Rebound

Rebound

A Story by timburtonandme
"

A very short story of a naive young girl so overwhelmed in her feelings of love during heartbreak.

"

For the first time in my life, I could proudly say that I was actually happy, for a brief moment. Everything seemed perfect, laying on that silken double bed, next to him with my legs resting over his and my arms wrapped tightly around his waist. The ticking of the clock and the sound of his heartbeat echoed through the room slowly creating the essence of a love song that warmed me inside. No words were spoken and we found comfort in the silence that murmured itself with the almost love song that danced through the atmosphere. He gently stroked my hip with his thumb and his arms felt like a big cage that kept me safe, away from the dangers that hunted me down in this strange and dark world. I wanted nothing more than this perfect moment to last forever but deep down inside I knew that this love song would end for me soon and that it never even started for him. 


You know that feeling? When your heart keeps sinking into your chest and the deeper it sinks, the more you become numb inside. Sometimes it's hard to breathe and sometimes you don’t want to, just because it hurts too much. I can't quite describe in words what it was that I was feeling; that could justify my exact feelings but this kind of heartbreak was excruciating. I was always so afraid of losing him that I had eventually let him slip from my grip. The thing is was that, I couldn’t have lost him because he wasn't mine in the first place. But, those moments we spent together were honestly some of the best I've experienced in a very long time. The way he kissed my lips with his as if he meant it and the way he held me as if he was never going to let go made me feel like I was dancing on cloud nine and when he left, the clouds turned to dust and I was left alone to bury myself in dry and dark thoughts.  I can honestly say that I had fallen in love " but with someone who loved someone else dearly... and it wasn't me.


How stupid was I to have the audacity to think someone would love me as I loved them? I was not his lover that would be with him forever even though in certain moments, it felt as if I was. For I was just a comforting rebound to him but it didn't matter because I was his rebound. 

© 2016 timburtonandme


Author's Note

timburtonandme
It's a very short story but it has everything that it needs. It's nothing special.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

I like this a lot. It felt so relatable and the way it's written almost felt like that was a story in itself. Your phrasing and reflection, it was almost like a phone call you'd make at midnight when you couldn't sleep and you needed to talk but not just for yourself to hear. The ending line is what officially made this a great short story. There's regret muddled with sadness, but with the final phrasing, it's clear that even if there is regret it's possible there would be even more bitterness were the situation never to have happened.

Posted 8 Years Ago


timburtonandme

8 Years Ago

Thank you very much - I really do appreciate your review. :-)
BThomvanWart

8 Years Ago

You're more than welcome! :)
I love it! It has amazing describing sentences. Everything is worded very nicely.

Posted 8 Years Ago


timburtonandme

8 Years Ago

Thank you. :-)

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

222 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on December 12, 2015
Last Updated on June 16, 2016
Tags: rebound, heartbreak, love

Author

timburtonandme
timburtonandme

United Kingdom



About
Hello, my name is Jenny and I am a student currently studying Film Studies at Uni. In my world I'm cast away as a bit of an outcast and an introvert so other than my studies, writing stories/scree.. more..

Writing