The Fate

The Fate

A Story by tracikenworth
"

Two warring people form an alliance.

"

The Fate

Traci Kenworth

 

 

I held my breath as the Fate approached. This mission must be handled delicately

and as Jetu, I was in charge of making our guest welcome. No matter, my repulsion. The slick, rubberlike skin of the visitor drew many an eye around her. I felt the shift in my teams around me. My gaze lifted to what I’d been informed was a female of the species. Who could say beneath all that grit?

            I pasted a smile on my face. Diplomacy. The word spoke volumes in how I was to proceed in this. The woman, at last, reached me and I held out my hand. My guest placed her own atop in greeting.

            “I am Shahck. My people send their regards.”

            “Jaimco. As do mine.”

            Shahck regarded me. “You look much like your brother.”

            I stiffened.

            “He died quite well. You should be proud,” She swept her hand to include all guards, “that it led to this meeting.”

            I cut my smile on a reply.

            Beside me, Natu put a hand to his weapon.

            She lifted an eyebrow. “Such measures are unnecessary. I merely meant it as a compliment to his sister. I’m here on a matter of extending friendship to your people. Do you still wish it?”

            We had no choice.

            I relaxed my posture. “Of course. That is why we are here.”

            She nodded. “Long has our species been at war with the Akara but we want to change that. We must change that. If we are to survive.” She began to walk and I fell in beside her, Natu at our backs. “This offering of peace, I admit, is a first for my people. Usually we plow through our enemies with no sympathy for their plight. But today is a different day. Our numbers are dwindling, we need this alliance to go on.”

            I paused. “What exactly are your people prepared to do to demonstrate this act of friendship?”

            She allowed a smile to flit across her features. “I am here. I assure you if there were any treachery involved in this proposal I would not. You are a general of sorts, are you not within your people?”

            I nodded.

            “Then you understand how it feels to step forward into your enemy’s territory and offer a hand.” She crossed her arms behind her. “I was not fond of the idea, to be sure. I, too, lost a brother to the Akara.”

            Tears wet my lashes. “I didn’t know.”

            “Most don’t. He was young, impulsive. In a hurry to make a rank for himself.” She sighed. “My heart still has not recovered from his loss, as I’m sure neither has yours. I tell this to you not to gain your allegiance, but perhaps a seed of understanding.” She started off again. “As for what we will extend: our army, of course. We will stand side by side with the Akara people and cut down any creature which dares come against us.”

            I shivered in remembrance of their fighting techniques. “And the Deo-Libertais Society? What of them in this?”

            She sneered. “They will be play toys beneath our fingers.”

            We came to the meeting tent. Inside waited various Elders and leaders of our people. They would want to hear what Shahck had to say. Before I could pull the tent flap back, a Hollow landed in our midst, lips peeled back to cougar-thick incisors. Shahck merely reached out to the creature. Nails pushed through her fingers. With a shriek of battle she dissected it on the spot.

            Blood sprayed onto my black clothing as well as my face.

            I stared at the shredded body parts and glanced up at Shahck.

            “Think of it as a present. A sign of faith that we stand these last days with the Akara. Come what may. Our blood will mingle with your blood and old history will be buried forever. Do not the Fates speak of this?”

            “They do.”

            She gestured to the tent. “Then, come, friend. Let us partake of the festivities and enter into war as one warrior against these fiends.”

            The day grew brighter and birds began to sing.

           

© 2011 tracikenworth


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

89 Views
Added on March 11, 2011
Last Updated on March 11, 2011

Author

tracikenworth
tracikenworth

Ohio City, OH



About
Hi. I write YA Supernatural Horror. I'm a member of YoungAdultFictionFanatics or YAFF, Totally4YA, and YAChitLit. I also write western and time-travel romances and am a member of Romance Divas. more..

Writing