.” Tinker Bell said fast, as if she was letting a weight fall off her chest. “I really do, Lily. His shadow was dancing. Dancing!” At this exclamation, Tinker Bell did a loop de loop and went flew to right in front of Tiger Lily’s face.

“What the hell are you---“ Tiger Lily started. “ Wait, do you mean a Pan? In the mortal world?” Tiger Lily gasped. Tinker Bell nodded violently.

“You should have seen him, Tiger Lily. He was gorgeous. He’s just your type too. Now you can finally marry a Pan like you always joked about.” Tinker Bell said.

Tiger Lily’s face fell. Talking about a new Pan would mean for sure, even though Tiger Lily had known he was dead, that Tress’ journey as Pan was over. Someone else would take up his post like he didn’t even matter as an individual. Sure, most girls, hell even most mermaids, dream of marrying a Pan and flying away with him into the stars. But that was just a young girl’s dream. When Tress had become Pan, Tiger Lily was so proud that her brother was Pan. It was better than marrying one. She dreamed that she’d grow up to be the voice of the Bhedras and Tress the Pan of Neverland and together there would be no evil that could defeat them. Then one night and it was all gone. 

This longwinded thought must have appeared in some way on Tiger Lily’s face because Tinker Bell said, “I’m sorry, Lily. I didn’t quite realize before I spoke.”

“No, I know it’s the faeries’ job to continually look to the next Pan. Especially now that we have no idea what’s going on in the Dark Cove.” Tiger Lily said, choking back a tear. She had cried enough. Now was the time to regain her family’s honor, for her and for Tress.

“Wait. Everyone who flies into Neverland flies over Dracon first.” Tiger Lily said suddenly.

“Yea, so?” Tinker Bell said.

“Well, I assume you gave this boy dust so he can fly. He has to find a way here, right? I assume the path opens the same for him as it does Lost Boys, except in the stars?” Tiger Lily asked.

“Yes but I still don’t see where you’re going.” Tinker Bell said, confused.

“Just because he exhibits the qualities, he still has to prove himself, right?” Tiger Lily urged on.

“Yes, but Tiger Lily�"“

“We catch him as he enters and use him to find the warrior on Pomona. And then have him help me claim my place as Chief of the Name. That’s a journey worthy of a Pan, not to mention a simple candidate.” Tiger Lily finished.

“He doesn’t have a weapon or any magic. He just has the dust to fly here.” Tinker Bell said.

“Oh I’m sure, he’ll figure something out if he’s to be a Pan. And if not, then you find another, right?” Tiger Lily said.

“Well, I mean�"“ Tinker Bell said turning away from Tiger Lily.

“You mean what?” Tiger Lily asked, getting an idea but pushed it aside.

“I mean, it took some time to find him. The mortal world isn’t the most fun place to be for a pixie.” Tinker Bell said, recovering.

Tiger Lily decided not to press the issue. “I’m sure he’ll do fine. When do you think he’ll get here?”

“I’m not sure. I’ll go report to Arrogen and let Serban know you’re alive. He’ll be happy to hear that.” Tinker Bell said, before continuing. “He seemed like a trouble maker, I’m sure he’ll try to use the dust for some scheme before finding his way here.” Tinker Bell said floating to the window. “Lily, could you?”

Tiger Lily got up and opened the window for Tinker Bell.

“I will be back in a few days. From there we’ll wait out on Dracon for him.” Tinker Bell said as she started to fly away.

“Wait! Tink! What was his name?” Tiger Lily called after Tinker Bell.

She turned around and called back, “Peter! His name is Peter!”

Hmm, Peter Pan, Tiger Lily thought. It sounds good.


Chapter Eleven: First Flight

Peter spent the next few nights on the roof of his house trying to fly. He admitted to himself what a stupid thought that was, but hey, after that night he figured he had to at least try.

He tried using the computer to research magical flight and the search results returned some very weird things, not withstanding his story being the weirdest of all.

So that’s what he did. He stood on the roof but never near the edge because of his phobia. He tried everything he can think of. He jumped up, made whooshing sounds. Even at some point he instinctively crowed like a rooster. He wasn’t sure why that would help; his body just did it.

“Well, Pete, you’re officially losing your marbles.” He said to himself. He plopped down on the shingles, lightly kicking them with his feet, lost in thought.

He thought of the Darlings. They probably were laughing and enjoying being together without him. It was always Wendy who hated him.

Peter had actually met Wendy first, before John and Michael and had immediately formed a crush on her, mostly because she was older and more beautiful than any girl his age. Eventually he met John and Wendy graduated their school, leaving John and Peter free from her nerdy, straight-laced reign.

He wondered where they were, what they were doing. Peter had become mildly depressed without causing trouble with his friends but he was also angry with them for ratting him out.

Peter went to get off the roof and looked down. He was floating three feet above it. Peter laughed out loud and crowed again to no one at all.

Why do I keep doing that? Peter thought, bewildered.

Not entirely knowing how to land, Peter stretched his legs from his sitting position. He was indeed floating entirely in the air, a faint trail of gold dust falling from him. He raised his arms and swung them down and he immediately flew higher. He laughed again and knew exactly where he was going. He turned and went into a crouching position. He sprang forward and shot towards the Darling’s house. All traces of fear of flying had left him. Tinker Bell had cured him entirely.

After a couple of minutes Peter lowered himself towards one of the windows of their apartment. It was dark out and Peter was dressed entirely in black. No one from the street would notice him this high up and they wouldn’t notice him peeking in. Something seemed to be going on, there was a lot of yelling.

Two older people, whom Peter took to be Mr. and Mrs. Darling, were arguing. Their words were garbled and their voices just audible but Peter could sense the intensity of the fight. Suddenly, Mr. Darling slapped Mrs. Darling and she crashed to the floor. Peter was sure this had happened before. There was something in the way he raised his hand that said familiarity.

Then Wendy and John burst into the room. Wendy rushed to pick up her mother and John tried to subdue his father. John held his own for a quick moment before Mr. Darling threw him into an armoire. He then picked up Wendy from the floor with great strength and flung her in the same direction as John. He bent low over Mrs. Darling, pointed his finger at her and said something low. She looked scared but nodded. He left after that.

Wendy, John, and Mrs. Darling huddled together crying and hugging. Michael came in and joined in. In this tragedy, Peter felt jealously. A family. Something he no longer had, which however flawed, they did.

Peter also felt something else in his chest. He was sitting (floating) there watching this unfold while Mr. Darling would be right under him any moment. Peter had the power to punish him for hurting his friends. 

Maybe I can finally repay Wendy for bringing back Dad’s watch. And maybe she’ll finally stop looking at me like a brother. Peter thought.

He flew down and waited above an overhang for Mr. Darling. He walked out and went down the street muttering to himself. When they were near a darker alley, Peter crowed softly. Mr. Darling turned around but saw no one. Peter crowed again, slightly louder.

“Who’s there? I don’t have time for your s**t.” Mr. Darling snarled.

“Oh, but I have time for yours.” Peter hissed at him evilly.

Peter sprung forward from the darkness and barreled right into Mr. Darling’s chest, knocking him clear off his feet. Mr. Darling fell back into a bunch of garbage cans. Peter then landed, standing over Mr. Darling.

“I’m not quite your size, but you should still be careful about who you pick on.” Peter said. He wound back his fist and glanced blow after blow over Mr. Darling’s face. It went on for what seemed like hours, though actually was probably only a few solid minutes.

Eventually Mr. Darling no longer moved and was breathing shallowly. Peter noticed with each punch, the faerie dust glowed more brightly. Peter felt stronger.

He grabbed Mr. Darling from the legs and flew away under the cover of darkness, sagging under the dead weight of a grown man. It was extremely tough work, but two hours later, Peter got him to the front door outside of the Darling’s apartment. He dropped him unceremoniously and then knocked on the door, standing over Mr. Darling with his fists on his hips and a smile on his face.

Wendy answered and looked shocked. “Peter, now is not a good�"Dad?” Peter simply smiled at her surprise.

“I was climbing the fire escape and saw what happened. Don’t worry, I took care of it for you.” Peter said proudly. He figured maybe now Wendy wouldn’t dislike him so much and he would be welcome.

Then John came over to the door, followed by Michael. “Peter how dare you. This is not your business.” Wendy said angrily.

“Pete, that is my dad and my problem.” John said seriously. “Just, just, get out of here.” He bent down to try and pick his father up off the floor.

“John, Mikey, I was helping, I was�"“ Peter started, totally bewildered. 

“Peter! Go! Now!” John yelled and then looked at the neighbors’ doors to se if anyone would have heard him.

Peter gave one last look to Michael who frowned and helped John. He looked at Wendy helplessly.

“Wendy, I’m sorr�"“ 

The door snapped shut in his face.


Chapter Twelve: Second Star to the Right


Peter’s depression spiraled after that fiasco with the Darlings. He went home to wash his hands and clean the openings on his knuckles but found his hands perfectly fine. In fact, he usually had dry, rough hands but now they were clean and smooth.

Peter did notice other smaller feature changes. His face had become slightly more angular, calling to his mind Tinker Bell the Pixie’s face shape. He was thankful his ears hadn’t become pointed like hers. But his eyes became brighter, as if the golden dust was lighting a fire behind them. 

Sitting again on the pitched roof of his house, Peter was staring at the stars. Also since Tinker Bell’s visit, he was able to see more stars than one would normally be able to see in London. It fascinated him and did raise his mood a little. But Peter started to notice something in the sky, which he first took to be a plane.

Two stars from the North Star, was something blinking profusely. It couldn’t have been a plane; it had stayed in the same spot for too long. Peter felt a pull towards this blinking star. He started to get up as if in a trance. Peter crouched and sprung in the air towards the star. He was going higher and farther than he ever had. He vaguely hoped the dust wouldn’t suddenly run out, but he knew it wouldn’t. As he got colder, his body started to violently shake. He kept plowing towards the star. 

Then all his bad memories came forward, from some deep recess in his mind. Everything he suppressed, every little mistake came forward like a bat out of hell and he relived them all, ending with the attack on Mr. Darling. Peter started to cry and looked out at the star and smiled to himself. He was tired. Too tired to carry on. He fell fast. As he fell, so did he in and out of consciousness. 

His body flipped over once and his eyes opened slightly to see islands. He thought they looked vaguely unfamiliar but remembered New York City had islands. Maybe he subconsciously flew to see his parents.

Then his mind remembered that they looked nothing like the tropical beach he also just saw. Peter woke up with a start and realized he was in a free fall. Tinker Bell hadn’t mentioned how to hit the brakes.

He started to panic and a scream started to rise in his throat. And then crash!

He fell into the top of a tropical tree and tumbled through the branches, falling flat on his back. He moaned and used his mind to check his body. Miraculously, he was okay. He was just a bit shaken up.

“Peter!” a voice yelled.

He looked up to see a tiny little girl with wings right over his head.

“Binker Tell?” Peter asked dully.

“Close enough! You made it! Though a little later than I expected.” She said patting him on the forehead with her tiny hands. “But it’s okay you’re here now. I need your help.”

“Whoa, whoa, wait. I’m in Neverland?” Peter asked frowning.

“Yes! But more specifically, you’re on the island of Dracon in the Bhedras. It’s where anyone who flies in crosses first. Though I have to say you’re the first person to crash land. Anyway, I need your help. Let’s go!” Tinker Bell said excitedly and she started pulling his hair and trying to pick him up.

Peter swatted her away but she came right back.

“Listen, Tinker Butt,” Peter started.

“Tinker Bell!”

“Whoever. I know you’re used to flying but I don’t know if you realized, I just fell. From the sky. Through a tree. Give me a minute.” Peter said.

Tinker Bell huffed and pouted but no matter what she did, Peter just laid there for a bit longer. She took to sitting on his forehead with her legs crossed; much like she did the night he met her.

After about half an hour another girl came over. She was pretty with caramel skin and black hair. Fortunately for Peter, she was not a pixie. Unfortunately though, she seemed to be dressed like a Native American and Peter had no idea where the hell he had just landed.

“Ah, Tink. I see you’ve found him.” She said.

“Peter, this is Tiger Lily, heir to the Chief of the Name of the Bhedra Islands. Including the one you’re currently laying on. Show respect.” Tinker Bell said with a soft kick to his head.

“Easy, Tink. He just fell from the sky. Let him have his own pace.” Tiger Lily said as she kneeled next to him. She appeared about his age, maybe a couple years younger. She offered her hand.

“Thank you. I’m glad somebody understands.” Peter said taking Tiger Lily’s hand. As he said this, Tinker Bell huffed, causing her hair to flip. Peter thought she was very animated for such a tiny girl.

“You’ll have to forgive Tinker Bell. She’s impatient with new people. We’ve also been awaiting your arrival for two months. Even to immortals, it can test some patience.” Tiger Lily said.

“Hold on. Immortal?” Peter asked bewildered.

“Why, yes. In Neverland, we do not have to age. Some faeries and pixies will age very slowly regardless, but even then they do not die of old age. Same with my people, some will age very slowly or some of us choose to simply stop growing up. And now, you have that choice too.” Tiger Lily explained.

“I will not grow up or die?” Peter asked seriously.

“From age, yes.” Tiger Lily said. “You can still die if you’re murdered.”

“People do that here?” Peter asked.

“People do that everywhere, Peter, don’t be naïve.” Tinker Bell said rejoining the conversation.

“So am I stuck with her forever?” Peter asked pointing to Tinker Bell.

“Hey! Would that be so bad?” Tinker Bell exclaimed.

Ignoring them, Tiger Lily smiled. Then she said “Come, let us leave this island and go back to Falcon’s Perch. We have much to discuss there.”

Peter took in the sights as they spent most of the day walking across the island called Dracon. It was like a very beautiful tropic vacation spot to Peter. Tiger Lily moved silently and knowingly across the sand and tree roots. Tinker Bell hovered over his shoulder like some conscience, beautiful and tiny, yet very talkative.

They traveled in silence for two days as they crossed the island. Peter found out that Tiger Lily could also fly, but Tinker Bell said they couldn’t fly to where they were going for “safety reasons.”

One night they were sleeping on the beach of the other side of Dracon. Peter noticed the constellations were the reverse of what they were in his world.

“Neverland kind of exists as a shadow of Earth. It exists because Earth does.” Tinker Bell said thoughtfully from her usual spot on his shoulder. “The Sylwraiths, the beings who created Neverland and the faeries, crafted Neverland out of Earth’s shadow.”

“So like my shadow is alive, the Earth’s is too, and it’s Neverland?” Peter asked, making the connection.

“Hmm, I never thought of it like that, but I suppose so.” Tinker Bell conceded.

“Hey, Tink, can I ask you something?” Peter asked.

“Sure, Peter.”

“Why did you bring me here?” Peter asked.

At this question, Tinker Bell got off of his shoulder and flew a few feet from him and into a tree branch.

“Peter, you don’t know this obviously, but Neverland doesn’t have to exist. It’s what we call the Neverthought.” Tinker Bell said somberly.

“The Neverthought?” Peter asked confused.

“It’s what the Sylwraiths called the End. When the story of Neverland ends and we cease to exist. This is my home Peter. It’s in trouble and when that happens, we choose a hero.” Tinker Bell said, still not facing him.

“So you need me to save Neverland from ultimate destruction?” Peter said.

Tinker Bell laughed nervously, “No, no. I’m just saying that this land has evil in it, just like yours. And just like yours, it needs heroes. Right now, may not be the End, but it is not Neverland’s brightest moment.”

“Could you elaborate?”

“We will tomorrow in Falcon’s Perch.” Tinker Bell said flying to face Peter. “Until then, just relax and try to enjoy the paradise that Neverland is.” She touched his face and smiled before flying above his head into a tree canopy.

Peter felt a connection with Tinker Bell from that conversation. She was feisty, cryptic, and maybe a little annoying, but Peter was positive that he was brought here for a good reason. At the moment of acceptance of Tinker Bell, Peter felt a raise in his blood, as if his magic was doing a hundred miles an hour.

Chapter Thirteen: Crow


After another half day of travel, Peter reached the village of Falcon’s Perch, capital of the Bhedra Islands. It looked like a traditional Native American village, however there were signs of technology. They had glass and lanterns and wooden war machines. Also present were crossbows that fired metal bolts instead of arrows. There were cabins that had brick chimneys among the wigwams and teepees. Peter thought it looked like a village very confused in what time period it was in.

Though to an ageless people, they probably don’t even notice, Peter thought.

They had to sneak around into a compound that looked like it was used for forging and smithing. They went into the largest cabin and up into the attic where an older Native was waiting.

Tiger Lily introduced her, “Tideso, this is Peter, from the Aging Land. Peter, this is Tideso, the personal blacksmith and quartermaster of the Chief of the Name, as well the most talented Native weapon maker in all of the Bhedras.”

Tideso twisted her hand over her right shoulder and bent forward slightly. “Candidate Peter, welcome to my home, and Tiger Lily’s temporary attic hideout.”

“Well met, Tideso.” Peter said back. “Candidate?” 

“Okay, Peter, time to honest.” Tinker Bell started, “Well, mostly, anyway.”

Peter was sorely confused. Well, as confused as someone who flew through a star and crashed landed on an island inside the Earth’s shadow.

“Remember how I told you Neverland needs heroes?” Tinker Bell asked.

“Yes.”

“Neverland has them. They’re called Pans, after the original Pan who saved Neverland many times before his ultimate death. After that, the Faerie Council has transferred his powers into another individual whenever there was an extreme crisis.” Tinker Bell explained.

“So you want me to become a Pan and save your world?” Peter asked.

“Well, you...sort of have to try out first. Then be appointed by the council, given your powers, trained and then, well, yes. You would then save my world. Our world.” Tinker Bell said.

“What makes you think I’m even qualified? You don’t really know me. I could be a huge liability.” Peter countered.

“Your shadow came alive, Peter. I was drawn to your window because of the raw imagination and magic you were leaking. You were exhibiting the signs of a Pan. They always manifest when the need is great.” Tinker Bell said confidently.

Then Tideso asked, “Have you crowed?”

Peter gave her a look, “Why do you ask?”

“That is an answer, in and of itself, Young Crow.” Tideso said smiling. And then the three women smiled at each other.

“So you mentioned there was some kind of tryout?” Peter said, slowly getting on board. It was nice to feel needed and have people call him their hero without so much as knowing his last name.

“As you must know by now, Tiger Lily is the true princess heir to this island nation.” Tideso explained, “Unpredictable circumstances arose and now someone else sits in her place. To prove him incompetent, there is a warrior who survived a suicide mission on the next island of Pomona.”

“This group of warriors was sent to investigate a darkness and only one returned. The Chief, Ban Chua, who stole my family’s throne, refuses anyone to see or talk to this warrior. We don’t even know which of our brothers has returned. Ban just keeps him hidden on Pomona, which is his family’s ancestral ground. For one of us were to go there, it will cause outright civil war. You could sneak in, reclaim this brother for us and use his knowledge to impeach Ban Chua.” Tiger Lily added.

“Why would I want to get in the middle of a Native affair?” Peter asked.

“Well, outside of world-ending disasters, which are rare, Pans are used as peacekeepers for all the different Neverland factions. This, not only serves as a good test of competency, but will give you valuable practice in the politics of another culture.” Tideso said.

Tinker Bell added, “Plus, Lily is my friend. If you don’t want to do it for her, could you please do it for me?” 

Her eyes had grown wide and she fluttered right in front of his face with her hands on his nose. She was doing it on purpose, but he got the point.

“Fine, Tink.” Peter said defeated, “But not just for you, but because this Ban guy sounds like a nutjob. How should we begin? Do I get awesome telekinetic powers? Or maybe pyrokinetic?”

“Um, you can fly.” Tinker Bell said.

“That’s it?”

“For now. Make it work.” She said with a wink and flew to Tiger Lily’s shoulder.


Chapter Fourteen: The Shadow Mind

They explained to Peter the events of the night they captured Sharpseid, though the particular significance of the sword was not disclosed to him.

“All this over a sword?” Peter asked

“Long story. Another time, Crow.” Tideso said.

Tiger Lily, Tinker Bell and Tideso came up with the best course of action to enter Pomona and into the Chuas’ main village, Faithtyde. The village was a very spiritual one, as was the whole island of Pomona. Totem poles towered as tall as any tree and body paint was an every day thing.

Peter would be painted and fly under the cover of night to the coast of Pomona and sneak through the island’s dense forest to Faithtyde, which was not very far inland. Using the spiritual paint in a deceiving manner was a punishable by death offense.

“Oh, great. Thanks.” Peter scoffed.

“Don’t worry, you’re not Native. You’ll be punished separately by the faeries.” Tinker Bell said as Tideso and Tiger Lily started to paint him.

As if that makes me feel any better. Peter thought.

They also painted his torso and face in a light caramel color, to possibly disguise the fact that was not Native for as long as possible. Tideso described some of the symbols they painted on him.

“The sun on your back is the symbol of a warrior king. So…don’t fumble this.” She said. “The tree on your right arm is representative of your connection to nature. As the Festival of Names is approaching these would appropriate.”

“The Festival of Names?” Peter asked.

“Basically a celebration where we paint ourselves with symbols that describe our ideal nature. If we are judged to be close to that ideal state, we take a new name.” Tiger Lily explained.

“So you change names often?” Peter asked. He found he was full of questions in Neverland, whereas in his world, he usually had answers.

“No, no. No one has changed names in millennia, outside of family adoptions. No one has achieved his or her ideal state. That’s also kind of the point. We all have faults and have to remember we make mistakes.” Tideso answered.

The time came for Peter to fly towards Pomona. None of them would be accompanying him. Peter was on his own and was meant to simply bring back the warrior. News came in earlier that day that Ban Chua had returned home to prepare for the festival. Peter prayed it would be a simple search and rescue. 

Though, it’s not like I have much experience in this area, Peter thought.

For the first time in a long time, Peter felt nervous. For some reason Peter felt the urge to impress these people. Maybe it was the funeral type mood that befallen the attic, but they didn’t seem to think Peter would come out alive.

Just before Peter was to fly, Tideso gave him a ring to wear. Set in it was a large emerald.

“If anything goes wrong, just concentrate on where you are and concentrate on the gemstone.” Tideso said.

Tinker Bell was sitting on his shoulder and put her hand on his cheekbone. “Good luck Peter.” She flew away to Tiger Lily’s shoulder, who smiled sadly. She walked over to him and kissed him on the cheek.

Peter smiled and crouched in the window frame. He sprang up and took off towards the Northeast, the direction they told him. The islands were in twilight, so Peter quickly flew as high as he could to generate more cloud cover. After an hour of flying as fast as he could, he saw the island loom ahead. Another two hours of flying fast, Peter started to get a little winded, but he kept up his pace.

He landed on the top of a tree relatively close to the beach. After gaining his footing, Peter listened. Since his new connection to Tinker Bell, his senses seemed to have awakened into a higher state. 

In the distance Peter heard drums and chant music. It wasn’t the Festival of Names yet, but his friends had told him, they might be preparing and worshipping new totem poles regardless. Peter was glad for this, for it caused most of the village to be distracted.

Peter skipped across the tops of the trees and totem poles until he came to a very large clearing. He saw the center fire pit and the villagers socializing around it. He saw a large warrior with a Chua painted, wings spread, across his chest. He wore a crown of branches and elderberries. 

That’s probably the head honcho I need to avoid, Peter thought.

Peter skipped across the trees around the outside of the firelight. The village fascinated him. It was quite large and many cabins sprawled outside of the main clearing. Peter had to also act fast; it was becoming very late and people would be winding down. Had this been the Festival of Names, they would be going all night, but the villagers, he was told, got very rowdy and it would be more dangerous. This was his best shot at retrieving the warrior.

