Another Victory In the Brockton Forest

Another Victory In the Brockton Forest

A Story by Annie Nicole

Part 1

In a faraway land past the blue oceans and the grassy fields, lies the Brockton Forest of Timbridge, where you will meet the trolli-elves. These creatures are small as the fairies, as brave as the warrior elves, and they protect the forest. Hidden among the trees, they wait for their enemies, the evil hoverers, or as they are more familiarly known as humans. With their large feet and loud voices, the humans could destroy the gardens of the fairies, or invade the Morbin caves of the trolls in a matter of seconds. So, a trolli-elf’s job is very important, if not essential to all other creatures of this land.

On this particular fall day, the trolli-elves are having a music festival to celebrate the changing of the seasons. Their love of autumn, almost greater than their passion for music, inspire them to dress in the reds, yellows, and oranges given by the tree leaves. Since winter will be everywhere among the forest very soon, the trolli-elves try to enjoy every part of the beautiful fall season.

You can hear the elves practicing their flute melodies all along the brooks and rivers. Sitting on a red rock, you will meet Adeline, daughter of Elvine. Being a trolli-elf herself, Adeline is enjoying the music being played by everyone around.

“Hello Adeline!” says a younger elf named Toby, “How very exciting this all is!”

“Oh yes indeed! Is your mum and pa coming?”

“They should be here any minute. My pa made me this new flute yesterday so I could join the others later tonight!” he raised his newly carved flute to Adeline.

“Why Toby, your father did a lovely job! You should be very pleased with him. Here, would you like to join me on this rock and wait for the leaders to arrive?”

“Yes of course, thank you miss Adeline!”

The other elves who were enjoying the music instead of participating, were beginning to show up. The leaders of the Trolli-elves would soon be arriving to welcome everyone and thank those of the elves who would be entertaining. Morfin cakes, which are a lot like muffins to a human, were being sold by the bakers and market places. Droplets of water from the fresh stream were being handed out in leaf bowls as refreshments.

All elves who were practicing their notes and melodies stopped what they were doing and stood up. The leaders, queen and king Holland, were approaching the festival scene. Loud “hip-hip-hoorays!” were being shouted from all directions of the forest in honor of them. “Toby Look!  Queen Holland looks beautiful don’t you think?”    

            “Oh Adeline, she is magnificent!” Toby stood up and clapped as loud as he could.

“Good evening to all of the trolli-elves on this fine night! We have an exciting show for all of you to enjoy!” King Holland was very pleased with his musically talented elves. “After defeating the last invasion of the humans, I can say with great pride that we all deserve this wonderful night! May the music bless your hearts with peace and love, and may all your worries fade away! I am proud to present to you, the folk�"elf orchestra!”

With a last spur of happy cheering, the crowds of elves, all seated on either rocks or up in the tree branches, quieted down for the entertainment to begin.

Part 2

            Once the first part of the show finished, the music stopped for a break so everyone could get up and move around. “Toby, I need to go look for my sister Alice. She was supposed to be here a while ago.” Alice was Adeline’s twin sister and she should have arrived before the show had begun, but Adeline had forgot all about her coming until now.

            “May I join you on your search for her?” Toby had always admired Adeline and he loved to spend as much time with her as he could.

            “Oh I guess that would be alright. But you mustn’t stray away from me. I wouldn’t want to lose you and have your mum and pa angry at me.” Adeline, being a few years older than Toby thought she had to be some sort of a guardian toward him.

            “I promise I’ll be by your side the entire time we are gone.” With those last few words, Adeline and Toby went on their way to find Alice.

            Calling her name every once in a while to see if she was nearby, Alice seemed to be nowhere close. “Where could she possibly�"”

            “Adeline! There you are, I went to our rock but you were not there, so I went looking everywhere for you.” Alice was out of breath as if she had been running around all day.

            “Looking for me? I have been looking all over for you.” Adeline was a bit confused but she was just happy to see that her sister was alright. Alice pulled her sister over near a tree, leaving toby still in their sight…

            “I need to tell you something…”

            “What is it Alice?” Adeline could tell that there was something wrong by the way her sister was acting.

“Strong winds are blowing from the west… The grounds near the valleys are shaking… The rivers among the mountains are frozen…” Alice had complete fear in her voice and her eyes showed that she was nervous.

