Forest

Forest

A Story by Vaishnavi Reddi
"

This is a small article I wrote to start this this thing off................

"

Forest

Usually, when someone says ‘forest’, you would think about trees and animals. But do we really think ‘What is a forest’? Well, read on and I’ll tell you.
If you think a forest is a group of trees growing together, you are very wrong. A forest of actually a very complex system made out of trees, shrubs, herbs, flowers, wildlife, fungi, micro organisms, etc. It contains many non living things like rocks, sunlight, air, and so on. There are many types of forests like�"Rain forests, tropical, temperate, coniferous forests, etc.
Trees take up a large place and mostly make up the forests. Trees are very useful to human being and animals. You must know, living organisms cannot live without oxygen. And trees are an important source of fresh oxygen. An average tree produces 54 kilograms of oxygen per year, which is, in its lifetime average, in 50 years, it produces 2700 kilograms of oxygen. The trees in the forest have five levels - the canopy, the understory, the shrub layer, the herbaceous level and the layer with dead matter.
The canopy is the uppermost level. The tops of the trees make up this layer. The canopy blocks an awful lot of sunlight from entering the inside the forest. The next layer is the understory. You can say that the trees growing here and the pre-teenage or teenage trees, which are growing to reach the canopy. The last but not the least layer is the shrub layer. This layer consists of grown shrubs, young trees and bushes.
Forests give us more than 1500 products, which we use in daily life. These include honey, berries, wood, rubber, etc.
Years ago, there was a forest in almost every 3 districts, but now, there is hardly one forest in every state. People cut trees at a rate of six trees per hour. Trees support homes for sixty five percent of animals. Because of shortage of trees, many animals try to build homes in urban areas like, towns and cities. It might seem harmless for a few birds to live in cities, but what about the animals that don’t build homes but take shelter under trees? For example, monkeys.
Of course, you don’t want monkeys roaming around town, do you?
That’s all about forests today

© 2014 Vaishnavi Reddi


Author's Note

Vaishnavi Reddi
Please ignore grammar problems, and for more visit- http://treehouse-fort.blogspot.in/

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

I understand you're trying to make a statement, to draw people to your cause, which is noble in its nature, but please remove the backing, it very distracting, also your message would be better received if you checked for spelling and grammar.

Posted 9 Years Ago


Vaishnavi Reddi

9 Years Ago

Thank you so much for reading it and for the advice. About the background color, my little sis put i.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

153 Views
2 Reviews
Added on July 20, 2014
Last Updated on July 20, 2014

Author

Vaishnavi Reddi
Vaishnavi Reddi

District 12, Panem



About
I'm just someone trying to bring about awareness about the importance of saving the environment(and other funny stuff) I'm going to do this using stories and poems. Please review them. Hope you enjoy!.. more..