Winnipegger Grows Monster Tomato

Winnipegger Grows Monster Tomato

A Story by tomatoseed7
"

Tomato

"

tomato seedsYou will know it is working when a whitish mold forms on top of the liquid. Scoop it out with a spoon or add more water until the mold flows out. You will want to drain all of the liquid from the container, making sure to not spill any seeds. You should notice that the seeds do not have a gel coating at this point. Allow them to settle in the container; anything that floats is a dud and can be removed. Pour the rinse water out, again making sure not to spill the seeds.

A good friend of mine sent me seeds of this variety to grow because her daughter’s name is Indigo Rose, and give her plants. I received them late after I had started all my other tomatoes. I planted a few and only 1 sprouted so I kept it since next year, I will be able to start plants better from seeds I saved. The plant that did survive grew very fast and set fruit early. The heat of this year didn’t phase it at all. The small globes start off green with a deep blue black top. The bottoms turn to red as they ripen. Bred at Oregon State.

It should be remembered that the plant grows a little more with six to eight leaves, and the weather is warm enough, the plant can be finally transplanted to another bigger pot. When doing the final transplantation make sure that you dig in the seedling well in the soil with only four leaves above the ground. This is because, tomato plants develop their roots around the stem, and burying them deep into the ground will make sure that they have strong roots. Strong roots develop into strong plants and strong plants can bear healthy fruits.

The next step to growing tomato plants is actually planting them in your garden. You want to choose a location that has at least seven hours of sunlight every day. Prepare your garden bed by adding lots of compost and the correct amount of fertilizer to the soil. The combination of these two components should be about three inches deep before tilling. You should bury about 75% of the plant into the soil and then backfill with your compost/fertilizer/soil combination. Soon new roots will begin to emerge as the plant starts to shoot upwards.

This variety is a favorite of my good tomato growing friend Rob K. They do grow well here with lots of fruit as you can see in the plant photo. They are an Italian heirloom. They are variable in shape, this one often has an elongated neck so it is more of a bell/Bartlett pear shape. Click here to see a a display of them in Italy. *There seems to be another Belmonte circulating around that is a pink beefsteak type. This is NOT that tomato seeds.* This Belmonte originated from seeds straight from an Italian company.

© 2013 tomatoseed7


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

168 Views
Added on November 28, 2013
Last Updated on November 28, 2013
Tags: Tomato

Author