“What do you think�"?”

“Humans Adeline! There coming and they aren’t too far away. We need to tell king and queen Holland… quickly!” Alice grabbed her sister’s hand and pulled her onward. Adeline had been so distracted with what her sister had been saying that she forgot about Toby.

            People were beginning to go back to the festival when Toby noticed that Adeline and Alice were gone. “Adeline!? Alice!? Where are you guys?” Toby had been playing with the young lady bugs and caterpillars until he realized that he hadn’t been paying attention to everything going on around him. “Hmmm… well I guess I will follow everyone else. They must know how to get back to the festival.” When he saw the trolli-elves on stage with their flutes ready to play, Toby knew how to get back to the rock where Adeline and Alice must be.

            While Toby was heading back to the rock, Adeline and her sister were trying to get to the king to tell him about the humans. “Oh there they are Adeline!” As soon as they saw queen and king Holland they rushed over to warn them. “King Holland! Oh how glad I am to see you!”

            “Why hello daughters of Elvine. Isn’t this a lovely festival we are having?” The king was completely calm and relaxed, obviously unaware of what was coming.

            “Yes, tis a lovely evening indeed… but you see… I am afraid I have some bad news.”

            “Bad news? On a night like this? How could there possibly be any bad news. You see�"” the king began to talk in his manner of never stopping to let anyone have a word, “we have banished the humans, and the waters are flowing so very nicely, the valleys are calm and…”

            “But king Holland! That’s what I am trying to tell you!”

            “Young lady, do have any excuse to yell at me on such a nice occasion?” Alice felt like giving up.

            “Why Holland, will you let the child speak?” Queen Holland didn’t hesitate to disrupt her husband’s stubbornness, “Please miss Alice continue dear.”

            “Thank you,” Alice was thankful for the queen’s assistance, “well, you see…”

            “Allow me Alice?” Adeline could see that her sister was beginning to get tired. Alice nodded, allowing her sister to take over. “King and Queen Holland, my sister here, has some worries that Humans may be near.”

            “Humans!? Near here!? Why that’s impossible.” The king was too proud of how they defeated the humans on their last acquaintance to even think about more humans coming. The queen on the other hand had a different opinion…

            “Oh yes. That would explain a lot. Holland, we did feel something mighty strange coming through the valley just before arriving here. We just hadn’t been able to believe that it could be humans after getting rid of them just days before.” King Holland began to realize that it may be possible for humans to be back.

            “Well in this case we must tell the others, we don’t want any surprises.” The king stood up and started toward the stage to announce the unsettling news. “Hello everyone! This night has been a lovely occasion and I am greatly saddened to tell you all that we are going to need to end it at this time,” the crowd was filled with confusion, “I have been informed that there may be humans coming from the West End we need to prepare if this is true.” All of the trolli-elves gasped in fear. To even think that they would be endangered by humans again so soon, created an awful feeling in their stomachs. “All parents and children please make your way to the underground tunnels until I have received further information about the enemy’s arrival. All soldiers and guards gather together at the service hollow tree so we can begin our plan of defense.” It was quite obvious that the king was disappointed with the occurring events.

            “You two should go along and find your mother and head to the undergrounds.” Queen Holland sent Adeline and Alice on their way. There was no time to be wasted.

            While this was all happening, Toby began to realize that he was lost. He had traveled too far away from the festival and he hadn’t heard King Holland’s speech about the humans. Completely unaware of the danger nearby, he still tried to find his way to the rock.

            “Adeline, we must get to mother, she doesn’t know about the humans.” Alice was beginning to panic as she fully realized what was happening.

            “Yes Alice, let’s go,” Adeline took her sisters by the shoulders as they rushed home. Once they reached their dome near the green meadow they told their mum about the humans and began to pack a food pouch.

            “That looks like everything we need, alright darlings let go.” Mrs. Elvine limped as she headed toward the door. She had gotten hurt by one of the human’s a wolf-like creatures from the last time they were in the forest.

            “Mum, won’t you let us carry you?” Alice thought it would be the best way. Mrs. Elvine agreed and let them lift her. Soon, they would be at the underground tunnels where they would await more information about the humans.

