Gregory's Satisfaction

Gregory's Satisfaction

A Story by Adrienne

     "I can't believe you could do something like that!" Sarah's eyebrows sunk as she scolded her boyfriend in the popcorn line of the local movie theater. "You know, Gregory- something like egging one of your dumb friends' houses is okay in my books but actually stealing a [air of movie tickets from old people?" Sarah paused and shook her head. "like honestly, where's your decency?"

     Gregory Chalmers stood 6 feet and towered over his 5 foot 4 nagging girlfriend. He chuckled and rested his tanned hands on his hips as he began to explain himself.

     "Sarah, my sweet, calm rose..." he sarcastically seranaded his girlfriend. "I did the couple a favour! They wouldnt even hve caught the movie in time at the pace they were going, and when they dropped their tickets, it was kismet! Fate!"
 

     Sarah rolled her eyes. Too many times had Gregory blamed one of his small, vicious acts on fate. The reasons he did wheat he did, he told himself were meant to happen.

     "My god, Greg!" Sarah exclaimed so loudly that a small child in the line in front of the arguing couple looked back caustiously. "I swear this is too much, you're way to selfish Gregory."

     "Oh lay off, Sarah" Gregory finally dropped the sarcasm. "If you don't like it, leave me- but I know you're too p***y-faced. I'm all you've got." A look so appauled washed over Sarah's face.

     "Thats it Gregory Chalmers! Im done with you! Your skeevy little acts have gone on too long. If you EVER want me and my sane self back, you'll have to prove to me that you can be nice, to everyone!" Sarah snatched her purse off the ground and stormed out of the theatre. Greg stayed to watch the feature himself, unphased on the outside but regretful and upset on the inside.

     When the movie ended he walked to his yellow, run-down Honda Civic and drove home feeling guilty and sad. As he pushed himself to fall asleep, he realized partially that his girlfriend had a point -stealing was pretty uncalled for- he thought. By the time his eyes shut for the night, Gregory had promised himself a new lifestyle with no cruel acts towards anyone. "In fact" he thought, "I'll help someone out! Yeah, that'll get her back"

     The next morning, Greg casually helped anyone he could. He opened doors for others, gave a homeless man a dollar, and thanked the woman who poured his coffee. Common courtesy, something Chalmers wasnt accostomed to. It wasn't until the third day of Greg's newfound "helping hand" lifestyle that he began to start feeling like less of a selfish bum and more of a good person. People smiled at Gregory all day long.

     On the fourth day Gregory walked to work, casually with his ipod on and his rock just pounding through his headphones. He passed the McDonalds, he passed the shoppes filled with expensive shoes and classy outfits. He passed the dentist and then he stopped. In front of him to the left was the town's soup kitchen. A smell of broth seeped through the open doors leading into what sounded like a crowded room. As he stood there, a brilliant idea struck him. He pulled out his headphones as he stepped into the kitchen. When he reached the inside he saw the dozens of people. Dirty, homeless people, slowly eating their soup and buns. After a minute quickly passed, Gregory marched out of the kitchen and back onto the street, except this time he headed a different direction.

     Greg was already ten minutes tardy for work when he reached the movie theatre. With a grin, he walked up to the box office and leaned down to speak through the small holes in the clear window.  "I'll have 40 movie passes, please.."

     The box office teller looked up with a cocked eyebrow. "Excuse me?" A deep voice replied.

     "40 movie passes. You know those ones that admit one person each to any one movie they desire?" Gregory spoke with his hands in a sence, they moved with his words to express what he meant. The teller took five minutes counting small blue passes and before handing them all to Gregory he demanded

     "That comes to two-hundred and sixty-eight dollars"

     Gregory paid for every single movie pass and as quickly as he had left the soup kitchen, he returned. "Here." he said to the woman behind the first food counter. "Do me a favour and hand these out to anyone you'd like, here at the kitchen." He gave her all 40 passes and and quietly he left to work.

     For the next three weeks all sorts of dirty people entered the theater bearing little blue, heavily appreciated tickets. For years after, Gregory Chalmers felt happiness bloom in his stomach every time he remembered seeing a homeless man walk into a matinee. And hey- so did Sarah Chalmers.

    

 

© 2009 Adrienne


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

212 Views
Added on June 12, 2009

Author

Adrienne
Adrienne

Winbuck, Canada



About
I'm Adrienne. Born with three kidneys, living currently with one lol... I'm easy going but I worry about people I like to write, mostly poetry and say short stories. my favorite things to do would.. more..

Writing