Secrets

Secrets

A Story by Tigerclaws
"

How far would you go to get back what is yours?

"

The Secret

Sitting quietly on the edge of the bed, holding my breath as much as I could, if I made the slightest sound and was heard, it would all be over, I would not be able to do what I had to do, get to where I needed to get to and retrieve my stolen things. It was so important to me to get my property back. 


The smallest sound made me jump and hold my breath more, I could hear the creaking on the steps as everyone in the house started to make their way to bed. I had to time this right, if they were still settling down to sleep then I would be heard in a second, I had one chance to do this and one chance only. After half an hour of waiting it was time, I had enough it was time to make a move.


Creeping slowly towards the bedroom door, I gently eased it open, looking around me, all the lights were out and all bedroom doors were open, if I got caught now I would have to think on my feet, say something like I was going to get a drink, that would be believable. Heading towards the stairs, the top one creaked a little, I froze to the spot, held my breath for the hundredth time and waited, no one spoke, no one got up, I made my way down the stairs one at a time, trying hard not to wake anyone or bump into anything, I knew that I could not chance turning the lights on. I had to make my way to the office which was at the back of the house. It seemed to take hours to get there but finally I was stood right outside the office door. 


This was it, my things were behind that door, in a safe on the wall. I knew where it was but all I needed was the code to it. I opened the door as gently as possible and stepped inside, closing the door behind me. Standing still I looked around for a little and allowed my eyes to adjust. 


There it was, the picture of a sunset in the distance, the safe was right behind there but I needed to find the code first. I scanned the room again and started to open and close desk drawers but there was nothing there that resembled a code at all. Where the hell could it be, I had to get that safe open, time was running out, I was sure to get caught if I was not back in the bedroom soon. I looked towards the bookshelf and one book just seemed to jump out at me, it had a weird title to it, The Comings and Goings of Thieves.


 Taking it from the shelf, I gave it a shake and a small piece of paper fell out, picking it up and opening it, I read the four numbers aloud, 6281, that was it, that had to be the code, quickly I lifted the picture off the wall, and tapped in the numbers, the light turned red, wrong, I was sure that I had typed the numbers in right, trying again, I tapped them more slowly, taking time. The light turned green, the door clicked open, that was it, I was in. Opening up the safe I peered inside, the brown envelope was there, victory was mine, I had my personal item back, my drugs were finally safe. Dad had found them a while back, what he was doing in my room I will never know, but he took them all the same. Taking them from the safe I stuffed them into my pocket, I would hide them much better this time. I noticed something else tucked away at the back of the safe, another brown envelope, I lifted it out and begun to open it. It seemed very official, just as I was about to open it open it and take a look the office door swung open and the light turned on.


“What the hell do you think you are doing?” Dad yelled at me.

“Nothing, I am so sorry Dad, I didn’t mean to.” I replied.

“I am so disappointed in you, and why have you got that envelope in your hand?”
“I just took it out and was about to put it back.”
“Did you look at it?”
“Not really, it looks official, I just wondered what it was.”
“Well I think that it is time that you had a look, seems your prying may get you into trouble one day and so its time.”

“Time for what?”

“Have a read and son, I am so sorry.”
“Sorry for what?”
“You will find out”

 

Taking the documents out of the envelope, I slowly opened it and had a look. It was something to do with an adoption.”
“Adoption, oh no, Sarah was adopted, so she is not really my sister?”

“Read it properly.”

My eyes scanned the letter then tears sprung to my eyes, it was about me, I was the one who was adopted, my parents were not really mine, Sarah was not my sister, I suddenly had no idea who I really was.

“I am.”
“Yes son, you are I am so sorry, we meant to tell you someday but i never expected you to go looking around my office.”
“You should have told me, I had a right to know, you were keeping a secret from me.”

“You were spying in my office.”

“You should still have told me.”

“And you should keep out of my business. You are lucky that we adopted you, a nice decent family. Now its up to you whether or not you do something about it, but first you put both envelopes back in the safe and lock it again.”
“This envelope is mine, this one should be mine, its about me. Now i think that I will go back to bed.”

“Sure thing but they stay.”
“I don’t think so.”

 

I started to walk towards the office door but my Dad, sorry this man who claimed to be my father, stood in my way.

“Move out of my way, I am not your son, these drugs are mine and you have no right to stop me.”

“I have every right since the day I became your foster Dad.”
“Why keep it secret? You told me never to keep anything from you.”

“We just felt that the time was not right, but we never meant to hurt you in any way.”
“Well you have, now if you don’t mind I have things to do.”


He soon moved out of my way, he knew that he was not going to get anywhere, i hated him, I hated everyone, all I wanted was what belonged to me, now, I have nothing, no-one. Secrets, they are harmful.

© 2017 Tigerclaws


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

74 Views
Added on May 24, 2017
Last Updated on May 24, 2017
Tags: secrets, short

Author

Tigerclaws
Tigerclaws

Surrey, United Kingdom



About
I am a newbie to writing and love taking myself to another world and putting my imaginations onto paper. more..

Writing
Creeper Creeper

A Story by Tigerclaws


Lost Lost

A Story by Tigerclaws