            When they got there, trolli-elves were pacing in worriment. The twins had found a stump to set their mother on to rest and the two of them went to go see if anyone knew anything. “Daughters of Elvine! Over here!” a voice called to them. It was Mr. Morris, the guardian of the tunnels.

            “Hello Mr. Morris, what is happening out in the forest?”

            “Oh deary, I am very afraid it is not good. Alice, you were right, there are humans coming, and to think no one else noticed. You should be very proud of yourself for being so aware.” Alice smiled to thank him.

            “Is there anything we can do to help?” Adeline asked.

            “Well, I guess you could be useful to help with the children. They are quite frightened.” It was then that Adeline remembered…

            “Toby,” Adeline was angry with herself for leaving his side, especially since she told him to stay nearby. Alice looked at her sister with wide eyes.

            “Maybe he is here Adeline, let’s go look.” Alice tried to convince her. They went looking around, running up and down the tunnel halls. Calling and shouting “Toby!”

            “Oh! You! Have you seen my boy?” Toby’s mum stopped them.

            “Oh Mrs. Mansell, I am so sorry, it is all my fault that he is not here,” Adeline began to tear up as she felt that she put Toby in complete danger, “Please don’t  worry Miss, I am going to find him.” Mrs. Mansell nodded as she wiped a tear from her face. “Alice, I’m going out there, and you must stay here to take care of mum. If I do not return, you mustn’t wait for me. Take care of yourself, I love you as much as an elf can.” Adeline pulled her sister in for a hug and then ran out of the tunnel toward the forest.

Part 3

“I think I have seen this tree before.” Toby looked around, everything looked the same and yet so very different each step he took. The sky was beginning to lose the sun and the moon wasn’t very bright to guide him back home. A whistling wind blew through the tree tops and suddenly… the pebbles and sand on the ground began to shake. “Humans.”

 

Adeline sensed that Toby wasn’t too far away by putting her ear up to a tree. The trees always knew everything, all you had to do was listen. Every now and then, the whistling wind put chills down her back. She was so very scared to be out with no guard for help if she was in need of protection. Just passing the stage where all of the trolli-elves had been enjoying themselves peaceable before the news, Adeline heard something crinkling in the leaves behind her. She ran behind a mushroom and tried to calm her breathing so she wouldn’t be easily heard. After a few seconds had gone by and she hadn’t heard anything, she peaked out from her hiding place. There before her eyes, was a trolli-elf in a red-leaved cloak. “Toby!” she ran to him and hugged him so tight he squealed for air. “I am so happy to see you! We need to get to the under�"“

“But wait Adeline… I think there are humans nearby. I heard the wind from the west.” Toby thought he was telling her something she didn’t know and was surprised that she didn’t look more worried.

“Toby, I know about the humans, they are already here. We need to hurry and get to the tunnels.” Without waiting for his response she jumped to a tree branch and waited for Toby to come along. The travel would be long without the light from the day and the air was set with a permanent night chill.

The two of them were getting closer to the tunnels until they were stopped by the sound of loud thuds shaking the forest ground. Adeline fell from the tree, pulling Toby with her. “Wha�" what was that?” Looking around, Toby froze. “The evil hoverers!” Adeline put her hand over Toby’s mouth to keep him from screaming.

“You have to be quiet,” Adeline whispered, “Humans can hear everything.” Fortunately, she wasn’t aware that humans couldn’t possibly hear them since they were so small.

“What are we going to do? The humans are blocking our way.” Adeline looked at Toby and didn’t know how to answer his question.  But then, Adeline remembered who could help.

“I know how to get us out of here. The Great Owls.” The great owls are the head guardians of Timbridge. They are stronger and more knowledgeable than the trolli-elf defense army, and it was for sure that the Owls could save Adeline and Toby. “All we have to do is find a good leaf to write our request for help on and then send it with the Eastern winds.” Toby searched for a large enough leaf.

“Here is one.” Toby lifted a leaf that hadn’t changed its original color yet.

“That’s perfect Toby!” Adeline cheered quietly. She then found a charcoal stone for a writing utensil and got two larger rocks to sharpen it. She began to write…

~

IN DANGER. IN NEED OF HELP. ADELINE, DAUGHTER OF ELVINE. TOBY, SON OF MANSELL. HUMANS NEARBY. LOCATED NEAR STREAM OF BROCKTON FOREST. COME SOON.