A red cross was painted atop a cabin outside of the firelight. It was one of the larger buildings with smaller rooms attached in rows. Peter assumed it was an infirmary. He guessed that any lone survivor of a suicide mission would need medical attention. Plus, nurses and doctors were less likely to kill him, as they would be used to saving lives. Or so he hoped held true for the Bhedran natives.

He landed outside one of the smaller rooms. The cabin seemed to be set up with one main hallway with all the patient rooms being the smaller attachments on both sides. There were twelve in all, six on each side. Peter looked through the windows of each of the six on the side closest to him. There was nothing interesting about them, three of them being empty and the other three holding elderly patients who were coughing or sleeping.

On the other side, Peter saw something peculiar and thought he probably found his mark.

Inside was a warrior, Peter judged by the sun painted above his head. His room looked like he had been there for a while. Heavy leather cords strapped him down. Next to his bed was a medical tray full of primitive instruments and herbal looking remedies. He seemed to be asleep.

However this Native was far different from the rest. He had very long arms that were very muscled; Peter wondered how the straps held him down but realized those were not herbal remedies but must be sedatives.

His legs, arms and jawline were very hairy, like an animal. His brows were heavy and jaw was elongated and heavy with an under bite. Sprouting form his mouth were a couple of large canines. Peter realized he was looking at some kind of werewolf. It took him a long time to comprehend what he saw. He then started to wonder how he could possibly get him back to Tideso’s attic.

Peter decided to concentrate on the emerald ring. He assumed it was some kind of communication device that would summon back up. After a few minutes, nothing happened. The ring glowed a bit but nothing significant happened. Peter sighed and realized he was on his own.

He quietly snuck in through the chimney of the werewolf’s room. Peter was covered in soot, his name paintings just visible. He quietly walked over to the werewolf and took a look at the herbal plants on the medical tray. Peter really had no idea what he was looking at so he took some and put them in the pockets of his heavy black Native leggings Tiger Lily had given him. Peter then started to undo the leather strap that held down the werewolf.

Immediately this was a mistake. As Peter’s hand brushed the hair of the wolf-man’s arm, the monster stirred and opened one weary eye. For a moment they locked eyes. Peter smiled and laughed nervously and slowly let the empty leather cuff fall. Peter started to back away and then wolf-man went crazy. He started howling and thrashing. One clawed hand free, he ripped through his remaining restraints. He stood and growled at Peter. 

Two staff members ran in and screamed at the sight. The wolf-man picked up the closest one and tossed him through the window. The second one tried to run but tripped. The wolf-man grabbed him by the ankles and was holding him upside down smelling him. Then Peter crowed loudly at the monster. Ignoring the fact the was still randomly crowing, Peter felt the gold dust send magic through his body.

He had the wolf-man’s attention now, “Come on you brute, this way!” Peter yelled and flew through the shattered window. The wolf-man dropped the medical nurse and then burst through the wall of the cabin in pursuit of Peter. When he was outside he swung his head violently looking for Peter, who was up in a tree.

“Up here, you mutt!” Peter yelled. The wolf-man started towards the tree for a minute but then his elongated ear perked. Peter stared in horror as the wolf-man heard the music of the village. The wolf-man took off towards the fire pit. Peter sprung from the tree and followed the creature from the air.

The wolf-man emerged through the forest into the fire pit area. He immediately caused a panic as he started to howl and ravage the area. Peter flew from the air and did the same torpedo move he used on Mr. Darling. He knocked the wolf onto his back but as he started to punch the wolf-man, he was hit with the force of a charging bull and was knocked clean off.  The large Native warrior Chief, Ban Chua had dived full on into Peter. Chua untangled himself from Peter and stared down at him.

“You have unleashed a monster.” He said with venom.

“Didn’t you bring him here?” Peter countered.

Ban Flacon went to punch but Peter rolled out of danger, scrambled away and took to the air. 

Ban yelled, “Who are you, who dares to use faerie magic here!” But before Peter could answer, the wolf-man barreled into Ban Chua.

Figuring it was worse to simply let the wolf murder the Chief and subsequently the entire island of Pomona, Peter dove again and landed on the wolf’s back. He wrapped his arms around the throat of the wolf. This allowed Ban Chua to get away and he simply ran into the forest with the rest of the Natives.

What a coward, Peter thought.

Peter wrestled with the wolf for a moment who was frantically howling, trying to remove Peter. Eventually Peter was slammed into the fire pit and fell from the wolf. Peter slowly rolled over and saw the wolf-man menacing towards him. Just as the wolf raised his claw, its eyes grew wide and became much more human. His features shrunk back to normal and he fell to knees and then face down, a giant crossbow bolt in his back. Ban Chua stood with the crossbow pointed. Peter got up and was about to begrudgingly say thank you but then Chua didn’t lower the crossbow. Peter had less than a second to dive to the side as Chua loosed another bolt.

“Are you out of your mind?” Peter yelled.

“You let loose a monster onto my people.” Ban said, firing another bolt that Peter barely dodged.

“You really are nuts. You made that monster!” Peter yelled. “I heard about the suicide mission. You did this!”

“I do not have the power to indulge the Shadow Mind, youngling.” Ban said. “but if you think that, then you truly are a faerie agent.” Two more bolts loosed. Peter dodged behind the wall of a ruined cabin.

Peter needed to stall for time. “The Shadow Mind? What is that?” He called to Ban Chua.

“Don’t play stupid, boy. The Shadow Mind, the spirit that exists in everyone’s shadow. Using dark magic, one could be cursed through it, causing monstrous changes, like that wereman. Only mortals would use dark magic to create an army of weremen.” Ban said, saying the last part more to himself than Peter. “Come out and die like the warrior you claim to be. I saw your name paintings.”

Peter silently cursed. He couldn’t overtake Chua. He was exhausted from flying so far, so fast and from wrestling the werewolf. He had only one idea. He put his feet against the wall he was behind. He heard Ban Chua walking around it and at the last possible second, he sprang from the wall like a rocket, flying low over the ground towards the tree. Ban yelled in surprise and loosed three bolts but none were remotely close. As Peter reached the tree, he pulled up and flew away towards the beach.

He wanted badly to crash on the beach but knew that would be horrible. So Peter kept flying. It was past sunrise when Peter made it back to the attic window. All three girls were asleep. Peter knocked. They awoke with a start, Tiger Lily rushing to open the window. Peter tumbled inside and landed on the floor, passing out.

Chapter Fifteen: A Voice Adopted


Peter awoke lazily. Not quite remembering where he was, he assumed he was back in his bed in London. Everything must have been one intense dream. Then a tiny flying girl came into his view. Peter moaned and covered his face.


“D****t. I’m still not awake.” Peter groaned.

“Oh no, Peter, you’re awake. It’s time to tell us what happened. We’ve waited for three days and the stories from Pomona are quite shocking.” Tinker Bell said, trying to pull the blankets off of Peter. Obviously it was heavy for her and Peter watched as she struggled, bemused. When she was halfway done, he flung the covers off, entangling her in the mess. Tinker Bell escaped the blankets and huffed at him.

“I’ll go get Lily and Tideso.” She said angrily.

“You do that.” Peter said crossing his arms. He noticed he was covered with pasted leaves and bandages. He started removing some of the ones that were flaking off. He must have exhausted too much magic to heal himself of his wounds.

Tideso and Tiger Lily quietly walked in and sat across from Peter.

“What happened? There are stories of a monster loosed on Faithtyde. Twelve people died. What did you do?” Tiger Lily asked quietly, tears forming in her eyes.

“Wait a second, you think I’m that monster?” Peter asked incredulously. “You’re the ones who sent me to find that crazy thing!”

“Wait, there really was a monster?” Tideso asked.

“Of course there was! You knew about it! You tried to have me killed!” Peter yelled.

“What are you talking about, Peter?” Tinker Bell asked.

“When I got there, I saw a werewolf strapped to a bed in a medical lodge. He was sedated so I undid one of his straps so I could bring him back. He woke up and everything went to hell. I tried to use the emerald ring like you said but no one ever answered.” Peter said.

“You used the ring?” Tideso asked.

“Yea, it glowed but you never picked up. I assumed you left me to die.”

“Picked up?” Tideso asked.

“Yea, like a phone, like a message. An SOS! ‘Hello, I’m kind of in trouble!’ kind of thing.” Peter said rudely.

“Peter, what’s a phone?” Tiger Lily asked.

“Something to communicate with,” Peter said remembering who he was talking to. “If the ring isn’t used to communicate, then what bloody good is it?”

“You can store memories in it.” Tinker Bell said.

“Oh.” Peter said. “Well then, I did that.” He took off the ring and flung it to Tideso. “Mind you, it’s only of the werewolf. While Ban Chua was trying to kill me, I didn’t really have the time.”

“What?” Tiger Lily exclaimed.

“Yea, your chief tried to kill me after he killed the werewolf.” Peter said.

Tideso started shaking her head. “Tinker Bell, Lily, look.” Images appeared in the ring, showing everything Peter had seen.

“Ban said something about a Shadow Mind, dark magic, and an army.” Peter said shrugging. “Also for the record, if I didn’t choke the werewolf, he’d have been dead. I also distracted it so he could shoot it. I should get half the credit.”

“Ban said what now?” Tinker Bell asked.

“That only mortals would use dark magic to create an army.” Peter said. “He said that the werewolf was cursed through his Shadow Mind. When he died, he returned to normal.”

“Now that I think about it, in the firelight, the werewolf had no shadow.” Peter continued.

“Peter, had we known, we would not have sent you. This is terrible news. I’m so sorry.” Tinker Bell said as she flew to his shoulder and tried to huge his face.

“She’s right, Crow, we would not have let a youngling fly into something like that.” Tideso said solemnly. 

“Peter, I assure you, I would never have allowed that. I also apologize on behalf of Ban Chua. It’s my fault he’s chief and the position he put us in.” Tiger Lily said.

“I guess it’s fine. You guys really are in trouble if there’s an army of those things running around.” Peter said.

“Peter, could you put your memories of the night into the ring. We will use it as proof to remove Ban from the throne and reinstall my family.” Tiger Lily asked.

Peter did as he was asked. He wasn’t sure Tiger Lily would do a better job, but since Ban had tried to kill him, he really wasn’t very fond of him.

“Thanks, Peter.” Tiger Lily said grasping his hand. Tinker Bell huffed at this. “I’ll call for a council immediately.”

Peter slept for most of the day. He woke up now and then because his dressings caused discomfort so he took them off. He was completely healed. Not even a scratch.

He also noticed Tinker Bell never left his bedpost. He wondered if the pixie had any thing else to do besides watch him sleep.

That night, after a light dinner, Tiger Lily gave Peter Bhedran clothes to wear. They were finer then the basic clothes he had caught glimpses of. There was a fine deerskin jacket, a white cloth shirt with a deep v-cut, and clean, heavy black leggings. Also were new moccasins with the same sun symbol painted on the top.

“This is a little extravagant.” Peter said to Tiger Lily, showing her after he had changed.

“I know. I’m asking you to come to council and sponsor me.” Tiger Lily said.

“What? Why me? I have no voice here.” Peter said.

“Well, I can give you one.” Tideso said entering the room. “I will adopt you into my family. It’s a ceremonial thing, but it will give you a voice in our proceedings. As long as there’s another Native to bear witness, which there is, we can perform it right here.”

“And why you, because you fought, mostly without question, on my word. You are a loyal warrior…and friend. I would feel comfortable with you at my side in a den of my enemies.” Tiger Lily said, staring into his eyes.

“Plus it will really piss off Chua for you.” Peter scoffed.

“No denying that.” Tiger Lily smiled. “So will you accept Tideso’s adoption? It is exceedingly rare for a non-native to be adopted into a family here.”

“Sure, sure.”


“What is your full name, youngling?” Tiger Lily asked formally.

“Peter James Ward” Peter said. His answer was met with stifled giggles from Tinker Bell. He rolled his eyes.

“Peter James…Ward. Do you accept Tideso of the house of Birds’ gift of adoption?” Tiger Lily asked, with Tideso standing opposite of him.

“Yes.”

“From here on out, you are expected to act accordingly with our laws, as you represent our family with your actions.” Tideso said placing a hand on his shoulder. “As is tradition, part of your name will bear distinction with our family. I hereby name you Crow, of the house of Birds”

It was Peter’s turn to stifle a giggle.

“I understand.” Peter said.

And it was done. Peter was adopted into the Birds family, giving him a voice among the Bhedran people. Peter only hoped that his new “voice” was enough to stop from the council turning into a bloodbath with his presence.

Chapter Sixteen: Changing of the Chiefs

They made it to the Head Cabin and were waiting on Ban Chua, and the other two main families that made up the Bhedran royal families. In addition to the Tiger, Birds, and Chua families there were the Sun and Elk families. After a couple minutes, Ban Chua entered with a weary looking old man and pretty Native woman, a little older than Tiger Lily.

“What does he think he’s doing here? He has no right. I should shoot him where he stands.” Ban Chua immediately said.

“Oh because your aim was so on point the other night.” Peter snorted.

Ban made towards Peter but the old man raised his hand across Ban’s chest with uncanny speed.

“There always is an explanation.” Said the old man.

“Thank you, Donoma.” Tideso said, “Indeed there is. I have adopted him into my family. I’d like to introduce you to Crow. Anything he says or does, represents my family in this council.”

Peter smirked at the face Ban was making. To the other two strangers however, Peter knew he had to play nice. He put his hand to his right shoulder and bowed slightly.

“I am new here, but I will try to make the best use of the gift Tideso has given me.” Peter said.

“To hell you will.” Ban spat.

“Easy, Ban.” The girl said. “Well met, Crow. My name is Charisa. I represent the Elk family and Donoma does the same for the Sun.”

“I believe we were brought here for a reason other than Crow’s adoption.” Donoma said.

“Yes. A few nights ago, Crow witnessed some disturbing evidence in Faithtyde on Pomona.” Tiger Lily said.

“Do we have proof of anything he saw?” Ban said oily.

“My word isn’t good enough?” Peter spoke up.

“Frankly, no.” Ban said.

“Well, then, I have here, the emerald ring, Un’abe.” Tideso said producing the ring. As she did this, Ban went pale.

Tideso tossed the ring into the center fire pit. She said a small chant that Peter didn’t catch all of it but heard the ring’s name Un’abe in it. After a moment, the flames erupted towards the hole in the ceiling. Dancing in the light, from Peter’s perspective, were the events of the other night in Faithtyde. 

After they were finished there was a quick moment of silence. And then Charisa spoke up. “Interesting. That’s a very interesting turn of events Ban. Crow, could you explain to me what he said to you in those final moments?”

“He said that only mortals would use dark magic to build an army. And that the warrior was cursed from his Shadow Mind.”

“Ban, this something that should not have been hidden from us. Especially since one of our own survived.” Donoma said.

Tiger Lily moved forward. “Due to your recent actions, I request that this council remove Ban Chua from Chief of the Name.”

“Who would replace him?” Charisa asked.

“I recommend Tiger Lily,” Peter said. All faces turned to him. “She’s the one who asked me to find out what I could in Faithtyde. She was on to Chua from day one. I think her to be the best option moving forward.”

“The youngling speaks sense. We should all see it.” Tideso said.

They voted on it. Donoma, Charisa and Tideso all voted for Tiger Lily. Obviously she voted for herself, making it a four to one victory.

“Ban, I do not expect us to continue being enemies. You are a strong and smart warrior, I would hope you would continue to serve as our general.” Tiger Lily said. There was a murmur of general consent. Peter could tell he didn’t really want to, but he nodded saying, “It would be my honor.”

Tiger Lily smiled in relief and walked over to him. He extended his hand but she hugged him instead. 

“Do not mistake me, Lily.” He said. “I will always be watching to regain what was mine.”

Tiger Lily broke from him and held his face, looking at him sadly. “It’s a shame everything is a contest to you.”

With that, Ban Chua left and the council was over. The formalities dropped like an anvil in the air. Donoma stretched and yawned.

“It is nice to see you out of exile, princess. There has been a void of beauty since you have left us.” He said. Tiger Lily blushed.

“Thank you, Donoma.”

“Ah, well that was fun.” He said.” Young Crow, you have quite the mouth and quite the abilities.”

“It’s been sometime since someone in the Bhedras have flown. And to escape Ban! Well that’s never happened. You’ve made quite the rivalry, Crow.” Charisa said, eyeing him. Peter just smiled back. Tiger Lily grabbed his shoulders from behind and steered him out the door. Whispering in his ear, “Oh no, you avoid Charisa like the plague, you understand?” Peter nodded.

Back in Tideso’s cabin, they celebrated. Tiger Lily could walk freely, well mostly, around her nation again. She would be in control now as well.

“Tinker Bell, Peter, thank you for helping me reclaim Chief of the Name.” She said. “I promise you the Bhedras support in the faeries’ campaign against...whatever it is you're up against.

“Thank you, Lily. You stay here and rebuild what you can. Peter and I will fly back to the Nevertree to report to Arrogen. We’ll let you know when we’re ready for you.” Tinker Bell said.

They spent the next couple of hours conversing happily. Peter felt at home and then reminded himself, it was his adopted home. Tiger Lily and Tideso explained to him some of the Natives’ finer traditions and some of the peculiar personalities that ran amok. After a while, Tideso went to bed and Tinker Bell fell asleep next to a tankard of ale. It was only a quarter empty, but for a pixie, that must have been like a drinking a barrel. It was just Tiger Lily and Peter.

“Well, thanks for everything. It will be a shame for you to leave, Peter. Or should I say Crow?” Tiger Lily said, red in the face and leaning in toward Peter. She nestled her head against his shoulder.

“You know, my brother was the last Pan. If you become one, you’ll be his successor.” Tiger Lily said.

“What happened to him?” Peter asked, absolutely stone sober. He never drank before and didn’t see a reason to start now. He had a little bit but nothing to affect him. Though he thought his rapid healing factor would probably stop him from getting drunk anyway. 

Tiger Lily sniffed back some tears, “We’re not entirely sure, but we know he was murdered by a pirate in the Dark Cove, twenty years ago. Or at least that’s what Tinker Bell said was in the memory trapped in his sword’s gemstone.”

“I’m sorry to hear that.” Peter said rubbing her back. He was at kind of a loss for what to do.

“Peter?” Tiger Lily said looking up.

“Hmm?”

“Don’t die.” Tiger Lily leaned in and kissed him. Peter was shocked and his eyes stayed open. When Tiger Lily pulled away, Peter saw Tinker Bell’s eye snap shut.

I hope she doesn’t think I’m taking advantage of Lily. She kissed me, Peter thought.

Though, that’s not what was running through Tinker Bell’s mind.


Chapter Seventeen: The Nevertree


The next morning Peter and Tinker Bell said goodbye to Tiger Lily and Tideso. It was a bittersweet farewell, everyone knew it was temporary but the events that they went through together had bound them with invisible rope.

“Peter, as my adopted son, I’d like for you to have Un’abe.” Tideso said, handing him the emerald ring. “I never married and though our family name will continue with my brothers, I never had someone to pass along this heirloom.” 

“Thank you, Tideso.” Peter said, donning the ring.

“Native gemstones can do more than hold memories. They can be wells of energy and magic. Also spirits can store themselves inside, so be careful.” Tideso said.

Tiger Lily walked over to Peter and hugged him tightly, without a word �" just a sad smile.

After that, they took off, Tinker Bell slightly ahead of him. After a while, Tinker Bell pointed out a bright light in the distance and high in the sky. It was very hard to see, even with Peter’s enhanced sight. 

“Does that look familiar Peter?” She asked.

Peter concentrated on it for a moment. Then he remembered. “Yea, that looks like the star I followed before I crashed on Dracon.”

“That is the star. It sits on top of the Nevertree, which is where we’re headed.” Tinker Bell said.

“The Nevertree?”

“It’s the major home of the faeries and the magical capital of Neverland. Inside of it is the faerie council and carved into the trunk is the Tapestry, which tells the story of Neverland’s history.” Tinker Bell said.

“Is that where you live?” Peter asked.

“Yes, I live in the canopy called Treefort City. It’s the only dwelling comprised entirely of faeries.” Tinker Bell answered.

“Is it all, like, small for faeries only, or will I be able to see where you live?” Peter asked.

“Why would you want to see where I live?” Tinker Bell asked bewildered.

“You saw my room. It’s only fair.” Peter pointed out.

“Well, it’d be a tight fit, but possibly, if we have time.” Tinker Bell said blushing. “It’s a huge mess. I don’t really spend much time there.”


They flew in silence most of the way. They stopped for a rest on the Northeast shore of Pomona before the big flight across the ocean to the mainland. They slept the night and started again in the morning. It took two full days of fast flying to reach the clearing of the Nevertree. About two miles before the base of the tree, Tinker Bell started to descend.

“Tink, what are we doing?” Peter called after her.

“I’m showing you where you’re staying.” Tinker Bell called over her shoulder.

They descended upon a battered old, twisted tree. It was very large, though was an ant to the Nevertree. It had no leaves and all the bark was peeled off.

“Welcome to Hangman’s Hollow, Peter. These are the ancestral quarters of every Pan.” Tinker Bell said grandly.

“Um, Tink, it’s a tree.” Peter said pointedly.

“Don’t be silly.” Tinker Bell said.

“Tink, it’s a tree.” 

“See that hole in the center? Climb in it.” Tinker Bell said matter-of-factly. 

Peter walked up to the hole and noticed it was a slide into darkness. Peter climbed in and slid around a couple turns and landed underground. However there was no dirt but a large round room. It had windows, but they must have been bewitched to show the sky outside. There was a fireplace, which also confused Peter, but he let it be. It was furnished with pouffy couches and an eclectic assortment of chairs, tables and wardrobes. There was an immense bookcase full of books, many Peter heard of and many he hadn’t. Tinker Bell flew in behind him.

“Like it?” She asked.

“It looks comfy, though a little dusty.” Peter said.

“It’s been empty for twenty years, Pete. Take it easy.” Tinker Bell said blandly.

“Fine, fine. But is this close to the Nevertree so I can be monitored?” Peter asked swiftly.

Tinker Bell frowned, “Well, yes. But it’s also for everyone’s safety. The Nevertree is Neverland’s final stronghold. If anything were to happen, this is where our last stand would be. It’d be good to have you close.”

Peter was sure that was just to make him feel better.

“Let’s go to the council.”

The council didn’t convene for a few hours, while Tinker Bell rallied all the members. Peter waited in Hangman’s Hollow until Tinker Bell summoned him.

They flew together to a large cut hole about halfway up the Nevertree. It took a little bit to fly up there, considering the size of the tree. The hole held a hundred faeries but only had enough room for Peter to sit cross-legged. 

“This council is now in session. Tinker Bell, introductions.” An old wizened faerie said.

“I’d like to introduce to the council, my candidate for Pan, Peter James Ward from the Aging Land, also now known as Crow in the Bhedran Islands.” Tinker Bell said. “Peter, the head of this council is Arrogen.”

“Peter, I hear you had a rough landing. No mortal boy has ever flown in before.” Arrogen said.

Peter thought he was being made fun of, but decided to stay peaceful. So he shrugged and smiled “I like to make an entrance.” There was a small amount of giggling among the faeries. Arrogen called them back to order.

“Arrogen, I have already tested Peter extensively.” Tinker Bell said.

“Oh is that so? How did you do that?” Arrogen asked with the air of boredom.

