Distant Disappearence

Distant Disappearence

A Story by Tess

Distant Disappearance

By Tess Fenerty

Time slowed. I watched as if from the small security camera sitting in the corner as my hand went slack in response to the letter. White parchment glinted coldly in the stark light as my tears dotted the perfect page. The government issued paper informed me of the disappearance of Bree Amyx.

********

Mary, Peter, and little Bree were all I had until last month. I had read the death report, and I can still picture what it must've been like.

The burning smell of an overwrought engine. The horrible sound of crunching metal as their vehicle flew into the base of the commerce building. To be a parent with no thought for yourself, but only for your shell-shocked child. Imagine placing your frail human body at the feet of the death crone for your only child, and facing one devastating fact. In a mere moment before death, understanding your baby will be hurt more than any parent could ever comfort.

Mary and Peter had moved onto the great beyond with the final act of shielding their child. The pair of them had protected Bree from the bony pale hands of death that had almost claimed her as their own. But now little Bree was good as dead.

Disappeared into time.

Millions of glass shards from the shattered cup stung the still air bringing me back to the tears running from the corners of my eyes. They dripped slowly on a scene of Shiva in meditation with his fierce tiger hide draped across his midnight blue skin. Still water dotted by lilies surrounded his steady feet. Shadows of past lives danced continuously behind his stoic still blue figure. Utter peace stared me in the face as I struggled to comprehend that Bree was gone. Exiled to any time or place. She was the only vestigial left of the peace  that had come with the notion of being loved. The three of them had brought me the only peace I had known for years. Now all of them were beyond my reach.

Bree was lost to time, the elusive god that manipulated ,weakened ,and entranced so many. The accursed thing we humans had sought to master forever and now that we had it conquered, it was our biggest regret.

Bree was without help, guidance, or escape. Lost in the deceiving shadows of time. There was no one to help her but me. Only if I went I wouldn't be able to come back ever...

At the bottom of the government document was a handwritten note-Please your Bree`s only hope my agency has given up already, no one is willing to sacrifice their life for hers-.

What was to lose my life was already in shambles. She could have a future. I was a lost cause. with no hope left in the hollow shell that I was. Although I was once loved by Mary, Peter ,and even little Bree who showed me so much love despite the thorny ,gruff exterior I had grow for myself.

Bree was still only twelve.

My mind spun, what was I thinking I had a future too. Prospects were opening up. I was standing on a thousand year old Indian rug worth at least five million dollars. A gift from my boss. Bree was an orphan no family, no money, and no prospects.

No she was more important. Bree was innocent, clean, a blank page she should live on make a place for herself I would follow her to where ever she was I would triumph over that elusive god; time.

My steady footsteps sent tremors through my heart with each step as if an earthquake was moving through my very  bones. I contradicted myself time and time again having a silent argument in my head. I had to hold on to a bit of hope. Hope that Bree was still alive if only to keep myself sane as I made my way slowly out my office door to Timetravel inc. Bree was coming home.

********

At 12:30 pm Tuesday 8, March 3075 I left never to return. I had already traveled too many times. My body would disintegrate into the ether if I attempted a return trip.

Despite the dangers of time travel it was the most exhilarating experience I had ever known. Even as my foot crossed The cold metal boundary for the last time ever I felt my heart pump adrenaline through my body with the steady constant flow of blood. I felt childish excitement bubble up from that delightful buoyant spirit buried deep, deep within myself. As the machines surrounding me began to whir drowning out the countdown I began to think to truly think for the first time in years. My mind  lurked and leered at the cowering, dangerous ideas hiding in the depths of my mind.

What is going to happen to me? Would I live? Was the past better? Was the past better for… and the light shattered before my eyes as I was thrown into the past.

Spinning in oblivion with zero control, all I felt was utter effortless freedom and free peace for a few instances before my feet steadied. I was in the year 2518. Five-hundred and fifty-seven years in the past.

My weary eyes adjusted to the shadowed forest floor canopied by green umbrellas reaching for the heavens. My smokers throat called out for Bree. While my feet crunched over dry yellow leaves the seeds danced around my head gracefully. Fabled birds of paradise sung their unearthly songs to the air as their entrancing plumage filtered through the intimidating trees. My ears identified the sound of little feet as they hurriedly stomped towards me. Bree ran to me encircling my neck with her scratched and bleeding arms. Her mighty bear hug dragged me down lovingly.

She clung to me so tightly it seemed as if she would never never let go. Finally when she fell away from me panting as her tiny chest heaved for air I knew she would never forgive me for what I would do next. Seeing the joyful tears stream out of her bloodshot overjoyed eyes onto her blotchy ,chubby ,baby cheeks I pulled her into one last hug. I strapped the return device around her minuscule wrist and sent her home.  With a snap of a finger she disappeared. I sat dazed staring after her. My old worn hand  reached out to touch the little girl I who was gone forever.

I still remember her face content with a last look of relief and security. I knew she would always remember that hug. The last goodbye hug she would ever let anyone give her, and the last goodbye hug I would ever receive.

© 2015 Tess


Author's Note

Tess
This is an experiment first sci-do story I've wriiten would really appreciate any reviews. This is also a first draft.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

71 Views
Added on February 12, 2015
Last Updated on February 13, 2015

Author

Tess
Tess

Writing
Humanity Humanity

A Poem by Tess


? ?

A Poem by Tess