A Widow's Tale

A Widow's Tale

A Story by TK
"

A short story about a struggling widow

"

A Widow’s Tale

Standing at John’s grave-site, Mary finish crying as they were lowering his body into the ground. She wiped away her remaining tears and mourned in silence throughout the rest of the Priest’s speech. Then she watched sadly as the uniformed men folded an American flag and began to hand it to her. At that moment she peered down into her innocent, doe eyed twins’ faces and gave them a reassuring smile.  Following her smile, she released her hands from the twins grasp and proceeded to receive the flag from the fire chief. Before John died, he was a firefighter for ten years; he spent his last moments rescuing families from a burning apartment building. Mary knew the risks of marrying a firefighter, but she had never imagined anything like this could have happened.  Mary was startled from her thoughts when her son, Adam tugged at her blouse to let her know it was time to leave. He was so innocent, and so was his sister, Anna, they knew their daddy was gone, but not exactly what was going on. ‘They’re so young,’ Mary thought, ‘only five’. Walking away from the service, Mary could only feel was anger and resentment, how could her husband leave her like this, a jobless widow with two children? She immediately resented her negative thoughts and remembered her husband died a hero, he saved many people. She knew she had to be brave, and with that thought she prayed a silent prayer for herself and her small family.

6 Months Later………

Sitting in her home’s small library, Mary peered over her books. She sighed deeply while thinking that there was no way she could make it through nursing school, work part-time, and raise young twins successfully! She loved her children deeply, but they were a handful and very demanding sometimes.

Crash! Clink! Sounds of dishes rumbling alarmed Mary from her somber. She looked towards the kitchen and yelled, “Keep it down! I’m trying to study, guys.” She used her strictest voice, hoping that will give her a few more moments of peace so she can get through her anatomy study guide. Just then her son came bumbling, cheerfully into the room. His cheerful mood lifted Mary’s spirits.

He came and stood right in front of Mary, and while holding his bouncy ball he asked, “Mommy, can me and you, and Anna go outside and play?” His voice was very soft and light, it sounded so beautiful to Mary.

Mary regretfully answered, “Not now honey, mommy has to study and it’s getting late, maybe tomorrow.”

“Pleaseeeee,” he begged, and looked at her with his puppy dog eyes and continued to beg her silently.

‘Goodness, he looks exactly like his father,’ thought Mary. She sighed deeply and responded, “Baby, mommy has to finish her work, tomorrow I promise.”  Just then his sister appeared beside him. Mary stared endearingly at her twins and smiled. They will be six and starting school soon and Mary couldn't be happier for them…..and relieved. She only wished that her husband was still alive to see the kids grow.

As if her daughter was reading her mind, Anna looked up and pointed at a picture above the mantle and proclaimed, “Mommy, daddy a hero!

Mary smiled a bittersweet smiled and replied, “Yes, sweetie, he was.”

Anna then said, “Heroes help, Mommy. So Daddy will help you!” Then, just as quickly as they appeared, the twins vanished into the next room to watch television, it was time for Sponge-Bob. Mary turned her attention back to her work, but before she began she closed her eyes to say a quick prayer. While praying she could feel the presence of her husband encouraging her to be strong and courageous. She will get through this. With new-found energy, Mary opened her eyes and began attacking those tough true false questions, thinking of the future as she scanned the page.

© 2013 TK


Author's Note

TK
Please tell me what you think, and mention any mistakes. Thanks

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

I loved this. To be perfectly honest, my only complaint is that I want to read more!

Posted 11 Years Ago


TK

11 Years Ago

Thanks

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

193 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on June 11, 2013
Last Updated on June 11, 2013
Tags: drama, soldier, sad, love, life, death, kill, romance, depression

Author

TK
TK

Dade City, FL



About
Hello, I'm TK, and I am a strong, independent and reliable person. I currently take of retired veterans for the state of Florida, but I love to write. I share my stories with my residents and coworker.. more..