“Peter, the ring, please.” Tinker Bell said. Peter handed her Un’abe. “Because of Peter, we were able to find out part of the threat from the Dark Cove, right a deadly wrong in the Bhedran Council, and restore Tiger Lily as Chief of the Name.”

The air of surprise was palpable. Arrogen recovered. “Provide proof, Tinker Bell.”

“Forsa, could you please? This is another gemstone.” Tinker Bell said, calling a young faerie.

Forsa put his hands to the stone and light beamed from his eyes and mouth, showing the same images they showed Donoma and Charisa.

“Ah, this is very disturbing indeed. Two memories of weremen.” Arrogen said to himself. “However, it seems that it is time for us to call upon Pan once more. Plus, we’ve not been able to find any other suitable candidates. Dole, if you please.”

A middle-aged faerie flew in front of Peter and the rest of the council. “Since the time of Old, we have called upon Pan to do our bidding and protect this tree and this entire land from whatever forces that try to destroy them. Since Pan himself, we have bestowed upon an individual who is creative and loyal, the powers which define such a hero. Peter, of the Aging Land, do you accept the responsibilities of Pan? To protect and serve this council and all the races, peoples, and factions of Neverland, otherwise known to your people as the Far Off World?” Dole asked Peter.

“Yes. It would be my pleasure to stick it to the b*****d turning people into those werewolves.” Peter said defiantly.

Arrogen and Dole both smiled. 

“Well you heard him faeries.” Dole called.

All together, the faeries started to sing, including Tinker Bell, who flew to Peter’s shoulder and touched his face. The air started to shimmer with gold dust. The voices became louder and Peter felt a force surge through his veins. Ancient memories flooded into his mind and he saw many battles and many different faces of victory and defeat. He gained memories of shooting a bow, hunting boar and other various talents he never had but knew he had them now.

“The ancient order of Pan and their powers are bestowed to you, Peter.” Dole said as the faeries voices faded.

“All of Hangman’s Hollow and the Neverland army of Lost Boys are yours. You are our general and our most fearsome warrior. This council officially recognizes you as the 154th, Peter Pan!” Arrogen said aloud. 

The applause was thunderous, especially coming from tiny faerie hands, but it felt like the whole tree was clapping with them. Peter smiled to himself, If this is a dream, I sincerely hope I never wake up.

Chapter Eighteen: The Three Speakers


Peter stood in front of Hangman’s Hollow, his army before him. As Pan, he was ranked as general of the Lost Boys, a group of ragtag guerrilla fighters made up of boys and girls of varying ages, though none older than he. All in all, there must have been about ten thousand of them, coming to Hangman’s Hollow from all over the different parts of Neverland.

The feeling of being overwhelmed was starting to get to Peter but he had to let it go. Dole had introduced him to the group. There was a speech about the threat of Dark Cove and the Weremen. Then it was Peter’s turn to say something. 

“It is true, I am from the Aging Land, but I have come to feel at home here in Neverland and will fight till my last breath for it.” Peter said to the crowd.

At his words, they all crowed out loud to him. Peter was taken back by the sound that he so often made himself. It was at the sound of that call that he knew he was meant to be Pan.

After the introduction ceremony, Peter was introduced to the three highest-ranking Lost Boys. There were no other official rankings within the Lost Boys other than Speaker. Only their battle prowess allowed them to be Speaker.

There was Rumia, a girl of sixteen who had ragged red brown hair tinged with pink dye. She wore the skins of a deer and some leather belts with a lot of unnecessary zippers. A rapier hung from her waist on her right side, making her left-handed. She also had a belt dagger. 

Stefan was also sixteen, though he was much bigger than Rumia. Actually he was much bigger than Peter as well. He was taller by almost a foot and outweighed him by at least a hundred pounds. Stefan had close cropped light brown hair and hazel eyes. He wore a ripped muscle shirt with deerskin leggings. He had a belt dagger but his fists were wrapped in leather strips and were quite large. Peter assumed he fought best bare handed.

Then there was Balt, a fourteen-year-old boy a little smaller than Rumia. He had flipping white hair and cold gray eyes. For someone so young, he had the look of steel in his eyes. Two short swords crossed on his back and he also carried a quarterstaff �" though to him it was the size of a regular bow staff.  Peter was a little shocked that Balt ranked the highest among the Lost Boys.

“Well met, Pan. I am the highest speaker of the Lost boys,” Balt said. “Following me is Rumia and behind her is Stefan. We make up the governing body of the Lost Boys when Pan is absent.”

“It is nice to meet you three.” Peter said offering them seats inside of Hangman’s Hollow, where they retreated after the introduction ceremony.

“I am the only one of us to transcend Pans. I was here for Tress and Syrill before him. Rumia arrived in Neverland right after Tress disappeared and Stefan came a decade ago.” Balt had said.

“There was enough conflict in the absence of Pan for you two rise through the ranks?” Peter asked. He assumed that whenever there was trouble a Pan would arrive.

“There is more trouble than you realize. Pans are only chosen in times of crisis. If a Pan is murdered, we are left to fend for ourselves until the next ‘crisis.’” Balt said icily. “So in many ways we are much more experienced than you and it would behoove you to listen.”

Peter got the sense they felt their power threatened. “No, Balt, you’ve got me all wrong. I’m not looking to usurp your authority. I may be general and Pan here, but we need to work as a team. I’ve already encountered a wereman. Those guys are no joke.” 

There was a noticeable sense of relief from the three soldiers. “We heard about your scuffle with the native wereman and the Chief of the Name, Ban Chua.” Rumia said picking at her nails with her knife. “Nerves of steel you got, but also a little dimwitted. Still though, it’s a shame you couldn’t kill that b*****d.” There was a look of confusion between the three boys and she clarified, “Chua, I mean. He’s worse than a wereman.” The three boys smiled.

Stefan spoke up for the first time. He had a deep, relaxed voice. “I fought a wereman once a few years back. Remember, Balt? I came back with its head, but I was out nearly a week from the injuries.” Balt nodded in agreement.


Peter and his new friends, the Three Speakers, talked for quite some time. Peter explained his life in London, which they were fascinated about, and his experiences so far, especially flying. In return, they explained some of the marvels of Neverland which were simply normal to them. They also explained some of the other dangers of Neverland, which Peter found helpful, though he wasn’t sure he could retain all the knowledge he was learning in one day.

One thing was clear however, the Three Speakers were a team and had bonds forged through battle, which nothing short of death could break. Peter felt like a fourth wheel at first but that was starting to fade.

“Transitioning to a new Pan isn’t easy for us,” Balt admitted. “But...we’re in this together. Rumia, Stefan and I have been run down since Tress disappeared.”

“That whole thing was just so...abrupt, you know?” Rumia added.

Peter felt their bonds strengthen as they opened up to him. He gave them all a reassuring smile, which helped reassure himself as well.

“So what do we do about all of this Dark Cove stuff?” Peter asked rubbing his hands together.

“Not so fast new kid, there’s still one ceremonial role you have to play.” Balt said, waving his finger. Peter felt it was weird to be reprimanded by a fourteen-year-old, but he kept quiet. “This one is not so bad though. You will need to travel with Rumia to the Arcen Islands, where the faerie fynesmyths and the Arcen blacksmiths are so you can be presented with your weapon.”

“My weapon?” Peter asked.

“Every Pan gets a ceremonial weapon made from fynesteel. It’s to symbolize your role as the faerie’s head honcho. And you’ll be going with Rumia since the Arcen Islands was her usual post before becoming Second Speaker.” Balt said.

“While you’re gone, Stefan will travel to the Bhedras and I will go to the Counters. It is customary in a time of war for Pan or a delegate to make a formal allegiance with any party not the enemy. In this case, we’ll talk to everyone since we are unsure of who is responsible.” Balt continued.

“We’ll meet back here in a week. That should give you enough time to travel to Arcen, the weapon to be finished, and make it back. From what I understand it’s already been started.” Rumia said.

Chapter Nineteen: Out In the Desert


“So how are we getting to Arcen, boat?” Peter asked.

Rumia looked confused. “You can fly.”

“Yea, but can you?” Peter asked confused

“You can teach me.” Rumia said with a face.

“Don’t you need faerie dust?” 

“Yes, give me some.”

Peter wasn’t sure how to do this so he just raised his hands over Rumia’s head and clapped his hands a couple times. Nothing happened and Rumia just stared at him. After a moment Rumia took Peter’s hands and put them on her shoulders and pressed hard. Rumia glowed for a second.

“Happy thoughts, right?” Rumia asked.

“How’d you know?” Peter asked.

“I’ve been here a lot longer than you, nigh on twenty years. It’s about time I got to fly.” Rumia said rubbing her hands together.

“Well take the lead, I have no clue where I’m going.” Peter said.

Together they flew towards the Arcen Islands in the Southeast. Rumia told him about Neverland, being round like the Earth and there were other lands very far, far away. Flying nor sailing could reach them. The only way they knew they existed was through the Mirror Scry on the western coast of the Counters. The Mirror Scry could contact far away lands using reflections from the sun. 

“Like an SOS but powered by magic?” Peter asked.

“Exactly, only most times it’s impossible to send anything. If you go out far enough, the seas are dangerously rough from vortex storms.” Rumia said. “In fact, we haven’t had contact with any other land in two hundred years.”

They continued on flying for a day. They flew high enough that they caught a wind current that more than tripled their speed. Rumia began to tell Peter of the Lost Boys more recent skirmishes with the forces of Neverland. There was an attack of cannibals from a coven on the east coast.

“They had just woken up from a five hundred year sleep and were pretty cranky.” Rumia said nonchalantly. “They got one look at Stefan and turned the other way. That’s the fight that earned him Third Speaker.”

“He’s pretty big. I’m surprised he’s only Third.” Peter said.

“Over Balt and I? You don’t think we look ferocious enough?” Rumia asked indignantly.

“That’s not what I�"“ Peter began.

“I’m just kidding, Peter.” Rumia said laughing. “I actually didn’t earn Second Speaker from a battle, though I’ve consistently proven myself since. There was an epidemic fifteen years into my life here. It caused the faeries to become completely still and all wood would crumble to dust when touched. When the faeries are incapacitated, all nature starts to die in Neverland. I swam to the Counters to retrieve a cure from the Mirror Scry. He’s a pretty magical force himself. He’s supposedly the oldest non-faerie here.”

“Swam?” Peter asked impressed.

“Well I had a boat for a lot of the way back but the way there, I swam most of the way. I did have help from the mermaids though who provided a nice current so it took half the time. They also floated up some food once in a while. Never eat mer-food unless you have to, Pan. Trust me on that.” Rumia said.

They flew like this for hours. Eventually a horizon started to form. As this was happening, Peter noticed the air was dryer here than on the mainland or in the Bhedras.

After landing, Peter immediately started sweating. 

“It’s not tropical weather like the Bhedras or the warm summer feeling of the Nevertree area, but it’s like a consistent 105 degrees most of the time. The nights drop below freezing, though it’s too far south to get snow.” Rumia informed him.

“There’s snow in Neverland?”

“You’re full of questions. But yes, a lot of the northern mainland and most of the Counters get snow. Neverland does have season changes, just not as quickly as the Aging Land and the Nevertree never changes weather and neither do the Bhedras.”

“Interesting.” Peter said.

They walked for a little bit until rock outcroppings made it too difficult to navigate by foot. Rumia told him the Arcen Islands were a vast desert chain with huge outcroppings of different special kinds of rocks. 

“That’s their economic backbone, if you will�"rocksmithing. They make a whole lot of different tools and things for all of Neverland, including weapons. There’s a special rock here that concerns us though called fynesteel. Only faeries can smith it however.” Rumia said.

“So there are faeries here?” Peter asked.

“Yep, a small group of ‘smyths,’ with a ‘y,’ since they only deal with fynesteel.” Rumia said rolling her eyes.  

Peter smiled at her honesty; it made his uneasiness relax a bit. Peter had been on edge since becoming Pan. Why was he special enough to be made the general of an entire army to protect an entire world? Peter didn’t see it. Tinker Bell had assured he was and he’d see it in due time, but Peter wasn’t so sure.

Rumia and Peter made camp for the night. Rumia warned it would get below freezing so Peter wondered how they would stay warm. When Peter raised this question, Rumia looked at him in shock.

“You don’t know how to produce the Terradome?” Rumia asked carefully.

“No, of course not. Why would I know how to do that?” Peter asked incredulously.

“That’s it. We’re dead.” Rumia said kicking the sand around with her feet.

“What the hell is a Terradome? And why would I know how to make it?” Peter asked, getting worried.

“The Terradome is one of the signature faerie spells. It’s why the Nevertree area never changes in weather. The faeries keep a magical aura around the area, allowing them to control the weather. They like their forest woodlands, so it’s usually sunny with occasional rain to incur massive plant growth.” Rumia said angrily. “And as a Pan, you are endowed with their magic, you should be able to make one. Why haven’t they shown you?”

“Like, I know. I haven’t had a chance to see Tinker Bell since becoming Pan. Maybe she’d know.” Peter said apologetically.

After a moment of frustrated silence Peter asked, “How exactly is it made?”

“Peter, I really do not know. If I knew, we’d have one.” Rumia said dejectedly. “We have at best two hours before the sun is completely down. I’m going to try and find something to make a fire in this decrepit wasteland.”

Rumia stalked off, leaving Peter alone. When she was gone over an hour, Peter started to think she wouldn’t come back and he couldn’t blame her. Peter’s insecurities really set in. Was the Terradome magic so basic, the faeries didn’t even think they needed to tell him? Peter only knew how to fly. He was convinced he was the worst Pan to carry the name. He was thinking about just flying back home, to London. But he never really considered that home more than just a place to sleep. London was no longer his home with his parents gone. Peter’s memory of his parents started to surface, something he usually avoided at all costs.

A lot of the time since becoming Pan, Peter thought about his parents and whether they would be proud. He tried to keep the dark thoughts at bay because he knew to keep flying, he’d need the happy thoughts. Peter again pushed his memories away.

The weather started to really get cold and Rumia was nowhere to be found. Peter huddled against a rock and really let his depression get a hold of him. He thought of his parents’ embrace around him. They wouldn’t fault him for failing at being a Pan. They’d accept him for who he was, no matter what. He started to feel warm from his memory.

“Peter!” shouted a voice.

Peter looked up to see Rumia walking towards him, a faint blue aura around their area.

“Rumia, where have you been?” Peter asked, rushing to his feet.

“You did it! I knew once you started to freeze, you’d figure it out.” Rumia said happily. “Though you did have me worried. And a little cold but that never hurt anybody.” She slapped him on the shoulder.

“What do you mean?” Peter asked shrewdly.

“Well, you Pans are all kind of the same. You’re only ever really good in a crisis. Rest of the time, you leave it up to us Lost Boys.” Rumia said. Then she added “I’m also kidding.”

“Kind of.” She said after another moment. Then Rumia laughed and dug into the sand. She said it was something the Arcens do for a makeshift bed. Since it was pretty warm in Peter’s Terradome, he took off his outer layer and laid it down as bedding. 

To himself, Peter smiled that he had accomplished something in the face of what he thought was a very cold, cold death.

Chapter Twenty: Glytstone Castle

The next morning, Peter and Rumia awoke and ate a breakfast of jerky and cheese that Rumia had in her pack. They picked up and left their makeshift desert beds. When they shot into the air, the weather became instantly drier and hotter, courtesy of the Terradome collapsing. 

About midday, they reached the town of Basalt, which Rumia said would be just fine if they were there for any normal weapon or trade items. The Arcens generally preferred to keep visitors at arm’s length. They had to fly fast for three more hours before they reached the capital, Feldspar. 

Peter was in awe of the city and it was by far his favorite he had seen yet. Unlike Basalt, which had modern homes made from rock, Feldspar looked like a medieval fiefdom. It was a sprawling city, surrounded by a giant rock wall. In the center was an enormous castle hewn entirely of rock. It must have been some kind of special rock because when viewing at an angle it glittered brightly. The rest of the city fell below it, with huge roads and manor houses, markets and even slums, hewn entirely out of rock.

“At certain angles, everything glitters.” Peter said to Rumia

“Yep, that would be glytstone. It’s one of the signature seven rock types found only on the Arcen Islands. It’s also the most common.” Rumia said.

They flew over a compound that looked like Tideso’s blacksmith area back in Falcon’s Perch. Peter assumed they’d be heading for somewhere similar since he was there to obtain a weapon.

“Didn’t we just pass a smith shop?” Peter asked.

“Yep, but we’re not headed there. We’re going to Glytstone Castle. The faeries are guests of honor here and have their shop in the castle close. Plus, like Balt said, we have to give a customary heads up to each nation that we’re about to go to war. That’s your job, buddy.” Rumia said. “Plus, Princess Amelia is pretty cute. I think you’ll get along just fine.”

Peter blushed but kept quiet.


They arrived at the front gate of Glytstone Castle. They landed and waited until a voice shouted from a parapet to them.

“Is that Rumia? Blessed Originals, it is good to see you back!” the voice yelled.

“Ah, Reinhold, it is good to see you too. Open the gate and let us pass. After we meet with the king, we’ll come find you.” Rumia said jovially.

The gate raised just enough to let them pass. The gate was massive and hewn from a browner stone than the rest of the castle. Peter was in awe of whatever could make that gate lift without modern technology.

They entered what Peter assumed to be the keep, if he remembered his history correctly. It was bustling as was customary for a castle this large. They passed the stables and entered into the castle close. There were servant houses on one side and on the other were slightly bigger houses.

“It’s called Merwyn Place, where we’ll be staying. Those are for guests, dignitaries, and extraneous family members.” Rumia explained. “Also, the king’s mistresses, should he decide to have them,” she added darkly.

Finally they made it to the greeting room, though the throne was empty. A guardsman, named Tully, went to bring in the king.

At long last, he arrived. He wasn’t very old, as Peter had thought he’d be. He had a close shaven beard and a full head of brown hair with just a touch of gray. He wore a circlet made of entirely diamond instead of the heavy gold crown Peter was expecting. 

“Rumia! It has been too long! Amelia will be glad to see you.” He said hugging Rumia. “And when she’s asleep, we will have to go to Rumor’s Mill and play some cards.”

Peter was still in shock of over this atypical king that he almost didn’t hear himself being introduced.

“Amalt, this is Peter. He is the 154th Pan of Neverland.” Rumia said. “Peter, this is King Amalt Shale, ruler of the Arcen Islands.

“Ah, Peter Pan. It fits.” Amalt said, shaking his hand. “I suppose you’re here for your ceremonial blade.”

“That, as well as a formal notification.” Rumia said.

“Uh oh. I always hate it when you people say that.” Amalt said, retreating to his throne.

Rumia told Amalt about the murder of Tress and the dangers of Dark Cove. She also explained that Balt and Stefan had gone on to the other factions in Neverland to glean support or indifference, but also to find the enemy.

“Surely you knew better than to think of Arcen as an enemy, Rumia.” Amalt said waving it off. “We’ve been in support of the faeries for centuries. Their Terradomes make it much easier to mine rock outside of towns. We’ve been in an endless golden age because of them!”

“Still, though,” Amalt continued, “it is troubling to hear this news. You can expect Arcen’s support in the matter. Will you be needing anything outside of your customary blade, Peter Pan?” 

Peter wasn’t sure how to answer. Luckily, Rumia did for him. “We haven’t quite gotten the scope of the danger yet, so no. Just the blade. But you know you’d be the first we call on, Amalt.” 

King Amalt spread his arms open and smiled. “Good. Now, then let me fetch Amelia, and she will escort you to your quarters in Merwyn Place. I expect you’ll find them just as you left them, Rumia.”

“You’ve kept my lodgings?” Rumia asked incredulously.

“For someone who has done Arcen such a great service, like yourself, they will always be welcome here.” With that, Amalt disappeared and reappeared with a beautiful girl of about sixteen. She had blonde wavy hair and hazel eyes. Her skin was smooth and pale. 

Rumia whispered, “I told you. Now pick up your jaw.”

“Rumi!” the princess squealed and barreled into Rumia.

“Hey, Ames, I hope things have been well.” Rumia said. “I wish I could say you look older, but endless youth is the nature of this land.”

“Hey, hey! I age. Just…slowly.” Amelia said.

“Ames, this is Peter, he’s our new Pan.” Rumia said. At this, Amelia curtsied to Peter and said, “Well met, Peter Pan. It would be my pleasure to escort you and Rumia to your lodgings.”

“T-thank you, Princess. Well met indeed.” Peter sputtered. Rumia smirked.

They left the main castle and headed back towards Merwyn Place. 

“Ames, can you please send Reinhold to us after his shift?” Rumia asked.

Amelia blushed and said, “Oh you two are cute. Of course I’ll send for him.”

It was Peter’s turn to smirk. Rumia gave him a dark look.

They reached a house in Merwyn Place. It was a decent size, made out of a reddish colored stone that was very tactile. Peter thought it looked like wood, in fact when when he touched the wall it was much stronger. 

“Rougestone.” Amelia said, noticing. “One of our signature rocks.”

“What are all seven of them?” Peter asked.

“Glytstone, fynesteel, rougestone, hartspar, lunalith, dolobro, and vulstone.” Amelia said rattling off on her fingers.

Inside the rougestone house was a very well decorated and comfortable home. There were comfortable chairs and couches, a large fireplace for the cold nights and a kitchen with beautiful granite countertops. Peter was relieved to see some normal rocks that he was used to.

“Well, take rest here for tonight. I’ll send for Reinhold. Tomorrow, if you cross the castle close, you’ll find the faeries fynesteel smythshop.” Amelia said.

She walked to the door. She turned back and said to Peter, “It was nice to meet you. I’m sure you’ll be a wonderful Pan.”

Peter blushed.


Chapter Twenty-One: Aegis

Reinhold came a little after dinner. Rumia, Reinhold and Peter talked until about midnight when a knock came from the door. In a traveling cloak was King Amalt, minus his diamond circlet. They all went to a tavern outside the castle grounds called the Rumor’s Mill and played rummy until three in the morning. Peter found it very relaxing. He also found the monarch of Arcen a very easygoing man, something that seemed to rub off on his people. 

Arcen people were polite, which confused Peter because Rumia said they liked to keep visitors at arms length. When he brought this up, Amalt answered him.

“We do not take lightly to people trying to exploit our rich mines. We are very easy going until someone threatens our peace…or a friend needs us.” Amalt had said with a wink.

So, naturally, Peter and Rumia had trouble waking up when there was a runner knocking at the door. Rumia grumbled and threw a cup at the door.

“Go away!” she yelled.

All of a sudden there was a crash from the kitchen. Peter and Rumia jumped up and looked at each other. They smiled once they heard Reinhold cursing.

“Bloody runners. Rumia, why do you have to yell so loudly?” Reinhold said as he gingerly got to his feet.

“Reinhold, did you fall asleep on the table?” Peter asked.

“Shut up, Peter…” Reinhold said as Rumia and Peter laughed.

“Peter it’s time to go visit the smythshop.” Rumia said smelling her socks and shrugging. She pulled them on. Peter just looked at her.

“What?” Rumia asked.

“Nothing, let’s just go.” Peter said.

Reinhold left them at the main gate, having to report to duty. Rumia and Peter continued across until they started to see the glow of a golden aura. Peter’s arm hair perked up at the air of magic.

They knocked on the door of a factory hewn out of what looked like regular limestone. It had many chimneys that were smoking and a lot of banging was coming from the open windows. An old faerie with gray beard stubble and a loupe in his eye answered.

“What?” he asked brusquely.

“Quarn, it’s me, Rumia Riverback. Take that bloody loupe out of your eye and look at me properly.” Rumia said.

