The Advent

The Advent

A Story by theslain19
"

Just an idea iv'e been playing around with. Maybe ill actually turn it into something.

"

There was a sudden sharp exhalation of breath from a cloaked girl, crouching behind a small, moss ridden boulder. She was in a forest, and the cause of the sudden gasp was because of the disturbing prospect she had just witnessed while eavesdropping in on her quarry. She quickly hunched down lower to the slightly damp ground, clamping a trembling hand to her mouth, her heart pounding and mind racing, trying to think of possible ways to escape if she was discovered.

For an unknown amount of time there was complete silence, as the demons had stopped conversing and were now, as the girl imagined, looking warily around themselves, their beady lustful eyes narrowed in suspicion. She was nestled behind a boulder that was perched precariously in front of a bowl shaped crevice in the forest floor, which happened to be the exact spot where the demon’s had been talking. “Anyone there?” bellowed the first demon. In her mind’s eye, the girl could imagine the demon, peering excitedly around its self, eyes gleaming maliciously in search of its next meal. “If you be human, you’ll do well to show yourself quick like,” the wolf demon called, its raspy voice grinding into the frightened girls eardrums. She could hear the building anticipation embedded in its voice and it sent a wave of eeriness up her spinal cord.


The girl continued to hold her breath, face turning a slight shade of crimson. She silently subdued herself by watching a mother squirrel scamper quickly across the mossy floor. Then with amazing agility and skill, observed as it bounded effortlessly up a tree toward the safety of thick tree limbs. Viewing this in slightly widened eyes, she suddenly wished she too could be a squirrel and scamper to the assuring heights of branches with a flick of her bushy tail. She jerked slightly as she heard the sound of large feet approach the boulder.

 

“I’m tellen you Ratka, there's not a soul ‘ere, you're being paranoid again,” came the slightly exasperated tones of the second demon, who had a deep, gravelly voice.

 

“I’ll ‘ave you know, my natural instinct ‘as saved me furry hide more often than not,” shot back Ratka, who seemed to be relaxing; but the girl could still sense his anticipation and was very sure his keen eyes were still searching, still scanning relentlessly for any tell-tale signs of an intruder.

“My intuition and brains ‘ave never let me down yet, an ability that you should exercise some time Bolgin!” sneered Ratka, who seemingly had stopped combing the area and veered again to verbally insulting his partner.

 

The girl slowly uncovered her quivering mouth; silently she pushed up, resting her back against the rock and clutching her knees to her chest, trying to make herself as small as possible. She quickly grabbed the trailing end of her scraggly green scarf as it was caught by a rush of wind, threatening to give away her position. She hastily tucked it inside her cloak just as another blast of air swept through the forest, rustling the shrubbery and scattering the leaves. She squinted up her eyes slightly as a particularly harsh burst of wind smacked her sharply in the face.

 

“Any way, you’re wastin’ precious time Ratka. You know our orders, were ‘posed to be looking for another human territory. We've already finished off and ate the last village, 'member?” said Bolgin seriously. The girl felt nauseous and sick as she imagined the expressions that the demons were wearing.

 

“Yeah, I 'member all right,” Ratka said. The smacking of lips and the slurping of a tongue could be heard clearly through the quite forest, “The whole lot of flesh bags tasted like a piece o’ heaven”.

Bolgin replied in agreement, “Ye got that right…..never in me life ‘ave I tasted flesh so tender…..and the women …..uh!” the deep-voiced demon grunted in content.

 The girl gave a start as she listened to the crude actions of the demons, trembling every time she heard them cackle with delight.
The forest was slowly dimming into darkness as the sun took its leave, bestowing upon the girl the last remnants of its comforting warmth. Yet its glorious rays could barely reach her through the thick and sheltering canopy of trees from above.

The cloaked girl continued to remain unmoving, keeping her ground, body shivering tremulously against the chilling winds. She was completely immobile, frozen in place by a mixture of complete shock and fear. Mulling over and experiencing the realization of what the demon's were talking about. Though surprisingly, even through her troubled state, she could not help but listen curiously to the two devils heightened conversation.

Summoning forth all her nerve, the girl dared herself to peek around the lip of the boulder. As she peered cautiously around the rock, she was relieved to see that both of the devils had their backs to her and were conversing so loudly, she needn’t even strain to eavesdrop. Through the growing darkness she could not make out any finer details than their outlines. At best all she could discern was a large hulking form, then a smaller and thinner outline.

“We’d better start ‘eading back,” Bolgin said with a hint of impatience. The girl could vaguely see the one huge devil look toward the sky, perhaps to watch the sun’s slow descent behind the thick over-growth of the forest.

“I’m not so sure bout’ that, Bolgin,” said Ratka. The wolf devil now had begun to stroke its chin and pace pensively around the area. “'Member what ‘appened last time? We should at least keep searchin’ until we find a trail---that way we ‘ave something’ to show commander in the mornin’, otherwise theirs no tellen’ what ‘e’ll do to us”.

“Ye got a point there,” agreed Bolgin, nodding his great furry head in the process.

“We’ll ‘ave to think o’ something," Ratka whispered, “something that won’t ‘ave us dead by dawn!”

There was a pause, then a silence; the girl used this privileged time to go over in her head what she had just over heard. If her ears had not deceived her, which they most probably hadn’t, these demons needed to find another human territory. Her heart fluttered feebly for a moment. It just so happened to be that her village was just a little more than a mile away from here. She shook her head numbly, staring at a patch of brown earth. What would stop these devils from trekking a little farther on, finding her village, then quickly report back to their commander? The fact was that there was nothing to stop them, nothing to impede there path, which was exactly why it frightened her so much. Except maybe...She quickly shook the foolish notion from her mind. There was no way.

 

© 2013 theslain19


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

It's a good start, the story line is good and there is some suspense there, with some work it could be a good book.

Posted 11 Years Ago


theslain19

11 Years Ago

Thanks a lot for taking the time to read. Yeah just an idea I've been playing with, perhaps in the f.. read more
Carolann Dowsett

11 Years Ago

Welcome :)

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

155 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on January 17, 2013
Last Updated on January 17, 2013

Author

theslain19
theslain19

Augusta, GA



About
Hey there! Not much to tell and I've always been horrible with these, so ill just give the bare bones basic. The names Carlos Corbin and I'm age 21. I hope someday to be an accomplished and published .. more..

Writing
n/a n/a

A Book by theslain19