Like Old Times

Like Old Times

A Story by TopHatGirl
"

Ella runs into an old flame at a bus stop. But will she reopen her heart for him again?

"

      I was at the bus stop, holding an umbrella above my head, trying to keep dry. My mind was nowhere, today had been just another bleak, depressing day. I  checked my watch again, the bus was late, by 15 minutes. I tapped my foot impatiently. In the corner of my eye, I saw a boy my age hurrying to get to the bus stop. I ignored him. He tried to walk past me, but ran smack into me.

    I was knocked to the ground, the contents of my bag spilling everywhere. I  hurried to gather everything. The boy helped me, and when everything was back in place he stood up and helped y to my feet.

     "I'm sorry." he said.

    "'Tis okay." I grumbled, then looked up at his face. I gasped, so did he. "D-d-David?" I stuttered with disbelief.

    "Ella?" he asked. I nodded slowly. "Oh, my god. I haven't seen you since sixth grade!" he exclaimed.

    "It's been a long time." I agreed.

    "Wow. You look so different, so much...older." he said, his eyes sweeping over my face.

    "Well, it's been nearly a six years since we've seen eachother." I said. He nodded. Then he checked his watch.

    "Look, I have about an hour until I have to go. You wanna go get some coffee?" He asked. I smiled.

   "Sounds good." I said.

  ++++++++++++++++++++++

   We went to a local cafe, and sat down. I ordered a douple chocolate cappuccino, he orderd just plain black coffee. His messy black hair covered his eyes, so I couldn't see his expression. He looked just like he did in seventh grade. Cute nose, goofy grin. But, I was so much different. After he left I changed. I left my hair alone, so it went back to it's original brown, no bright colors at all. I actually studied in school,and got pretty decent grades. My parents approved, they never did like David anyways. A bad influence, they said. For so many years, I believed them. But sitting across from him now, I began to doubt it.

   "So," he began, taking a sip of coffee. "What have you been up to?" he asked. I sighed.

   "Oh, nothing much. I just got accepted into Columbia." I said, wanting him to be impressed. He gagged momentarily on his coffee, then swallowed.

   "Columbia University?" he asked, suprised. "What happened to the Ella who got C's on her report card and never did a piece of homework in her life?"  I had an urge to stick out my tongue at him, just like old times. I resisted it.

   "Yep." my lips popped on the P. "I want to become a reporter." I explained. He laughed.

   "Yeah, that sounds like you. Always taking little surveys of people, reading every newspaper in sight." he said. I laughed, remembering.

   "So, what have you been up to? Still going to become a pro Nascar driver?" I asked. He chuckled.

    "No, I dropped that dream a while ago. I'm going to Juilliard to become an actor." he said.

    "Juilliard? Well, you were always good at lying, so you could be a good actor." I joked. He playfully kicked my foot. 

    "At least we'll still be in the same state. We could see eachother..." he trailed off, and I got what he was hinting at. I shook my head.

   "Dave, no. We can't start dating again, it...it was too hard last time." I remembered that first kiss, the forest between our houses, the moon...My heart leaped at the memory. David lowered his head, staring at his empty cup.

   "Ella, I-I-I'm so sorry about what I did to you. Just abandoning you like that, after I told you I was going to move...I never even said goodbye. I'm such a jerk." he said. I gently rested my hand on his sholder, and he looked up at me. I could see his eyes, like brown chocolate. Suddenly, my heart was in my throat and I couldn't breathe. After a few long seconds, I managed to choke out,

   "You want to take a walk outside?" He nodded,and after I grabbed my umbrella, we left. We walked down the street, the atmosphere thick with silence. It was...awkward. After a long time, we stopped. I bravely grabbed his hand, and he squeezed it. Just like old times. He turned towards me.

     "Ella, I know you don't have any feelings for me." he whispered. I laughed, but it sounded strained and forced.

    "Are you kidding me,David? I have always loved you." I said. He leaned over and kissed my softly on the lips. I ruefully pulled away. "But."

    "But?" he asked.

   "I've matured. I've grown up." I said sadly. "I don't think I can handle a relationship right now, mostly because I can't handle having my heart broken again." I said. He nodded.

   "I understand. But I'll wait for you. I'll wait another five years if I have to." he promised. I smiled.

   "I'm sure you will." I whispered. Then I kissed him on his soft lips, then walked away, leaving him this time. ***

   

 

 

   

© 2009 TopHatGirl


Author's Note

TopHatGirl
So You Think You Can Dance inspired this one. If you saw last nights show, and the dance Travis Wall choreographed, you'll understand this. If you didn't, then review anyways.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

to me it seemed as if she was getting her revenge on him. the lines "I'm sure you will." I whispered. Then I kissed him on his soft lips, then walked away, leaving him this time." changed my viewpoint,. up until then, she seemed like she liked him, but those lines made me think that shes just trying to get revenge. good story, even though i may not have gotten the point of it.

Posted 13 Years Ago


Ooooh, very ver ingtuiging and mysterious and I LOVED IT! Pleeeeease tell me they get together and get married and bla bla bla!

Posted 14 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

184 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on November 19, 2009
Last Updated on November 19, 2009

Author

TopHatGirl
TopHatGirl

[Redacted], NV



About
Hi, I'm TopHatGirl! If you're here about my character lessons or to get some advice, email me instead of messaging at [email protected]. This is because I don't go on this site as much anym.. more..

Writing
chapter one chapter one

A Chapter by TopHatGirl


chapter two chapter two

A Chapter by TopHatGirl