The old faerie removed his loupe and stared at them for a moment. “Who’s he?” he asked, turning around back into the factory, but leaving the door open. They followed him in.

“This is Peter, the new Pan.” Rumia said.

Quarn stopped and turned around fast as lightning, loupe back in his eye, examining Peter. “Really? A bit slight, aren’t you?” Quarn said.

“Well, uh…” Peter started. Rumia just shook her head.

“We’ve finished most of your weapon, Pan.” Quarn said heading further into the factory.

“You have? How’d you know what I would want?” Peter asked.

“No, Peter, don’t�"“ Rumia said but Quarn interrupted her.

“Think you get a choice, do you boy? Our time is precious here and you’re called in as Pan and cut the line. ‘Oh he needs his blade now!’ Well, I’ve told you Pans time and again, we’re not your faerie slaves. You serve us. You’re lucky you even get a fynesteel blade.” Quarn rambled.

“I’m…I’m sorry.” Peter said.

Quarn immediately stopped talking and looked at him. “You’re the first Pan to apologize.” Quarn made a face and walked away.

“This blade is special. It is a special production we’ve been working on. One side of it is the regular fynesteel. The other side is lunalith.” Quarn said spinning to reveal a blade of such magnificence, Peter was scared to touch it.

It was silver-white on one side and pitch black on the other. The blade wasn’t quite sword length. It wasn’t a dagger either. Peter guessed it was about the size of a gladius. In the hilt on both sides was an emerald, like in the ring on Peter’s finger Un’abe.

“Well, pick it up. We have to balance it.” Quarn said.

Peter picked up the weapon and it glowed. Peter twisted it in his hand and then tossed it back and forth. He felt his blood rise. Ancient memories of Pans past knew how to wield the short sword. In the reflection of the silver side, Peter saw his eyes glow green. All of a sudden, Quarn snatched the blade from his hand.

“Nope, nope. All wrong.” He said.

“W-what? No, it was perfect!” Peter said. He felt strange now, as if part of him had been ripped away.

“Ah, the allure of fynesteel. It truly is a fearsome metal.” Quarn said. “This blade is tailored to you. Even down to the Native emerald in the hilt, to match your ring. You’ll crave this weapon like no other. Also, the longer someone else besides holds this sword, the hotter it will get.”

“Really?” Peter asked. “Wait how’d you know about my ring?”

“When we say one of a kind weapon, we mean it.” Quarn said proudly, yet ignoring his question. “Should you ever lose it, it shall find its way back to Hangman’s Hollow. It can also cut through basically anything, unless it’s backed by magic. Even then, throw some elbow into it, should cut right through. We also decided to add a Bhedran gemstone like the one Tress had since that sapphire proved to be quite useful in the end.”

Quarn turned around and handed Peter the blade again. It felt even better then second time. “That’s more like it.”

Peter smiled and swung the weapon around a bit. Two faeries came over and put a rock in front of him

“This is vulstone, the densest rock in all of Neverland. No magic though so just try slicing.” Quarn said.

Peter raised the sword and brought it down sharply. It sliced through the rock with relative ease. The blade seemed to glow with hunger.

“Name?” Quarn asked.

“Peter?” Peter said confused.

Rumia shook her head and Quarn slapped Peter’s temple. “Of the sword, stupid. For the inscription.”

Peter furrowed his brow, staring at the sword. It was easily the most beautiful thing he ever owned. It was one handed and light, silver and black and able to cut through anything with vicious speed. Peter then remembered a word that fit perfectly.

“Aegis.” Peter said. “It means violent windstorm, like a hurricane.”

Quarn smiled at him. “Let me see Aegis then.”

Fire flared white hot from the faerie’s fingertip and he inscribed Swiftly, silently, 154th Pan of Neverland, into the black side of the blade. Around the emerald gemstone, he inscribed the name of the sword.

Quarn returned the sword to him and handed him a simple leather belt with a scabbard adorned with illuminated illustrations of the Nevertree. Peter, once again, saw his eyes flare like green fire in the silver side of Aegis and this time, the emerald flared in return.


Chapter Twenty-Two: Frozen Over

Balt arrived at the Counters faster than he imagined. He had made this trip many times in the past so he wasn’t surprised. He kept his footing on the long, flat, slippery ice that made up most of the Counters. He arrived in the direct east instead of the southeast because the water travel distance was shorter and easier.

Balt was fond of the Counters. Something inside of him called to the frozen over nation. It reminded him of himself - deep, reflective and cold. He chuckled to himself, remembering that he was actually only fourteen years old. Balt spent two days ice-skating and the occasional snow shoeing across the Counters. They were large, but skating across the ice was a very effective means of travel. He passed a couple of towns he would have normally stopped at for various reasons but this trip was meant to be quick.

The main city of the Counters, Sernfell, was a city carved of ice and rock. It was a very beautiful city. Balt skated into the main gates of Sernfell and navigated the streets he knew well.

Something was a little odd though. There weren’t as many people around. If it was the cold season, Balt would have understood, but this was actually summer for the Counters. Balt set his eyes toward the frozen manor house where the Mirror Scry lived with the ruler of the Counters, Fiern Coral. 

Balt knocked on the door and one of the ladies they called Icers, answered. She was gorgeous of course, but had sad, large eyes and very pale skin. They reminded Balt of the flappers from his generation, however long ago that was now.

She let him in and led him towards the study where Fiern Coral sat. He was a menacing man with sharp features. If it weren’t for his yellow eyes, Balt would take him for a cannibal, but they all had red eyes. Today, his black hair was slicked back and Balt was reminded of a cat. Balt sincerely disliked cats.

“Ah, an emissary of the Lost Boys.” Fiern said. “And if I’m not mistaken, First Speaker Balt. My, how you haven’t grown. Immortality is gracious to only a certain few.” He raised a glass to Balt as he said this last part.

“Fiern Coral, minister of the Counters. I hope things are well.” Balt said ignoring the glass.

“Well, you know, things are…things” Fiern said with slight smile. “What brings you here, Speaker?”

“Another Pan has been chosen. Recent events have come to light about the Dark Cove and the evil lurking within it. In the best interest of Neverland, we will executing a campaign to root out whatever darkness lives there.” Balt said, folding his hands behind his back.

Fiern nodded as he took a drink. Balt had a feeling he wasn’t being taken seriously. “As they should. But let me ask, Balt, why were you not considered for Pan? Why have they brought in someone from the Aging Land? Surely your heroics are greater than anyone else.” 

“Tis not my choice. I do what I am told and I do it well.” Balt said stoically. “But let me ask Minister Coral, why your citizens are hiding in their homes and the ones I see, look afraid of even their own shadow.”

“Well, maybe it is you they are afraid of? Or possibly it is true what you say; they are afraid of their shadows.” Fiern said with a shrug.

Fiern stood up at this and moved towards Balt. Balt put his hand on his belt dagger and edged around slightly, putting his back to the door, in case of a quick escape.

“Well, Minister, what would make them so frightened of me? I’ve not been here in quite a while.” Balt said casually.

“You know, rumors travel.” Fiern said easily back. He kept making steps towards Balt.

“Rumors?”

“The faeries are on a conquest, using the Lost Boys to invade the other independent nations of Neverland.” Fiern said, stopping in front of Balt, staring down at him.

“How are we supposedly doing that?” Balt asked as he slowly drew his belt dagger.

“Something about cursing people’s shadow mind into weremen.” Fiern said. “Children’s nightmares, surely.”

There was a moment of silence and then Fiern attacked, a long, thin and wicked blade appeared from behind his back. It flew towards Balt’s neck. He had just enough time to duck beneath the blade and spin a backhanded stab with his belt dagger into Fiern’s stomach. But he missed because Fiern had jumped back.

There was enough space between them now. Balt holstered his belt dagger and drew his twin swords, Castor and Pollux from his back. 

“Really, Minister? Is this totally necessary? Why not just lie to me and let me walk free?” Balt asked.

“Well, there is a big plan. Everyone has their role, Speaker. Including you.” Fiern said, flourishing his twisted blade. He noticed Balt eyeing the sword and said “Ah, does Vanyr worry you?”

Before Balt could answer, Fiern threw the sword at him with inhuman like speed. Balt cartwheeled out of the way and landed crouched. He sprung towards Fiern who was unarmed. Fiern opened his hand and the sword flew back to him, just in time to block Balt’s attack.

They traded blows. Fiern’s speed was enough to match Balt using both swords as fast as he could. Balt started to sweat and broke away. He had to escape to let the others know what was going on.

“So, Minister, what is my role then?” Balt asked, panting slightly.

“Well, you came here before World War I in the Aging Land but there is a generally accepted event that is regarded as the catalyst.” Fiern said, checking over Vanyr.

“What is that?” Balt asked, standing up, generally interested.

“The assassination of Archduke, Franz Ferdinand.” Fiern answered.

Balt’s mind shifted gears. “So you plan to kill me and use me to start a war? You’re already starting a war, why bother?”

“Oh, boy, I’m not going to kill you.” Fiern said laughing his head.

Just then, the door burst open and a man in hooded cloaked came in. Balt was sure it was the Mirror Scry. He heard low muttering and the Mirror Scry’s hand glowed a fantastic bright red. Balt couldn’t move, he’d been immobilized. The Mirror Scry walked over to Balt and put his hands on his neck. Balt felt magic being poured into him and he was starting to lose control of his limbs.

“No, no, no, Speaker. I will not kill you.” Fiern said calmly sheathing Vanyr. “Peter Pan will kill you. And then he will kill the pirate captain for me.”


Chapter Twenty-Three: Suspicions

Peter had spent the next three days practicing with Aegis. He put it through all kinds of tests and was addicted to wielding the blade. Ancient memories of swordplay, embedded in him from Pans past, made up for ignorance at first, but Peter was quickly getting the hang of it. Peter managed to disarm Rumia on their third day of sparring without digging into the ancient memories.

“Okay, I give. I’m done. If you encounter anyone, between Aegis and flying, you shouldn’t have an issue.” Rumia gasped.

“This is fun.” Peter said. Also due to the faerie magic, he tired much more slowly than normal.

“Peter, what is that?” Princess Amelia asked.

Off in the distance a tiny golden dot came flying towards them with the speed of a rocket. 

“I think that’s a faerie, Pan.” Reinhold said from his place on the bench. He was battered and bruised from going up against Peter so much.

Sure enough, Peter’s enhanced vision made out Tinker Bell rocketing their way. After a minute, she arrived entirely out of breath, taking an immediate place on Peter’s shoulder.

“I’m glad I found you guys so quick.” She panted.

“Tink, what’s wrong?” Rumia asked sharply.

“Balt returned from the Counters and his meeting with Minister Fiern Coral. He’s in bad shape. He says he was ambushed and just managed to escape.” Tinker Bell rushed out.

“Who is Fiern Coral?” Peter asked.

“He’s the cold hearted leader of the Counters. Most people don’t like him there, but they’ve been prosperous.” Amelia said. Over the last three days, Peter and her had talked a lot of the happenings in Neverland, though the Counters hadn’t come up. Peter found her knowledge quite useful.

“Has Stefan returned from the Bhedras?” Rumia asked.

“Yes. He returned as soon as he got the news about Balt with Tiger Lily, Ban Chua and most of their warriors.” Tinker Bell said. Immediately, Peter got a horrible feeling.

“That was a mistake.” Peter said suddenly. All eyes turned towards him.

“What do you mean, Peter?” Reinhold asked.

Peter wasn’t entirely sure, but something in his brain was going off. He could sense the danger at hand, but more specifically, the danger of removing most of the Bhedra Islands’ protection.

“Why would they remove most of their forces?” Peter asked. 

“Balt said Coral was planning an attack on the Nevertree, using a flanking method with his weremen in the Dark Cove and troops from the Counters.” Tinker Bell said.

Peter shook his head, this was all wrong. It didn’t make sense. If the forces in the Dark Cove were strong enough to attack the Nevertree, they would have done so before there was even more forces there. Peter’s ancient memories had centuries of military strategy embedded in them.

“Tink, Rumia, we need to fly back, now.” Peter said quickly, sheathing Aegis and running towards the exit of Glytstone Castle’s armory. He shouted over his shoulder to Amelia and Reinhold, “Ames, Reinhold, tell Amalt what’s going on, and if he can, land forces on the southeast coast of the mainland. But leave enough troops to protect yourselves.”

“Peter, wait!” Amelia yelled. She ran up to him and kissed him on the cheek. “I’ll make sure my father follows your orders.”

“Stop kissing every girl, Peter.” Tinker Bell said, rolling her eyes.

Peter blushed. “Thanks, Amelia. Thank your dad for his hospitality for us.”

Off into the sky were, Tinker Bell, Rumia and Peter. 

It took three days again, but they made it back to the Hangman’s Hollow. There were Lost Boys and Native warriors all over the place. The faeries were flying about casting basic protection wards on everyone. They were preparing for an invasion. But Peter knew what would really happen, but before he opened his mouth, he would visit Balt first.

On one of the poufy couches in Hangman’s Hollow lay Balt. He wasn’t heavily bandaged, but there were four faeries weaving magic over him. He opened an eye as Peter approached.

“Ahoy, Pan.” Balt said weakly.

“Hello, Balt. How are you?” Peter asked. He waved to Rumia and Tinker Bell to wait outside.

“Well, Pan, I can say I’ve been better, but thanks to these guys, I’ll be up sometime today.” Balt said, gesturing to the faeries.

“That’s good to hear. I’m sorry, but I have to ask what happened in the Counters with Fiern Coral.” Peter said.

“He got the better of me. I was going through the Counters noticing people acting weirdly. I asked Coral about it and from behind me, two of his guard grabbed me. Luckily I kept my head enough to kill the two of them and ran out. Coral gave chase for a bit but I’m a little faster.” Balt smiled.

“I’m glad you were. What did Coral say?” Peter asked.

“He admitted to experimenting with weremen in the Dark Cove and that he’s been doing magical research there on unwilling subjects for decades.” Balt said.

“Unwilling subjects?” Peter asked.

“Well pirates mostly. I can’t really say it’s a shame since pirates are horrible people. Plus they smell weird.” Balt said wincing at the thought. “He said he would use everything he had in a two-pronged attack on the Nevertree. He’s spread rumors to his people about faerie imperialism. It’s caused quite a stir.”

“And he said all of this to you and then let you escape?” Peter asked dryly.

Balt’s face had a flash of darkness. It was gone as fast as it came, but Peter had noticed. “He didn’t let me escape. He admitted his plan and then I was grabbed. He intended to kill me. I’m lucky to be alive.”

“Uh-huh.” Peter said skeptically. “Where was the Mirror Scry during all of this scheming? Shouldn’t he be impartial?”

“For all I know he could be dead. It’s not like we’ve had communication with another land in centuries.” Balt said.

“That’s unfortunate. But hurry up and get well, as soon as you are, we’re setting out for the Bhedra Islands.” Peter said turning away.

Balt sat up straight. “The Bhedras? Are you crazy? Coral admitted his plan! He’s attacking here!”

“I’ve arranged for some of Arcen’s forces to march here in protection of the Nevertree. However, I do not feel right with the Bhedras entirely unprotected, most of their forces being here.”

Balt backed down, but still looked a little wired. “Very well. In just a couple of hours, we could be off.”

Chapter Twenty-Four: Battle Plans


Indeed within a couple of hours, Balt had taken his place with Rumia and Stefan behind Peter as he made his announcement to the faerie council. The council had decided to convene outside of their Nevertree court as to make it public to all of the allies gathered in the area.

“I know what First Speaker Balt has said, however I believe we should move to the Bhedra Islands.” As Peter said this, there was uproar. Peter held his ground; this was his first major decision that was made entirely by him since becoming Pan. This decision would set the tone for his entire time here.

“Young Pan, what gives you the knowledge to say this?” Arrogen asked.

“I believe we are the victims of a scheme. To gather us in one place and then they will strike where we are weak.” Peter said calmly. The din started to quiet at these words. Peter took it as a sign to continue.

“Could the forces of the Counters hold their own against the Lost Boys and the Bhedra warriors normally?” Peter asked.

“No. Of course not.” Arrogen said.

“Then why gather us into one place? We’d be an impossible force to contend with.” Peter answered.

“We do not know the power of the force in the Dark Cove! That is why.” Arrogen yelled.

“Arrogen, with all due respect, if the force in the Cove was that strong, wouldn’t we have been invaded already?” Peter asked dryly. There was absolute silence.

Peter again continued, this time to everyone.

“Inside of me, when I became Pan, all their collective knowledge and experience became a part of me. At the sound of this invasion scheme of Fiern Coral, my senses started to buzz,” Peter said. “They mean to invade the Bhedras, take over that nation with little opposition, then probably move on to Arcen, effectively surrounding the Nevertree from all sides.”

“Please Arrogen, you have to listen, Peter’s making sense.” Tinker Bell piped up from his shoulder.

“Also Arrogen, I have instructed King Amalt of Arcen to mobilize a force for the Nevertree’s protection, while we head on the Bhedras.” Peter said, now starting to feel the pressure of time; they needed to get moving.

Arrogen sucked his teeth for a minute. “Fine, fine. We’ll wait here for Arcen, along with three-quarters of the Lost Boys. Take all of the Bhedran warriors and the rest of the Lost Boys and make sure the Bhedras stay free.” Arrogen said, defeated.

After the council dissipated, Tiger Lily and Ban Chua ran to meet Peter and his Speakers. 

“Crow, I’d like to apologize for my foolishness. In my haste to prove my ability to lead and prevail, I rushed here without thinking.” Chua said, distraught about the turn of events.

“It’s fine Ban, just tell me the closest village that the Counters would aim for.” Peter said, shocked at Ban’s change in demeanor.

“That would be Moonpeak, Peter. It’s on the northwest coast of Pomona. It’s pretty high up and the water below is rough with rocks. It also is home to a large mermaid population along with crocodiles they use as pets.” Tiger Lily answered.

“Then that’s where we’re headed. How long will it take?” Peter asked, fearing the answer.

“If we can magically propel the boats full of everyone, about a day.” Ban Chua said.

Peter twisted his neck, closed his eyes and breathed heavily. He felt scared but he counted to ten and let the fear fill up his body and then when he couldn’t take it anymore, he opened his eyes and smiled. He was ready now. He felt as scared as he possibly could, nothing else could shake him now.

“Well, Tinker Bell, is there someone you can get to help us propel the ships?” Peter asked. Tinker Bell smiled immediately.

“Yep, my friend Serban. He’s been itching for another adventure since him and I broke Tiger Lily out of Spinner.” She flew off with the plan for her and Serban to meet them at the docks.

Peter, Balt, Rumia, Stefan, Tiger Lily and Ban Chua led all the forces they could to the fleet of native warships. They were wooden and beautiful with paintings of ferocious animals on the hulls and sails. Everyone was running around at the command of the Speakers.

Tinker Bell returned with a tan skinned, flame-haired fairy that Peter assumed was Serban, within the hour. They started covering the ships with gold dust.

“Peter! If you help us, we can leave sooner.” Tinker Bell yelled to him as she flew by.

“How can I possibly spread that much dust?” Peter called back. This time Serban answered as he flew by.

“You’re always around Tink and other faeries. You’re absolutely covered in dust, just fly over!” He yelled as he swooped by.

Peter took to the air and followed the two faeries in covering the ships in dust. Within half an hour, the ships were pulling against their anchors, as if they were begging to sail the open seas. At this, Tinker Bell, Serban and Peter cut all the ropes that moored the ships. They sailed out at an incredible pace, some clanking into each other. Tinker Bell just shrugged at Peter and Serban, who smiled.

“I bet my ships will get there faster than Tink’s” Serban said to Peter.

“I heard that!” Tink yelled over her shoulder as she flew towards Tiger Lily’s ship, Twisting Tiger. Serban just rolled his eyes and followed her, and Peter behind him.

Chapter Twenty-Five: Calm Before the Storm


The Bhedran clipper Aurelia was the special ship that housed the Chief of the Name Tiger Lily and tonight, her war general Ban Chua.

Ban stood at the prow, looking out over the sea. Tiger Lily spot him and decided to play nice. After all, his attitude had become very subdued and she worried it would leave him vulnerable in the coming fight.

“Hey, Ban.” Tiger Lily said taking a spot next to him.

He didn’t answer but merely nodded with a grunt. She took that as an invitation to continue talking.

“Can I ask what about you changed so much? I’m worried your occupied mind will get you killed.” Tiger Lily blurted out.

I’ve never really been one for subtlety. Oh well... Tiger Lily thought to herself.

“My bolts always find their marks.” Ban answered without turning to look at her.

“Seriously?” Tiger Lily scoffed.

“What? You want me to blurt out all my emotions like a pre-teen lady? I am not like that.” Ban said angrily.

“Well you’re acting like a pre-teen lady.” Tiger Lily huffed. “Who even says ‘pre-teen lady’?” she added.

“Fine.” Ban said turning around. “When you have power and then lose it it can go one of two ways. You either fight to regain it or you just have to accept that you were not fit to rule in the first place.”

“You can imagine the blow to my ego when I woke up one morning and realized I was not fit to rule. Even my suggestion to mobilize to the Nevertree was a horribly green mistake.” Ban said.

Tiger Lily was slightly shocked for a moment. Ban didn’t believe in many things but he always believed in himself, especially when no one else did. But now, she had taken that away from him as well.

“I’m sorry that you were the collateral damage from me retaking my inheritance.” Tiger Lily said.

“It’s not technically inheritance. The families vote which family rules.” Ban corrected.

“Can’t you just take it in stride? You are my war general. And not just mine. You are the war general for all of our people. I may lead them but you protect them.” Tiger Lily said. And those were the words that hit home. Ban looked down at his hands.

“You’re right. Absolutely right. And I will do that until I can no longer can move a muscle.” Ban said.

“Good.” Tiger Lily nodded, smiling.

Yeesh, finally I got that target off my back. Tiger Lily thought.


Peter lay in his quarters listening to the raucous waves hit the ship outside. He was trying to rest before the fight that he was about to lead against a hunch he had from a bunch of dead guys’ memories. He noticed a movement on his wall and noticed his shadow sitting cross-legged, tilting his head.

“Well you’ve been absent.” Peter said to his shadow dryly.

His shadow made a laughing motion and Peter just rolled his eyes. Then his shadow stood up and changed his appearance to someone familiar. At first Peter didn’t recognize who it was, but then noticed it looked like Balt.

“Balt? What about him?” Peter asked curiously.

His shadow transformed back into Peter’s outline and shook his finger at him. His shadow repeated this sequence one more time and then at the end, he became the shadow of a big wolfish creature, a wereman.

“Balt’s a wereman?” Peter asked. His shadow nodded. After a moment, his shadow pointed towards his blacked out window before turning back into a normal shadow. Then a second later a gold light appeared at his window. Peter opened it.

“Hey, Peter, is it okay if I come in?” Tinker Bell asked.

“Sure, Tink, what’s up?” Peter said.

Tinker Bell flew in and sat on his pillow, knees to her chest.

“Tink, what’s wrong?” Peter asked.

“You’ve grown into Pan very fast. You’re already good at it.” Tinker Bell said.

“All with no training! I remember you mentioned something about that…” Peter said jokingly, trying to lighten the mood.

Tinker Bell laughed. “I was kind of lying. There’s no training for Pans. They’re called in times of crisis. You think we ever have time to train them? Maybe...if they survived whatever it is they were called on to fight.”

“Really?” 

“Yep. Which brings me to this. Peter, can you promise me you’ll make it through?” Tinker Bell asked her eyes bright.

“Whoa, Tink, what’s this about?” Peter asked.