        WITH GRADITUDE,

           ADELINE ELVINE & TOBY MANSELL

~

Adeline then folded the leaf and jumped up toward another tree branch. “Eastern winds, I am calling on you to deliver this letter to the Great Owls of Timbridge. We are in great need of their help.” Letting go of the leaf, Adeline watched as the winds took hold of the letter and brought it toward the Great Owl kingdom.

Toby and Adeline sat while they waited, still hidden by the leaves. Humans had come and left repeatedly in a matter of minutes. “There are so many.” Adeline didn’t like the sight of so many humans entering the forest so quickly. She was reminded of the last time they had come. Her pa, Mr. Elvine, had been with the defense army at the time. They had been trying to move the Humans out when one got a hold of Mr. Elvine and brought him to their lands known as the West End; a place where a trolli-elf would never be naturally found.

Meanwhile, at the Great Owl Kingdom, the guardian leaders, Theocross and Leland were waiting for signals of help needed. They too, were informed of the humans and were especially not happy with them being so near. Humans meant ruined habitats, and it would be the Great Owls who knew the most about having their homes destroyed by humans. It was when the winds blew by Miss Leland that the leaf finally arrived. “Theo look! It is a letter. The letter is from daughter of Elvine and son of Mansell. They are hiding from the humans in the Brockton Forest.”

“I’ll gather the others, it’s time to go my dear.” Theocross flew to the other owls to inform them of the request for help.

“I’ll be sure to fly with Miss Leland to find the two elves.” Kashra, a very repsected owl of the flock.

At this time, all of the Great Owls gathered in formation to set off into the sky.

It didn’t take long for the Great Owls to reach the forest and begin their search for the humans. Melodroth, one of the younger owls, was the first to spot a human about to cut down a tree. Theocross commanded three soldiers to deal with the situation below them.

 Meanwhile, Leland made sure her top priority was finding Miss Adeline and Toby to bring them to the tunnels. Quickly, Leland and Kashra were able to find the two trolli-elves resting on a high tree branch. “Adeline and Toby, up here!” Leland landed on a branch beside the two elves. “I received your letter and I am going to bring you two back to the tunnels.” She waited until the two elves could climb on to her claws where they would hold on for the ride.

“Thank you Great Owl! We thought our letter got lost, but thank goodness it did not.” Adeline wanted to repay Miss Leland for saving them, but what could possibly be worth enough to give a Great Owl.

“Oh dear, please call me Leland.” As soon as she got a good grasp on them, Leland took off into the sky. Kashra began to fly closer to the tree tops just in case there were others in need of help.

It had seemed as though everything was going to be alright, and that Adeline and Toby would be reunited with their families very shortly. However, it was then that a loud shout came from the ground. “Look up there!” it was humans calling up at them.

“Leland watch out!” Toby shouted up to her.

“Don’t you worry child, they cannot touch us. Humans don’t have the ability to stop an owl from flying.” From there, Leland pulled the two trolli-elves closer to her and spread her wings out further to catch the eastern winds. They began flying through the air faster than they had been. Soon the humans gave up on trying to catch them and turned around, being abruptly faced with more owls where they would fight against one another. The Great Owls have a great advantage when it comes to battle and could overthrow any human most of the time. These particular humans did not seem to be nearly prepared as they should have been. Fortunately, the battle would be easily won.

Soon joining Leland and the two trolli-elves, were Kashra, Melodroth and some of the other Great Owls. Now flying all together, they were getting closer to the tunnels where they would drop the trolli-elves off and then resume to push the humans out of the forest by tomorrow’s sun rise.

“Here you go,” Leland flew to the ground and released Adeline and Toby, “It was a pleasure to be in your company.” Without a word from either elf, Leland took off into the sky and joined the other owls where they headed back into the forest to continue their service alongside the trolli-elf army.

Adeline and Toby ran into the tunnel and separated looking for their families. “Mum! Alice!” Alice was so happy to see her sister finally there and ran to hug her.

“Oh Adeline! I thought I would never see you again.” Tears rolled down Alice’s cheeks as she pulled her sister back in for another hug. Adeline then went to her mother, who had a very proud look on her face.

“Mother dear, it’s alright, I’m safe now.” Mrs. Elvine pulled her daughter closer.

