Ijapa and the birds

Ijapa and the birds

A Story by Tomi
"

An African folklore, normally told orally to children to pass down traditions and morals. I've forgotten how exactly this one played out, so it's a bit distorted.

"

Once upon a time, in the days when the animals still ruled the earth, the lion was king of all land animals while the Eagle reigned in the sky.


So it happened that there was famine in the animal kingdom. The rains had ceased for about two seasons and the animals were dying of hunger.  But the Ijapa (the tortoise) observed that the birds of the sky were looking fresh and well nourished. Their plumage were bright unlike the other animals that had their furs and skins looking scraggy.


So Ijapa cunningly accosted the Eagle and asked “hi Mr. Eagle, what are you birds been feeding on? Please help a brother”. The Eagle initially refused but after weeks of Ijapa’s relentless questioning, the Eagle reluctantly told Ijapa that they normally flew to a distant land to get food and water. The Tortoise pleaded to be taken along on their next journey which the Eagle also reluctantly agreed to.


When the time came for the birds to travel, each bird donated a feather to the tortoise the feathers were glued together and stitched to the shoulders of the tortoise to form beautiful wings.


When they got to their destination, the starved tortoise was so surprised to see so much food, he ate all that he could find and greedily filled his sack with whatever he could lay his hands on despite earlier warnings by the birds that he was only allowed to take away just enough food for his wife and children. This got the birds really irritated that they plotted to get back at Ijapa


While the birds were returning, mid air the birds yanked their feathers off the tortoise one by one leaving Ijapa wingless.  The tortoise immediately fell from up in the sky and broke his shell.


His wife helped him gum his shell back and that’s why till today, the tortoise’ shell is patterned roughly.

© 2010 Tomi


Author's Note

Tomi
Just something from childhood... nothing serious!

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

That was an interesting tale in the theme of: consequences and responsiblities. I like childhood stories, even typical, cliched' ones.

Posted 13 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

352 Views
1 Review
Added on October 14, 2010
Last Updated on October 14, 2010

Author

Tomi
Tomi

Lagos, Nigeria



About
Retired writer more..

Writing
Insomnia Insomnia

A Poem by Tomi


PWEETY LASS PWEETY LASS

A Poem by Tomi


A Part of You A Part of You

A Poem by Tomi