“Pans usually almost die in the line of duty. They’re heroes of course, it’s their job. But sometimes, they make it through and the more they fight, the stronger they get. Your worst odds are at first. But if you survive, you’ll be lauded as a hero in Neverland for eternity…with me...and, you know, everyone else.” Tinker Bell said.

“What?” Peter asked absolutely stunned.

“You would be so lucky to have me.” Tinker Bell said coyly.

“You’re a pixie, Tink. I’m a human.” Peter said carefully.

“So? Is it Tiger Lily? She’s always obsessed with Pans. Or is it Amelia from Arcen? You can tell me.” Tinker Bell said, digging deep.

“Uh, no Tink, it’s none of that. But you should realize you’re a pixie and I’m a boy. But you know, I do think you’re a pretty faerie�"the prettiest I’ve seen.” Peter said comfortingly. He was truly at a loss for what was going on.

Tinker Bell smiled slightly. “Let’s say I wasn’t. Let’s say I was a girl, what about then?”

Peter decided to humor her, since it was obviously impossible. He couldn’t really consider Tinker Bell a possibility since she was irreversibly a pixie. 

“Then you’d make me one lucky Pan.” Peter said with a small laugh and Tinker Bell shared in with a wide smile. “We have a long day tomorrow, you should go rest.” Peter said a little forcefully. She flew up from his pillow and kissed him on the cheek.

“Thanks, Peter. I’m sorry to get like that, we pixies are slightly emotional.” Tinker Bell said with a laugh. “It’s just, I feel responsible for you. It’s my fault you’re here.” She said. Then she flew out of his window leaving Peter very, very confused.

Peter lay back on his bed and thought about the conversation he just had. He had come to love Tinker Bell for bringing him here and helping him become a hero. He loved her feisty attitude and she was of course pretty, but most of the faeries had exquisite features so Peter didn’t really consider it. Peter just couldn’t look at Tinker Bell that way because she was of an entirely different species.

This led him to think of Tiger Lily and Amelia, but he just didn’t look at them that way. They were both pretty in their own ways. Their personalities were different; Tiger Lily was loyal with an air of mischievousness where Amelia was dutiful and a little ditzy. But Peter enjoyed their company as friends and was happy that he could rely on them, especially in a time of war. But then the thought of Wendy surfaced into his mind. If she could see him now and see him as the people of Neverland did....Peter’s stomach turned. That would make him happy.

Peter rolled over in his bed realizing that on the eve of war, he was worrying about his love life.

I’ve got to sort out my priorities, Peter thought as he laid to rest. But something else much more troublesome floated to his mind.

If Balt was a wereman, it raised a number of questions. How long had he been a one? Was it by choice? Was he a spy? Something was truly amiss here.

However, claiming the First Speaker to be a spy right before a big fight, that would throw the Lost Boys into dissent. Peter would just have to keep an extra eye on him.


Chapter Twenty-Six: The Battle of Moonpeak

The ships landed at the docks of the village called Wavesea. Half of it was on the beach sandbar and the other half was made of docks and floating wood platforms. It served as a trading post, a major fishing enterprise and a main docks for warships.

From Wavesea they marched on to Moonpeak. It wasn’t a very long walk; it took about half a day. It was a small town, used mainly for look out and weather purposes.

When they arrived, the villagers were in the middle of an evacuation. Cloud, the leader of the village saw the ships coming from the Counters.

“I sent word to Tiger Lily at the Nevertree, but it seems you already knew.” He said when they arrived ahead of their own army.

“Pan here had a feeling this would happen. Are they close enough to see with a looking glass?” Ban Chua answered.

“Yes, Ban, it seems that there are weremen aboard their ships.” Cloud said.

There was a small panic around the group but Peter’s eyes just met with Balt’s. There was a distant look in his eyes. Peter’s hair was starting to prick on end; danger was near.

“How much time do we have, Cloud?” Peter asked suddenly.

“About four hours before they make landfall.” Cloud answered.

Peter smiled. He had an idea, something that called back to a prank he thought of a lifetime ago in London. “That’s cutting it, but I have an idea.”

Since Fiern Coral had no idea they were there, Peter would use that to their advantage. Moonpeak was populated with hills and was very heavily forested. The bulk of the forces would hide in the trees and the hills, lying in wait.

“That’s perfect, I can help hide everyone with a fog illusion.” Serban said quickly.

So that’s what they did, Serban conjured up a fog that hid the army. Peter climbed a tall tree with Tinker Bell and Stefan. In the tree across the path, opposite of him was Serban, Balt, and Rumia. They waited quietly as they heard the forces of the Counters arrive. In the dark evening twilight, they saw the pale flicker of flames as they started to set the village on fire. Then there was the evil noise of an army yelling war cries. Shortly after that, wolf howls mixed in. Peter’s hair immediately stood on end.

The army started to move through the forest where Peter’s forces hid. Peter let them walk a little way unharmed; it was so when Peter gave the signal, they could attack the main body of the army right away and not just the front. After careful waiting Peter gave the signal, which was him crowing loudly. Then pandemonium ensued.

Everyone dropped from the trees and emerged from the hills crowing loudly in return to Peter. Coral’s army was visibly caught by surprise; some screamed, some dropped their weapons and ran away, though not many. But many stood frozen as the Lost Boys and Bhedran warriors ran their blade through them. Unfortunately though, Peter realized they were outnumbered. Not by much, but the surprise advantage, though helped, didn’t even the score.

So Peter went to work with Stefan at his back, which he was extremely grateful for. Peter swung Aegis through a group of soldiers. Peter could see the firelight dancing in the silver side of his blade. Though Peter purposely avoided killing blows, preferring to simply disable or knock them out.

Once a wereman tore through his allies and picked up Peter clean off the ground. Before Peter could bring Aegis down through his arm, Stefan flew head first into the stomach of the wereman and began punching him in the face with his metal gauntlets. The wereman cried after a volley of heavy blows and didn’t move again. 

“Jeez, Stefan.” Peter said.

Stefan smiled. “Glad I could help, Pete.”

Together, with Tinker Bell snapping branches back to hit soldiers in the eyes, or trip them, the three of them made significant progress. After a point they could see Balt, Rumia and Serban not too far away, still going strong. Off to their side somewhere, they heard Ban Chua and Tiger Lily catcall to each other as they fought with their brethren.

Peter thought things were starting to go their way when a bright white light shined through the forest from the bottom of the peak facing the sea. The remaining enemies froze and stared at it. All at once they began transforming into weremen. Peter started to panic. They had dealt with a few weremen, but the rest of the army now weremen? 

Then Peter noticed Balt staring at the light too.

Balt’s hair stood on end and his twin swords, stained with blood fell to the ground. He started to change into a wolf and then picked up his blades again.

“Rumia! Serban! Run!” Peter yelled moving towards Balt. Stefan followed suit. 

Balt swung his arm towards Rumia’s head, she ducked and his arm caught Serban full body, sending him into a tree.

“Serban!” Tinker Bell screamed racing towards him.

Rumia pivoted and swung her rapier at Balt. Balt still apparently retained his swordsmanship because parried the blow but the force of it knocked Rumia back. Stefan threw a rock at Balt.

“Come on Balt! This way!” He yelled but then to Peter he said, “Follow us.”

Stefan took off towards the peak. Balt followed at an unnatural speed. Peter rolled out of the way and then gave chase. He felt bad about leaving the rest of army to fight weremen, but he didn’t have a choice�"Balt was one of theirs. 

They came to the edge of the peak. Stefan and Balt walked around each other like sumo wrestlers. Then Stefan growled, much like an animal and charged with a ferocious attack. Peter was shocked by how animalistic he was�"he was truly the outright scariest, entirely human warrior Peter had ever seen.

For a minute, Balt and Stefan were toe to toe. Stefan had been able to disarm Balt from his twin swords and throw them over the edge into the ocean. Balt howled, picked up Stefan entirely and flung him into a tree. Stefan crumpled. Peter wasn’t sure if he was dead but Balt howled and made his way towards Peter.

D****t. No time to check Stefan, Peter thought. Well, here it goes.

Balt flailed his arms wildly at Peter and he was forced to fly out of the way. From the air he saw Tinker Bell fly into the scene.

“Peter! Try not to hurt him!” She yelled.

“That might be a little tough, Tink! Check Stefan!” Peter yelled back angrily.

Peter dove at Balt, keeping his attention away from Tinker Bell.

Balt absorbed the blow. Every time Peter tried to plow Aegis through flesh, Balt would knock his arm away or knock Peter cleanly back. It seemed that Balt was playing with him. At one point, Balt didn’t even advance on Peter; he just stood there howling.

Peter took to the sky. When he knew he was out of sight, he flew down fast, landing on the back of Balt. Balt flailed and flailed but Peter stayed on. Balt got too close to the edge of the peak--.

“Peter, the edge!” Tinker Bell yelled.

Peter and Balt went over the edge. Tinker Bell flew after them. Peter tried to fly while holding on to Balt’s neck, choking him. He was absolutely failing until Tinker Bell helped him and they slowed their descent to a rough fall, nothing bone battering. 

They landed on a rock beach that must have only been visible during low tide. The force of the landing broke Peter and Balt apart. Balt seemed haggard now, breathing roughly and bleeding from the mouth where Aegis must have hit during the fall.

On this rock beach, Peter could see the fleet of ships that carried the army here. At the lead was a giant ship with a manic jester chained to the front.

“P-P-Peter..” Balt said.

“Balt? Are you in there?” Peter yelled.

Balt didn’t answer with words, he screamed; half human, half wolf. He charged at Peter, but it was slower than before. Peter sidestepped and brought Aegis down on him. weremen were created through magic, so Aegis didn’t cut cleanly through, but it left a severe wound on Balt’s shoulder.

Balt fell to his knees.

“Pan,” he panted.

Peter walked over to him and kept his sword out in front. Tinker Bell flew over and tried to heal the wound. But it was pointless; he was already changing back to a human and started to heal slowly, as wereman did.

“Coral, used the weremen curse. Made…hybrids. They’re…here.” Balt said exasperated. 

“What? What happened to you?” Peter asked.

“Coral…Mirror Scry…possessed me…lead you away from here…you were right about most of the plan…” Balt said.

“Most? Balt what else is going to�"“ Peter asked hurriedly, but an arrow protruded from Balt’s face.

“My, my, some people just can’t keep their mouths shut,” said a voice.

Two men appeared from behind Balt, the shorter one holding a crossbow.

“Hard to find good mates these days, isn’t it Smee?” The man said. His companion nodded.

Chapter Twenty-Seven: Parley


Both men were dressed like pirates; the taller one had black breaches and a long blood red cloak. He had slick black hair in a ponytail and thin black mustache. His shorter companion, Smee, had a red and white bandanna, heavy lamb chop facial hair and one gold eye and one silver.

“Who are you?” Peter asked. Peter was angry. One of his allies had been hoodwinked and forced to turn on his friends, forcing Peter to hurt him. Peter was right to be suspicious of Balt, but to have to almost kill a fourteen year old didn’t sit well with Peter. If this man was responsible, he was going to take him down.

“I am Captain James Killian,” he said with a flourish and a bow. “This here is my first mate, Smee.” Smee inclined his head.

“You’re one of Coral’s men?” Tinker Bell asked, clearly just as angry as Peter was.

James Killian made a face. “I’d say more like equals. What would you say, Smee?”

“Equals, indeed.” Smee said.

“Well, whoever you are, what do you want?” Peter asked.

They were within arms length now. Killian bent down to make sure Balt was still alive even though half of his body torn asunder by Aegis. Killian stood up and sighed, wiping his hand clean on his cloak. “Good thing weremen will heal if their heart is intact.”

“And as for what I want baby Pan,” He said simply “I want the world.”

“Wrong answer.” Peter’s anger boiled over him and Peter struck with lightning speed. Killian spun backwards, leaving Peter off balance from his attack.

“Wrong move.” Killian said stiffly. He drew a sharp, thin, rapier. He whacked Peter with the flat side of the blade, causing Peter, who was already off balance, to fall onto the rocks.

“Peter!” Tinker Bell yelled.

“Peter Pan?” Killian asked, laughing hysterically. “What a name, what a name.”

Killian put his sword point to the tip of Peter’s throat. It drew a tiny bit of blood. Killian wasn’t surprised to see the dark blue blood of Pans but it still made him feel on edge.

“Do you know, Peter Pan, you will be the sixth Pan that I have killed?” Killian asked.

Peter just groaned, trying to unpin himself from the sword.

Killian crouched over Peter. “I know a secret about you Pans.”

“W-what is that?” Peter asked.

“The more you fight, the stronger you get.” Killian said.

“So?” Tinker Bell asked.

Killian stood up and removed his sword from Peter’s throat but kept it above his head. “So the more Pans I kill, the stronger I get.” Killian revealed. “And to think, I’ve already killed five.”

Smee started to giggle as Killian brought his sword high, preparing for the final blow on Peter.

“No! Parley!” Tinker Bell screamed.

“That’s not a real thing, doll.” Killian said mildly amused.

“Take me, I’m worth more.” Tinker Bell said.

“Killing a pixie, just allows you to be reborn. I don’t get any stronger from crushing you with my fingers, love.” Killian said.

“No, but the Mirror Scry would drain me of my dust, if he has thrown in with Coral.” Tinker Bell said.

“Oh you don’t know the half of it! This is exciting; to think, I alone know the entire story and how it ends.” Killian said.

“So will you take me instead?” Tinker Bell asked.

“Tink, no…” Peter groaned.

“Fine, that’s seems a fair deal for now. But I will leave a mark. To make you remember of the little pixie that gave her life for yours.” Killian said. He brushed his rapier across the top of Peter’s left hand. Peter screamed and cradled his hand. It went immediately numb.

“Goodbye, Peter Pan.” Killian said as they walked away.

Tinker Bell flew to his cheek for one last kiss and flew with them.

They walked towards a small rowboat and headed back towards the pirate ship with the jester chained on the front. Smee was able to lift Balt’s unconscious body over his shoulder with no problem. Peter made note not to underestimate him in the future. He then noticed the light that changed the army into weremen was coming from a giant mirror on that ship.

Peter ripped off a piece of clothing and tied it around his wounded hand. It seemed it could be healed with no ill effects other than a nasty scar.

Peter noticed Balt’s twin swords at the edge where land met the sea. Peter went over and grabbed them. He went back to Balt had laid and removed the back scabbards and donned them, sheathing them. After a moment, he also took Balt’s belt dagger.

A sudden idea came to Peter.

He took to the air and flew fast towards the ship. As Killian, Smee, and Tinker Bell got on the main deck, Peter sailed overhead. He saw many pirates surrounding them, catcalling to him. Peter drew Balt’s twin swords and wound up.

“This is for Balt,” he whispered to himself.

He threw Castor and Pollux as hard as he could towards the mirror. They stuck right into the center. Cracks formed quickly and the light flickered. Then the mirror shattered and they were plunged into momentary darkness. Peter knew there was no hope to rescue Tinker Bell with so many pirates on hand.

“Tink, I’ll come for you!” Peter yelled.

“Sooner rather than later!” She yelled back.

Peter smirked sadly and flew away back towards Moonpeak.


Chapter Twenty-Eight: Aftermath


The news that Balt and Tinker Bell had been taken hostage had not gone over well. Arrogen was furious with Peter and though it was hardly his fault, Peter blamed himself.

After the mirror had cracked, the artificial light that forced the pirates into weremen faded and Coral’s army retreated. The weremen fight lasted only an hour and in that short time, they suffered casualties in the thousands.

The Battle of Moonpeak was two weeks ago and now Peter sat in Hangman’s Hollow with Rumia, Stefan, Tiger Lily, Ban Chua, Serban and Princess Amelia who had accompanied her father’s army to serve as the royal delegation.

“So we know that The Cove serves as the experiment grounds where they breed the weremen.” Serban said. He had been particularly distraught at the loss of Tinker Bell. Upon hearing the news, he had flown off towards the coast, but the jestered ship had already set sail.

“And that they use a magical light guided by a mirror to force them to change.” Rumia said. “That creates a strategical weakness if we can destroy the mirrors before they can use them.”

“But there’s something else that no one’s addressed yet,” Stefan said “Why was Balt affected by the light? Peter what happened after you went over the cliff with him?”

Peter stared darkly into the roaring fireplace. He slowly turned around.

“This can not leave the room. It would cause an already bad situation to turn worse.” Peter said heavily. “After I hurt Balt enough, he started to talk. On his visit to the Counters, he was ambushed and turned against his will. They turned him into a wereman. Just as he was revealing something, a man stopped him and took his body.”

“What man?” Tiger Lily asked.

“A pirate captain. His name is James Killian.” Peter said. “He says he’s an equal to Coral. He’s ruthless and was ready to kill me and Tinker Bell offered herself as a trade. I was left with this scar as a reminder.” Peter raised his hand to show the scar which had turned a nasty shade of blue.

“Sounds just like Tink...” Serban said sadly.

“Well what do we do now?” Amelia asked

“I’ll have to think it out.” Peter said.

“Haven’t you thought enough? You led us to Moonpeak. We suffered major casualties. Your First Speaker is now missing. The only person who truly believed in you to be Pan was taken as well. Maybe you should let the people who actually belong in this land do the heavy lifting.” Ban said standing up to face Peter.

“You do realize I didn’t ask for this.” Peter said not backing down. His emotions were on autopilot for the last two weeks, but he was at his breaking point. It also didn’t help that he hated Ban to begin with. “Oh, and let’s not forget who even brought us to Moonpeak. You all were ready to fight a non-existent invasion at the Nevertree until I said something.”

At that pandemonium broke loose in Hangman’s Hollow as everyone fought to be heard. After a couple of minutes a punch flew through the air and connected with Peter’s jaw. Then Stefan pounced on Ban with Tiger Lily and Rumia struggling to pull him off. Once Peter’s eyesight slid back into focus he walked straight out of the Hollow. He stared up at the sky. He was breathing heavily.

One by one his group filed out of the Hollow and surrounded him. 

“Peter...” Amelia started.

“I don’t want to hear it right now.” Peter said.

“No Peter, your dust. Look.” Rumia said crouching at Peter’s feet.

Peter saw that he was leaking dust worse than the Titanic leaked water. 

“What’s happening?” Peter asked hysterically. At that moment a faerie joined them. It was Forsa, the magical expert to the faerie council.

“Well, well. So it is true.” He said with an air of curiosity.

“What’s true? Don’t be cryptic.” Peter spat, not in the mood.

“Easy now, Pan. Anymore exertion and you’ll be a Pan no longer.” Forsa said.

“What?”

“You and Tinker Bell are indeed linked. Her dust was what got you here. It was used as the basis for you to become Pan. This is rare, but if the faerie that helped create your powers is gone, well theoretically so are your powers.” Forsa said.

“Shouldn’t there be some kind of loop hole or something? That seems incredibly frustrating.” Peter growled.

“Well, like I said, it is incredibly rare. We faeries are indeed long lived. And hard to capture against our will. One does wonder how you let that happen. I’ll be sure to inform Arrogen of your deterioration.” Forsa said hovering away.

“Well what can I possibly do?” Peter called back to him.

“Find something worth while, Peter Pan. Something worth while.” Forsa said.

There were a few moments of terrified silence. All animosity forgotten between the group, they collectively realized the danger of the situation present.

And then just when he couldn’t stand the silence anymore, Peter crouched ready to spring into the air. 

“Peter! What do you think you’re doing? If you fly, you’ll definitely lose what’s left of your powers.” Tiger Lily shouted.

“And if I don’t, I’ll only be at half strength for who knows how long. What good am I if I have to fight with reservation? I might as well not fight, I would just be a liability.” Peter said.

“Well then where are you going?” Rumia asked.

“Like Forsa said, to find something worth while.” Peter said. And with thoughts filled of Tinker Bell and his friends, he shot into the sky, except this time, he was heading back to London.


Chapter Twenty-Nine: Something Worth While


Peter had a shaky flight and landed back at his window utterly drained and exhausted. He felt the magic in him dip, but he figured he’d have enough to make it back.

Or enough for at least a crash landing Peter thought to himself. 

One of the things Peter was worried about was the amount of time he would have been gone. London would clearly go on without him but what about his aunt? Curiously, it was night again when he got back. As he slipped into his room he looked at the clock. He had only been gone an hour. Peter was shocked. Time in Neverland flew at such a quicker pace, he was there almost two months.

Peter laid on his bed. He knew where he wanted to go but he needed some sleep first. 


In the morning, Peter woke up and changed out of his Natives’ clothing and into normal clothes. They felt strange to him, foreign almost.

Neverland has made me feel more at home then this place ever has Peter thought.

His aunt, not suspecting that any life changing adventure had gone on upstairs, left breakfast on the table before she left like normal. Peter ate and walked to the door. He opened it finding John Darling standing there about to knock.

“Hello, Peter.” John said lowering his hand.

“Hey John, what brings you here?” Peter said a little icily, remembering the night they shut the door in his face.

That was actually last night. And maybe in retrospect I was kind of out of control. Peter thought.

“Can I come in?” John asked.

Peter let him in. “Sure.”

“Mom kicked dad out.” John said.

Peter was kind of taken aback. He would not have bet on that. “I’m sorry to hear that.”

“No you’re not. And I shouldn’t be either. Maybe it wasn’t your place to do what you did but somebody should have. I should have. Long ago.” John said sadly.

Peter took pity on his friend and tried to cheer him up. “Chin up. We both know you’re not much of a fighter. Even if you are black belt.”

“Shut up, Pete. Listen, I’m sorry. We’re sorry. I’ve actually never seen Wendy that upset. Her opinion of you changed a little bit, you know.” John said.

Peter’s heart raced a tiny bit. “Well, I was just doing what I thought a friend should do.”

“I know, I know.” John said. “Do you want to come and eat with Michael, Wendy and I? To talk about what happened? They would like to apologize too.”

“Well, I did just eat....” Peter said jokingly.

With that John and Peter met Michael and Wendy at a nearby diner. Peter felt strangely apprehensive. When he came back from Neverland, he didn’t really have an idea of what would be worth while. But he was beginning to think now that his friends and possibly a future with Wendy would be worth while. And now might be his chance to prove that he could be worth while to them as well.

Peter and John slid into the booth opposite Michael and Wendy. They had ordered food and there was some uncomfortable silence until Wendy spoke.

“Peter, I know I’ve never approved of you, but I’d like to offer a clean slate. Our lives are in the process of a new beginning. Things will be changing. I just don’t want us to lose you as a friend,” she said with a small smile and putting her hand on Peter’s.

“Yea, you were a real hero for us last night.” Michael said. “You helped us see what a bad guy our dad really was.”

“I’m sorry you guys have had to grow up with that. I was always jealous that you had loving parents while I had none. Family was something that always seemed elusive to me.” Peter confessed.

“Well, you can be part of ours Peter. What you did took so much more courage than any of us had.” John said.

“Well, I had a little bit of help...” Peter started. It was now or never.

“What do you mean?” Wendy asked.

Peter told them to meet him at Quarterpast Park which was the closest to his house once it was dark. They seemed a little confused and rightfully so, but Peter knew they would trust him.

Under the cover of night the three Darling children found Peter sitting on top of the swing set, dangling his legs. Peter purposely chose this position because of the street light behind him would have cast a long shadow, though at this moment his shadow was having fun on the slide to his left.

“What do you see as odd?” Peter asked the group.

“You’re afraid of heights. How’d even get up there?” John asked.

Peter was stunned for a moment. He had totally forgotten that he was terrified of heights. That was a fear so ingrained in him that he did not get on a plane to fly to New York to identify his parents’ bodies. And now he forgot that he was ever scared at all. Being Pan had truly changed him.

