High on Life

High on Life

A Story by A Girl

"Life hit me like a freight train."


That was supposed to be the opening line to my first novel. I thought of it one day when I was attempting to describe my life and it always stuck with me; it was catchy, and so, so true. Ever since I can remember, I have had an intimate love affair with writing. Language, in all of its magnificent beauty and immortal power. I am in love with the fact that a few, carefully chosen words, can describe something as complex as an emotion, as feeling.


Because of my love for writing, I entered college as an English major. One of the first things I learned, was that most beginning writers only knew their opening line, but had little clue as to what the following lines on the following pages of their novels would contain. I was one of those writers, but could never understand why. Looking back on it now I guess it was because I had so much to say that I caused myself to lose the ability of how to say it. I would stare at the blank sheet of electronic paper upon my laptop, and I watched the black bar appear and disappear. It was waiting for me to write something, but I just couldn’t; I was afraid. I couldn’t write because I feared rejection of who I was, even though no one ever read my work. It was as if I was waiting for permission of some sort, permission to express myself to the fullest of my ability.


I was lost, confused, and knew no other way to fill the void that my inability to create created, than to harm myself. The only thing I loved more than writing, was hurting myself. I would picture myself sitting alone in a dark room, high on pot and smoking my last cigar. I would picture myself drinking wine and cutting myself whenever I felt numb. It was strange, and maybe there’s something wrong with me, but all I wanted was to be beautiful - beautiful, and perfect. It was a lot to ask, but I prayed and prayed, and promised God that if he, she, or it allowed me to live up to my standards, than I would finally be happy and would never complain again. But after two years in an emotionally, mentally, verbally abusive relationship, I thought I’d never get to see that precious light of life again.


Then, suddenly, the universe spoke to me. It whispered to me; it whispered that everything was going to be okay. It told me that I was exactly where I was supposed to be, and it promised me that I was everything I had ever wanted.


To this day I’m still learning how to listen to God’s subtle whispers, and I suppose I will never be able to fully understand them until the day I die. But one thing I have learned is that the only thing that was holding me back was me, so I decided to return God’s favor by promising that one day I would love myself unconditionally. I promised that I would gather all my strength, and learn to love myself without the help of rock bottom.

 

Each and every day is a battle, but one day I won’t need or even want drugs to get high, to forget all my worries and to forget all my fears. I realize now, that all of God’s glory is flowing through me like a magnificent river, during every single second of the day.

© 2013 A Girl


Author's Note

A Girl
When I say "God", I'm not referring to any specific God from any specific religion. I simply mean The Divine Spirit.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

You really throw yourself out there in your writing, don't you? Just reading this short blurb I feel like I know you, I can sympathisze with you, I can feel your pain. That's really hard to achieve but you've done it. Great worrk

Posted 11 Years Ago


Not many people can write their feelings as clearly as you just have.

I was inadvertently nodding my head while reading. The feelings you have shared are truly unpleasant. You display their intensity, their coldness and most of all, their power.
I sympathize with you, the author, and i do hope you continue your journey to finding what it is you've seem to never have had. But perhaps your stop is closer than you think...
your writing is fantastic... i encourage you write write and write.
Well done.

Posted 11 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

192 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on January 1, 2013
Last Updated on February 6, 2013
Tags: High, life

Author

A Girl
A Girl

About
I'd love to tell my story, but I have not finished writing it yet. more..

Writing
The Corner The Corner

A Story by A Girl


Love Birds Love Birds

A Poem by A Girl


Taken Taken

A Story by A Girl