Jem's excursion

Jem's excursion

A Story by Bree
"

My interpretation of what could've happened the night Jem left to retrieve his trousers from the Radley place in "To Kill a Mockingbird."

"
As I stepped outside into the night, I was consumed by the dark void. Every bit of confidence left in my body, and I was standing alone; wide-eyed and filled with pure terror. Every shadow, every plant, every inconspicuous blade of grass was Boo Radley watching me; preying on me like a hawk to a rat. I felt his eyes piercing into my soul, and I shivered. I turned to see the door in which led me into this immense darkness, but alas, it was closed. Scout no longer held in for me, and I began to realize that I should have listened to her advice. Nevertheless, there I was; alone and afraid. There was no turning back. 
I  took a wobbly step towards the Radley's place as I quickly glanced behind me to reassure myself that I was truly alone. I slowly crept towards the fence. With each step, I became more afraid. The shadows seemed to become darker, and the crunch resulting from each step amplified and echoed into the emptiness. I stood in front of the fence trembling. I felt Boo's eyes staring at me from a broken window. The violent bang of the shotgun echoes in my mind. As I felt a warm, salty tear slide down my cheek, I thought to myself, "Quit being such a girl, Jem. It's merely your imagination." The cold, crisp air filled my lungs as I took air fill my lungs as I took a few deep breaths, and the paranoia subsided. 
I stuck my hand under the fence to retrieve my pants only to find that they were not where I had left them. I began searching the ground, hoping that I was mistaken and left them elsewhere. My eyes strained in the darkness. I saw a dark figure, but I couldn't make out what it was. The fear of never returning home crept into my mind. I slowly moved towards it. What I saw was not Boo Radley. Instead, it was my pants; carefully folded and slung onto the fence. I couldn't recall leaving them there, especially not in their condition. 
"This is a trap," I thought to myself. "He must've known I'd come back for them."

With the pants in my grasp, I bolted through the vast darkness as far as my legs could carry me. I stopped to catch my breath under a streetlight and examined the pants. The gaping hole in the right leg no longer existed. Instead, it was sloppily sewn back together. I jumped in fear and dropped them. I contemplated leaving them there and began to walk away. 

"Afraid or not, I didn't go through all of this to return without what I sought after," I whispered to myself. 

I turned back. I ran home keeping the pants and arms length away and decided that I would never tell Scout anything about the entire outgoing. I returned to the only place that was safe; home. I quietly knocked on the back door. Scout peeped through the door. 

"Is that you, Jem," she asked in a soft, familiar whisper. 

"Yes, it's me. I got my breaches." 

She slowly crept open the door; careful so it wouldn't creak and alert Atticus. I slipped inside and headed straight to my cot without saying a single word. I trembled as I fell asleep. 

© 2017 Bree


Author's Note

Bree
I'm still revising the ending.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

69 Views
Added on June 20, 2017
Last Updated on June 20, 2017
Tags: to kill a mockingbird, adventure, thriller, story

Author

Bree
Bree

Atlanta , GA



Writing
What is Love? What is Love?

A Poem by Bree


Dreams Dreams

A Poem by Bree