Aspen

Aspen

A Story by Tierney Heilman

                "Life is only so long. Once you're in, there is no way out. You can't turn around, rewind or replay. It's every man for himself. It's a place where power corrupts minds; Peace and justice are a thing of the past. If you stand in the path of others, you will be pushed aside."

            Aspen stepped down from the microphone. Silence rung in his ears. His heart beat wildly in his chest, thudding in his head. Beads of sweat quivered on his brow, and slowly slid down the side of his face. His face glowed red, the spot light was hot and his heavy suit did not help. He swayed slightly, but stabilized himself by placing a supportive hand on the pandemonium.       Suddenly, a roar of applause echoed through the room. More than half of the crowd was standing, applauding and cheering for Aspen. A toothy smile spread from ear to ear on Aspen's  face. He probably would have fainted it if weren't for Carter Noble who stepped behind him, placing his hands on Aspen's shoulders.

            "Good job." He whispered quickly into Aspen's ear. Aspen turned to thank him, and shook the man's hand. He turned back to the stage exit and saw Elena sitting on the steps. She was bent at the waist. Aspen stared at her for a moment. As she rose up he realized she was bowing to him. He saluted her; unnoticed by Carter, or the raging crowd. She returned a smile, and then turned around and left out the side door.

            Aspen longed to chase after her, pick her up in the bright moonlight and spin her around. But, his feet were glued to the floor. His heart chased her, and in his mind he could hear her laugh as he ticked her sides. He could feel her smooth skin, and soft hair brush up against his face. Inside, he screamed and begged to be away from the stage, from the people, from Carter. He begged to be with Elena.

           

 

***

 

            Sometimes, you think you have a purpose, but really it's just a craving for something more. You think life is always better on the other side. Look at the title you hold, the possessions you own, and the atmosphere of the place you live. Now, look at your neighbor. How much happier are they then you? What do they have that makes you yearn for more? Someone is always going to be one step ahead of you, but you have to see that as a good thing. They are your testers. They make sure the ice is thick enough before you set foot on it; and if they fall through, you know where not to step.

 

***

 

            Things were not always fame. He used to live on a play structure.

            It was warm the night they left, and all the windows in the apartment were open. He remembers that. He remembers receiving a kiss on the forehead and a pat on the side of the face. He remembers the laughs, the friendship, and the sense of community. What he does not remember is the fear. The tears shed that night. He doesn't remember the crashing bottles, the vomit, or the blood.

            They left that night, after the lights were out and Aspen was sleeping. He doesn't know where they went, and he doesn't know why. The next morning, he awoke and found they had left.

            As a child you don't know much, you can't do things for yourself, you can't speak your own thoughts. A brain is only as complex as one allows it to be. If you expand your knowledge beyond gossip and rumor, you will notice a more intelligent you.

***

            Mr. and Mrs. Noble lived in a neighborhood in the suburbs of Thousand Oaks, California. They had a house big enough for a family, but not a family big enough to fill the house. They had been trying to have a baby for three years, and there hope was fading. It was fall. Leaves poured from the trees, and the air was crisp and dry. The days were cold, despite the California sunshine.

            Kat Noble was at Vons getting Halloween candy to pass out to neighbors and a few  miscellaneous groceries. She pushed the cart around the store, glancing down at her shopping list to refresh her memory about what to put into her cart. At the bottom of the list, cat food was written. It was clear to Kat that Carter had jotted that down for the handwriting couldn't have been messier. Kat pulled the cart up to the isle where cat food was displayed. She noticed the cat food was at the back of the isle. She mustered up some strength and pushed the heavy cart forward.

            All of the sudden, Kat stopped. She was surrounded by baby supplies. Food, diapers, toys, and treats. Despair engulfed her. Her heart ripped down the center like a piece of wet paper. Not again. She couldn't stand to look at these items that she would never be able to buy. Ditching the cart, she quickly exited the store. Tears steadily streamed down her face.

***

                        It was at that moment that Carter Noble finished moving the last piece of furniture into the room. He glanced around, holding his hands on his hips.

"Done." He murmured to himself.

            He walked across the room and opened a window. Beams of light strolled into the room, and dust danced in the air. Carter inhaled the smell of grass and leaves that now filled the room. A breeze blew in, teasing the mobile that hung about the yellow crib. Shadows cast over the cream colored walls quivered as the sun began setting. It was a good night.

            

© 2010 Tierney Heilman


Author's Note

Tierney Heilman
It isn't finished. I would like to know if it's good enough to continue, or if I should scrap it.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I'd keep going with it. It's interesting so far. I do like all of the quick, short scenes for right now, but I think later in the story, once most is explained, longer scenes will work better. I'm curious about all the relations of characters right now, along with the sort of musings by the narrator. In the first scene, I thought Aspen was giving like a valedictorian speech, which I think would be a pretty unique thing to do. But in that 3rd short section I got the feeling Aspen had become famous somehow, and after finishing all of it, thought the Carter's may have adopted him, unable to have a child of their own. All speculation of course, I might be off on some of my interpretations.

I definitely think there's enough here to tell and explore though, so I'd keep going with it.

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

I'd keep going with it. It's interesting so far. I do like all of the quick, short scenes for right now, but I think later in the story, once most is explained, longer scenes will work better. I'm curious about all the relations of characters right now, along with the sort of musings by the narrator. In the first scene, I thought Aspen was giving like a valedictorian speech, which I think would be a pretty unique thing to do. But in that 3rd short section I got the feeling Aspen had become famous somehow, and after finishing all of it, thought the Carter's may have adopted him, unable to have a child of their own. All speculation of course, I might be off on some of my interpretations.

I definitely think there's enough here to tell and explore though, so I'd keep going with it.

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

142 Views
1 Review
Added on October 25, 2010
Last Updated on October 25, 2010

Author

Tierney Heilman
Tierney Heilman

Portland, OR



About
Hey, I am a young writer. I don't really know if my writing is good enough for anything yet. That's mainly why I made an account. I just want feedback from people. more..

Writing