Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5
What Have I Done?

What Have I Done?

A Story by TopHatGirl
"

Never make a deal with the devil.

"
   "You...." My ribs shake with every cough. "b*****d," I manage to choke out. He laughs, sounding like a pig letting out its last squeal before the chop.
   "That's what you get for making a deal with the devil," he says. Tears blind me, and I cradle the small golden locket in my palms. Isabella, I think in agony.
   "Oh, come on, David. Your life is saved, your cancer is gone," he says, a glint in his eyes.
   "But at what cost?" I whisper to myself. He chuckles deeply, and it sends waves of terror down my spine.
    "I told you at the beginning, that if I save your life, then another must go." He cracks his knuckles.
    "But why her?" I shout to him, and the whole world seems to rumble.
    "Because I'm so deliciously evil, David. You know that." Then he turns to leave. I extend my arm, grasping nothing.
    "Wait," I plead. He stops.
    "Yes?" he asks.
    "Take me instead. J-just bring her back." My words are shaky, unsure. He gives out a short laugh.
    "I can't do that David." he pauses for a minute, mulling. "But since I do pity you terribly, I'll leave a gun here. DO what you like with it." He walks out, snickering. And I'm left alone with my thoughts. I open up the delicate locket. Inside is a picture of us. Isabella and Me, laughing at our trip to Disneyland. My tears land on the picture, blotching it. That was our last picture together before I was diagnosed.
     What have I done? I think. My eyes flicker toward the gun. I reach out and grab it. It feels warm in my hands. My ticket to forgetting. I put it to my head.
     "I'm sorry, Isabella," I whisper, then I pull the trigger.

    

© 2010 TopHatGirl


Author's Note

TopHatGirl
A short story. Notice I never identified who 'he' is. I wanted you to decide his identity.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Wow. This was powerful, a punch to the gut. I really enjoyed reading this. It was such a good, creative, yet sad story. keep writing~!

Posted 13 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

151 Views
1 Review
Added on June 2, 2010
Last Updated on June 2, 2010

Author

TopHatGirl
TopHatGirl

[Redacted], NV



About
Hi, I'm TopHatGirl! If you're here about my character lessons or to get some advice, email me instead of messaging at [email protected]. This is because I don't go on this site as much anym.. more..

Writing
chapter one chapter one

A Chapter by TopHatGirl


chapter two chapter two

A Chapter by TopHatGirl