For The Love of God

For The Love of God

A Story by tom
"

God freezes time to discuss one mans fear of God.

"

Cars froze, without the trademark screeching of brakes. People stood still, mid-stride, birds hung statically above the head of Tony. Fear wrapped itself around his legs, hindering him from doing the one thing he wanted to do; run. His eyes bolted back and forth, looking at the blank faced men and women standing within reach of him, but totally useless. He could not fathom what was happening. He tried to speak to the man nearest him, but to no avail. His words no longer served any purpose.

Fear made him mimic the actions of everyone around him. Impotently, he waited. For what? He did not know. Suddenly wondering what he would have for his tea became less than secondary, unimportant.

 

“Good morning” The utterance echoed through the streets of London, reverberating from every wall in the capital. Contorting his neck in every direction Tony tried to find the owner of this voice. He looked at the businessmen that lined the street. He looked at the tramps that littered the doorways of the many shops, still he could not find the origin of this harrowing voice. “Up here, genius” Looking up, trying to ignore the intense ringing in his ears Tony saw a parting of the clouds, framing the blackness that stole his focus, a sight Tony had never seen before. The sky appeared to surrender a portion of the light to preview the night “Hello?” The fear made Tonys’ murmur barely audible.

 

“We finally meet” Tony hoped this was a dream, the possibility of waking up proved to strong a desire not to wish.“It’s not a dream” The voice corrected his thoughts, worrying Tony even more, if possible. “What are you?” Tony asked, having already ruled out human, not wanting an answer. Not wanting to be in this situation at all. 

 

“I’m God” Tony fell to his knees, a response God had grown accustomed to, but Tony offered it out of fear, not respect. “I hear you have Zeusophobia. Fear of God” Tonys’ heart rate increased, his palms grew moist, and his stomach tried to eject anything and everything he had ever eaten. “Why?” God asked the creature he had created why he feared him so. Tonys’ only reply was a shrug. He was not only being confronted by his only fear, but by the very thing that created everything. Good and bad. “Answer me, I’ve got a Four O’clock in Peru” God snapped.

 

“Omnipotent. Powerful. Like a giant Santa” He offered a list, too sacred to speak in sentences. Closing his eyes, tight enough to hurt, Tony wished he had not mentioned Santa. Damn you, Santa!

 

“Are you scared of Santa? Who’s not real by the way” Tony had not angered God, well not enough for any physical response, something he could put in the win column. “And there’s not just as much proof that he exists. Has he ever froze time and confronted you? Just answer me? Are you scared of the fictitious gift giving chubby fellow?”

 

“No” Tony kept his answers short, and tried to silence his thoughts with a gentle humming, not wanting God to read his mind and chastise him again. 

 

“Is it because he gives you presents? If he were real” God could not hide the contempt in his voice. Tony replied with a shrug again. “Isn’t my love gift enough?”

 

“I’d prefer a Playstation 3” Tony clasped his hand to his mouth at the boorish comment he had let slip.

 

“Is that anyway to talk to something you fear?” Tony vigorously shook his head, making a mental note to never speak to God like that again, a mental note he thought no one would ever have to make. “Look” God seemed angry at his lack of progress “tell me why you fear me and I’ll tell you why you’re wrong, and why I’m right”

Tony knew he had to tell him, he used up his angering allowance with his previous comments “You just seem..” Tony knew what he wanted to say, but feared the reaction it would evoke “to comfort with one hand and slap with another” Anticipation gritted Tonys’ teeth.

 

“Do you not think you need discipline?” Tony opened his mouth to reply, but God still held the floor “Have you tried controlling millions of you lot?” Tony had to concede he had not. “Do you know how hard it is to have the entire human race, the race I created, only speak to you when they want something?” Tony shrugged again, unsure what response would anger him least. “It’s hard you know, the devil doesn’t get this. Nooo!” Tonys’ fear began to subside as God continued his tantrum “All he has to deal with is drugs, and being the constant subject of Hollywood films!” 

 

Tony was beginning to pity God, and tried to comfort him “What about-“

 

“If you say anything about Mel Gibson I swear to me I’ll start smiting” Tony fell silent, the feeling of pity overtaking the fear at a rapid pace. “Anyway I have to go so..” God searched for the words to end the conversation on “Just” Again God looked for something life changing, profound, before giving up “Stop fearing me! Okay?” Tony mentally agreed to Gods terms, and before he could vocalise his thoughts the cars jumped back into action, the men and woman returned to their lives. Unaware that the creator had appeared and disappeared before their very eyes.

Tony did not follow the trend and remained frozen, trying to take in what had just happened, confused at ever fearing God. And feeling like a member of secret gang, privy to the information everybody longed for.

 

God, watching the weight lift from Tonys’ shoulders, ticked his name from his giant to-do list. “Next?” Scanning the scroll he held in his hand God found his next task “It’ll take me forever to do this. Maybe I should put these things in some sort of order, this war things really getting out of hand”

 

© 2010 tom


Author's Note

tom
Every review welcome

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

80 Views
Added on August 19, 2010
Last Updated on August 19, 2010

Author

tom
tom

sunderland, United Kingdom



About
hi. I am a 26 year old psychology graduate who has always loved writing and I have been doing it seriously for a couple of years, but have yet to be published more..

Writing
Goodbye Goodbye

A Story by tom