Of Mice And Men prolouge

Of Mice And Men prolouge

A Story by threelittlebirds
"

enlgish assignment from a while back. edited it a bit.

"

 The golden California sun was a glowing, gently smouldering orange ball on the horizon. It cast long shadows across Weed and the remaining evening wanderers, scattered across the lonely town, gazed up at the pink and gold lit sky in awe. The clouds were wispy and long; perfectly complimenting the overstretched shadows. Busy raiding the bins with the freshly chucked leftovers were two beings completely indifferent to the idyllic sunset �" the two stray dogs searched for food in a companionable kind of way. Despite their obvious ease of companionship, their differences could not have been more obvious. One was large, if not a little bedraggled and worse for the wear, and obviously in charge whilst the thin, scraggly dog trailed a little behind the former. It was small and long haired and would have been comical if it hadn’t reeked of deprivation and squalor.

 

Two more strays sauntered down the gum-splattered sidewalk. Rather than paws, it was holed shoes that trod the cold stone. Despite their similarities with the dogs, the two men could not have contrasted more in any way �" the man in front had sharp, defined features and darting eyes. These were his only features that gave away his nervousness. He was always on edge, always on the lookout for danger. The other man was large, with soft features and he dragged his feet along the ground, shoulders hunched.

                          

As the two men approached a street corner, a woman with brown hair in neat ringlets rounded the same corner. She wore a velvety red dress which flowed elegantly to the ground and walked with confidence; it rolled off of her in waves. George spared her only a glance and a spat out, barely audible ‘skank’. However, Lennie’s wide eyes took in her dress, her conspicuous manner, her undisguised curves and he reached out a trembling arm. The woman paused. She stared. Then she shook herself and made  a show of trying not to catch the blundering man’s eye as she continued on past him.

Out of nowhere his hand shot out and he had a firm grip on her soft dress. Of course, the woman reacted. Badly �" she hit Lennie over and over and clawed at his unyielding clutch.

“Gerrof me! Help! There’s a madman tryna’ undress me! Help me!” Lennie was terrified, and in his blind panic he only tightened his grip around the material. There was a loud ripping noise and suddenly Lennie held a sizey piece of scarlet material. The woman’s dress was up to her stomach. There was a split second’s silence.

Then there was chaos �" the yelling and undignified jeering of what could only be a lynch mob. Lennie searched desperately for George. He could hear the mob coming closer and closer. The sun had sunk behind Mount Shasta and the sky was rapidly turning a velvety black. The strays streaked past, barking at the top of their lungs. And then Lennie was being pulled by the arm and someone was yelling in his ear:  “The irrigation ditch, Lennie, awright? The irrigation ditch!” 

 

 

© 2010 threelittlebirds


Author's Note

threelittlebirds
any good?

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

131 Views
Added on July 5, 2010
Last Updated on July 5, 2010

Author

threelittlebirds
threelittlebirds

Cambridge, United Kingdom



About
"He who knows nothing and does not know that he knows nothing is a fool - avoid him. He knows nothing and knows that he knows nothing is a simple man - teach him. He who knows but does not know that.. more..

Writing