“Hmm. You’re right. But I’m not scared of heights anymore. And that’s also not what I meant.” Peter said. “Do you guys believe in magic?”

“Peter don’t be ridiculous. This is why you dragged us out here?” Wendy said. Her newfound faith in him was apparently shaky at best.

Peter smirked and then he crowed, signaling to his shadow to return to him. After a second, his shadow came prancing back into view and attached itself back where he belonged. Though this time he was waving vigorously at the Darling children. By their expressions, Peter knew he had them. He stood up on the swing set and they gasped a little bit as he backflipped down to them with the grace of an angel.

“What’s going on?” Michael asked.

“Like I said, I had help. I have friends from a special place, where if you don’t want to, you’ll never grow up. You can get away from the weight of the world and bask in the glory of infinite youth.” Peter said with a smile.

“Glory of infinite youth?” John asked skeptically.

“Yea, something like that. Seriously, just follow me. I promise I won’t lead you astray.” Peter said. Then he thought for moment. “Well actually, they’re in the middle of a civil war and we need all the help we can get.”

“What the hell are you on about?” Wendy said.

At that Peter shot into the air and did a flip, sprinkling her with dust before hovering in front of her, holding out his hand. “Will you just come or what?” Peter saw the answer in her eyes and grabbed her hand and she floated with him.

They seemed to float inside their own little world for a few minutes. Until Michael shouted “What about us?”

Peter called down to them. “Just think happy thoughts and follow me.”

“What about mom, Wendy?” John called. 

Peter saved her the answer. “I spent almost two months, maybe longer in this place. When I came back, it had only been an hour. You’ll be fine. Happy thoughts, John, happy thoughts.”

“No thanks, Pete. Michael and I will stay. Pick up the pieces. Wendy, your decision is on you. You’ve taken care of us long enough, we can manage for a little while.

Peter returned his attention to the beautiful red head in front of him. She had always hated him and now she finally looked at him with wonder and curiosity. “Peter, where are you taking me?” she asked delicately.

“To Neverland, of course.” Peter answered.


Chapter Thirty: Aboard the Jolly Roger


On the Jolly Roger, Tinker Bell sat in a cage, her wings drooped. She had been in this cage almost a month now and her hope of Peter finding her started to fade.

Peter will always find me. Plus by now he’s figured out that we’re linked. He needs me. Tinker Bell thought to herself. And knowing that Peter needed her gave her a burning satisfaction.

Smee came into the room and picked up her cage. She didn’t even bother to ask him what for. Not a single person she’d seen on the ship spoke to her, no matter what she tried.

Smee dropped her onto the captain’s desk. Killian was pacing around a miniature map of Neverland. 

“Thank you Smee.” Killian said.

Smee left and it was Tinker Bell and Killian. He strode over to her and opened the cage. “Don’t bother trying to fly away. These windows are bolted shut and the door is far too heavy for anyone other than me or a wereman.”

“Why are you letting me out then?” Tinker Bell asked.

“I’d like to have a civil conversation.” Killian said with with a flourish.

Tinker Bell carefully strode out of the cage. There was something in the air that drained her of her magic because she tried to fly and her wings felt like mountains on her back.

“Many, many, many years ago, I was graced with a fynesteel weapon.” Killian said as he drew his rapier. “It’s name was Silth. And though it had some nifty tricks as all fynesteel blades do, alas it was lost to time. Coral had another fynesteel blade created for me but with the added the ability so that it’s mere presence drains faeries of their magic. So sorry, love.”

Tinker Bell sighed. She knew she was in a bind. Though she was coming up with a plan, she decided to let Killian talk for a bit.

“So where is Balt?” Tinker Bell asked.

“Being prepped for his next outing on a different ship so don’t bother.” Killian said.

“How’d you get a fynesteel weapon? Only Pans get those.” Tinker Bell asked.

“They do? Interesting. I do believe I was given the sword.” Killian said scratching his chin. “Or did I kill a Pan for it? I’m not sure. I’ve killed so many Pans over the last century. I can hardly see their faces anymore.”

“Where did you come from?” Tinker Bell asked, getting frustrated with this silver tongued pirate captain.

“Some say from hell, some others say one day I simply appeared, sailing along the horizon.” Killian said sitting cross legged at his desk.

“Well what do you say?”

“I prefer a little of both.” Killian said with a wicked smile. “Much more romantic.”

Tinker Bell couldn’t help but smirk for a second. He might be evil but he had a certain flair that was admirable. It was clear why he was considered captain.

“Tell me why, pixie, you and that baby Pan have an unnatural connection. Of all my other Pan friends, they didn’t have pixie familiars.” Killian said.

“Who says we have an unnatural connection?” Tinker Bell asked defiantly.

“That is an answer in and of itself and just enough to let me guess.” Killian paused for a moment. “When a specific pixie’s dust was used to create a Pan, they become linked. But how would that happen unless you encountered him before he was--” Killian was lost in thought for a second and then reached a eureka moment.

Killian leaned forward. “Aha! He’s from the Aging Land. That explains his curious accent.”

Tinker Bell didn’t answer. Killian took her silence for victory. But just then Tinker Bell noticed that Killian’s accent did sound roughly like Peter’s.

“I’m surprised old Arrogen allowed that especially after the last time he let it happen.” Killian said inspecting his nails.

“What do you even know about Arrogen? How old are you exactly?” Tinker Bell asked.

Killian waved her off. “In a land where you don’t have to age, I believe my answer is pointless. I could be thirty or I could five hundred and thirty.” Killian shrugged. “And Arrogen is well known in the furthest depths of Neverland. Which actually brings us to the terms of your ‘parley.’” Suddenly James Killian became very serious.

“What?” Tinker Bell was thoroughly confused at this point.

“Coral will be expecting you in Sernfell to drain you of all your ‘secret powers’ he believes faeries have. While I don’t doubt you have some tricks up your sleeves, I have a different agenda.” Killian said.

“So let me go.” Tinker Bell said.

“I am.” Killian said. He got up and put his face right up to Tinker Bell. “You tell Arrogen to think on his sins. Think on what he’s done and ask him if he has any regrets because he doesn’t have much time left now.” Killian growled. “And tell him...I’ll take back what he owes me.”

Tinker Bell just looked at Killian with curious eyes. “What does he owe you?”

He hesitated for a second. “You are a pretty pixie. What does your Pan think of that?” Killian asked deflecting.

“I’m a pixie, he’s a human. There’s nothing to think about” Tinker Bell sniffed, falling for the bait.

“Exactly. When you’ve been replaced, I’m sure my crew has room for a pixie.” Killian said with a wink.

Killian walked over to a heavy looking cabinet and put his rapier inside. When the door closed, Tinker Bell felt her strength return. Killian then walked to the window and opened it.

“You let Arrogen know what I said. Have fun now, love.” He said before exiting the room. 

Tinker Bell flew as fast as she could away from the Jolly Roger.


Chapter Thirty-One: The Crow and The Snake


Peter and Wendy had an easier landing then Peter’s first attempt so long ago.

He assumed it had to do with his bolstered magic now. He felt stronger than he had before and his emotions felt crystal clear. If there was a cloud nine, he had found it.

Back in Hangman’s Hollow, Peter looked around for the rest of his entourage. Not finding anyone, he strode towards the Nevertree. Him and Wendy found a congregation of the faerie council outside. Among them were Ban Chua, Tiger Lily, Stefan, Rumia and to Peter’s surprise, Tinker Bell.

Peter couldn’t contain himself. He ran over in the middle of the meeting. “Tink! What a surprise! How’d you get away?” he asked holding out his hand for her to land on. She ignored his hand.

“I escaped. On my own. Without you.” she said icily.

Peter felt a little stung. “It hasn’t been that long and plus I was losing my powers. I had to fix that before I could come get you.”

“Peter it’s been 3 months since I was captured. Where have you been? We all thought you abandoned us.” Rumia spoke up.

Peter looked around and noticed all the faces were staring at him with defeated or angry expressions. Peter realized that the time flow between his home and Neverland had no apparent consistency.

“I was becoming weak. Forsa told me to find a new link to the magic. So I did.” Peter said and allowed the Wendy to walk forward.

“This is my friend from home. Her name is Wendy.” Peter said. He noticed some of the boys avert eyes. He also noticed Rumia and Tiger Lily shoot glances to Tinker Bell who stayed still, staring at Peter.

“How lovely. You think you can waltz back in here with a redhead and think everything’s okay? Because it’s not Peter.” Tinker Bell was starting to get louder.

“I’m stronger now, I feel it.” Peter, who grabbed Aegis from Hangman’s Hollow, drew his sword and the emerald was glowing and the Native ring, Un’Abe on his finger was as well. Forsa came forward and tapped each gem a couple of times.

“He is indeed stronger. This is most fortunate news, Arrogen. This will allow us to invade the Cove.” Forsa said.

“Wait what?” Peter asked looking around.

“There’s been small incursions from the Cove. We’ve had some casualties and the attacks grow in force each time. We need to stop them before they get out of hand.” Stefan said.

“But we can’t possibly overtake the whole thing.” Peter argued. “Killian is ruthless and has a knack for killing Pans.”

“Then you’ll die in the line of duty, as all Pans should.” Arrogen said, flying forward. “Killian is a coward at heart and a thorn in my side for centuries. Now that I know it is him, I will not hold back.”

“Tink, surely you think this is suicide, think about Balt.” Peter pleaded. 

“Balt was honorable and even if his mind is not his own anymore, he still has more spine than you.” Tinker Bell said to the shock of everyone.

“What are you on about?” Peter asked starting to get angry.

“You ran away when you were weak and came back only when it was convenient for you.” Tinker Bell said.

“Oh that’s simply not---” Peter started

“Save it, Pan, I don’t care. We’re invading the Cove with or without you, as was the plan. And if you die, a new Pan will step up. As one always does.” She said the last few words with relish before flying away.

A few hours later, Rumia, Stefan, Wendy and Peter sat in Hangman’s Hollow awaiting the call to march.

“Pixies are vindictive little creatures, Pete, I wouldn’t worry so much.” Stefan said lightly.

“You did hurt her Peter, but I understand what happened. And it is nice to meet you Wendy.” Rumia said.

Wendy, who had been exceptionally quiet through all of this, finally spoke. “I’m sorry to cause such a mess. But messes tend to follow Peter around.” 

Peter immediately thought this was Wendy reverting to her old attitude swung his head around but noticed her smiling at him. He smiled back.

“This place is beautiful. Flying was....an experience but the different creatures and the wonderful forest. And you never have to grow up!” Wendy continued.

They enjoyed some cheerful moments before a faerie came over to call them to the front lines.

“Alright, Peter, we’ll leave you two alone.” Stefan said.

“No, no. I want to see this.” Rumia laughed.

Stefan then picked Rumia up over his shoulder and carried her out.

Peter smirked and walked over to Wendy who stood up with a sad smile.

“You’re like a hero to these people.” She said.

“Something like that.” Peter said.

“You’re a hero to me too. I’m sorry for all those years of torment. I’ll make it up to you if you make it back alive.” Wendy said. Then she kissed him.

Peter was taken aback but kissed her back. After a couple of seconds...

“Aha! I knew it!” Rumia yelled from the doorway. Then there were sounds of Stefan dragging her back out.

Peter picked up Aegis and walked towards the door.

“Peter?” Wendy called.

“Yea?”

“Do come back.”

“I will.”


Peter sheathed Aegis and was fixing his belt. His green tunic and black leggings seemed like inappropriate combat attire but they were the only things that looked remotely comfortable in Hangman’s Hollow. There was a feathered cap covered in dust in the back of the closet but Peter just felt it was slightly outdated. Plus he was not sure how the hat would stay on his head while he flew. However there was a light chain mail shirt he found that he wore under his tunic. He also donned some leather gauntlets that pulled up to his elbows. They wouldn’t stop a direct arrow or sword swing but at least he’d avoid close and accidental shaves.

Then Peter heard footsteps approaching. His newly acquired Pan hearing told him it was one person. He looked to see Ban Chua folding his arms as he came to stop, crossbow on one hip, his falchion blade on the other.

“Looks like something’s on your mind, Ban.” Peter said narrowing his eyes. He didn’t like the way Chua was looking at him. A challenge was being issued.

“Three months, Pan. And in that time we’ve dealt with a lot and without you,” Ban said, waving his hands sarcastically at Peter. “All this scrambling for a Pan and for what?”

“I am a big fan of tradition, I really am. After all, it’s the basis for my culture,” Ban continued. “But having a Pan for the sake of having one? Having a Pan to look like the faeries are doing something? I was doing this just fine before Tiger Lily and you came around.”

“You know, funny you think that because no one else thought so.” Peter shrugged. The air between them was becoming palpable. Peter was at his edge with everything that happened. Everyone assumed he didn’t feel bad about Tinker Bell or being gone three months but it’s not like he had full control of the situation. And it’s not like they gave him some kind of training manual about Neverland, either. For safety’s sake, Peter’s hand slid to rest on the pommel of Aegis.

“Feeling threatened, Pan?” Ban asked, noticing where Peter’s hand went.

Peter smiled facetiously. “Just say it, Ban. Are you looking for a fight or not?”

“Sure, maybe we should just settle this,” Ban growled. “You did fly away from our last fight.” Ban started to pick up his cross bow.

“You need a gun, Ban?” Peter asked. “Let’s toss the weapons. Come at me, man to man.” Peter untied his belt that carried Aegis. He tossed some fifty from them. After he did so he removed his leather gauntlets as well. He raised his bare fists to Ban.

Ban laughed out loud. “The crow and the snake. Neither of us has favorable symbolism,” he said as he threw aside his crossbow and blade.

Ban was far quicker than Peter had expected but thankfully his magic was boosted by the arrival of Wendy. Ban’s fist was large and bony and the first blow did land but Peter was able to fall back from it.

Peter rolled into a cat-like landing, his cheek pounding a little. Ban shook his fist. “Well color me impressed, Pan. That was fast enough to avoid the severity of the blow.”

“Thanks for pointing out the obvious.” Peter snarled.

Peter, attempting to catch Ban off guard, shot from crouched position forward with the speed of a cheetah pouncing. Ban toppled back and they rolled a few times. Peter got the bad luck of being on top when the roll lost momentum, allowing Ban to kick him off and into a nearby tree. Ban flipped up as Peter untangled himself from some of the low branches. Peter felt the back of his shoulder stinging and his fingers revealed blood flowing from it. He forced the pain from his mind.

Ban dashed at Peter again. This time Peter had his back to a tree and couldn’t fall back.

At the last second Peter spun and led with his right elbow. It made contact with the back of Ban’s skull. The result was Ban’s face crashing into the trunk of the tree. There was a deafening crack and Peter was sure Ban’s nose had broken.

Peter backed away, thinking the fight had been settled. But Ban simply got up, turned to face Peter and while glaring at him, cracked his nose back into place. Sure blood was pouring like a river from his nose, but Ban had no intention of slowing down and it kind of scared Peter.

This guy can’t heal like I can, Peter thought, whose shoulder was already healed. This is some sick stuff. 

Ban and Peter lunged at each other again and were at each other’s throats, going blow for blow. Peter had taken tough hits on his jaw and cheekbones and also in his ribs. Had he not been bolstered by magic, he’d have been knocked out long ago. But Peter had made sure to reciprocate with hits of his own, including one on Ban’s already wounded nose.

Then Tiger Lily, Wendy and Princess Amelia, who stayed with the Lost Boys during the three months of Peter’s absence, came running into the fight. Wendy and Amelia immediately grabbed Peter and started to pull him back. Tiger Lily was having a much harder time with Ban.

Peter broke away from the two girls and barreled back into Ban and now Tiger Lily and the three of them tumbled to the ground. Peter made sure the tumble ejected Tiger Lily and he landed on top of Ban. He began pounding as hard as he could on Ban’s face, aiming for his already messed up nose every chance he got. Ban initially fought back but Peter’s attacks became too wild and ferocious that it was all Ban could do to block his face. Peter’s mind started to flash to the night that he almost crippled Mr. Darling.

Wendy’s voice cut through the din. “Peter! Stop!”

Peter looked up at her and then around to the other horrified looks from Tiger Lily and Amelia. Peter got off Ban and offered a shaking, bloody hand to him.

It was surprising Ban was still awake but he took the hand grudgingly. Peter put his hand on Ban’s shoulder and leaked dust into an open wound.

The effect was immediate. Ban’s cuts and wounds started to fix themselves. Even Ban’s nose stopped bleeding though it was disturbingly crooked.

Peter looked at everyone lost for words but it was Ban who spoke.

“You got a hell of a punch, Pan. Save it for the were-men from now on,” he said offering a shake.

Peter took it and nodded, entirely out of breath.


Chapter Thirty-Two: A Death in the Family


On the front lines assembled a mess of different soldiers. Some of Arcen’s troops hung around, plus Tiger Lily, Ban Chua and some of their warriors, Rumia, Stefan, Peter and the Lost Boys. Some faeries like Tinker Bell, Serban, and Forsa flitted around but this time avoiding Peter entirely. 

They’ll get over it. I’ll make sure of it. Peter thought to himself determinedly.

They marched towards the Cove. The dense mist that clung to the area started to make it hard to see, but the faeries surrounded themselves in magic that glowed bright like flying lanterns.

They walked until they reached the fringe of the forest. They halted.

“Steady, steady, wait for the call.” Forsa whispered.

Suddenly Peter’s hair stood on end. He spun around and noticed eyes glinting in the forest all around them. They walked into a trap.

“Damn.” Peter muttered.

“What?” Rumia asked.

“All around us, weremen.” Peter said under his breath.

“What do we do?” Stefan asked.

“Might as well say it like it is. We’ll break through this ambush and head towards the docks. See if the Jolly Roger is there. And then go after Killian.”

“Okay.” Rumia and Stefan said.

Peter took a deep breath and then crowed loudly. Every fighter turned to him and in the split second before the weremen pounced, he bellowed “Weremen! Fight!”


It was not a pretty sight but it wasn’t the massacre it was meant to be either. Rumia, Stefan and Peter stayed in a triangle with their backs facing each other. They were the only group not give up ground or break rank. Ban Chua had chased a wereman into the darkness and left Tiger Lily on her own. Tinker Bell had come to her rescue though and they were managing well, Tiger Lily with a blade and Tinker Bell with her magical light-bow. 

Peter’s new emotional connection to Wendy bolstered his power. He felt it in every swing. Into every blow he put his hopes and dreams. He was able to take down weremen in half the time he could last battle.

Eventually the fighting spread wider and the main ranks fell out of the forest and onto the beaches of the Cove. Without cover, everybody was wide open. Then, it didn’t help that the ships starting firing canons upon the beach. However, they were firing indiscriminately, hitting Lost Boy and wereman alike.

In the chaos Peter heard a massive howl. Upon the bow of the closest ship was a boy with snow-white hair.

It was Balt.

“I’m sorry Pan, but if I kill you, I’m free.” Balt yelled to Peter.

He flipped off the bow and jumped a massive distance to land on the beach. He drew Castor and Pollux and walked slowly towards Peter. Peter looked around and saw most of his allies otherwise occupied. He didn’t want to have to kill Balt. He also wasn’t positive that he could kill him. If he could break the magical hold on him...

“Balt, we don’t have to fight. Forsa is a magical genius, he can figure out a way to break whatever they have on you.” Peter said.

“You’re not getting it. It’s based off my hatred of Pans. I should have been Pan long before you were. It’s dark magic, Peter. My hatred will set me free.” At that last statement Balt disappeared. He was exceptionally quick. 

Peter sensed him behind him though and at the last second was able to parry a blow. When the swords collided, Peter felt despair and anger emanating from them. He knew there was no way to get around this fight.

The resolution coursed through his body. The magic of Pans past flew through his veins. He flourished Aegis. 

“So be it, Balt. I wish it didn’t come to this.” Peter said.

He dashed forward with a backhand slice. Balt was quick and already behind him stabbing. Peter backflipped over him and tried to get to Balt’s neck. Balt spun and parried. It was a haggard fight. Peter may be able to fly or vault himself with his magic, but Balt was simply quicker.

Un’Abe started to glow and add its energy to Peter. Peter’s attacks became more furious. He got inside Balt’s guard and cut his forearm. Balt stared at the blood for a moment and then the gash healed.

“It’s a death blow or nothing.” Balt said.

Peter cursed under his breath. Balt as a wereman in their last fight had been tough but mostly because Peter wasn’t entirely comfortable fighting. But now Peter was stronger and Balt wasn’t even a wereman but he couldn’t quite get ahead.

Balt created distance between him and Peter. Peter caught his breath for a second. Then Balt flung one of his twin swords at Peter who dodged it but when he landed found Balt behind him. Quick as lightning, Balt wrapped his arm around Peter and started to suffocate him.

“Goodbye Peter.” Balt said.

Then they were both barreled over by Stefan, who broke them free. Peter scrambled to his feet to see Balt turn to face his assailant. Balt raised his sword and started to swing and stopped. 

“I...I...won’t kill him. Only Pan.” Balt said haggardly.

Balt is still inside there somewhere. Peter thought to himself. Unfortunately I don’t think there’s anything I can do. He’s a machine that’s after me.

“Come on, Balt, I thought you wanted me dead?” Peter jeered to draw him away from Stefan, just in case.

Balt flashed and disappeared. He reappeared at the side of Peter and went to smash his elbow into Peter’s temple. Peter ducked and grabbed Balt at the waist and flipped him using Balt’s momentum. 

Peter brought Aegis down quickly but Balt blocked from the ground using the one sword he had left. Peter stood above him, throwing all his weight behind his blade while Balt did the same.

“P..Peter,” Balt spat. “You have to kill me. That’s the only freedom for me.”

“I can’t kill you Balt. I just can’t.” Peter growled back. “I’m going to take you back with me and we’ll fix you.”

“No, you can’t undo this magic. If you tried, it will be a slower death than your sword.” Balt said.

Then a voice rang out from the shore behind them. “He’s right you know.”

Peter didn’t have to turn around to know Killian’s voice.

“By hook or by crook, one of you will die tonight.” Killian continued.

“Isn’t that a dated saying?” Peter patronized.

Letting his focus go for just a moment allowed Balt to pull a move. He took his weight out from under Peter and he fell facedown on the sand. Balt stood above him, his sword at his back.

Balt raised his sword for the final blow and all of a sudden a tiny golden rocket hit him square in the stomach, knocking him over.

Peter scrambled and saw Tinker Bell fly away from Balt to land on his shoulder.

“Alas, Tinker Bell, nice of you to join us. I see we’re reaching the climax here.” Killian said.

“You’re just a pain in the a*s, Killian.” Tinker Bell said. “Peter wouldn’t kill Balt.”

Peter hung his head. “Tink, I don’t have a choice. It’s either him or me. The magic is wrought too deep.”

Tinker Bell looked sadly at the two boys for a moment. “Alright, Peter. I’m here with you.” She kissed him on the cheek, allowing her magic to flow to him. “I might be mad at you but you can’t die on me.”

Peter knew that she reestablished her link with him. Without it, he’d be dead. But now bolstered by his emotional connection to Wendy and the magic from Tinker Bell, Peter should have enough to finish the fight.

“Well, well, this should be fun then.” Killian said as he sat cross legged on the ground.

Peter dashed at Balt, much faster this time and they clanged swords. They exchanged furious blows and both of them were past the point of talking. Peter drew on all his strength and the strengths of Pans past to just will himself forward.

And then Peter saw the only way to get an opening. Peter allowed himself to get hit on his left shoulder. He danced back, pretending to be hurt more than he was. Balt dashed at him for a final blow. Peter, anticipating this, flipped Aegis backhand like a dagger and spun in perfect time to catch Balt in the middle of the back. Balt fell hard.