“Your father would be so very proud of you, and I know he is looking down upon you right now, smiling.”

 

Toby couldn’t find his ma and pa anywhere until he heard his name being called from behind him, “Toby my boy!” Mr. and Mrs. Mansell rushed over to their son and thanked the skies for looking out for him. “Why son, you are so very brave, and I am so relieved that you are alive and safe. You must promise that you won’t ever go too far from us again! You could have…”

“Pa, I am alright.” Toby pulled his ma and pa in for a hug that felt like it would last forever.

Part 4

            When the night was over, the humans had once again been thrown out of Timbridge and hopefully would not be returning anytime soon. Trolli-elf families were allowed to go back to their domes and resting rocks where their lives could return to normalcy. The forest hadn’t been too destroyed by the evil hoverers, but there was still some work to be done.

Later that evening King and queen Holland announced that they would like all trolli-elves to return to the festival area to discuss some things.

As they all arrived back to the festival, the trolli-elves were welcomed by the leaders. “If I could have all of your attention please…” King Holland waited for everyone to quiet down, “we have asked you here tonight to present awards of bravery to two trolli-elves among our community and to honor the wonderful act of service done by our army with the help from the Great Owls.” At that moment Theocross, Leland, and the other Great Owls appeared behind the stage standing with pride and dignity. “I would like to ask Adeline and Alice to join Mrs. Holland and I so we can reward them with these medals,” queen Holland held up two golden plaques with the names DAUGHTER OF ELVINE, ADELINE and the second one, DAUGHTER OF ELVINE, ALICE. King Holland called the two sisters up as they accepted their reward of bravery. “I give this medal to you, Miss Alice, because without your awareness of the humans, our community would have been greatly destroyed. And I give this medal to Miss Adeline for going out into the forest in a time of danger, risking her own life, to save another trolli-elf.”

Adeline whispered something into Queen Holland’s ear, making her agree with whatever she was saying. “Holland dear? I think we are forgetting one very brave trolli-elf that deserves a medal just as much,” King Holland looked at his wife in confusion, “I�",” the queen began, “�" would also like to welcome Toby, son of Mansell to join us to be rewarded with a medal. For he too, survived in the forest alone in a time of danger.” Toby couldn’t believe what he was hearing until his ma pushed him to go up on stage.

“Thank you king and queen Holland, I don’t know what to say. Well for one, I’d like to thank my ma and pa�"”

“That will be enough son, thank you” King Holland went on speaking to all of the trolli-elves reassuring that no humans would be coming for a long time and that everyone should be able to live peacefully for the time being. Lastly, he also mentioned to be more aware of your surroundings, honoring Alice once more.

When the rewards and speeches were over, the trolli-elves began to head home. Adeline and Alice caught up to Toby to ask him if he wanted to come with them to their rock for a bit. He gladly accepted the invitation and went along with them. For a few hours they sat and talked about the day before; including how amazing the Great Owls were, how scary it was for Adeline and Toby to be in such danger with no one around to help them, and but most of all how they survived through one of the most frightening events they had ever experienced.

As they ended their conversations and the sky was turning from blue to pink, Adeline and Alice left Toby to go home, trusting he wouldn’t get lost again. The winds that were blowing were from the east, the valleys were once again peaceful and calm, and the rivers through the mountains had melted and were flowing smoothly as they should be. Everything was the way it once was and the land of Timbridge rested in a serene state while thinking only of the good things to come.  

© 2017 Annie Nicole


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Thank you for sharing the excellent story

Posted 7 Years Ago


Annie Nicole

7 Years Ago

Thank you!
My favorite type of story. Myth and tale. You added the mystery of the forest and interesting characters. I liked the many interesting situation and the journey in the story. It was a fun and worthwhile read. Thank you Annie Nicole for sharing the excellent story.
Coyote

Posted 7 Years Ago


Annie Nicole

7 Years Ago

Thank you Coyote!
Coyote Poetry

7 Years Ago

You are welcome Annie.

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

129 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on April 14, 2017
Last Updated on April 14, 2017
Tags: #trolli-elves#fantasy#EvilHumans

Author

Annie Nicole
Annie Nicole

Peace , RI



About
My inspiration to do what I love comes from the deepest roots inside. From my feelings and emotions, to my experiences with the battle of life. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..