Peter pulled Aegis out of Balt and flipped him over. This blow wouldn’t kill him. Peter would still have to do it the hard way.

“Thank you Peter.” Balt coughed. “This is the second time I’m at your mercy. Finish it properly this time.”

Balt outstretched his hand and Peter took it to shake. And then Balt grabbed at Peter’s throat. The dark magic wouldn’t let Balt give in.

Choking, Peter raised Aegis. “Balt, I’m not killing you. Just..putting you to rest.” he coughed out.

And Peter shoved Aegis into Balt’s heart. Balt sputtered and went rigid. Tinker Bell sobbed on Peter’s shoulder.

Chapter Thirty-Three: The Dark Side of Magic


Peter got up slowly. Captain James Killian was clapping. “Ahh, finally. I knew you’d do it in the end. How do you feel?”

“What do you mean how do I feel?” Peter growled.

“Pans are meant to protect life. Not take it away.” Killian said offhandedly.

“Peter, he’s goading you.” Tinker Bell warned.

“Oh but my dear pixie, you know what’s going to happen, don’t you?” Killian asked.

“What does he mean?” Peter asked.

“Pans don’t usually kill...when they do it causes a drastic change.” Tinker Bell said.

Peter started panting heavily. He was exhausted from his fight with Balt but a murderous rage was starting to overcome him and it was fueling his body with adrenaline.

Peter narrowed his eyes at Killian. “Well, if it’s a particularly murderous change, I know my next target.”

“There we go, yes, yes. The stronger you are when I kill you, the more I gain.” Killian said drawing his rapier.

“You planned this? Like a game? For power?” Peter yelled.

“Why, how else will I be strong enough to take over for Coral once he’s...tied up.” Killian said readying his stance.

Peter bellowed in rage and flew at Killian. He was faster than he’d ever been. Sand sprayed everywhere. The first blow Killian glanced off without even bending his knees. Peter spiraled off into the water. He splashed up.

Peter flew out of the water, high into the sky and back down on top of Killian. Killian parried but the attack was much more ferocious. Killian danced and was knee deep in the tide. Peter flew off to the Jolly Roger, anchored not far out in the cove.

Peter landed on the top deck, only to see Killian climbing down from the crow’s nest.

“What, how?” Peter said aloud.

“You’re not the only one who can fly, boy.” Killian growled. He jumped the last twenty-five feet to land at Peter’s feet.

They traded blows furiously. Faster than Balt, Killian wasn’t as sloppy either. All his attacks were precise and Peter just had time to parry.

The more they fought, the more Peter felt his hatred boil. He was getting reckless and throwing all his weight behind his attacks. Eventually Killian, instead of blocking, simply sidestepped and Peter stumbled forward. As Killian spun to slash him, Peter wildly swung Aegis and caught flesh. Killian’s off-hand flew into the ocean.

Killian screamed and fell to his knee. Peter stood above, Aegis glowing at the taste of blood.

“Peter, if you kill again so soon, you will not recover. Let him go. You won.” Tinker Bell said in his ear. “Please, think of...Wendy back in Hangman’s Hollow.”

Peter remembered and calmed down enough to not kill the pirate captain.

“You step foot on Neverland again and I’ll finish you.” Peter warned.

“Well, I’m going to. So you might as well just do it here.” Killian jeered with a smile.

“Well, then the next time, I won’t have a choice. This is my mercy.” Peter said and he flew away from the captain. 

As he flew, he heard the captain laughing manically and call out to him, “The clock is ticking Peter Pan! Tick tock! Tick tock, until I kill you!”


Peter and Tinker Bell returned to the beach. Stefan was gone, which was a good sign, meaning he was off cleaning up somewhere. A signal flare flew in the sky, recalling the enemy back to the ships. It had become clear, no side was going to win outright. This was both good and bad for the Lost Boys.

A spark of light glinted off steel and it caught Peter’s eye. The light came from Balt’s twin swords, Castor and Pollux, which managed to both end relatively close together. Peter assumed that was probably due to some magic in them. Tinker Bell sniffed from Peter’s shoulder.

“He was...I don’t even know.” Tinker Bell exasperated. “What do you even say about one of your friends when they’re dead?” Peter just turned to give her a small smile.

Balt’s body lie broken and decimated in the sand. Peter hardly knew Balt, really. He had no idea if he was born in Neverland or came from Earth or even what his favorite color was. But Balt had been strong and loyal and and ally.

“You know, Tink,” Peter said, “you don’t really know what kind of person you are until you watch the life drain from someone you murdered.”

“Peter, what do you mean?” Tinker Bell asked.

“Well I think it can kind of go two ways.” Peter explained. “You can become consumed with killing because after the first, there’s no going back.”

“But that’s not who you are, Peter.” Tinker Bell said quickly, though sounding as if she was trying to convince herself.

Peter took a long pause. The pirates and few weremen limped back to the ships, but Peter let them be. He had a newfound sanctity for life.

He bent down and picked up Balt’s body and put him over his shoulders. “No, Tink, it’s not. I’m going the other way.” Peter said without looking at her. He picked up Castor and Pollux and put them in his belt as he walked under the weight of his dead comrade.

“It’s the dark side of magic that makes us become monsters.” Peter said. “But it’s also because of it that we can see our true selves.”

“Pete...” Tinker Bell said.

“No, Tink. It’s okay.”


Peter carried Balt all the way back to the rendezvous point outside the forest. What was left of the Lost Boys waited looking heavily battered. A couple faeries flitted around healing who they could. Peter was happy to see Rumia, Stefan and Tiger Lily made it through. He was even happy to see Ban Chua alive, though he looked horrible with a missing arm. Forsa was concentrated heavily on him. Silence fell over crowd as Peter walked up with Balt.

“Oh, Balt...” Rumia started to cry as she and Stefan came forward to remove Peter of the burden. Peter was just about to collapse from carrying the weight so far.

“How did this happen?” Tiger Lily asked.

After a moment, Peter spoke up. “I killed him.” 

Whispers started to spread. “There was no way to save him?” Rumia asked.

“No, there wasn’t.” Peter said crossing his arms.

The crowd seemed to be waiting for Peter to speak. He didn’t want to give a speech, but his crew needed something right now as their future looked bleak.

“Yes, I killed Balt,” Peter called out. “It was either him or me. Because someone turned him against me. They bred dark magic based on his hatred of Pans.”

Peter paced a little bit, kicking at rocks, shaking his head at a loss for words.

“I was so excited at the sight of defeating an opponent, as Pans are bred to fight. But I was sick at the sight of his lifeless body, as Pans are bred to protect life.” Peter said. “But I can’t lie. The excitement of murder got to me for a minute.”

“And in that minute, I saw something inside myself.” Peter reflected.

“They tried to take my humanity away. They tried to drive a Pan over the edge and become a murderous machine. But that’s not me. They took nothing from me. They only took from Balt.” Peter felt his emotions rise up but he forced them back down.

His voice became raw as he roared to the crowd. “Am I as good of a leader as Balt? No! But I will lead you against Fiern Coral, James Killian and whoever else stands with them. We can not take Balt back from them but we’ll let him watch from somewhere beyond as we avenge him!”

The crowd of beat up and downtrodden Lost Boys begun to sing a tavern song together, swaying and applauding, lamenting in loss but also lauding in the wake of new resolve.


Chapter Thirty-Four: Friends From Behind a Tree

Peter was awoken by a glowing gold light in his room in Hangman’s Hollow. Peter looked next to him to see if Wendy was bothered by the light as well. She was fast asleep, curled up with most of the blanket.

“Peter.” Tinker Bell whispered. “Come outside with me.”

Peter followed Tinker Bell out into bright early morning sun. It had been a couple days since the Cove fight and Tinker Bell and the other faeries were holed up thinking their next move.

“Don’t you think it’s a little inappropriate for you two to sleeping in the same bed?” Tinker Bell asked dryly.

“You conclave for three days and that’s what you have to say to me?” Peter asked, swatting at Tinker Bell. She dodged it casually.

“No, we should talk about something Killian said to me on his ship when I was captured.” Tinker Bell said.

“Okay, what’s up?” Peter said stopping to lie on the grass, stretching his legs and arms.

“Well, truth is I didn’t escape. He sort of...let me go.” Tinker Bell said, landing on his chest and beginning to pace.

“Why would he do that?” Peter asked perplexed.

“He wanted me to give a message to Arrogen. He seemed to have a past with him.” Tinker Bell said.

“What did Arrogen have to say?” Peter asked.

“I didn’t tell him yet.” Tinker Bell said biting her lip.

Peter sat up on his elbows. “Tinker Bell,” he said seriously.

“No! Listen, Peter. I did some digging.” Tinker Bell said earnestly.

“James Killian was originally from the Aging Land, like you.” Tinker Bell said.

“So?”

“That’s not all. It’s not in the Tapestry on the Nevertree, but it’s in the Lybrary. Nothing escapes the Lybrary.” Tinker Bell said.

“The Lybrary?” Peter asked.

“It’s a magical scroll that will show you the answer to any question if it deems you worthy. I gave it a shot and it worked!” Tinker Bell smiled.

“That seems a little too easy.” Peter said.

“It’s magic, Peter.”

“Oh. True.”

“Plus I’m worthy, duh.” Tinker Bell with a shrug. “Anyway, Killian was a Pan candidate centuries ago. Arrogen was on the council then.”

“The Lybrary gave you all this backstory?” Peter asked incredulously.

“No, no, but it showed me the list of all Pans and Pan candidates back to the very first. Killian’s name was on it.” Tinker Bell said.

“But that doesn’t change anything.” Peter said wryly.

“His rapier is made of fynesteel.” Tinker Bell said.

“He can’t have a fynesteel blade unless...” Peter began.

“Unless he was a Pan. I mean he could have stolen it, but every Pan’s weapon is registered. The only confusing part is that if Killian was a Pan, the Lybrary doesn’t show it. It just shows that he was once considered to be one.” Tinker Bell said.

“Well that does seem like quite the history,” said a voice from beyond a tree.

Peter quickly got up and his hand instinctively went to grab Aegis, which was still in Hangman’s Hollow.

Then Peter relaxed when he saw who was walking towards him.

“Uh, do you know these guys?” Tinker Bell asked.

“Of course, these are my best friends from home, Tink!” Peter exclaimed running over to John and Michael Darling who had somehow miraculously made it to Neverland.

“How are you two here?” Peter asked.

“One night, Michael was floating in his sleep. His window was open and out he went. It was all I could do to follow.” John said.

“I was dreaming that Wendy was calling for me.” Michael said, shrugging.

Peter thought back to Wendy sleeping and wondered if she was subconsciously calling her brothers in her dreams.

“We were kind of wandering aimlessly and came across this clearing and heard you two talking.” John said.

Tinker Bell was give both the Darling brothers a hard look.

“Guys, this is Tinker Bell. She’s a pixie.” Peter said.

“I’m hardly just any pixie, Peter.” Tinker Bell huffed.

“Right, she’s the pixie who brought me here.” Peter sighed.

“Well met, Tinker Bell.” Michael said shaking her tiny hand that shook her whole body.

“It sounded like you have your hands full, Pete.” John said.

“You have no idea.” Peter said.


Chapter Thirty-Five: Pyre


Back in Hangman’s Hollow, Peter hurriedly woke Wendy and got her out of his room. He didn’t want John and Michael to see them sharing a bed just yet.

Peter introduced his friends from home to his friends from Neverland. It was a surreal experience but Peter was feeling more at home every day.

But then Forsa flew in to the Hollow.

“We’re all meeting for Balt’s funeral now.” He said. With the excitement, Peter has forgotten that was today.

It was a quiet affair, especially considering the multitude of people there. Balt was clearly well respected. Lying in a small canoe, arms crossed with flowers and berries, Balt looked peaceful - as if he might wake up any minute.

“Um, why is he in a canoe if we’re not near any water?” Peter whispered to Stefan.

“Just watch.” Stefan said.

A group of faeries circled around Balt and covered him with dust. Then the canoe started to float higher and higher. The faeries sang a sad song until he was out of sight.

Afterwards as everyone was milling about, Tinker Bell said to Peter “You know, you have to appoint a new First Speaker. A Third Speaker can be empty for a bit, but you need a chain of command.”

Peter called Rumia and Stefan over.

“Well, I’m told to appoint new Speakers.” Peter said. “Fortunately, this very easy. You two have had my back since I got here and I would rather never fight without the two of you.”

Rumia punched Peter in the arm with a smile and Stefan simply drew himself up to his maximum, considerable size.

“So, let’s keep this in order. Rumia, you’re now First Speaker and Stefan, you’re Second.” Peter said happily. “I’m sure a worthy Third will pop up.

“Thank you, Pan. There is much work to be done.” Stefan said.

“He’s right, we must plan our campaign to avenge Balt.” Rumia said.

“We just lost a friend. And many other friends at that. Killian won’t be fighting anytime soon. I got a good slice at one of his hands.” Peter said. “Let’s take a breather. Rumia, you and Stefan take a day or two off.” Peter started to walk back to Hangman’s Hollow.

“Rumia also, do what you can to watch out for John and Michael.” Peter called over his shoulder.

“Will do, Peter.” Rumia answered. “Where are you going anyway?”

“Like I said, take a breather.” Peter answered wistfully.


Peter and Wendy flew for a long while until they found a waterfall clearing in the forest, far from the Nevertree and the atmosphere of death. It was a beautiful clearing. Wendy and Peter tore off most of their clothes in mid air and raced their falling garments into the water. For some time, they swam and kissed and pretended that life could go on like that forever.

“You are some kind of god, Peter.” Wendy said, laying down on the rock in the sunlight with Peter and their clothes. “You come from another world to this place and save it from evil. That’s like...Superman.”

“Difference is, Superman is pretty much invincible.” Peter pointed out. “I can very easily be killed.”

Wendy’s eyes fell. “That’s true. And it scares me. It also scares me that John and Mikey are here now too. There’s so much going on.”

“Doesn’t the beautiful waterfall make it all better?” Peter asked but he knew the answer. Wendy’s face said it.

“You were always cute, Peter. Just really immature. It was a tough thing to avoid the attraction all those years.” Wendy said looking into the water.

Peter couldn’t help but laugh. “I was crazy about you since day one.”

“Was?”

“Is.” 

They kissed. Tentatively at first and then more passionately. The mood was aided also by the fact they were using their underwear for swimsuits. But then a feeling started to come over Peter. A dark, ancient and evil feeling.

Voices, incoherently muttering in his head. Peter gasped.

His mind started to process the feeling and it became a warning. 

“Peter?”

“We have to go back. Now.” Peter said hurriedly. He got dressed with inhuman speed.

“Peter what’s wrong?” Wendy asked concerned.

“Someone’s just died.” Peter said gravely.


Chapter Thirty-Six: Traitor


Peter pushed his ability to fly as far as he could. He flew at a ridiculous speed back to the Nevertree, Wendy a mile behind him. From up high, Peter started see chaos ensuing. Faeries were flying everywhere, their dust flashing like gold fire. It seemed there was a manhunt.

Peter landed roughly and it wasn’t long before Rumia, Stefan, John and Michael ran up to him.

“Peter what’s going on?” John asked.

“Someone’s been murdered.” Peter said scanning the skyline for Tinker Bell.

“How do you know?” Stefan asked.

“He’s Pan. If he knows so easily, it must be a faerie.” Rumia explained. “Faeries don’t die easily or often. When one dies, their entire race feels it. They’re searching.”

“TINK!” Peter screamed.

Serban flew over to them. “Has anybody seen Tink?” 

The group had a horrible realization.

Peter flew up a little bit to get a good look around. “TINK!” 

After a frantic moment, Tinker Bell flew from the Nevertree and shouted back “PETER! WHY ARE YOU YELLING!? I’M IN HERE.” She flew back into the Nevertree Council Alcove.

Peter’s body bent over in relief. He and Serban flew over to her while everyone else ran. Peter poked his head into the council chamber and noticed a group of faeries huddled around a fallen body.

“It was Arrogen.” Tinker Bell said.

“I felt some weird feeling come over me. I rushed here as fast as I could.” Peter told Tinker Bell.

“Yes, Pans can feel when one of us dies as well.” Tinker Bell said. “Arrogen was poisoned. Murdered by one of us.”

“What? How do you know?” Peter asked sharply.

“He wasn’t poisoned with a substance. He was poisoned with magic. Only one of us could have done it,” she said with a face.

“Forsa.” Peter said. Tinker Bell nodded.

“Where is the son of a b***h?” Peter growled.

“He’s gone. No one can find him.” Tinker Bell said.

“I know where he is.” Peter said realizing.

“Where?”

“Fiern Coral’s castle on the Counters.” Peter said assertively. “Is Tiger Lily and Ban still on the mainland?”

“They were heading back sometime tonight.” Tinker Bell answered.

“Would you please get them and bring them back to the Hollow.” Peter said. “I have an idea.”


Peter stood outside of Hangman’s Hollow, like he has a few times now whenever things got serious, with his friends. He tucked his silver and black sword, Aegis, into its illuminated sheath. He wore a green tunic and black Bhedran leggings. He also had on canvas wraps with cork bottoms as shoes. His Bhedran emerald, Un’Abe, glinted bright in the dying sunlight off his finger.

Around him stood (or in some cases, hovered) Tinker Bell, Serban, Tiger Lily, Ban Chua, Rumia, Stefan, Wendy, John and Michael.

“There are ten of us here,” Peter said. “This circle, some of us have trusted our lives to one another. And we’ve survived. We’re missing a friend here however.”

“Balt should be with us. And now again, Arrogen is dead as well.”

“Not that I totally loved the guy,” Serban whispered audibly.

The group gave him a look.

“What?” Serban asked.

“Nevertheless Serban. These people have infiltrated us. They’ve taken not only the lives of Balt and Arrogen but also the lives of so many Lost Boys and Bhedran warriors. How many more lives are we going to let them take?” Peter asked seriously.

“What are you saying, Peter?” Tiger Lily asked.

“Let’s retaliate.” Peter said simply.

“What do you have in mind?” Tinker Bell asked.

“Well, fighting out right has just netted hundreds of deaths on either side. We’ll be going at this for years until someone has no army left.” Peter said.

“You’re right. Each nation would be on their knees by the time this war is over.” Ban Chua agreed. Even missing most of his left arm, he seemed totally ready for a scramble.

“They snuck in and assassinated Arrogen. No armies, no warnings. I say we do the same. We go to Fiern Coral, take him and who ever else out. No leader, no army, no war.” Peter said.

There was a moment of silence as everyone looked around at each other. And then...

“Alright so when do we leave?” John asked out loud.

“We?” Peter asked.

“Yea. Mikey and I are both black belts. We can handle our own.” John asserted.

“Do I get a sword too?” Michael asked.

“We’re not even positive how you two got here. You shouldn’t go getting in the middle of this fight for no one you know.” Tinker Bell said.

“We flew here.” Michael said.

“And we know Peter. Where he goes, we go.” John said crossing his arms.

Peter was admittedly scared for his friends but felt a rush of fierce pride. At last, he felt like a leader.

“Alright then. Stefan, let’s get a couple of swords for these guys.” Peter said. Stefan ducked into the Hollow and returned with Castor and Pollux, Balt’s twin swords. Peter gave him a look of confusion.

“Castor and Pollux are brother swords. It’s only fitting that a pair of brothers inherit them. Plus Balt would have been upset if the last battle they saw was in defeat.” Stefan said giving Castor to Michael and Pollux to John.

“And what about me?” Wendy asked.

Now every really started at Peter.

“You wait here for us to come back, I guess.” Peter said uncomfortably.

“I waited through the last time. It was horrible. I had no idea what was going on or if you were coming back. And now my brothers are going? No. I’m going as well.” Wendy said defiantly.

Peter looked around for help from his friends. No one wanted to get into the middle of this particular argument.

“How will you defend yourself?” Peter asked pointedly.

“Just give me a crossbow. I’ll be fine.” Wendy said with a tone of finality.

Ban laughed. “This girl has spirit. Alright then, let’s get her a crossbow!” He then ducked into the Hollow and came out with his personal crossbow that he once used against Peter.

“Needless to say, I have no use of this anymore. It is yours.” Ban handed his crossbow and metal spiked ammunition to Wendy in a sling.

Peter looked around at his ragtag team. “To the Counters, it is then.”


Chapter Thirty-Seven: Journey


Without giving notice to any faerie council, they traveled to the port town of Capoten. They feared there might be another traitor within the council so they figured it was best kept quiet. 

Capoten was in the north-west of the Neverland mainland. It was the shortest distance between the main island and the main island of the Counters.

They spent the night in a traveling inn named the Ruin’s Road.

“Not a very happy sounding inn, is it?” Serban asked when they arrived.

The barman spoke up. “My name’s Thatcher Ruin. And I’ll make it real unhappy if you keep them words up, faerie.”

Serban turned to the rest of them and rolled his eyes.

Peter ignored Serban. “We’re just looking for a large room for the night. We’ll be off early tomorrow.”

“Yer Pan aren’t ya? I can smell the fynesteel from here.” Ruin said.

Peter glanced sideways at Rumia and Stefan. Possibly they knew of this barman and if he was an enemy or not. They shook their heads. They had no idea who this man was at all.

Well, I guess honesty is the best policy. Peter thought.

“Yes, yes I am. These are my companions. We are traveling and would graciously accept a place to rest tonight.” Peter said.

“O’course yer travelin’. You wouldn’t leave yer cozy terradome if ya weren’” Ruin said. “Where’s it y’all going?”

They blanked. “Uh, around.” Peter said dully.

Ruin laughed heartily. “It’ll be the Counters then.”

“Who exactly are you?” Ban Chua asked.

“Thatcher Ruin. Owner of this here fine establishment,” he said with a curtsy and a flourish.

“Alright, alright. Do you have room or not?” Ban asked.

“Yep. Larg’st room is up top. Dinner’s inna hour or two at the bar.” Ruin said before leaving through a set of swinging doors behind him.

“Well he seemed cheery.” John said.

They walked up the stairs to the top floor to a large room that was the entire floor. It would be tight but there was enough room for the ten of them.

“Pan, will you be okay not being able to share a bed with Wendy tonight?” Stefan asked. The boys chuckled.

“Ha. Ha.” Peter returned.

After they settled in they returned to the bar.


“Little Sparrow, how the hell do you keep beating us?” Ban asked in frustration. Rumia, Stefan, Peter, Ban and Michael were playing Liar’s Dice. Michael had a real aptitude for it and Ban was a very sore loser.

Tiger Lily, Tinker Bell, Serban, John and Wendy were at another table eating as much as they could. It was lucky they had ordered their food early because the bar had become quickly packed. It had become standing room only. Mostly working class men but also a noticeable amount of pirates.

Peter pulled a black hooded cloak up over his face to mask that Pan was so far away from his home court advantage. Peter got up to go towards the stairs after losing so much to Michael.

A pirate bumped into him. He immediately frightened, even though in light, with the cloak, he could hardly see Peter’s face.

“I-I’m sorry, Captain. I didn’t quite see ya standin’ there.” The pirate bowed and then ran away.

Peter looked on in confusion. When he turned around to continue his way towards the stairs, Thatcher Ruin stood in his way with a weird look on his face.

“Ya said yer Pan, right?” Ruin asked quietly. 

At least he has the sense to keep his voice down, Peter thought.

“Yea, so?” Peter asked.

“So then why’re ya dressed like that Hook fella?” Ruin asked.

“Hook?” Peter asked.

“Yea, Hook. He’s a fearsome pirate that’s recently made his way to Neverland. He’s been scaring the flesh right off the bones o’ most of them. He always wears a black cloak with the hood up. No one’s seen his face.” Ruin said in a scared whisper.

“What’s he up to?” Peter asked.

“Blimey! How should a humble inn owner, like meself have any idea?” Ruin exclaimed dramatically.

Peter rolled his eyes. “Well then why is he called Hook?”

Thatcher Ruin curled his finger like a hook. “Well he’s a got a hook for hand, o’course. I’ve had him in ‘ere a couple o’ times. Quiet fella. Sure can drink a lot though.”

Peter wondered why a pirate would be scaring his own kind but he had bigger things to worry about at the moment.

Maybe if things blow over, I’ll track down Hook and see what he’s up to. Peter thought.

It was a quiet night after that. Peter’s group sprawled out on the floor of their room and snored away. Peter lie between Wendy and Stefan. So naturally Peter laid closer to Wendy, but Stefan was so huge and even while sleeping, he flopped like a fish out of water.

Peter thought Wendy was asleep, but as Peter’s eyelids began to close, he felt her hand creep towards his and grasp it. They gently squeezed each other’s hand as Peter drifted to sleep.

At first light Peter had a horrible time trying to get everyone up and out of Capoten. Everyone was groggy, especially Rumia and Ban who kept losing to Michael until just a few hours before.

“I just wish I bloody knew how he did it.” Rumia said to Ban.

“It must be the way he deals the dice.” Ban whispered back.

“I can hear you and it’s not!” Michael shouted back.

They made it to the docks and were looking for a small cutter to take them across the frigid waters that were close to the Counters. 

They found a suitable boat, named The Myriad, paid for it with a bit of gold they had left. If Serban, Tinker Bell and Peter propelled the boat, they wouldn’t even have to sleep on the boat at all.

So the three of them propelled the boat as fast as they could. They reached the shore of the Counters as the last vestiges of sunlight faded. They were also starting to freeze quite badly.

In the frozen tundra environment, Serban and Tinker Bell put up a terradome. Inside of it the air was nice and warm. Everyone was able to sleep in sleeping bags without tents or any heavy coverings at all.

It was the middle of the night but Peter couldn’t sleep. He sat at the fire by himself, staring into the flames.

After a while he was joined by a flying golden aura of light, the usual herald of a faerie. Peter felt that it was Tinker Bell next to him. She confirmed this by landing on his shoulder, as she so often did.

“Do you think this is suicide? Going out with just the ten of us?” Peter asked her.

“Is that that you’ve been thinking?” she asked delicately.

“I dunno. Maybe. Wendy and the boys have no place here. I feel protective of them.” Peter said.

“You should feel protective of us all, Peter.” Tinker Bell scolded.

“Not like that Tink. You know what I mean. The rest of us can really defend ourselves.” Peter said.

“Well, they somehow managed to follow you to Neverland. So they would have somehow managed to follow you here.” Tinker Bell pointed out.

“That’s true.” Peter chuckled.

“You know whatever happens, I’m behind you. We’re linked after all.” Tinker Bell said.

“Yea, how does that work exactly?” Peter asked.

Tinker Bell sat down on his shoulder, her hand on his cheek, her other hand fixing her bangs.

“My dust was used to make you Pan, our magic is linked. Our emotions will eventually become linked.” Tinker Bell said.

“Is that with every Pan? It didn’t really seem like it.” Peter asked.

“No, it’s rare. Each time it’s happened it’s been for different reasons. But I brought you here from another world. I found you and gave you my powers. That’s probably why.” Tinker Bell said.

“And you’re still sure I’m the right guy for the job?” Peter asked jokingly.

“Ehh, well...” Tinker Bell said.

“Wait! A minute, I wasn’t being serious.” Peter said, insulted.

“Neither was I, genius. Lighten up.” Tinker Bell said patting his cheek.

Peter told Tinker Bell about Hook and then asked about how the pirates were organized.

“Truth is, they’re not organized. What we’ve seen so far from Killian and Coral is the most in known history. But I’m sure there’s pirates out on the seas, more dangerous than either of them, taking over whatever sails in their path. It’s been more than once that the faeries expel traitors out to sea. I’m sure they mostly become pirates and roam the water.” Tinker Bell explained.

“Interesting.” Peter said. “So how close are we to Coral’s castle?”

“Actually, pretty close. South of us is the town, but the castle sits at the northern end with nothing but a sheer cliff behind it. We’re somewhat east of all of that.” Tinker Bell said.

They talked for a little while longer. Her voice and words were comforting. Perhaps being linked to her wouldn’t be so bad if it was able to calm his nerves before a fight.

“So you really like her, don’t you?” Tinker Bell asked suddenly.

“Really, Tink? This again?” Peter asked.

“It’s just, I want to see you with the best person for you.” Tinker Bell said.

“Exactly. Person. Not pixie.” Peter said.

“No, Peter, I know. But if we’re going to be linked for a while, I at least should have some sort of say.” Tinker Bell huffed, recovering. But Peter felt her grief ever so slightly inside himself.

Peter chuckled. “You get no say.”

“How dare you!” Tinker Bell mockingly yelled.

“Go to sleep, Tink.”

“You’re a right b*****d, you know that?”

“Yea, yea. Go to sleep.

“Fine. But I’m not going to any wedding for you.”

“You weren’t invited anyway.”

“As if!”

Chapter Thirty-Eight: Incursion


In silence, the group of ten heard their feet upon the road. Serban had hidden most of their traveling gear inside the The Myriad and the boat itself using illusion magic. They weren’t sure how long their campaign would take or if they’d even make it back. So they figured they’d just take what they need and if something went sour, use the boat as a rendezvous point.

The plan was to split into two groups of five, each with one faerie. So the first group was Tinker Bell, Peter, Rumia, Wendy and Michael. They would fly from below the cliff and land on the castle wall and make their way inside.

The second group, Serban, Tiger Lily, Stefan, Ban Chua and John would sneak in straight through the front door using illusion magic. Once inside, they would take out as many guards as they could, allowing Peter’s group to fight Coral, hopefully alone.

Serban cloaked them in an illusion, much like the supplies and the boat. They walked unnoticed through the giant gate and into the keep. There were plenty of people about. Mostly they were Coral’s lords and squires doing their own personal business. 

“This is most unnerving. I feel like I’m out in the open.” Ban whispered. It was true. To the group, it seemed like nothing was amiss, but no one noticed them at all.

“Well be careful about it. They can still bump into you AND hear you. Shut it.” Serban whispered back.

They continued unnoticed until they reached a guarded door. 

Serban cracked his knuckles. But Tiger Lily piped up.

“I don’t think lighting my head on fire will work this time,” she said.

“He did what?” Ban asked incredulously.

“Long story.” Tiger Lily waved her hand.

“I want to hear this one too.” John said eagerly.

“Will all of you shut up.” Stefan said.

“Yes, thank you, Stefan.” Serban said. “And, obviously that illusion won’t work. I have a different plan.”

Serban’s idea of a different plan still wasn’t what they had hoped for. Serban focused on one of the guards and suddenly his whole head caught fire.

“Serban, you said you wouldn’t use that illusion!” Tiger Lily exclaimed.

As the guard ran amok panicking, through the door, Serban smiled.

“Oh, it’s no illusion. His head really is on fire.” He said smugly.

They all stared at him. And then John said, “Um, the door is open now, shouldn’t we get moving?”

They made it into the door and into the main hall.


Tinker Bell was worried about how Serban would lead the group but she was confident one way or the other he would get them in safely.

Peter’s group flew up quickly and landed on the castle wall. There were two guards, one on each side. Rumia quickly tossed a throwing knife into the throat of one before he even knew they were there. As Peter drew Aegis towards the second guard, he suddenly heard an audible twang and watched the guard crumple. He turned to see Wendy aiming the sight of her crossbow. She winked at him and began to reload it.

They walked to a parapet and noticed a group of guards at the bottom, on watch. There were eight guards and five of them. Peter was ready to jump down when Tinker Bell motioned for him to stop.

Tinker Bell flew down until she was about ten feet about the guards. She fluttered her wings and her dust covered them. As it did so, they started to fall asleep. Tinker Bell returned with a smug smile.

“They’ll be out for a while. Let’s get moving.” she said.

As she said this, bells started to ring. “That’s the alarm. The others must have been noticed. D****t.” Rumia cursed.

All the guards in the vicinity raced towards the main hall. Peter and his group followed behind them at a distance, trying to keep cover. In the center of the main hall, they saw their friends surrounded by guards. And at the top of the elegant master staircase was who must have been Fiern Coral.

He had black hair combed backward and a sneer that instilled fear. His yellow eyes were cold, empty yet calculating. He wore a black cloak with a silver underlining and a white ruffled chemise. He also had a long thin sword at his hip.

“Ah, a nice little group of ragtag brigands.” Coral announced, walking slowly down the stairs. “And alas, a faerie with them! Forsa, who might this be?”

The traitor faerie, Forsa appeared at his side. “That would Serban, friend of the infamous Tinker Bell. He’s really not much of a threat, Minister.” 

“You’re an a*s.” Serban scoffed to Forsa.

“And with him, it looks like our Chief of the Name Tiger Lily, her pet general Ban Chua, Third Speaker Stefan and...I’m not really sure who that last boy is.”

“I’m John Darling! Friend of Peter Pan!” John exclaimed. “And technically Stefan is Second Speaker now.”

“Well, John Darling, you travel in some very esteemed company, did you know?? Coral said. “One would most readily believe that friends of Pan such as yourselves would travel without him.”

Coral’s eyes flitted around the room. Peter and his group stayed hidden, waiting for a good moment. They were severely outnumbered here. But Peter noticed most of the guard were not like the weremen or the pirates. Some of them were clearly out of shape and they all wore heavy armor with a sigil on it. 

Their agility is the price for Coral’s pride. Peter thought happily.

Coral walked slowly up the group, drew his sword and flashed it under John’s nose. And quick as lightning he plunged it into John’s chest.

Peter and Wendy screamed at the same time, “NO!”

And at that moment Serban yelled, “NOW!”

All of a sudden, the group in the center became dead guards, with Coral’s sword through the chest of one of his own. From the corner, the actual Stefan, Tiger Lily, Ban Chua and John Darling burst forth, surprising the guards in front of them.

Serban yelled up to Peter, “Brilliant, right?”

Peter’s group charged forward as well, surprising even more of Coral’s men. 

“After we win this, I’ll kill you myself!” Peter jokingly yelled to him.

Peter was conscious of not dealing death blows and only incapacitating, in one way or another. But his friends were unusually ferocious. Rumia and Stefan were indeed living up to their new titles. Rumia flipped around like a gymnast, slicing hands off and throats alike. Stefan had a pile of bodies around him as his metal gauntlets literally cracked skulls. 

Serban and Tinker Bell lit fires and put guards to sleep with their dust as they flew by. John and Michael were holding their own surprisingly well. They stood back to back flourishing their blades, much like Peter does. He wondered if giving them his dust might have gifted them a little of his abilities as well. He also noticed that neither of them killed, but only maimed. Wendy stayed in the corner and picked off guards as she could with her crossbow.

Tiger Lily and Ban Chua were the only ones it seemed to be having trouble. Tiger Lily stayed to Ban’s left to protect his side due to his missing limb but it kept her defensive and she couldn’t get ahead. Ban was struggling with his sword balance, swinging far too ferociously and not being able to counterbalance with his other arm. Peter flew over to help them.

“Nice to have you at my side, Pan. Mind you stay on the left though, I don’t have much there.” Ban joked through gritted teeth.

“We got you, Ban. You’re fighting well.” Tiger Lily said, glancing a blow of her blade. Peter than noticed she was carrying Sharpseid, something he hadn’t noticed before.  Something inside of him stirred at the sight of another Pan’s weapon. It gave him strength and confidence.

Peter became momentarily entranced with Sharpseid and his opponent got the better of him and knocked him to the ground. Tiger Lily turned to help him and was tackled straight over head. A guard dove at Ban but he ducked and when he stood up, he parried a blow from an overhead slice but then another blade appeared at his left. Nothing he could do, his body ate the blade. The sword went all the way to his spine before the guard pulled it out, spilling Ban all over the floor next to where Peter lay. Ban crumpled and died instantly.


Chapter Thirty-Nine: Cloak and Escape


After Ban was killed, Peter’s group lost momentum and confidence and were easily overpowered. They were taken through the castle in chains, though not Serban and Tinker Bell who were somehow frozen in place in front of Fiern Coral’s sword. They were then placed into Coral’s throne room. Serban and Tinker Bell were placed in a cage that was slightly glowing. They remained frozen.

They were lined up on the floor against the wall with Coral sitting on his large chair, legs crossed and his finger on his temple as if he was bored.

“I honestly thought it’d be harder than this.” Coral said mockingly.

All of their mouths were gagged except for Peter’s. Obviously Coral planned to mock him the most. Coral waved his hand and the guard dragged Peter kicking and cursing to the center of the room. The guard then tossed Aegis to Coral who caught it one-handed. 

“Such a pretty, pretty sword, Pan.” Coral said, impressed. “People usually do not get much honesty from me, but I have to say, this is truly a remarkable sword.”

Peter couldn’t help but chuckle. His frustration at being beaten, his friends captured and Ban being murdered, he just had nothing else but laughter at Coral’s smugness.

“And people generally get truth from me.” Peter said. “Did you know you look a bit like a cat? Quite ugly really.”

Peter’s friends were wide-eyed at his insolence in the position he was in. Coral’s face was full of surprise. The guard promptly kicked Peter right in the mouth. Peter flipped over. The guard picked him back up and kicked him again for good measure.

Peter spat blood but his tongue wasn’t tired yet. “So what does an ugly cat-ruler, whose subjects don’t like him, need a private army of pirate weremen for?” 

The guard wound his leg up again but Coral waved him off.

“To eradicate the faeries of course. They protect this world. Their very presence offers a level of protection that is almost impossible to penetrate.” Coral said.

“So you take Killian’s crew and offer them what? Money? Power? Why would Killian even want Neverland? I thought pirates preferred the open ocean.” Peter asked.

“I didn’t offer them anything. I made them do it. Killian does what I tell him to do. He likes to act as if he has choices, but he really has no freedom, a slave to his own foolish desire.”

“And here you all just sit! Pan and his Speakers and his empathy-linked pixie! The faeries were relying so heavily on your prowess and now...well, nothing.” Coral laughed.

Their conversation was clearly over and Coral had two guards start to lead them down towards the dungeon to await execution. Though he kept Serban and Tinker Bell in their cage next to his throne.

Then there was a rustle of a cloak and a black hooded figure stood in front of them. The guards were startled so he was clearly acting of his own accord. His entire body and face were covered by the cloak, making him look almost like a ghost.

He jumped into the air and came down on the first guard. There a guttural gurgle and when the cloaked figure stood up, the guard’s throat was basically ripped apart. 

How the hell could he do that with his bare hands? Peter thought.

The second guard dropped his sword and keys and ran. The cloaked figure turned to look at Peter. Peter stared into the blackness of the hood. Then the cloaked figure took off towards Coral’s room.

Peter shuffled over to the keys and unlocked his cuffs. He then proceeded to unlock his friends.

“Well, I mean, this has been a very productive trip.” Rumia said sarcastically.

“Those b******s suckered Ban on his weak side.” Tiger Lily cursed.

“Enemies will do that to ya, Lily.” Stefan said, cracking his knuckles.

“You guys go back towards the exit, I have to go get Tink and Serban.” Peter said. He knew they wanted to help, but they were all unarmed. Their best chance was to make it back to the The Myriad. “Go back to the boat and leave. The three of us can fly back, we’ll be okay.”

Wendy ran up and kissed Peter. Then the six of them ran towards the first exit they could find. Peter sincerely hoped his friends would make it out alive.

I hope I make it out alive. Peter thought blandly.

Peter hustled back up the stairs and into the throne room. The cloaked figure stood opposite of Coral. Aegis lay on the floor between them. Coral saw Peter in the doorway.

“Interesting. Peter Pan has a mysterious benefactor.” Coral said. “And who might you be?”

The cloaked figure simply drew a well-worn sword. It had many nicks and bangs on its blade, evident of heavy use. It clearly was also non-magical as magicked blades repelled that sort of damage.

This guy must be insane to go up against this guy with that thing. Peter thought incredulously.

Peter stuck out his hand and concentrated hard. Aegis shot from the floor and into his hand. Peter took stance opposite the cloaked figure.

Coral chuckled. “Two on one seems hardly fair, no?”

Then a voice spoke out. “Why don’t we even up the odds, Fiern?”


Chapter Forty: The Mirror Scry


A man stood in the doorway. He had a full head of hair and a thick beard but all were white, even thought he didn’t seem particularly old. He had on black leather armor and a black cloak with a silver underlining like Coral’s, though this man had no weapons at his hips. He also had no gloves on, being completely barehanded. Peter noticed on the top of his hands were tattoos in swirls with dots, almost like a starry night.

“Ah, Mirror Scry, how nice of you to join us.” Coral said. Peter’s stomach leapt into his throat.

The cloaked figure that was seemingly on Peter’s side looked from Coral to the Mirror Scry and then took off towards the window. As he jumped, he spread his cloak like wings and glided away.

“Well, this makes things all the more interesting, doesn’t it?” Coral said.

“Not really, I was hoping to get some play.” the Mirror Scry said.

Peter had had it. “Shouldn’t you be a messenger? Enabling Neverland to communicate with lands beyond the oceans?”

The Mirror Scry laughed. “Fool, there are no other continents across the oceans.”

Peter was stunned for a moment. “So then what’s out there?”

“Just more worlds. Each one a little different than the next.” the Mirror Scry said. “Just like there are different dimensions for Earth, so there are too for Neverland.”

“That sounds like a whole lot of science I don’t understand.” Peter jabbed.

“Not science. Magic, Pan. Magic. Science doesn’t make you fly. There is so very much to learn, yet you understand so little.” the Mirror Scry said.

“Not where I’m from.” Peter said. At that, he flew towards Coral, slicing with Aegis. He parried easily, knocking Peter back. And then the Mirror Scry raised his hands and a force held Peter in place.

“You are indeed a pain of a Pan. You and your friends dispatched many weremen and basically proved our army worthless, but the experimenting did shed much knowledge. Though in the end, it turns out we only needed three faeries and not all of them. Well, no harm, no foul.” the Mirror Scry shrugged.

“What do you mean?” Peter managed to say.

“Well, in order to create a wereman, you curse a person through their shadow mind. As a Pan, you realize how alive shadows can be.” the Mirror Scry explained. “You must have noticed that faeries can not be cursed through their shadow mind. That led many to believe they don’t have one. But Forsa discovered they do indeed and sought me out. Going through their shadow mind will allow me to travel between worlds.”

“I would have used Forsa himself but it presumably kills the faeries and he’s far too useful. Arrogen was the first faerie and now Coral here has two faeries for me to finish this part of the journey.” the Mirror Scry finished.

Coral opened the cage and brought the frozen-in-horror Serban and Tinker Bell. Peter tried to stall for time.

“What’s the point of this? What do you gain?” Peter asked.

“I’ve harnessed the magic of Neverland. I’ll go to another and harness it again. And again. And again. And again ad nauseum. This world will be connected to the others and bound by darkness and shadow.” the Mirror Scry said easily.

“Now, Pan, come forward.” the Mirror Scry raised his hand and Peter was forced forward. The Mirror Scry took Aegis and whispered some words in a language Peter didn’t understand. Aegis suddenly looked like it was smoldering, charred wood. Peter stared in absolute horror.

“It really was a beautiful sword.” the Mirror Scry said. And then a look gleamed in his eyes. “Would you care to wield it one last time?”

He forced Aegis back into Peter’s hand. He brought the tip to the Tinker Bell’s forehead. She was stuck in a face of fear, though Peter noticed tears streaming down her face. Peter started to tear up too.

“Shove it through her.” the Mirror Scry said.

Peter felt the magic try to force his arm to thrust but he fought it with everything he had. Centuries of Pans before him lent their strength.

“In order to create shadows, there has to be light. Remember that.” Peter managed to spit out.

“Shove. It. Through. Her.” the Mirror Scry growled, ignoring him.

“TINK!” Peter screamed as his arm thrust the smoldering Aegis through Tinker Bell. 

There was a golden explosion and an earsplitting whirl of sound.

“TINKER BELL!” Peter yelled one more time. But everything went dark.


Chapter Forty-One: The Emerald Memory


After the Mirror Scry had appeared, the cloaked figure flew from the window.

The boy and I could have taken Coral, but it would be suicide to take on the Scry at this point. Better him die then me, he thought.

He glided over to the rocky beach. He started to run towards one of the rickety old docks when he hit something invisible and crashed to the ground. He heard voices coming up the beach at a run; it must have been the rest of Pan’s contingents.

“Hey! Hey cloaked guy!” a girl was yelling.

The cloaked man quickly made sure his body was covered and got up and ran faster. He turned to look back to see them pushing a now visible boat into the water. Eventually he lost them among the rocks.

After a little while a row boat with someone in it was heading in his direction. A sigh of relief escaped the cloaked figure. As he waited for the boat, he adjusted the metal hook on his left hand. It was still hard getting used to it, but it was proving to be a valuable weapon.

“Ah, Captain, it is nice to see you alive. I must say I had my doubts,” the rower said.

“My instinct for self preservation is quite high,” he scoffed.

“Tell that your left hand,” the rower retorted. “Did you find what you were seeking, captain?”

“Things got hairy. The Scry showed himself so he must be getting stronger and more confident. And now with Arrogen dead, Coral is the only person who knows where Silth really is,” the captain answered.

“Is that sword really the answer?” the rower asked.

“Did you know that Silth goes by another, legendary name?” the captain asked quietly.

“Do you mean that Silth and that blade are one in the same?” the rower asked incredulously.

“Yes. Miseria, the Sword of Despair, was once a fynesteel blade given to a young Pan and was once named Silth. And yes, Smee, that sword is really the answer,” the captain said.

I just hope I can find the blasted thing before Coral has a chance to use it...or worse; destroy it, he thought quietly to himself.


Peter awoke but he kept his eyes closed. He felt sheets and a bed and wondered if his friends had found him and brought him back to the Hollow.

I’ve just been having these weird dreams...like was any of that for real...or not?Peter thought to himself.

He put out his arm to feel for Wendy but nothing was there. He opened his eyes and to his absolute horror, he was back in his room in London, England.

It couldn’t have been a dream. Peter thought in a panic.

He felt a weight on his hand and noticed the emerald ring Un’Abe. 

Peter concentrated on the emerald ring he had received from Tideso from what felt like so long ago and remembered everything from the day he met Tinker Bell until the very end. The ring stopped glowing when he was done.

He felt relieved for a second that it wasn’t a dream and he had actually adventured through Neverland. And then he panicked because he realized he had just killed Tinker Bell.

© 2013 DJ Nanni


Author's Note

DJ Nanni
There's probably some missed words as I type too fast. Please let me know where they are! This is the 5th revision after a year and half of writing.

I tried really hard to make the dialogue feel like real people talking back and forth and feel like I might have skimped on depth of description...let me know what you think.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

143 Views
Added on October 23, 2013
Last Updated on October 23, 2013
Tags: neverland, peter pan, tinker bell, reinterpretation, novel, fantasy, adventure, ya, teen

Author

DJ Nanni
DJ Nanni

Wappingers Falls, NY



About
I'm a professional graphic artist working in Westchester, NY. I write a lot and play video games in my spare time. @dannynanni more..